THE BROWNS BOARD

Brady Quinn wins the QB competition

OconRecon

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...veland_bro.html

Brady's the one: Quinn wins Cleveland Browns QB competition, will start vs. Vikings

by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Wednesday September 09, 2009, 7:44 PM

(UPDATED: 7:44 p.m.)

BEREA, Ohio -- Brady Quinn beat out Derek Anderson for the Browns' starting quarterback job and will start Sunday's opener against the Vikings, an NFL source told The Plain Dealer on Wednesday.

Quinn, who went 1-2 as a starter last season before succumbing to a broken right index finger, was told Tuesday night by Browns coach Eric Mangini that he won the job, but continued to go along with the charade when he met with reporters on Wednesday.

"He hasn't said anything to us yet," Quinn said straight-faced. "He talked to us about it, but hasn't told us anything about a final decision for us."

Anderson, who wasn't as chipper Wednesday as he's been during preseason, may have inadvertently tipped his hand during his interview session when asked if it would be hard to keep the secret the rest of the week.

"No. Because after this next two minutes are over I'm not going to be talking to you guys. It's pretty easy," he said. "Obviously, the rest of us have to go about our regular preparations and continue to do what we always do and just not talk to our families."

The last time Anderson lost a quarterback competition -- to Charlie Frye in 2007 -- he won it back by the second quarter of the opener against Pittsburgh, went 10-5, threw 29 touchdown passes and made the Pro Bowl.

"I'll continue to prepare," said Anderson. "Obviously I got in the first game. The guy who's not playing has got to be ready."

He also said he didn't think the news would divide the locker room.

"Guys respect both of us," he said. "We all have a lot of friends on the team. Guys want to win games. That's what it's about. I don't think guys in here are fighting amongst each other."

Anderson's 2007 season also dispelled the notion that splitting reps in preseason is bad for the starter's timing.

"All of our guys were in there together and we worked at it," said Anderson. "We all continue to get better. I don't think there was an issue of lack of throwing to one guy or lack of throwing to another guy."

Quinn said he didn't think the starter would be looking over his shoulder.

"I hope not," he said. "I don't think that's in the spirit of our team and how we want to do things. We're going to be supportive of each other whoever gets the job and continue to keep working on it."

Brady Quinn dismissed suggestions of lingering conflict after winning the QB competition with Derek Anderson (right). "We're going to be supportive of each other whoever gets the job and continue to keep working on it," Quinn said.Mangini informed the quarterbacks in separate conversations Tuesday night, explaining why and how the decision was made. "They both took it exactly the way that I'd expect them to take it, as pros, as good teammates," said Mangini. "Based on the way that they've competed and handled this whole situation, it's really not surprising."

He let the rest of the players find out when the 11:30 a.m. practice was closed to the media after the first 30 minutes and the team lined up for 11-on-11 drills. By 3 p.m. Bills receiver Terrell Owens tweeted "Congrats 2 Brady Quinn for starting job with Cleveland Browns."

As for asking the quarterbacks to keep it under wraps the rest of the week, Mangini said, "I don't think anybody is in an awkward spot trying to maintain a competitive advantage. We all do that. That's all of our goals.

"We're trying to do everything that we can do to win the game on Sunday. I think everybody's excited about doing that."

But if Vikings coach Brad Childress has been losing sleep over the uncertainty, he didn't let on.

"I think the big thing is that we're getting ready for a scheme," Childress said. "I can't imagine they're going to get rid of all their plays and their system. They're both bigger guys, taller in stature, one's a little faster than the other, one's got a little more experience than the other. I think it's basically getting ready for all those other people in the schemes and seeing what kind of individual skills those guys have."

Quinn admitted he'd be excited to go against Brett Favre, who's started 269 games to Quinn's three.

"A legendary quarterback like that, it would be awesome," Quinn said. "He's someone as a kid you watch growing up playing in the backyard trying to emulate. He's an unbelievable quarterback so it would be fun to go up against him if indeed that is the case."

He'll also have his hands full with the Vikings' formidable defense, one that finished fourth in the NFL in 2008 with 45 sacks.

"All around, they're a solid defense, from the D-line to their backers to their secondary," Quinn said. "They do a great job of getting pressure on the quarterback, whether just from the front four or any dogs or blitzes. Their linebackers are athletic, they're able to play the run but they also play the pass.

"Their secondary is solid all around. You've got Pro Bowlers and guys who are able to break on the ball well but also play the run well in the secondary. All around they are a solid, solid defense."

Statistically, Quinn fared better in preseason, completing 21 of 31 attempts for 225 yards with one touchdown and one interception for a 86.1 rating. Anderson completed 15 of 26 attempts with no touchdowns and two interceptions for a 51.3 rating.

"I thought we both played well in the preseason, did some good things," Quinn said. "We both got better. Both of us learned a lot through the whole process."

In the end, both think the competition was good for the team, especially if they need both QBs this season.

"We'll be able to adjust to times of adversity and it helped prepare everyone on our team," said Quinn

Here's her original article:

BEREA, Ohio -- Brady Quinn has won the quarterback competition and will start Sunday's game against the Vikings, a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Browns coach Eric Mangini told the quarterbacks Tuesday night and Quinn took the first-team reps in practice Wednesday afternoon.

Quinn acted Wednesday as though he didn't know. "We're just out there continuing to battle with one another to get everything better for our team,'' he said.

Quinn went 1-2 in his three starts last season. Details to come.

3:25 update:

The website profootballtalk.com reported that Buffalo wide receiver Terrell Owens has posted a congratulatory message to Quinn on his Twitter page

4:25 update:

Here is the complete text of what Browns coach Eric Mangini had to say about the Browns quarterback derby, according to the transcript provided by the Browns:

* On when he informed the quarterbacks who the starter would be.

"I talked to them (Tuesday) night."

* On if one quarterback took it harder than the other.

"They both took it exactly the way that I'd expect them to take it, as pros, as good teammates. Based on the way that they've competed and handled this whole situation, it's really not surprising."

* On if he told the rest of the team who the starter would be.

"I think they'll be able to figure it out."

* On if there was one announcement to the entire team concerning the starting quarterback.

"No."

* On if the quarterbacks are put in an awkward spot trying to keep the secret.

"I don't think anybody is in an awkward spot trying to maintain a competitive advantage. We all do that. That's all of our goals. We're trying to do everything that we can do to win the game on Sunday. I think everybody's excited about doing that."

Quinn appears to be winner in QB competition

- by CBS Sports

ESPN's interview with James Walker late this afternoon: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=2757

TO's tweet (the thought is they have the same agent):

Congrats 2 Brady Quinn 4 starting job w/Cleveland Browns!!

about 2 hours ago from UberTwitter

http://twitter.com/terrellowens

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...veland_bro.html

Brady Quinn wins Cleveland Browns quarterback competition

by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Wednesday September 09, 2009, 2:55 PM

Chuck Crow, The Plain DealerBrady Quinn has won the Browns quarterback derby, a league source told The Plain Dealer.

BEREA, Ohio -- Brady Quinn has won the quarterback competition and will start Sunday's game against the Vikings, a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Browns coach Eric Mangini told the quarterbacks Tuesday night and Quinn took the first-team reps in practice Wednesday afternoon.

Quinn acted Wednesday as though he didn't know. "We're just out there continuing to battle with one another to get everything better for our team,'' he said.

Quinn went 1-2 in his three starts last season. Details to come.

What planet have you been living on?

Mangini will say.

"I have nothing further to say on the QB situation"

and the press will go.

"But Eric! ERIC! Quinn took the reps with the 1st team!"

"you can make of that what you wish" will be his only reply.

That's Retarded. If Mangini does this, he has no balls. Stop being Belichick for a sec, and just announce it.

I think at this point he will place way too much pressure on himself as a coach. When you self-inflict pressure on yourself as a coach, that confuses the team. I was in agreement on this issue with EM right up until this morning.

It has now turned into borderline stupidity, and a distraction to the team. They should not have to participate in this charade AND get ready to play football.

Enough. It is over. If some advantage was to be had, it's been had.

L E T S

M O V E

F O R W A R D!

What planet have you been living on?

Mangini will say.

"I have nothing further to say on the QB situation"

and the press will go.

"But Eric! ERIC! Quinn took the reps with the 1st team!"

"you can make of that what you wish" will be his only reply.

Pretty much. I have NO idea how Mangina expected this to remain a secret. :unsure:

Guest Masters
Well, if Mangini wants no more controversy, he needs to name the starter ASAP.

He has named him. He told the QB and the team knows. So where is the controversy?

WOW SARGE !! We've never seen that pic before!!!! I guess you really showed us what a good smack talker you are...

wait....actually, our own members have posted that pic more than once. and it was lame every time.

Yeah, I know.

The fishing is easy here.

fishing_girl_lg.jpg

Give me something that's worth trying over.

I mean really? a few googled pictures and some smack talk about how good your D-lineman and AP are?

*Yawn*

Could one of the puppet masters please get Lumbergh back out? At least that's a real challenge.

Pay attention ham n egger. I haven't even mentioned AP yet.

You must be the one where all the others say to themselves "shut the hell up already woulda?"

YET....

See how much better I am than you? I already know what your next lame smack talk agenda will be.

Ofcourse it's easy since those are the only highlights of your team. Other than Brett "where's my walker" Favre.

Maybe you can find a good google picture that shows AP all buffed out? Wait, you have that hanging over your bed right?

So, let me get this straight, you knew a Vikings fan was going to bring AP in the picture? I think you win the prize for biggest dumbass here, hands down.

Archived