THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslam believes this bullshit!

▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎   🏈   ▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎

Browns Kevin Stefanski noted among top head coaches in-game management

In a chart that will surprise most Browns fans, Stefanski is lauded.   :lol:    Lauded ?  Really ?  I can think of a better word than lauded.   

By JaredMueller .  on January 23, 2023 5:36 pm

▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎   🏈   ▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎

WHAT ?     I totally don't believe this bullcrap.   Stefanski  looked so lost at key points of several games.   He blew any chance at a .500+ season ..... himself.

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 3

Go Back to the Atlanta game.  90% of posters in here hated the 4th and Goal call to go for it.  Many said take the points.   I don’t mind this side of Stefanski but I don’t like his play calls in those circumstances….  4th and 1 and you attempt a deep shot with a backup QB (Baltimore game I think) 4th and inches doing a stretch type run play (chargers game?) The list goes on.  These “chance” plays going against the grain largely worked in year 1 for him- but they have not worked over the past couple years 

I don’t like the panic he has in the second half when we are down by a score or two.  Especially when we have the best back in the league. 

• Upvote 3

He certainly can do better that's for sure.

These analytic guys need to look in the mirror & change stuff, #1 being leaving Chubb on the field in the red zone.

#2- on the road KICK THE FG, especially early in the game instead of gambling on 4th down.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is my take. If we are being honest, in general the media tends to treat the Browns with kid gloves, as if they were a special needs group.

Case in point the Cowboys are being eviscerated for losing a seventh straight divisional playoff game, and somehow, ShitMyPantski gets public praise?

Guys, be Homer's all you want, I support you, he'll, I'm still here, too, but at some point the Browns have to joint the Rest of the NFL. 1999 is long gone, we have had enough rebuilding and "we'll get em' next year bullshit.

ShitMyPantski's calm demeanor convinces many that he is firmly in control, but the continued lack of team discipline, passive play calling and execution is on him.

Championships are elusive, but putting a competitive team on the field isn't.

I hate the Cowboys, and I hate using them as an example, but I sure as fuck would prefer to have their performance reputation than that of the Browns.

I know of no metric that warrants this kind of an article for ShitMyPantski.

52 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Here is my take. If we are being honest, in general the media tends to treat the Browns with kid gloves, as if they were a special needs group.

Case in point the Cowboys are being eviscerated for losing a seventh straight divisional playoff game, and somehow, ShitMyPantski gets public praise?

Guys, be Homer's all you want, I support you, he'll, I'm still here, too, but at some point the Browns have to joint the Rest of the NFL. 1999 is long gone, we have had enough rebuilding and "we'll get em' next year bullshit.

ShitMyPantski's calm demeanor convinces many that he is firmly in control, but the continued lack of team discipline, passive play calling and execution is on him.

Championships are elusive, but putting a competitive team on the field isn't.

I hate the Cowboys, and I hate using them as an example, but I sure as fuck would prefer to have their performance reputation than that of the Browns.

I know of no metric that warrants this kind of an article for ShitMyPantski.

I think the Cleveland media is extremely negative in their coverage of the Browns. The only "rah rah" guy/gal they have is Zegura. It's so bad that the team "breaks news" to only national reporters like Schefter or Rappaport before the locals.

The local media seemed to rejoice in the Mayfield saga. Say what you will about it, I don't believe he deserved all the negative vibes thrown his way. 

Watson, well there's more negative coverage than positive- that's fine, he needs to earn fans here as that was a very risky move, drove fans away.

The sports talk radio around here is 80-90% Browns talk. Me, I don't mind it as they are by far my favorite team. 

The Tribe & Cavs will undoubtedly always be 2nd & 3rd fiddle here, unless this path continues by Haslam and he alienates the fan base even further. 

9 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I think the Cleveland media is extremely negative in their coverage of the Browns. The only "rah rah" guy/gal they have is Zegura. It's so bad that the team "breaks news" to only national reporters like Schefter or Rappaport before the locals.

The local media seemed to rejoice in the Mayfield saga. Say what you will about it, I don't believe he deserved all the negative vibes thrown his way. 

Watson, well there's more negative coverage than positive- that's fine, he needs to earn fans here as that was a very risky move, drove fans away.

The sports talk radio around here is 80-90% Browns talk. Me, I don't mind it as they are by far my favorite team. 

The Tribe & Cavs will undoubtedly always be 2nd & 3rd fiddle here, unless this path continues by Haslam and he alienates the fan base even further. 

I am talking about the national media. People across the nation have no idea who Cabot and Pluto et al are.

I am out here in Memphis, Vegas and cruisingnthe Mediterranean 6-8 times per year.

The general concensus I hear from people outside Cleveland, in an overwhelming percentage of my conversations is that the Browns are cool, and are still getting it together.

Nationwide, there are no Browns haters, Browns detractors. The regional "Browns Suck" attitude that we see really is parochial.

Part of it I imagine also goes to the fact that nobody considers this team a threat.

I have never seen Steven A. Smith tear into the Browns organization for what they have let happen to this team, have you?

What national media personality gets into the Browns? Other than bullshit Mayfield and Whackoff Watson stories?

I have never heard the national media blast Jimmy Haslam. Yet Jerry Jones is on the hot seat for going to the playoffs every year?

Sorry, I believe the NFL, media, and Godell treat the Browns with kid gloves in order to keep it as a landing spot for their recycled garbage buddies who couldn't get a job anywhere else.

With Berry, Depodesta and ShitMyPantski in place, I simply do not see this team.changing it's fortunes.

38 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I am talking about the national media. People across the nation have no idea who Cabot and Pluto et al are.

I am out here in Memphis, Vegas and cruisingnthe Mediterranean 6-8 times per year.

The general concensus I hear from people outside Cleveland, in an overwhelming percentage of my conversations is that the Browns are cool, and are still getting it together.

Nationwide, there are no Browns haters, Browns detractors. The regional "Browns Suck" attitude that we see really is parochial.

Part of it I imagine also goes to the fact that nobody considers this team a threat.

I have never seen Steven A. Smith tear into the Browns organization for what they have let happen to this team, have you?

What national media personality gets into the Browns? Other than bullshit Mayfield and Whackoff Watson stories?

I have never heard the national media blast Jimmy Haslam. Yet Jerry Jones is on the hot seat for going to the playoffs every year?

Sorry, I believe the NFL, media, and Godell treat the Browns with kid gloves in order to keep it as a landing spot for their recycled garbage buddies who couldn't get a job anywhere else.

With Berry, Depodesta and ShitMyPantski in place, I simply do not see this team.changing it's fortunes.

Well yes, for the most part you're correct. The national media doesn't rip on the Browns outside of the DW deal. 

The national media is only really interested in the "hot" teams during the season, & Dallas, Green Bay, the Patriots,& the LA/NY  markets being the exception IMHO. 

Now, the Browns are an afterthought. The NFL put 'em on 5 primetime games in 2019 & they flopped. Of course, they turned it around in 2020 only to flop again in 21 & 22. My guess is they'll get 1 primetime game this season, on the road on a Thursday ( mandated). 

Funny story- my wife & I were in Ireland in 2013 and I had a Browns T shirt on. The bartender at a pub in Belfast said " hey, your team sucks," & gave us a drink on the house. He follows the NFL, surprised me. He let me vent and got me another beer lol.

The only way this cycle of crap is going to change is if they ditch DePodesta & let Berry/Stefanski sink or swim together. DePodesta is useless. 

Berry, he almost has to go 100% on his picks this year, which is nearly impossible. Pick #43 better be a DT and a good one.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Go Back to the Atlanta game.  90% of posters in here hated the 4th and Goal call to go for it.  Many said take the points.   I don’t mind this side of Stefanski but I don’t like his play calls in those circumstances….  4th and 1 and you attempt a deep shot with a backup QB (Baltimore game I think) 4th and inches doing a stretch type run play (chargers game?) The list goes on.  These “chance” plays going against the grain largely worked in year 1 for him- but they have not worked over the past couple years 

I hear you.  I didn't like when he took 3 points off the board to go for it on 4th and 4.  But when I look around the league, They're all doing stupid shit on 4th down now!  And let's not forget Depodesta's vision, He's not interested in 4 yard runs.  He wants 13 yard passes.  As our new DC Schwartz said, Haslem is a hands on owner. (we, of course, knew that)  And Haslem agrees with Depo's analytical philosophy.  So, in THIS environment, in order to survive as the HC, you've gotta follow the company line....and still win.  

And with all of Stef's antics on 4th down, he's one of the most successful in the league at it.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

And Stan, and Gipper.

The list is growing.   They set the new time on the Doomsday clock today.   What time is it for each of us individually?   C'mon Browns.  While we're still here please.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So apparently the only metric that puts coach in this list is his 4th down decision-making. Would be interested to see what parameters this consists of, as it is possibly my greatest area of criticism on his coaching. He is far too eager to take risks on 4th down, including slow developing trick plays aimed for the end zone. I would indeed like to have seen him just put points on the board more often, and just go for the damn 1st, in stead of 6. 

I think he does fine.  If you like the positives, you have to take the negatives, and those will happen.

It wasn't that long ago that we totally sucked and I was saying that no matter the field position, we should go for it every time it was 4th and less than 5.

22 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Really? People think the Browns are cool? lol...and since 1999 are "still getting it together" is a positive thing? 

Are you like 6ft. 6 and mean looking as fuck? Maybe people are afraid to say how they really feel to your face. LOL

Very true, there are few Browns haters. One main criteria for being hated is that you have to be good. "Success breeds envy and envy breeds hatred". The Pats, Cowboys, Steelers, and Packers have historically been among the most hated teams in the NFL. I would love for the Browns to be among the hated.

Rather there is pity, on a few occasions when I mention that I'm from Cleveland or am a Browns fan, the response in a joking manner is " sorry to hear that".

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I think he does fine.  If you like the positives, you have to take the negatives, and those will happen.

It wasn't that long ago that we totally sucked and I was saying that no matter the field position, we should go for it every time it was 4th and less than 5.

Some posted above some stupid risky 4th down plays that ended up costing the game. I guess I'll argue (don't really want to) that you cannot continue to roll the dice AND fail. It turned a possible 10-7 season into 7-10. 

Stefanski even said it at his press conference at the end of the season- there's a fine line between the teams that made the playoffs, and the teams that just missed them....unfortunately his/their decision making ultimately lead to just missing. 

Sorry man, as the BenGals showed vs the Bills, take the points, get the ball back and get back at 'em. The Browns NEED to learn from this- jeez they were in control of the Bills game in Detroit until a stupid Brissett fumble....on a 4th down gamble!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FY56 said:

Really? People think the Browns are cool? lol...and since 1999 are "still getting it together" is a positive thing? 

You mean 1964 don't you?

6 hours ago, FY56 said:

Are you like 6ft. 6 and mean looking as fuck? Maybe people are afraid to say how they really feel to your face. LOL

Very true, there are few Browns haters. One main criteria for being hated is that you have to be good. "Success breeds envy and envy breeds hatred". The Pats, Cowboys, Steelers, and Packers have historically been among the most hated teams in the NFL. I would love for the Browns to be among the hated.

Rather there is pity, on a few occasions when I mention that I'm from Cleveland or am a Browns fan, the response in a joking manner is " sorry to hear that".

I remember being in South Carolina during the Hue Jackson tenure. I was in a restaurant wearing my Browns shirt, and a guy came up to me and asked why am I wearing that shirt? I told him I was a bandwagon Browns fan. He walked away laughing his ass off. I wear my Browns gear year round with pride.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ballpeen said:

...and back then I was thinking, 'Thank God teams don't go for it on 4th down, because they'd convert 90% of the time against us'.

But that was back then.  Now, somebody went to a seminar where it was explained that you should do crazy shit on 4th down.  And everybody clapped at the end.  So everybody's doing crazy shit.  The Chargers shoulda' lost against us.  They gave us the friggin' ball on downs (crazy shit)....but we missed the FG.  :(

---- So, if the FG was good, we beat the Chargers.....if Chubb doesn't go into the end zone against the Jets, we win that game.....and if we had a retractable roof on the stadium the passes don't slide through frozen receivers' hands in the end zone, and we beat the Saints.    10-7 instead of 7-10.  With an underperforming defense.

24 minutes ago, Orion said:

...and back then I was thinking, 'Thank God teams don't go for it on 4th down, because they'd convert 90% of the time against us'.

But that was back then.  Now, somebody went to a seminar where it was explained that you should do crazy shit on 4th down.  And everybody clapped at the end.  So everybody's doing crazy shit.  The Chargers shoulda' lost against us.  They gave us the friggin' ball on downs (crazy shit)....but we missed the FG.  :(

---- So, if the FG was good, we beat the Chargers.....if Chubb doesn't go into the end zone against the Jets, we win that game.....and if we had a retractable roof on the stadium the passes don't slide through frozen receivers' hands in the end zone, and we beat the Saints.    10-7 instead of 7-10.  With an underperforming defense.

I do this at this at the end of every year too.

I added the Falcons game- it gave me heartburn and that should have been a W.  If we get a few bounces and Myles doesn’t race his car.

Just to keep my sanity I go back think of the games where we could have lost but won- I came up with just 1 game!!!  You could argue the short handed Ravens with a healthy Lamar might have beaten us. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I do this at this at the end of every year too.

I added the Falcons game- it gave me heartburn and that should have been a W.  If we get a few bounces and Myles doesn’t race his car.

Just to keep my sanity I go back think of the games where we could have lost but won- I came up with just 1 game!!!  You could argue the short handed Ravens with a healthy Lamar might have beaten us. 

I disagree on the Ratbird game. We should have swept 'em. I'm sure you recall the phantom false start on the FG attempt. Of course, no guarantees York makes it.

The Ratbirds are a mess IMHO. 

Regardless, coulda, shoulda, woulda seems to be the theme with our Browns. It's maddening.

No doubt there needs to be a balance.  Just like gambling in Vegas, there is a time where it makes sense to double down, and times it doesn't.

You never know how missing out on 3 points is going to impact a game.  My feeling is if it is early enough in the game, it doesn't change much as you have ample time and chances to make the decision moot.

Sure, at games end it is easy to point out those 3 points, but what about all the other lost chances during the game?  I'll also point out that taking those 3 points still doesn't mean we aren't going to lose by 3 points or less.

One bad hand in Vegas isn't the reason you went bust.

11 hours ago, nickers said:

You mean 1964 don't you?

We didn't win a championship since then true, but the late 80's was a great time to be a Browns fan....even if we did lose to horseface.

Mack and Byner, Minnifield and Dixon...the most celebrated, talked about tandems from that era.  They made us badass. The Mt. Rushmore of the 80's Browns.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FY56 said:

We didn't win a championship since then true, but the late 80's was a great time to be a Browns fan....even if we did lose to horseface.

Mack and Byner, Minnifield and Dixon...the most celebrated, talked about tandems from that era.  They made us badass. The Mt. Rushmore of the 80's Browns.

It was a fun time, yet it all ended in failure.  Anything less than a Super Bowl win is a failed season.  If you don't win the title, you are simply measuring the degree of failure.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

It was a fun time, yet it all ended in failure.  Anything less than a Super Bowl win is a failed season.  If you don't win the title, you are simply measuring the degree of failure.

That is a version of failure, but I'd much rather be appearing in AFC Championship games and losing than be the current version of failure we find ourselves in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FY56 said:

We are of the same experience. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2023 at 3:28 PM, Bob806 said:

Well yes, for the most part you're correct. The national media doesn't rip on the Browns outside of the DW deal. 

The national media is only really interested in the "hot" teams during the season, & Dallas, Green Bay, the Patriots,& the LA/NY  markets being the exception IMHO. 

Now, the Browns are an afterthought. The NFL put 'em on 5 primetime games in 2019 & they flopped. Of course, they turned it around in 2020 only to flop again in 21 & 22. My guess is they'll get 1 primetime game this season, on the road on a Thursday ( mandated). 

Funny story- my wife & I were in Ireland in 2013 and I had a Browns T shirt on. The bartender at a pub in Belfast said " hey, your team sucks," & gave us a drink on the house. He follows the NFL, surprised me. He let me vent and got me another beer lol.

The only way this cycle of crap is going to change is if they ditch DePodesta & let Berry/Stefanski sink or swim together. DePodesta is useless. 

Berry, he almost has to go 100% on his picks this year, which is nearly impossible. Pick #43 better be a DT and a good one.

Well said, and I agree 100%. At some point ShitMyPantski has to stand up and do things his way.

I don't believe he is running the team the way he wants to.

• Upvote 4