THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

round 3 and Berry drafted DE Alex Wright with our 3rd choice in that round...Isaiah Thomas, looked even better

Tia also favors Thomas.   So maybe they stand pat and go with their draft picks of last year.  It worked out so well with Elliott and Togiai.  :) 

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

a decent WR2 in DPJ, and a talented guy for the slot in Bell. We also have Jakeem Grant coming back from injury, and Demetric Felton

Hopefully Bell will progress year by year (like, this year :) ).  Grant, I don't have anything to base optimism or pessimism on.  I'd be surprised if Felton survives roster cuts.  If he does, then we didn't improve the position much, IMO.  

Less than a week to FA.

5 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

DT - #1 priority. As much as I would love to see if pairing Javon Hargrave with Myles would be similar to Hayward and Watt, I don't see us spending that kind of money. Remember the combined pressure of those two had our O-line blocking in a posture reminiscent of the Neil Degrasse meme. They didn't want any part of them.

I've mentioned before that I think Dalvin Tomlinson is probably the best value FA. Doesn't get to the passer anywhere near as much as Hargrave, but at less than half the price and a year younger, he is just better value. Would probably still draft another development DT in a later round.

Goes back to a wishlist I have - a monster edge and a 3 tech to push the interior.  Especially on the same side of the center, it's incredibly difficult to deal with.  

Agreed.  And I'm fine with Dalvin not being a big interior pass rusher, this teams sorely lacks the ability to limit the run.    Which means, as a defensive whole, we miss out on opportunities to rush the passer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

this teams sorely lacks the ability to limit the run.    Which means, as a defensive whole, we miss out on opportunities to rush the passer.

Right.  Because, does it matter how well you can rush the passer...if you can't stop the run?  

All of the good CB's and edge rushers that we draft and/or acquire...to defend in this pass happy NFL...aren't of real value to us when the worst rushing team(s) in the league put up 200 yards on us.  (Chargers, 238 yards)

The reality is, we've gotta do WhatEver it takes to fix that.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Right.  Because, does it matter how well you can rush the passer...if you can't stop the run?  

All of the good CB's and edge rushers that we draft and/or acquire...to defend in this pass happy NFL...aren't of real value to us when the worst rushing team(s) in the league put up 200 yards on us.  (Chargers, 238 yards)

The reality is, we've gotta do WhatEver it takes to fix that.  

Kind of like the chicken or the egg question.

I suppose one could say that stopping the run doesn't matter if you can't stop the pass.  I think back to something Schwartz said in an early presser.  He wants to stop the run on the way to rushing the passer.  LOL..  I guess that is his way of saying he wants guys who can do it all.

I can agree with that.  Right now we all seem to be in "either or" discussions.  If we are going to talk in those terms I guess I would favor the pass rusher.

It's harder to find those guys and you can get some run stopping ability.  Run stoppers do pretty much just that and don't do much to collapse a pocket.  We also have to consider that DT's don't get many sacks.  Their real help in the pass game is to be able to collapse the pocket.  If the DTs can push the pocket, QB's don't like not being able to step up.  They start to feel surrounded and begin to panic.  We don't need sacks out of DT's, we just need them to be able to push the pocket back 3-4 yards.

Browns attend Odell Beckham Jr. workout
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10068372-odell-beckham-jr-rumors-cowboys-skip-wrs-workout-jets-patriots-giants-attend

Fits in with WR2 being a position of interest for the Browns. But again, surely not! 

PFF projects the Browns to land Dalvin Tomlinson in free agency
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/10/browns-dalvin-tomlinson-pff/

Now that's more like it. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Tia also favors Thomas.   So maybe they stand pat and go with their draft picks of last year.  It worked out so well with Elliott and Togiai.  :) 

That, or we could just start redrafting the same position in the first round we enter the draft every year.  That'll move us as far forward as sprinting on a treadmill would.

I posted numerous times pre-draft that I wanted a DT last year with our very 1st selection (#68 overall) of round 3 (and I wasn't the only one wanting this pre-hindsight 20/20).  I even named the guy I thought we could get there (Travis Jones).  Turns out we drafted a very good corner with that selection; and then the Rats drafted Jones at #76 overall.  2 spots later, the Browns reached on Alex Wright at #78 overall.  Not at all what I wanted our FO to do with our 2nd pick; but something was warming Berry's groin about the guy to reach that far.  IMO, we didn't have the volume of early picks to dick around like that. I don't hold my opinions hostage so I shared a wtf or 2 about it all.  

I know a lot of people think I'm really negative about Berry; but here you are challenging me about standing pat on a guy I didn't even want us to draft.  Now that Berry committed to him, he's not just gonna cut the guy and re-draft his position before seeing what his guy does with a year of experience under his belt.  So yeah, it's important he pans out whether some of us thinks he can or not.  We're at the mercy of this GM nobody wants to hold accountable.  If he doesn't pan out, you can pretend I drafted him and get mad at me all you want.  I'll still have nothing but love for ya!

As for the part I bolded from you above, instead of trying to do better at the DE position the Browns have given attention to in the draft and FA - I'd rather have us address the IDL/DT position this FO neglected.  I'm sure our LBers would appreciate that too.   I was hoping we got a steal with Winfrey in round 4; but Nurse Ratched wasn't his position coach.  Maybe the Browns will actually REASEARCH the DT position for a refreshing change under Berry.  

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Kind of like the chicken or the egg question.

I suppose one could say that stopping the run doesn't matter if you can't stop the pass.  I think back to something Schwartz said in an early presser.  He wants to stop the run on the way to rushing the passer.  LOL..  I guess that is his way of saying he wants guys who can do it all.

I can agree with that.  Right now we all seem to be in "either or" discussions.  If we are going to talk in those terms I guess I would favor the pass rusher.

It's harder to find those guys and you can get some run stopping ability.  Run stoppers do pretty much just that and don't do much to collapse a pocket.  We also have to consider that DT's don't get many sacks.  Their real help in the pass game is to be able to collapse the pocket.  If the DTs can push the pocket, QB's don't like not being able to step up.  They start to feel surrounded and begin to panic.  We don't need sacks out of DT's, we just need them to be able to push the pocket back 3-4 yards.

Yes and no.  The great divide being the red zone, or money zone, depending on who you ask.  A team like the Ravens, despite having a pretty awful secondary, was able to make their bones off being an effective redzone defense.  Their ability to snuff out the run when the field shrinks to the bare minimum, the passing game takes a back seat and you have to move bodies was pretty outstanding.    

While I was just a kid, the 02' Browns were VERY similar.  Gave up a ton of yards for various reasons, but bowed their necks in the redzone to force field goals.  

Meanwhile CLE was the total opposite this year and the opposing TD% in the redzone speaks to that.

But, much like anything else, you can't be too out of balanced.  Having awful DB's means that your pass rush doesn't get that extra half second it might need to get pressure.  Having a terrible pass rush means your DB's are out in patterns for a lifetime.  I will say this though,  I'm probably the youngest person on this board, but in my lifetime I've NEVER seen a great defensive backfield makeup for a below average defensive front.   However I have seen a great defensive front make up for below average DB play.   And I say that as somebody who calls DB 'home'. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Orion said:

Hopefully Bell will progress year by year (like, this year :) ).  Grant, I don't have anything to base optimism or pessimism on.  I'd be surprised if Felton survives roster cuts.  If he does, then we didn't improve the position much, IMO.  

Less than a week to FA.

IT has shown more in his rookie season than Double T did in 2 years.    As much as it pains me to say that about a Buckeye.  

58 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Now that Berry committed to him, he's not just gonna cut the guy and re-draft his position before seeing what his guy does with a year of experience under his belt.

That's the way GM's are.  The draft picks get the benefit of the doubt.  GM's don't want their draft picks getting cut.  It makes them look bad.  An undrafted player has to really outshine a drafted player almost like the sun compared to the moon in order to unseat a draft pick. 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

the DE position the Browns have given attention to in the draft and FA - I'd rather have us address the IDL/DT position this FO neglected.

I guarantee you that the DT position will be addressed in the coming month and a half.  We all saw the problem.  It's impossible to ignore this time around.  One could make a strong argument that the DT position lost us multiple games and was probably the main factor that we didn't make a playoff run.

That said, there would be no guarantee that a suitable DT will be available at pick 43 (or 44, whatever our 1st pick is).  And it's SUCH a big issue that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it happen this Monday when legal tampering begins.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I guarantee you that the DT position will be addressed in the coming month and a half.  We all saw the problem.  It's impossible to ignore this time around.  One could make a strong argument that the DT position lost us multiple games and was probably the main factor that we didn't make a playoff run.

That said, there would be no guarantee that a suitable DT will be available at pick 43 (or 44, whatever our 1st pick is).  And it's SUCH a big issue that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it happen this Monday when legal tampering begins.

I'll start with the good.  I appreciate you trying to make me feel better about DT.

My worries?  I'm gonna forget I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and be a chain smoker by the time we draft a long snapper in round 2.

I'm still worried about a GM who decides he wants to go with lighter/smaller framed LBers while forfeiting/neglecting the IDL positions in front of them LOST us multiple games and 4 LBers to IR. That type of planning from a guy that is responsible for building our team showed me a guy that didn't understand the line of scrimmage on the defensive side of the ball at all

I'm not nearly as worried about a suitable DT being available at pick #43 overall as I am about Berry knowing who is suitable and who is not at that spot.  I think that's why the guy reaches more than he needs to.  This will be Berry's 4th draft.  The only offensive or defensive linemen he has drafted that definitively projects to be starting this year is Wills; and that's not exactly impressing the masses. If we can't keep Pocic, we may be deciding between 5th round pick Nick Harris and 7th round pick Dawson Deaton or Hjalte Froholdt (a former 4th rd pick and offensive guard for NE that filled in at C here when Pocic was injured).

Before the NFL increased the salary cap for this offseason,  the Browns were one of the teams with the least amount of money to spend.  I'm guessing the Browns are still in this situation.  When you have to keep signing FA veterans from other teams because you're not drafting well - they cost way more than rookies under the rookie salary cap restrictions.  This HAS to get better; but it won't if the Browns keep scapegoating the symptoms of Berry's bad decisions on draft day.

The 30-year-old appeared in just seven games during the 2020 season before suffering a torn ACL. He appeared in six games with Cleveland in 2021 before being released and signing with the Los Angeles Rams, whom he won a Super Bowl with in 2022.

Beckham tore his ACL during the Super Bowl with L.A., and he sat out the entire 2022 season while recovering from the ailment.

The three-time Pro Bowler held a workout for interested teams earlier this week in Arizona, and the Browns were among the franchises that had a group in attendance. According to Cabot, "the Browns and Beckham have remained on good terms since his controversial departure from the team in November of 2021."

Cabot added that Beckham was "universally loved" in the Browns locker room and that "there were rumblings he wanted to return after they traded for Deshaun Watson" last season.

Considering Beckham is a free agent this winter, has familiarity with the team and likely won't command a large contract, he would be a solid option for the Browns.

1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Pocic resigned for 3 years. Nice!

Great.  I was quite concerned with the center position because everyone was expecting him to sign elsewhere.  

Sources: Obo Okoronkwo is siging with the #Browns, getting a 3-year deal worth $19M with a chance to make $22M. He gets $12.5M guaranteed.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       50 8 0 0 0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 9.5 78 52 26 14 24   8
3 yrs LAR     33 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 4.5 34 20 14 5 13   3
1 yr HOU     17 8 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 5.0 44 32 12 9 11   5
2019 24 LAR LB 45 10 0     0     0 0 0 0 0 1.5 7 3 4 1 4   1
2020 25 LAR LB 45 10 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.0 12 8 4 1 3   1
2021 26 LAR LB 45 13 0     0     2 0 0 0 0 2.0 15 9 6 3 6   1
2022 27 HOU DL 45 17 8 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 5.0 44 32 12 9 11   5

Seems like a Winovich replacement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neo said:

A bit off topic, who's that returner we signed that tore his ACL (Jakeem Grant?), does anybody know where he's at in his recovery. It will be interesting to see him back in the fold.

i think they re structured his contract and is good to go for us next season

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:13 AM, gumby73 said:

FA's .. I'm a fan of Germaine Pratt as our Mike LB.. He stays healthy/upright.. Need the dollar difference/separation if keeping A.Walker.. 

On 3/2/2023 at 6:03 AM, gumby73 said:

What's your opinion on another former 3rd round pick ?

Possible Lions FA?   Alex Anzalone/age 28 .. I just love the guys motor/effort since with the Saints. more so, Alex may fit our tight cap budget?

He's played some Mike at 6'3" 235-240lbs. is what I've seen.. Is Anzalone a better option than Taki/Walker in your opinion?

Come to find out..

Both Germain Pratt & Alex Anzalone have re-signed with same teams, Bengals & Lions... about 7M per year was the keeping price tag.. Saw some Linebackers got moved today too..

pricey $ LB market

edit-- Day 1 tampering updates.. https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Analyzing-All-the-Moves-in-NFL-Free-Agency-from-a-Cleveland-Browns-Angle-206266706/#206266706_2

Who's Un-signed by position? https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-nfl-free-agency-tracker-cuts-trades-signings

1 hour ago, syd said:

Takitaki to sign a 1 year for 2.5 million

He had his best year last year.  Like everyone else on D, he's going to have to learn the new D...but he's been here and knows the lay of the land.  

Pocic is good news, glad to see it done.

Ob OK is an interesting sign.  At the length and dollar rate, screams DPR.  Funny enough given something I mentioned to Tex about the role Nolan Smith would play in this defense were the Brownies to draft him.   Seems to me they found that role already.  

• Upvote 2

Browns signing former Vikings DT Dalvin Tomlinson to four-year, $57M contract

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-signing-former-vikings-dt-dalvin-tomlinson-to-four-year-57m-contract

The Cleveland Browns are bringing in a big body up front for big money.

Cleveland is expected to sign former Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson to a four-year, $57 million deal with $27.5 million guaranteed, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday night.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Browns signing former Vikings DT Dalvin Tomlinson to four-year, $57M contract

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-signing-former-vikings-dt-dalvin-tomlinson-to-four-year-57m-contract

The Cleveland Browns are bringing in a big body up front for big money.

Cleveland is expected to sign former Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson to a four-year, $57 million deal with $27.5 million guaranteed, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday night.

You just beat me to that :  

The Minnesota Vikings had moved back the date that defensive end Dalvin Tomlinson’s contract voids to March 15th in hopes of re-signing him to a long-term deal. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, that won’t be happening as Tomlinson has agreed to a four-year deal with the Cleveland Browns.

The deal is worth $14.25 million average annual value with $27.5 million guaranteed. This is the second time that Tomlinson has been able to cash in during free agency after signing a two year, $21 million deal with the Vikings in 2021.

The Vikings now have lost one of their two defensive lineman free agents with the other being Jonathan Bullard. Don’t be surprised if he followes Vic Fangio to Miami.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:
Sources: Obo Okoronkwo is siging with the #Browns, getting a 3-year deal worth $19M with a chance to make $22M. He gets $12.5M guaranteed.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       50 8 0 0 0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 9.5 78 52 26 14 24   8
3 yrs LAR     33 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 4.5 34 20 14 5 13   3
1 yr HOU     17 8 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 5.0 44 32 12 9 11   5
2019 24 LAR LB 45 10 0     0     0 0 0 0 0 1.5 7 3 4 1 4   1
2020 25 LAR LB 45 10 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.0 12 8 4 1 3   1
2021 26 LAR LB 45 13 0     0     2 0 0 0 0 2.0 15 9 6 3 6   1
2022 27 HOU DL 45 17 8 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 5.0 44 32 12 9 11   5

Seems like a Winovich replacement.

He may be better.  I think the team looked at his uptick once he was starting games and had more opportunities.  He had a pretty nice uptick in sacks, tackles,  and QB hits. I know you can't just double his numbers but that might be the way to look at what he could bring this year.

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Pocic is good news, glad to see it done.

Ob OK is an interesting sign.  At the length and dollar rate, screams DPR.  Funny enough given something I mentioned to Tex about the role Nolan Smith would play in this defense were the Brownies to draft him.   Seems to me they found that role already.  

I was a bit shocked with the Pocic signing...in a good way.  I can't say that Harris gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.  The signing gives us stability along the O-line.

I agree about filling the role/need with the Obo signing.  He improved on the trackable number last year, starting about half the game.  It isn't unreasonable to see those numbers go up in a substantial way given more opportunities this year.

Tomlinson adds the size this D front has lacked for a long time.  We know he is stout against the run.  It will be interesting to see how much juice he brings against the pass.  I don't look for sacks as much as the ability to squeeze the pocket on the QB.  It will also be interesting to see how his addition will help guys like Winfree and Bryant.

I still think we need to add more talent to the room and get rid of guys like Togiai, but I think we just made a big step towards fixing that room.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Good depth guy, glad to see him come back.

Based solely on his last name, he's my mom's favorite Browns player. 😁

Me too - I like him.  I remembered worrying about our LBer Corps heading into 2020 - this guy made a lot of HUGE plays for us down the stretch and into the playoffs that year.  He was Roethlisberger's most reliable receiver.

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

He may be better.  I think the team looked at his uptick once he was starting games and had more opportunities.  He had a pretty nice uptick in sacks, tackles,  and QB hits. I know you can't just double his numbers but that might be the way to look at what he could bring this year.

The last guy that played behind Von Miller before entering free agency was Shaquil Barrett who was signed by Tampa Bay in 2019 and went on to lead the NFL with 19.5 sacks that year.  I'm guessing nobody saw that coming beside the very proud feller that signed him.  I'm also guessing Miller cut into Obo's playing time/reps with the Rams.  From a fan that's been pretty negative/skeptical this off-season, I think this might be a really good find and fit by our FO that doesn't give up too much cap at the same time.  

• Like 1