THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You just beat me to that :  

The Minnesota Vikings had moved back the date that defensive end Dalvin Tomlinson’s contract voids to March 15th in hopes of re-signing him to a long-term deal. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, that won’t be happening as Tomlinson has agreed to a four-year deal with the Cleveland Browns.

The deal is worth $14.25 million average annual value with $27.5 million guaranteed. This is the second time that Tomlinson has been able to cash in during free agency after signing a two year, $21 million deal with the Vikings in 2021.

The Vikings now have lost one of their two defensive lineman free agents with the other being Jonathan Bullard. Don’t be surprised if he followes Vic Fangio to Miami.

Interesting thing I found after the headline referred to him as a DT but the article mentioned him as a DE - Lindy's Pro Football Preview in 2021 listed him as a DT for the Vikings at 319 lbs.  Heading into 2022, we was listed as a DE at 327 lbs.  If true, I'll bet Schwartz will be happy to welcome this type of flexibility into his front.  

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Dalvin Tomlinson eh? Now I suppose I will have to admit I am not above saying: I told you so...

Great call and great pickup.  Recall his days in NYG. 

Plays with great leverage and has those quick hands- wrestling background of course.  I believe he was a three time state wrestling champ in HS. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Interesting thing I found after the headline referred to him as a DT but the article mentioned him as a DE - Lindy's Pro Football Preview in 2021 listed him as a DT for the Vikings at 319 lbs.  Heading into 2022, we was listed as a DE at 327 lbs.  If true, I'll bet Schwartz will be happy to welcome this type of flexibility into his front.  

He actually played 1 Technique with the Giants. I think primarily 3 Technique with the Vikes 

• Thanks 1

Wonder what sort of $ Poona Ford is looking for.... ?  

edit: As an aside, I'm shocked the Browns didn't make a stronger push for Greg Gaines.  Younger, likely a pinch cheaper than DT and still fits a mold this defense needs.  

With this front office, I know age is a big factor and at 26, I just figured the natural fit would invite pursuit.  

double edit: And to be clear, as much as I enjoy the Tomlinson signing, he's going to be 30 after next season.  So you're looking at a 3 year deal around $28mil in all reality.  

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Wonder what sort of $ Poona Ford is looking for.... ?  

edit: As an aside, I'm shocked the Browns didn't make a stronger push for Greg Gaines.  Younger, likely a pinch cheaper than DT and still fits a mold this defense needs.  

With this front office, I know age is a big factor and at 26, I just figured the natural fit would invite pursuit.  

double edit: And to be clear, as much as I enjoy the Tomlinson signing, he's going to be 30 after next season.  So you're looking at a 3 year deal around $28mil in all reality.  

Who knows?  Maybe Gaines was of interest, but we got a cool reception by his agent.  Maybe that was a way of saying his guy didn't want to play here, or a signal he was going to play one team against the other in salary talks?

As for age, I don't think a year makes much difference when you are talking about guys going for a 2nd, or maybe it is 3rd contract.  He is still inside the window for a DT.  As for anything longer, I never really look for that outside of drafted rookies.    If the guy is still stout enough, maybe we extend him for a few more years, but as you say, I wouldn't count on it.  In todays NFL landscape, it's hard to project anybody out much more than 4 years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm shocked the Browns didn't make a stronger push for Greg Gaines.  Younger, likely a pinch cheaper than DT and still fits a mold this defense needs.

I think what sets him apart is that his initials correlate with his position.  He's a natural fit.  It's aphabetycs...which is a spinoff of analytics.

• Haha 3

We need a Mike unless you want to roll it back with Walker Jr… He’s  played 16 of the last 34 games.

Phillips is a special teams guy. Is Deion Jones a scheme fit?  it has been said that Schwartz likes his backers on the bigger side. 

Jack Campbell Iowa is intriguing

13 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We need a Mike unless you want to roll it back with Walker Jr… He’s  played 16 of the last 34 games.

He did a fairly good job

Phillips is a special teams guy. Is Deion Jones a scheme fit?  it has been said that Schwartz likes his backers on the bigger side. 

Jack Campbell Iowa is intriguing

At his introductory presser Schwartz said he doesn't want LB'ers much over 250 lbs.  

24 minutes ago, Orion said:

At his introductory presser Schwartz said he doesn't want LB'ers much over 250 lbs.  

that seems bigger than the usual or the trend is lighter than that lately.

Jones is listed at couple slices of pizza over 220.

Campbell is 250.

Walker like you said did a decent job but can he be available

Dig IT ! 

i4Ll6dTH_normal.jpg

Two-time Super Bowl winner Juan Thornhill agreed to terms with the #Browns on a three-year, $21 million contract with $14 million fully guaranteed at signing over the first two years, per sources. Thornhill started 52 games for the #Chiefs. A big addition for Cleveland.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Best of luck to him.  He's a good guy and he did a good job for us.

Not that we have had many good ones heck even decent ones…but Brissett might be my favorite Browns QB of the new era Browns. 

Hate to see him go but he needs a better opportunity 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

Not that we have had many good ones heck even decent ones…but Brissett might be my favorite Browns QB of the new era Browns. 

Hate to see him go but he needs a better opportunity 

It will be interesting to see what the Browns do at backup QB. 

Any decent vet QBs out there? 

28 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

WR in the 2nd round really seems like a good fit.

WR is pretty deep this year.. unless JSN or Zay Flowers somehow fall I doubt anything other than DT is likely at 2. Still need dt2 and dt3 if Winfrey is dt4.

Downs at the comp pick or rd4 would be solid as WR3.

Browns Release DE Jadeveon Clowney

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/15/browns-release-defensive-end-jadeveon-clowney

The Browns released veteran defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, the NFL announced on Wednesday.

The move wasn’t a total surprise, as Clowney has reiterated over the past few months that he expected to be enter free agency. The three-time Pro Bowler played the last two seasons in Cleveland.

Clowney was the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL draft by the Texans. He played there until 2019, earning Pro Bowl honors three times while in Houston.

After playing one season with the Seahawks and one with the Titans, Clowney arrived in Cleveland in 2021. But the 2022 season ended on a sour note, as the team sat him out of the season finale against the Steelers after he made comments to media about his usage. The Browns missed the playoffs for the second straight year after finishing at the bottom of the AFC North at 7–10.

During his two seasons in Cleveland, the defensive end produced 65 tackles, 11 sacks, three forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Clowney was reportedly released with a post-June 1 designation, meaning the move will save the Browns $1.6 million in cap space. On top of releasing Clowney, the Browns also released safety John Johnson. 

Browns agree with DT Maurice Hurst on a 1-year deal

• Published: Mar. 15, 2023, 11:38 p.m

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/03/browns-agree-with-dt-maurice-hurst-on-a-1-year-deal.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns are giving former Michigan defensive tackle Maurice Hurst a chance to resurrect his career.

They’re signing the 2018 fifth-round pick of the Raiders to a one-year contract for defensive line depth, a league source told cleveland.com. Brad Stainbrook reported it first.

Hurst, 27, signed with the 49ers in 2021 after three underwhelming seasons with the Raiders, and had each of the last two seasons derailed by injuries.

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:
Two-time Super Bowl winner Juan Thornhill agreed to terms with the #Browns on a three-year, $21 million contract with $14 million fully guaranteed at signing over the first two years, per sources. Thornhill started 52 games for the #Chiefs. A big addition for Cleveland.

Scratch Safety of the needs list. Seems like we are really gearing up for BPA and long term with the draft.

As for Juan, his numbers have gone up with his snap count the past years. Seems like a solid, if somewhat unspectacular addition. Front office looking for 'value for money' gets a thumbs up from me.

• Like 1