THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

18 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

that seems bigger than the usual or the trend is lighter than that lately.

Jones is listed at couple slices of pizza over 220.

Campbell is 250.

Walker like you said did a decent job but can he be available

Yeah, 250 lbs is fine if the guy shows on film he's productive at that weight like I'm guessing Campbell does.  Keep in mind, an NFL strength and conditioning program can easily get Campbell to play at any advisable/recommended weight his coach/coordinator would like him to play at.  So can a contract for that matter.  NFL Strength and Conditioning programs like to analyze body compositions to track to how their program impacts the percentages of lean tissue and body fat. More specifically, it gives them a better idea of the quality of body weight a player is carrying. In saying that, there's always exceptions to the rule where a big bellied guy moves around way faster than the book cover advertises.

19 hours ago, Orion said:

At his introductory presser Schwartz said he doesn't want LB'ers much over 250 lbs.  

Given his experience coaching, that probably a very good guideline to go by.  He was at the beginning of his NFL career in Cleveland when we had Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks playing some very good LBer.  

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Dig IT ! 

i4Ll6dTH_normal.jpg

Two-time Super Bowl winner Juan Thornhill agreed to terms with the #Browns on a three-year, $21 million contract with $14 million fully guaranteed at signing over the first two years, per sources. Thornhill started 52 games for the #Chiefs. A big addition for Cleveland.

Let me preface what I'm about to share is only from the lens of a sportswriter used by Lindy's Pro Football Preview in 2021 and 2022; and it's not anything bad IMO.

Anyway, here's what it had to say about this former 2nd round draft pick of the KC Chiefs in 2019.  Prior to 2021, it said "Fully recovered from ACL Injury, Thornhill hopes to bounce back to rookie-year form."  Prior to 2022, it said "Still looking to return to form before ACL injury ended rookie season 2 years ago." 

You can probably look up PFF ratings/scores and see what our Defensive Back expert @tiamat63 sees on film for better details about how Juan Thornhill has done most recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Let me preface what I'm about to share is only from the lens of a sportswriter used by Lindy's Pro Football Preview in 2021 and 2022; and it's not anything bad IMO.

Anyway, here's what it had to say about this former 2nd round draft pick of the KC Chiefs in 2019.  Prior to 2021, it said "Fully recovered from ACL Injury, Thornhill hopes to bounce back to rookie-year form."  Prior to 2022, it said "Still looking to return to form before ACL injury ended rookie season 2 years ago." 

You can probably look up PFF ratings/scores and see what our Defensive Back expert @tiamat63 sees on film for better details about how Juan Thornhill has done most recently.

Here we are again signing guys with bad wheels... This approach has rarely if at all worked for the Browns... They never learn!

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Still working on Obby at what he brings to the edge rush.  Despite being on vacation, I haven't quite gotten everything I would have hoped to have been done.   So I'll get back to you on how Juan's season went via; film look.    However...

I did like him enough to take him as the Browns 2nd round pick in our 2019 Mock draft.

His ACL injury was the 2019 season, I believe in the playoffs which would have been January 2020.    Juan came back and played in 16 games in 2020, starting 8 of them.  Then played a full regular season 2021 and 2022.

So he's had nearly 3 full seasons of health under his belt, 2 & 1/2 of those as a starter.   I'd say that's a pretty good record of stability after a knee injury.  

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Scratch Safety of the needs list. Seems like we are really gearing up for BPA and long term with the draft.

As for Juan, his numbers have gone up with his snap count the past years. Seems like a solid, if somewhat unspectacular addition. Front office looking for 'value for money' gets a thumbs up from me.

Man, if I would have known it was gonna be this easy to resolve old mistakes - I could have spared my dome a lot of grey hair.  - NostraDumbass (The author formerly known as Flugel)

It'll be nice to go with a lot of BPA as long as it's not in an area we're already strong and deep at.  For example, one of our previous conversations about the RB position we both agreed we don't need a RB anywhere north of undrafted free agency. Having said that, a position like Cornerback often requires 3 of them on the field - some of our corners have missed starts to injuries in the last 2 years.  I'll be okay with BPA there.

Even though, we've given a very big commitment to David Njoku recently - I think we may have some VERY good TEs on our doorstep in this draft for a TE2.  TE was supposed to be a strength in Stefanski's offense; and yet Harrison Bryant never really developed like we hoped while Austin Hooper wasn't anything special at all.  Our current Left Tackle situation is going to demand some good help from the TE position at times.  I could go for a throwback type that blocks and gets open like a Steve Heiden (who was a big help despite KWII's productivity as the 1st TE).  He's now the TE Coach for the Detroit Lions.

We can go BPA which should also fill needs at some of the following positions: WR, Offensive Tackle, LB, TE2, CB, or Safety...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Here we are again signing guys with bad wheels... This approach has rarely if at all worked for the Browns... They never learn!

It looks like Thornhill had his best season in 2022 though with a career-best 71 tackles (43 solo), 3 interceptions and 1 sack in the 16 games he played in.  

17 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It looks like Thornhill had his best season in 2022 though with a career-best 71 tackles (43 solo), 3 interceptions and 1 sack in the 16 games he played in.  

We'll see...

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, 250 lbs is fine if the guy shows on film he's productive at that weight like I'm guessing Campbell does.  Keep in mind, an NFL strength and conditioning program can easily get Campbell to play at any advisable/recommended weight his coach/coordinator would like him to play at.  So can a contract for that matter.  NFL Strength and Conditioning programs like to analyze body compositions to track to how their program impacts the percentages of lean tissue and body fat. More specifically, it gives them a better idea of the quality of body weight a player is carrying. In saying that, there's always exceptions to the rule where a big bellied guy moves around way faster than the book cover advertises.

Isn't it early enough in the off-season for roids?

stephen-colbert-inject.gif

(Do excuse this cheap reaction to your well-thought-out and written comment)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Even though, we've given a very big commitment to David Njoku recently - I think we may have some VERY good TEs on our doorstep in this draft for a TE2.  TE was supposed to be a strength in Stefanski's offense; and yet Harrison Bryant never really developed like we hoped while Austin Hooper wasn't anything special at all.  Our current Left Tackle situation is going to demand some good help from the TE position at times.  I could go for a throwback type that blocks and gets open like a Steve Heiden (who was a big help despite KWII's productivity as the 1st TE).  He's now the TE Coach for the Detroit Lions.

Even though I am sticking with WR as more likely, my personal preference would be exactly the type of TE you mention, for the same reasons. 2TE formations, 12 personel in particular, allow us to both rush and pass, keeping the defense on their toes. A well-rounded old school TE would really benefit us in that regard. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

- I think we may have some VERY good TEs on our doorstep in this draft for a TE2.  TE was supposed to be a strength in Stefanski's offense

Yes, Stef's offense....but has DePodesta mandated a different approach?  The 13 yard pass vs 4 yard run statement.

Either way, I too would like to see the #2 TE upgraded.  (we're actually wanting a Mackie award winner, in his prime, replaced)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Yes, Stef's offense....but has DePodesta mandated a different approach?  The 13 yard pass vs 4 yard run statement.

Either way, I too would like to see the #2 TE upgraded.  (we're actually wanting a Mackie award winner, in his prime, replaced)

I could be wrong here; but I don't think either of us want the Mackey Award Winner replaced.  It's the limited/restricted version of that from Stef and/or DePodesta that has us thinking this way.  Believe it or not, Bryant actually played Offensive Tackle his freshman, sophomore and junior years in high school before moving to TE as a senior. As Bryant put it, he played Offensive Tackle his whole life until his senior year of high school.  Therefore, I thought he'd have some blocking skills to contribute. After the position change, that tall frame made him a scoring threat who contributed 10 TD receptions.  He also started on defense and had 100 tackles + 11 sacks as a senior. I feel like he has more to offer the Browns than what the Browns are wiling to ask of him; so I'd rather have the Browns get "their guy" they feel they can empower with a bigger role.  

6 hours ago, nickers said:

Joe Thomas tore the ACL of his right knee his junior year after he asked to play on the defensive line vrs Auburn in the Bowl Game.  He was pretty durable for the Browns during his HOF career...

7 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Joe Thomas tore the ACL of his right knee his junior year after he asked to play on the defensive line vrs Auburn in the Bowl Game.  He was pretty durable for the Browns during his HOF career...

Good for him and Zydrunas Ilgauskas.. very lucky indeed!

• Haha 1

Browns agree with DT Trysten Hill on a free agent contract

• Published: Mar. 16, 2023, 5:43 p.m.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/03/browns-agree-with-dt-trysten-hill-on-a-free-agent-contract.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns continue to add to their pile of big men in the middle.

On Thursday, they agreed to terms on a contract with fifth-year defensive tackle Trysten Hill, a free agent from the Cardinals.

Hill (6-3, 310) is the third defensive tackle the Browns have acquired in the first few days of free agency. Their big fish was Dalvin Tomlinson, the former Vikings with whom they signed to a four-year deal worth $57 million.

On Wednesday night, they agreed to terms on a one-year deal with Michigan product Maurice Hurst, a free agent from the 49ers.

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Okay, after the first two DT signings, I wasn't expecting this one. 

@tiamat63 be honest, do you have a direct line of communication to Schwartz?

Trysten? Another nod of mine from that 2019 draft in... HEY, the same thread that brought up Thornhill as well. 

Said it before, Elliot, Togiai, Bryan, Roderick, etc etc...  ALL expendable and likely gone.   Aside from Perrion, that leaves 4 DT spots up for grabs.   The thing about Hurst, is that it's a 1 year deal that I believe involves zero guaranteed money?  So if he isn't up to it in camp, no harm no foul for the Brownies.   I don't know about the contract details for Hill, but I'm sure it's a 1 year deal much like Mo Hurst - safe to cut in camp provided they don't show anything.  That said, Hill is an average to ever-so-slightly above average IDL.   But our play their last season was so bad that it's easily twice the upgrade.  

These bodies give the Brownies even more flexibility with how the board plays out for a 2nd round pick.   Which, at this point, if it isn't BPA defense, then it's likely going to be a receiver.  

Edit: I will say this, the best ability is availability.  Hurst and Hill have some nagging injury history.  And they have history at a position which takes a beating.  So is my mind at ease?  Not so much.  But I do see the strategy that has continued on from McDowell - bring in young, former promising players and see where they might stand with new surroundings.    

This doesn't preclude them from continuing to address IDL AND edge in the mid to late rounds though. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

These bodies give the Brownies even more flexibility with how the board plays out for a 2nd round pick.   Which, at this point, if it isn't BPA defense, then it's likely going to be a receiver.  

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

This doesn't preclude them from continuing to address IDL AND edge in the mid to late rounds though. 

Agree with both thoughts.

At the moment I'm looking at WR, MLB, TE at #42.

But then we don't pick again until #98.  That's a crap-shoot number....and anything after.   We absolutely have to nail that #42 pick.  No reaching for a position.  (like, just because we need a WR or LB'er)  #42 has got to be a good player.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Said it before, Elliot, Togiai, Bryan, Roderick, etc etc...  ALL expendable and likely gone.   Aside from Perrion, that leaves 4 DT spots up for grabs. 

You have indeed preached the gospel of the IDL, to the point it was described by other board members as beating a dead horse. 

That's the thing. Many, including myself, doubted the FO would (fully) address this. It has however been the primary focus of free agency so far. Looks like Jim has demanded more big boys up front. 

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

You have indeed preached the gospel of the IDL, to the point it was described by other board members as beating a dead horse. 

That's the thing. Many, including myself, doubted the FO would (fully) address this. It has however been the primary focus of free agency so far. Looks like Jim has demanded more big boys up front. 

It absolutely was beating a dead horse.  The problem though, IDL is the most overlooked position in all of football.  So when the issue is THAT glaring, it deserves that sort of echoing.  

I had no doubt the front office would correct their error, because they honestly had no choice this time.  It wasn't a matter of some grand revelation.  They required this defense being one of the very worst in the league at limiting the running game before having the nuance to understand their lack of foresight.  Par the course, Schwartz demanded this be fixed contingent upon his hiring.