THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I've come to the conclusion..

Conklin now makes Left Tackle money.. even If we swing Jed back to his college RT? A Good defense would still just send targets to the weakest side.. Lucky enough.. We're still not, Jet's fans trying to find a place for Mekhl Becton.. 

Will's & Watson pocket scrambling protections are not a good match.. Watson was not the cleanest of accurate rolling to his weak-side either  

If Wills would rather play RT and Jonah Williams wants to start at LT - would it hurt us to at least inquire about possibly swapping the 2 former Bama Tackles?  Maybe all Jonah needs is Callahan teaching him and a reliable partner/neighbor like Bitonio?  Last I heard, Cincy's RT (Collins) has an injury that will cost him time this year too...

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

@tiamat63

Weren't you a big D.J. Chark fan when he was available in the Draft? He's still available as a free agent. 

I'm honestly trying to remember.  I thought pretty highly of him when he was in Jacksonville.  Then again, he was the best receiver on a pretty terrible group of teams.     I know the last couple seasons he's dealt with some injury concerns and missed a decent amount of playing time.  So that right there would give me pause depending on how much $ he's looking for.  If he's expecting another $10 mil a year,  you can forget all that noise.  

16 minutes ago, Flugel said:

If Wills would rather play RT and Jonah Williams wants to start at LT - would it hurt us to at least inquire about possibly swapping the 2 former Bama Tackles?  Maybe all Jonah needs is Callahan teaching him and a reliable partner/neighbor like Bitonio?  Last I heard, Cincy's RT (Collins) has an injury that will cost him time this year too...

fair point.. It's now a option.. Jonah's age 25.. Jed's 23 on a rookie deal  🤔 

13 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know, I don't really care if a TE can block.  If blocking is what you want, line up a back-up tackle or guard to grind out that yard.  

I'd prefer one that could do both, catch the ball with soft hands and yet be able to block to some degree.  It doesn't tip our hand run or pass.  Ben Coates, Ben Watson (why did we ever let that guy leave?).  Save the extra OLineman for 3rd or 4th & 1.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

More Deals being made before draft..

Source: Former #Rams DT Greg Gaines has agreed to terms with the #Bucs.

Now stfu Gal's on trading Coop.. and enjoy paying more & losing more picks

Sources: The #Texans are trading WR Brandin Cooks to the #Cowboys for a 5th this year and
6th next year.
Cooks restructured his contract Saturday so that Houston will pay 6 million of his salary this season and the Cowgals are now to pay 12 million for this season 

Nope!
We had the picks.. but, Berry's not paying that for Cooks, plus picks

32 minutes ago, gumby73 said:
Nope!
We had the picks.. but, Berry's not paying that for Cooks, plus picks

It's gonna come down to the draft for WR, LB.er.  But we've done such a good job in FA that we're down to talking about 2 positions above all others.  (down from 6)  With the loss of Greedy Williams I wouldn't be surprised if a CB was taken somewhere down the line.  

5 hours ago, Orion said:

I'd prefer one that could do both, catch the ball with soft hands and yet be able to block to some degree.  It doesn't tip our hand run or pass.  Ben Coates, Ben Watson (why did we ever let that guy leave?).  Save the extra OLineman for 3rd or 4th & 1.  

Sure.  Who wouldn't?

I am just saying that if you have to have one or the other, I want a A+ pass catcher who is a F blocker over a TE who is a A+ blocker and F pass catcher.

12 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Sure.  Who wouldn't?

I am just saying that if you have to have one or the other, I want a A+ pass catcher who is a F blocker over a TE who is a A+ blocker and F pass catcher.

Wouldn't care for either of those TBH. 

How about a B+ pass catcher who is a B+ blocker, compared to your A+ pass catcher who is a F blocker?

16 hours ago, Orion said:

It's gonna come down to the draft for WR, LB.er.  But we've done such a good job in FA that we're down to talking about 2 positions above all others.  (down from 6)  With the loss of Greedy Williams I wouldn't be surprised if a CB was taken somewhere down the line.  

Who? Did he play for the Browns in any effective way for any length of time? Not much of a loss to fill.

8 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Wouldn't care for either of those TBH. 

How about a B+ pass catcher who is a B+ blocker, compared to your A+ pass catcher who is a F blocker?

Look, we can go round and round talking about "what about this, what about that?".

Bottom line is I don't give a shit about a TE's ability to block.  Will I take if they can?  Sure, but they have to have the other.  Ozzie Newsome wasn't known for being a blocker.  I'll take that.  Simply getting in the way for a second or so works for me if they can catch and score TD's.  If the guy is known as a blocking tight end, I don't want the stiff.

Fair enough?

13 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Bottom line is I don't give a shit about a TE's ability to block.

What did your signature used to say?  Something about like or unlike minds...

To me, a TE needs to know how to block and how to catch.

If the TE can't catch, then I don't need him.  I can put in a offensive lineman who'll do a better blocking job.

And if the TE can't block, then I can put in a WR that'll be quicker.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Look, we can go round and round talking about "what about this, what about that?".

Bottom line is I don't give a shit about a TE's ability to block.  Will I take if they can?  Sure, but they have to have the other.  Ozzie Newsome wasn't known for being a blocker.  I'll take that.  Simply getting in the way for a second or so works for me if they can catch and score TD's.  If the guy is known as a blocking tight end, I don't want the stiff.

Fair enough?

At this point in the discussion, isn't it important to understand David Njoku is the 1st TE on the depth chart?  When the Browns want to bring in a 2nd TE to a formation, it's not to go vertical with him.  It's usually not on a 3rd and long or when the Browns are behind the sticks (with more than 10 yards to go). It's usually a short yardage or a red zone matchup plan. It doesn't matter if you don't care if he can block or not.  It is important to understand why teams go to the Double Tight formation. Once upon a time we'd line up TE Steve Heiden on the other side of the formation of Winslow.  Not only was Heiden a very good blocker; but he also got open and caught the ball when we needed him to.

Therefore,  it's nice if you can have a 2nd TE that can do both (dual purpose) instead of one that just catches or just blocks.  Why?  It makes the matchup more challenging for the defense.  Teams usually want a good blocker at least for the main purpose he's in the Double Tight formation.  If they have one that also has an ability to get open and catch the ball - even better.  It's not that teams don't want this.  It's more because there's a limited supply of 2nd TEs that are reliable at both blocking and receiving today.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

When the Browns want to bring in a 2nd TE to a formation, it's not to go vertical with him. 

We would both like to see that, but Is it though?

Jordan Akins had only one drop in 54 targets in '22, setting career-highs with 495 receiving yards and a team-leading five touchdowns. He also had a run blocking PFF grade of 45.7, as I mentioned before. Seems like he was brought in specifically as an extra target for his former teammate to throw to. 

I reacted with some disappointment to his signing, because he is pretty much on one extreme of the false dichotomy Ballpeen then came up with (with which I have zero gripes FTR). He is an A pass catcher and an F blocker. 

Barring an all-round TE drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, it seems the FO isn't bothered about TEs who can block in addition to catching either.

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Barring an all-round TE drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, it seems the FO isn't bothered about TEs who can block in addition to catching either.

Because they realize that if blocking is the goal, a back-up tackle or guard is going to be able to block better than a back-up TE.  We saw a regular dose of o-linemen reporting as eligible last season.

Maybe I am confusing years, but one even caught a TD pass.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

What did your signature used to say?  Something about like or unlike minds...

To me, a TE needs to know how to block and how to catch.

If the TE can't catch, then I don't need him.  I can put in a offensive lineman who'll do a better blocking job.

And if the TE can't block, then I can put in a WR that'll be quicker.

It's still listed.  Here under interests.

The Cleveland Browns look to have added some reinforcements on Monday for special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone.

While there has been no official word from the team, it appears they have reached a deal with free agent cornerback/special teams player Michael Ford Jr., according to a Tweet from Ford himself:

Touted as one of the best gunners.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

We would both like to see that, but Is it though?

Jordan Akins had only one drop in 54 targets in '22, setting career-highs with 495 receiving yards and a team-leading five touchdowns. He also had a run blocking PFF grade of 45.7, as I mentioned before. Seems like he was brought in specifically as an extra target for his former teammate to throw to. 

I reacted with some disappointment to his signing, because he is pretty much on one extreme of the false dichotomy Ballpeen then came up with (with which I have zero gripes FTR). He is an A pass catcher and an F blocker. 

Yeah, the Akins signing doesn't feel as bad as it did at first. FWIW, Akins' last year with Watson he had 37 receptions for 403 yards and 10.9 yards per catch with 1 TD.

Last year however, the Texans allowed Akins to go to the NY Giants in free agency.  After a disappointing preseason with the Giants, he returned to Houston for a great season as their top TE and he led all receivers there with 5 TD receptions. I'd like him to be a better blocker for the double TE packages; but last year we used backup Guard Michael Dunn as an extra TE at times.  I saw him lining up to the right of our RT a few times.  The drawback to that is you lose athleticism as well a prong of attack while you're tipping your tendency to set the edge.

Njoku has improved his blocking considerably since he arrived.  Maybe Akins can as well.  

I'm okay with BPA.  I was thinking that 2nd TE (Darnell Washington) from UGA would be nice but he's being projected for the 1st round/upper 2nd.  They say he blocks like a Tackle at 6'7" 270 lbs. That guy would have been the #1 TE for almost any other school but UGA.  The guy ahead of him, sophomore Brock Bowers has been hailed by many as the best TE in college football.  

Edited by Flugel
typos

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

It's still listed.  Here under interests.

But to answer you.

I don't want to see 2 TE sets.  If you are bringing in a extra TE to block, you might as well bring in an extra lineman.  

Browns have seemingly targeted depth guys who are good special teams players. 

I wonder if there is any interest in bringing back LB Anthony Walker, or maybe that ship has sailed with a new DC. He might want a more physical presence. 

19 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wonder if there is any interest in bringing back LB Anthony Walker, or maybe that ship has sailed with a new DC

I think I read somewhere that there is interest in bringing him back but he wanted to test the waters.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I think I read somewhere that there is interest in bringing him back but he wanted to test the waters.  

Why not?  As a lawyer I would always advise my client to test the water.

It would be stupid and dereliction of duty to do otherwise.  If you are hired to find the best deal, you are bound to do such and advise.  Then the player makes the decision based on other reasons.  Then you move from there.

Agents catch a lot of crap for doing their job.

• Like 1