THE BROWNS BOARD

Onside kick or fourth-and-20? One of the 17 NFL playing rules changes proposed

Vambo

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2023/03/26/nfl-owners-meetings-preview-cleveland-browns-jimmy-dee-haslam-speak-andrew-berry-kevin-stefanski/70043204007/

NFL Owners Meetings

There are 17 proposals that have been made either by an individual teams or the Competition Committee to adjust playing rules.

There are non-descript ones like the Philadelphia Eagles' proposal to "permit the use of zero ('0') as ajersey numeral; (and) to allow kickers and punters to use any jersey numeral between 0-49 and 90-99."

There's multiple proposals involving replay challenges, including one by the Los Angeles Rams to "make fouls for Roughing the Passer called on the field subject to replay assist and/or review by a coach’s challenge."

Maybe the most interesting, though, is another Eagles proposal which would give teams an option to, instead of trying an onside kick, be able to attempt a fourth-and-20 conversion from their own 20 to keep possession. Only three of the 56 onside-kick attempts — Browns fans no doubt remember one — were recovered during this past season. Over the last three seasons, a combined 15-of-179 (8.4%) have been recovered.

I'd take 4th and 20.  The yardline doesn't matter.  You are only trying to do that at games end.  If you fail, the other team will sit on the ball, and who really cares if they score again?

With 4th and 20 you have a better chance, and you have pass inteference and holding calls working in your favor.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

and you have pass inteference and holding calls working in your favor.

I don't like it.  

I don't even like the onside kick.  

If you score, the other team should get the ball.    Now they want to change it to Make It, Take It?    Geesh!  Anything to screw the defense.  

• Thanks 1

what those  A-Holes should be talking about is how to make the games easier to call for the ref's,one thing i would do away with is the fucking completion of a catch and get rid of the fucking tuck rule and if the arm was going forward or not,ITS A FUCKING FUMBLE

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, syd said:

what those  A-Holes should be talking about is how to make the games easier to call for the ref's,one thing i would do away with is the fucking completion of a catch and get rid of the fucking tuck rule and if the arm was going forward or not,ITS A FUCKING FUMBLE

Agreed...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vambo said:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2023/03/26/nfl-owners-meetings-preview-cleveland-browns-jimmy-dee-haslam-speak-andrew-berry-kevin-stefanski/70043204007/

NFL Owners Meetings

There are 17 proposals that have been made either by an individual teams or the Competition Committee to adjust playing rules.

There are non-descript ones like the Philadelphia Eagles' proposal to "permit the use of zero ('0') as ajersey numeral; (and) to allow kickers and punters to use any jersey numeral between 0-49 and 90-99."

There's multiple proposals involving replay challenges, including one by the Los Angeles Rams to "make fouls for Roughing the Passer called on the field subject to replay assist and/or review by a coach’s challenge."

Maybe the most interesting, though, is another Eagles proposal which would give teams an option to, instead of trying an onside kick, be able to attempt a fourth-and-20 conversion from their own 20 to keep possession. Only three of the 56 onside-kick attempts — Browns fans no doubt remember one — were recovered during this past season. Over the last three seasons, a combined 15-of-179 (8.4%) have been recovered.

Sounds like more Zebra control…4th and 20…defense gets a random hold and offense gets the ball….fresh set of downs 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't like it.  

I don't even like the onside kick.  

If you score, the other team should get the ball.    Now they want to change it to Make It, Take It?    Geesh!  Anything to screw the defense.  

The onside kick has always been around as far as I know, and I am no spring chicken.  

After your comment and thinking about it, this could bring the rig factor in to the mix.  Maybe the deep dive analytics guy should look in to it from an odds perspective.  If the odds are increased.  I would want things to be the same.  I wouldn't want the odds of completion to be much greater than the current odds of recovery on a kick.  I would also want to see what the odds of penalty on the recovery team is currently, and see if the odds increased with the new proposal.

Ahh, forget it, the league needs to stay away from the image of fixed games, which in my opinion is has.  I don't want to see refs appear to get too flag happy at the wrong time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, syd said:

Actually, your comment inspired my above post.  Refs have a hard job and the NFL doesn't make it any easier.

I have long felt that they way to get a NFL rig is to get one of the refs on the take, not a player.  A single ref may not be able to change a game, but they can influence a game.  I have long felt the best way to eliminate that is to have fewer refs on the field.  You would have a much cleaner game with maybe 3 on field refs.  Maybe 4+ the eye in the sky.

But, people like scoring so naturally the rules have leaned in favor of the O with the exception of the catch rule.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Actually, your comment inspired my above post.

I know that you're not referencing me...but it is the same reason that I chose specific text of your post to quote.

Now, I understand that the league wants to make the ending of every game exciting...so they're going to slant the rules to that outcome.   But THAT was not part of the design of the game.  Now, at the ending stages of the game.  They don't want your defense to get a rest break.  They want to put your exhausted defense right back on the field again. 

Anything for offense!   Anything to try and get more women and fringe fans to buy jerseys!  

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Anything for offense!   Anything to try and get more women and fringe fans to buy jerseys!  

You know any that might be interested in a still packaged #2 QB jersey? I ain't partin' with my future HOF still packaged #95.🤗😁

I think they should just go back to the old on-side kick rules. I know they say they changed it for player safety but I would like to see the data they had for injuries on one side kicks that they thought they needed to change it to begin with.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You know any that might be interested in a still packaged #2 QB jersey? I ain't partin' with my future HOF still packaged #95.🤗😁

Kameiron Wimbley?  :)   Keep 'em in the packaging.  Couch was their 1st draft pick upon return to existence.  

1 hour ago, AP1 said:

I'm kind of surprised the metrics guys haven't stumbled into onside kicks earlier in the game when they're not expected.

The front line players are trained by ST coaches to stay home and watch for that.   And during the week those ST coaches watch film to make sure their opponent does it right.

23 hours ago, syd said:

Yeah, you have to "complete the catch/survive the ground," yet " the ground can't cause a fumble."

Try explaining that to a foreigner lol.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Kameiron Wimbley?  :)   Keep 'em in the packaging.  Couch was their 1st draft pick upon return to existence. 

Yeah, maybe I'll run into JFF at a home game posing in front of his Heisman that's on display in the stadium. He can sign it for me.😁

12 hours ago, syd said:

Vegas would find out and I do not believe they would be pleased 

Immaculate reception, 1972.

The refs admitted that if they reversed the call, they feared for their lives.

It WAS a difficult call, no doubt. I still don't agree with it.

On 3/28/2023 at 9:55 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Jamir Miller is going to the Hall of Fame?  He was a great pass rusher for us the year before he blew out his achilles in our 1st preseason game.  

Some other little rascal is wearing that number now.  I think he went to college somewhere in Texas.  😁

• Sad 1