THE BROWNS BOARD

Is the third time the charm??

ballpeen

When I look at the Browns and how we have evolved since our return, I see three distinct era's.

The first was the Tim Couch era. Tim was the first pick of the reborn Browns. The hotshot QB who was going to take us back to the glory. While Policy and Clark were a part of that, it was Tim who was the face of the franchise. He ever remained that as Butch took over and finally met his demise. Butch was more or less a left-over of that era.

The second was the Savage era. The hotshot talent guru who was going to outsmart all the other GMs, plucking HOF'ers with 6th round picks. Well, that didn't work out all that well.

And that brings us to now.

My hope is that what is born on Sunday becomes the Mangini/Quinn era. My even bigger hope is this one actually works out. When you look back at all the teams that had real, long term success, you usually find a coach and QB marriage that sustains over a number of years.

That doesn't mean we win Superbowl after Superbowl.....but it does mean we see a cohesive pairing of coach and player who think on the same page which in time brings winning results...maybe even Superbowl after Superbowl.

I am not going to predict if this pair is bound for glory or the junk heap. It may also work out one of the two isn't up to the standard necessary and this is only a short term relationship.

What I do know is I will be in the stands on Sunday cheering like crazy, and in my mind hoping even more that this new era is the era that brings us what we all want.

GO BROWNS

Sound off.

What I can say with confidence is I have a better gut feeling about this team than any other in the recent past. Not from individual talent because thats not the most important thing in football (if it was the Bengals would be much more important than they are). It's the fact they are preaching intelligence and the ability to play as one unit on the field. All guys have high character and a passion for the game. Quinn looks to bear the intangibles. We seem to be the next club formulating the Patriot way of winning and I like it.

completely agree with what was said above. I don't know if we have the overall talent to be elite yet, but this is the best gut feeling i've had about a coach for a long time. It's not hard to see that the coaches who win consistently in the league follow Mangini's mindset. Work as a cohesive unit, don't accept failure and be physical till the whistle. That's why the Steelers, Titans, Patriots amongst others continue to win. I love that we got rid of the garbage (winslow, Romeo) and have a team that strives to play football. The more physical and nasty we get, the better. It may not be this year, but if we continue this mindset the tide will turn in our favor. GO BROWNS, always believe in Cleveland

Well said peen!

I to am really excited and ready for the new era browns to knock heads with one of the leagues best teams this sunday...for once in a long time i feel real excitement for this team and i really wish i could be there instead of viewing it from my big screen tv...but im sure the fan passion is going to be immense and LOUD its going to be loud around here too!

GO BROWNS!!

I agree on the gut feeling about Mangini. I think he is exactly what we needed. All three of our past coaches....not counting any interims like Robiskie seemed to have a meek personality in so far as how and what they demanded.

You don't have that this time.

I think most of the better teams tend to have a coach who punishes the team after a poor outing.

I think it is better when the players are generally a little ticked off at the coach.

I agree on the gut feeling about Mangini. I think he is exactly what we needed. All three of our past coaches....not counting any interims like Robiskie seemed to have a meek personality in so far as how and what they demanded.

I wouldn't say Butch had a meek personality. Certainly an untrustworthy personality though.

I wouldn't say Butch had a meek personality. Certainly an untrustworthy personality though.

No, I guess not, but he didn't seem like a coach who really drove his players...but that is just my perception.

No, I guess not, but he didn't seem like a coach who really drove his players...but that is just my perception.

Oh I think he drove them. But I think he also drove them to the point of not trusting him (remember the stories of him having his spies in the locker room and worrying about what everyone thought of him) or listening to him.

He certainly was not NFL HC material when it was all said and done.

I'm not sure about this, just want to give it some time. After a pretty good 2007, we laid maybe the biggest egg in the NFL last season.

While I truly believe we'll upset the Vikings, the whole Mangini thing is going to take time to embrace. If the Browns win, we'll be happy...if they lose, we're going to hate his vanilla personality.

Face it Browns fans, we've been burned far too many times with false hopes, and every new season brings some optimism. I was there with 72,000 other last year for the opener, and Dallas exposed us.

I hope Mangini is the answer, but once again, we hire a defensive-minded coach (the only offensive coach they've hired since Blanton Collier was Rutigliano). If this is an attack-minded defensive head coach, I'll take it...no more "umbrella d" on 3rd & long, for instance. If we're up 17-14 in the 4th quarter, will he "go for the throat" or play ball-possession (ie:punt)? There is a lot to be learned about the new staff. Let's see how it pans out in 2009.

Archived