THE BROWNS BOARD

Prediction for the Vikings game

bugzilla

Stepping back and looking at this game with as little emotion and as much objectivity as a Browns fan can muster, here is how I see the Vikings game playing out.

The Cleveland offense can't move the ball against the tough Vikings defense. The Vikings stuff the run and are able to overload on pass protection on alot of 3rd and longs. Farve comes out but he has developed no chemistry with his wide receivers so despite some long run plays by Adrian Peterson, drops and off target passes kill alot of drives. Going into halftime the score is Vikings 7, Browns 3. But, in the 3rd or early 4th quarter, the Vikings running game takes it's toll on the Browns wretched front line. Peterson busts out some huge runs. Farve throws at least two INTs, which gives the Browns some hope. Only problem is the Browns CANNOT run the ball against the Vikings defense. Forced into throwing long over and over into double coverage, Quinn is intercepted at least once. Vikings run,run,run for first downs and kill the clock.

Final score: Vikings 21, Browns 3

Sorry, but there it is. The way I see it the only hope we have is Farve completely blowing it. I actually think Farve will play badly in this game, but the Vikings are so good at running and defense that it won't matter.

Except if CLE can't run, they will do what we saw in the TEN preseason game. A controlled passing game and screens to avoid 3rd and long.

It's a bit far fetched to think CLE will continually try to run against that MIN D if they are having zero success. Expect a lot of 5 yard slants and quick hits on 1st or 2nd in order to stay out of double coverage. It's also likely CLE will go with a lot of 3 WR sets to spread out MIN. You can't double cover everyone.

I think this ends up a lot closer than some may think.

MIN 23

CLE 17

NEW showed the NFL how to beat the Vikings and their stubborn run defense. They threw the ball 61 times. Not all downfield but slants, swing passes (just like a end run) and screens. Cleveland is stupid if they even try to establish the run first.

Teams that beat Minn establish the pass and make their LBs back off the line then run wide, counters, slants and keep them off balance.

As far as our defense.................take Peterson away by playing 5 man fronts and 8 and 9 in the box. Make Favre beat you. Sounds dumb, but it's better then watching Peterson run the ball down your throat all day. By taking him away, I mean 80 yards in 20 carries would be just fine. Take the cutback lanes away. Favre is playing with a limited paly book and still not overly familiar with his receivers.

NEW showed the NFL how to beat the Vikings and their stubborn run defense. They threw the ball 61 times. Not all downfield but slants, swing passes (just like a end run) and screens. Cleveland is stupid if they even try to establish the run first.

Teams that beat Minn establish the pass and make their LBs back off the line then run wide, counters, slants and keep them off balance.

As far as our defense.................take Peterson away by playing 5 man fronts and 8 and 9 in the box. Make Favre beat you. Sounds dumb, but it's better then watching Peterson run the ball down your throat all day. By taking him away, I mean 80 yards in 20 carries would be just fine. Take the cutback lanes away. Favre is playing with a limited paly book and still not overly familiar with his receivers.

What you guys are failing to realize is we won't be running the ball up the middle....

Did you SEE how many screen plays we ran, and how well they worked?

Who cares about the Venus and Serena..... They're way too slow to bother JL/JH/JD on screens

Browns 27

Viqueens 24

Wow i cant believe some of you guys call yourselves browns fans!

We have BQ at the helm now and a decent WR corp Bq isnt DA he will make things happen so get your heads out of DAs ass and prepare with confidence for a new era of browns football!

Looking at it from a non emotional and neutral perspective. A vikings win is a safe bet. I expect our offense to click and the defense to get outrun which will lead to their victory.

Favre has had enough time to gel with atleast one or two receivers so dont expect him to come out all confused.

Browns 27

Viqueens 24

Wow i cant believe some of you guys call yourselves browns fans!

Just because we're browns fans doesnt mean we have to be moronically optimistic. (not that I'm trying to single anyone out by saying that... but yes. Moronically optimistic)

Vicks: 24

Browns: 13

What you guys are failing to realize is we won't be running the ball up the middle....

Did you SEE how many screen plays we ran, and how well they worked?

Who cares about the Venus and Serena..... They're way too slow to bother JL/JH/JD on screens

and that's exactly what I said. Passes that are basically running plays. Plays designed to get to the outside quick. Swing passes to backs, screens and quick slants and quick outs. You don't run up the middle, you establish the pass then you will be able to run the ball with some quick counters and slants, but not with Lewis.n If Lewis carries the ball 10 times this game that would be way to much.

Vikes 31

Browns 16

Funny...we haven't scored a TD in 6 games and some have Browns scoring 24 on may be one of the best defenses in the league...just sayin....hope i'm wrong

Again, remember, those 6 games were with Ken Dorsey and Bruce Gradkowski at QB and RAC as HC, and the team really had quit in those last 6 games. Now I have no clue how many points the Browns will score, or if they will win. I am not in the handicapping business. But the above facts are facts and are totally irrelevent to today's team.

and that's exactly what I said. Passes that are basically running plays. Plays designed to get to the outside quick. Swing passes to backs, screens and quick slants and quick outs. You don't run up the middle, you establish the pass then you will be able to run the ball with some quick counters and slants, but not with Lewis.n If Lewis carries the ball 10 times this game that would be way to much.

Screens and slants would be the way to go. Just don't think they will run it that way. Conventional wisdom is you have to run the ball. They will stubbournly try to do so again and again.

Favre has had ONE game in pre-season. His second best WR is out. There will be no big over the top scores for them...but Favre will try anyway...and our DB's are ballhawks.

AP will get his, probably 100+, but keep in mind, our D held Tenn pretty well in the first half..and that was WITHOUT Rogers clogging up the middle. I think his presence is going to amplify the effectiveness of the rest of the D tenfold with run stopping and pressure on the QB.

As for our O vs their D. Several have mentioned it. BQ doesn NOT need a running game to SET UP his passing game. His strength is the short/quick stuff...which just happens to be Minni's weak spot. The Browns will come out with a lot of slants, screens to set up the D, then hit them with the power running game on occasion just to keep them honest. Look for spread offenses out of the Browns as well to minimize the ability to stack the box.

Even so, the Browns O and the Vikes O are both set up for slow, time consuming drives...so this is going to be a low scoring game....with FG's being the main points.

I think Favre, not accustomed to slow drives and not having the chemistry with his WR's, will turn the ball over and be the difference in the game (along with the Browns ST's).

Browns 16

Vikings 13

Archived