THE BROWNS BOARD

~ ★ R.I.P. Jim Brown, 87 ★ ~

Neo

Wow.  Seemed like this man would live forever.

I was raised on the stories of Jim Brown by my Grandma and the earliest football memories of my dad.    Dude was like a Titan or a myth for those my age.     Nevermind Cleveland itself, sports in the State of Ohio and the game of football the world over has lost something today.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I was raised on the stories of Jim Brown by my Grandma and the earliest football memories of my dad.    Dude was like a Titan or a myth for those my age.     Nevermind Cleveland itself, sports in the State of Ohio and the game of football the world over has lost something today.  

Well, the best thing the Browns can do to honor him is win the whole fuckin' thing.

YARN | Win the whole fucking thing. | Major League (1989) | Video clips by  quotes | e4d8fd03 | 紗

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Yes ..... and in Cleveland BROWNS and football lore he will indeed live forever,  possibly the  Greatest football player Of  All Time.  

It almost sounds unreal  Jim Brown, 87 dead.

▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~>     🏈     <~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~

Jim Brown, Football Great and Civil Rights Champion, Dies at 87

After a Hall of Fame career in the N.F.L., he pursued social activism and a Hollywood career, but his image was stained by accusations of abuse toward women.

A black and white photo of Jim Brown, a muscular Black man with short hair wearing a No. 32 jersey and a coat, standing on the sidelines of a football stadium.

May 19, 2023Updated 5:18 p.m. ET

Jim Brown, the Cleveland Browns fullback who was acclaimed as one of the greatest players in pro football history, and who remained in the public eye as a Hollywood action hero and a civil rights activist, though his name was later tarnished by accusations of violent conduct against women, died on Thursday night at his home in Los Angeles. He was 87.

His family announced his death on Friday on Instagram.

Playing for the Browns from 1957 to 1965 after earning all-American honors at Syracuse University in football and lacrosse, Brown helped take Cleveland to the 1964 National Football League championship.

In any game, he dragged defenders when he wasn’t running over them or flattening them with a stiff arm. He eluded them with his footwork when he wasn’t sweeping around ends and outrunning them. He never missed a game, piercing defensive lines in 118 consecutive regular-season games, though he played one year with a broken toe and another with a sprained wrist.

“All you can do is grab, hold, hang on and wait for help,” Sam Huff, the Hall of Fame middle linebacker of the Giants and the Washington team, now the Commanders, once told Time magazine.

• Upvote 2

• mjp28 changed the title to ~ 🏈 R.I.P. Jim Brown, 87. 🏈 ~
  • mjp28 pinned this topic
  • mjp28 changed the title to ~ 🏈 R.I.P. Jim Brown, 87. 🏈 ~

For me, it is a passing of an era.  He was a legend of my youth and he WAS the NFL in the late 50's through the mid 60's.

My wife and I were at the game where his statue was dedicated.  We went over as Jim walked up to say a few words.

We were both glad to have been there that day.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

From ESPN  and a panel of 50 experts the  G.O.A.T.  of all time in professional football both on offense and defense. 

Well we know who was the #1 NFL RB  G.O.A.T.  -  #32  Jim Brown.      And now the details. 

▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~>     🏈     <~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎

• ESPN staffMay 19, 2023, 04:15 PM 

*   Editor's note: This article was originally published Aug. 2, 2022. Hall of Fame Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown, who was judged by a panel of 50 experts, reporters and analysts as the greatest running back of all time, died Friday at age 87.

Quarterback Tom Brady was retired during the 2022 NFL offseason for just 40 days before opting to return for a 23rd season that could (maybe?) be his last, tight end Rob Gronkowski recently decided to hang them up, and defensive tackle Aaron Donald inked a massive contract extension this summer to make him the game's highest-paid non-QB after also considering retirement. It all got us thinking about where these legends of the game stack up all time at their respective positions.

We asked 50 experts, reporters and analysts to name the NFL's greatest player of all time at every position. The goal was to narrow the field to just one GOAT at quarterback, wide receiver, edge rusher, cornerback and even kicker. We're starting here with seven offensive positions, and check out who made it for defense and special teams.

After we tallied the ballots and crowned each offensive position's best player of all time, our voters weighed in and explained their decisions. Plus, Jeff Legwold broke down why each GOAT was chosen, and ESPN Stats & Information dove into the numbers to pick out key stats to know. Let's start at quarterback, which shouldn't surprise many.

Jump to:
QB | RB | WR | TE | OT | G | C

See: GOAT at every defensive position

~   AND now the numbers.    ~

Running back: Jim Brown

Bettmann/Contributor

Voting results: Brown earned 23 of 50 votes (46%)

Career: Cleveland (1957-1965)
Hall of Fame: 1971
Pro Bowl selections: 9
Career stats: 118 games, 2,359 carries, 12,312 rushing yards, 106 rushing TDs, 20 receiving TDs

Why he's the GOAT running back: Brown was 29 years old when his final season began in 1965 and stunned many when he retired after that season. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry over his career, was the league MVP three times and was chosen for the Pro Bowl every year of his career. Brown retired as the league's all-time leading rusher and scored three touchdowns in his final game -- the 1966 Pro Bowl. -- Legwold

Stat to know: Brown led the NFL in rushing yards in eight of his nine seasons in the league. No other running back in NFL history has led the league in rushing more than four times.

What our voters said

In nine NFL seasons, Brown led the league in rushing eight times, scrimmage yards six times and total TDs five times, winning MVP in 33% of his career seasons. In an era in which everyone ran the ball more than they threw, defenses still couldn't slow down Brown. -- Michael Proia, Stats & Information

No running back in NFL history did more in less time than Brown. He still owns the NFL record for rushing yards per game (104.3), and although he retired after only nine seasons, he never missed a game. -- Kevin Seifert, Vikings reporter

Brown was a first-team All-Pro in eight seasons and three-time MVP winner. Such a decade of complete dominance remains untouched. -- Jake Trotter, Browns reporter

The runners-up

• Barry Sanders (14 votes): Lions reporter Eric Woodyard leaned toward Detroit's famed running back, suggesting voters should "just type in Barry Sanders highlights on YouTube, sit back and enjoy." NFL writer Seth Wickersham argued for Sanders, too, saying, "There has never been another player who could be 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, retreating, surrounded by five defenders closing fast, blockers on the ground and rendered useless, and not only be capable of finding an escape out of it and scoring a touchdown but doing it so often that fans came to expect it."

• Walter Payton (six votes): Seahawks reporter Brady Henderson went with Sweetness in what he called "the hardest vote for any position." So why Payton? "He got my vote over Smith because his receiving skills made him a more compete back, and his longevity gave him the edge over Sanders and Brown," he says.

• Emmitt Smith (three votes): "Durability. No player was as productive or as durable as Smith," says NFL insider Dianna Russini. "Eleven straight 1,000-yard seasons."

• Also receiving votes: Marshall Faulk (two), Eric Dickerson (one), LaDainian Tomlinson (one)

• Like 2

The reason I'm a Browns fan.  A great RB.  The best pure running back ever.   A physical specimen.  The only possible way to be a better RB than Jim Brown would be to be Jim Brown reincarnated who blocked better.  He even said it himself.  He said that he was of the attitude that he wasn't there to block.  And he lamented that he should've been a tenacious blocker.

God Speed...

• Like 1

Never saw this day coming either 💔...

The news of losing Jim Brown today, leaves myself as the only family member left seeing #32 play live with my late Father(passed 87 also), Uncle's & Grand Parents..

gumby73  avatar picture was taken at the NFL Draft in Philadelphia with JB at the mic.. 

The moment that Jim Brown hit the stage? Would have given any proud browns fans, goose-pimples with the long standing ovation JB rightfully received .. Team fan bonds didn't matter, with chants of "Greatest of All Time"

To Jim Brown, family & friends..  Our prayers are with you, losing the greatest sports hero to many  ...

RIP #32 Jim Brown 🙏

Jim Brown leaves a farewell to you Browns Nation !

• Thanks 1

I still have a little kid's mentality that Superman isn't supposed to die.  That said, Jim Brown was 87 years old when he passed.  He was the biggest weapon this team had the last time it won an NFL Championship Title in 1964.  There hasn't been an NFL Championship celebrated by this franchise since.  My dad never stopped telling me how great Jim Brown and Otto Graham were when I first started watching the Browns.  The stories he told me about those guys and the gorgeous orange helmets in the Fall made it impossible to consider any other team.  It didn't hurt that Leroy Kelly, followed by Greg Pruitt, running behind Hall of Fame Offensive Guard Gene Hickerson were very exciting to watch.  When the Pro Football Hall of Fame finally honored Gene Hickerson in his wheelchair, Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly were at his side reminding him who he was and why he was there.  It's sad to see that father time eventually catches everyone - even the men among boys on the gridiron.

REST IN PEACE JIM BROWN!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I still have a little kid's mentality that Superman isn't supposed to die.  That said, Jim Brown was 87 years old when he passed.  He was the biggest weapon this team had the last time it won an NFL Championship Title in 1964.  There hasn't been an NFL Championship celebrated by this franchise since.  My dad never stopped telling me how great Jim Brown and Otto Graham were when I first started watching the Browns.  The stories he told me about those guys and the gorgeous orange helmets in the Fall made it impossible to consider any other team.  It didn't hurt that Leroy Kelly, followed by Greg Pruitt, running behind Hall of Fame Offensive Guard Gene Hickerson were very exciting to watch.  When the Pro Football Hall of Fame finally honored Gene Hickerson in his wheelchair, Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly were at his side reminding him who he was and why he was there.  It's sad to see that father time eventually catches everyone - even the men among boys on the gridiron.

REST IN PEACE JIM BROWN!

Toms.. You said it better than any of us ever could... My father told me those exact stories.. And I fell in love for the same exact reasons... The lore, The pageantry, I fell for it all... My dad hung with JB at the Left Bank in the Flats and had drinks with the man.... Now they are both gone... But still live vividly in my memories... Now I just want the Browns to steam roll everyone this season and beyond... If there ever a time for a teams motivation... This is the year.. Maybe , just maybe... The NFL Gods smile down on us for once... Nick Chubb.. Run that fucking ball like the BOSS you are... Deshaun.. Pull your head out of your ass and show me something... Here is our mission...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Whenever I have thought "football" I have always thought "Jim Brown". 🏈🏆

Oh yes !   And if you ever want or need some more nice Cleveland BROWNS  💕  memories check out the thread below.  

Posted May 6 · IP 

Why we love  ♥︎  our Cleveland  BROWNS !   And a blast from the past many from the Ol' Muni.  <---  INCLUDING SOME RECENTLY ADDED JIM BROWN HIGHLIGHTS. 

I can watch them over and over,  especially when they're no games on.   mjp.

• Thanks 1

One of my best friends who passed about 15 years ago raved about Jim Brown.   Told stories of watching him.    Then when I saw the film, I understood.   He was dominance personified.     I really, really wish I coulda seen him play.........

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coyote said:

One of my best friends who passed about 15 years ago raved about Jim Brown.   Told stories of watching him.    Then when I saw the film, I understood.   He was dominance personified.     I really, really wish I coulda seen him play.........

Oh yeah Coyote  .......  #32 the Jim Brown was like a video pro football RB game  before  there was a video game.  I was 14 when the Cleveland BROWNS won the 1964 NFL Championship  he was unreal and at the top of his game.

AND the defenses back then were simple it was 11 vs 1 everybody try to stop #32.   Which left Gary Collins WIDE OPEN for Frank Ryan to pop him a big TD.  OR Warren Ohio's Paul Warfield and everyone else open while #32 was getting all of the attention.  They also tried uvery Dirty trick, punch, spit, poke his eyes to get him out of the game ..... didn't work just made him more determined. 

I remember one game (from memory,  I will check it)  verses Washington when Jim Brown was going for another record when their LB I believe named Robb was on Jim punching his groin, spitting,  grabbing his face mask, the n*****  stuff finally JB had it and BOTH. of them got thrown out early 4th quarter  ..... I will try and look it up.  He put up with a lot of that,  later in life I understood why JB the man knew why he was a rights fighter too.

NOBODY leads the NFL in rushing 8 of 9 years in rushing,  never ever will again.   And his 12,312 career rushing yards was done in 12 qnd 14 game seasons.

You can see how absolutely crushed I was when Jim Brown at the top of his game with a fantastic pulling OL decided to retire while on the set of the Dirty Dozen .....WHAT ?  WHY ? How can he ?   Oh well I got over it, sorta in maybe 40 or 50 years ...... lol.

Yes he was the GOAT,  and a Cleveland BROWNS player.        :D

• Like 1

~   Just fact checking I found only  -2- games where the Jim Brown Cleveland BROWNS played and buried the Washington Redskins.

On 15 September 1963,  BTW is was 13 days before my 13th birthday Jim Brown had an unbelievable football game.   I believe in this game #32 was going for a TD both rushing and receiving record.  ALSO the line was CLE -7,  the bettors loved  💕  Jim Brown too.   FINAL SCORE:  CLEVELAND  37   Washington. 14.   (And NO I didn't bet it, lol.)

♠︎. So did you want to try and stop #32 ?   11 versus  1 or not ?  Good luck,he was that good.  162 yards in only 15 carries = 10.8 YPC  I think this might be the " ejection game"  or the only was to stop Jim Brown with only 15 carries....... get him ejected.    I do remember the basics of watching this game with my dad in 1963.   I will check Washington feeds, later.

Full text is unavailable for this digitized archive article. Subscribers may view the full text of this article in its original form through TimesMachine.

CLEVELAND, Sept. 15 (UPI) --Jimmy Brown scored three touchdowns--one on an 83-yard pass play, another on an 80- yard run--as he led the Cleve land Browns th a 37--14 triumph over the Washington Redskins today in a National Football League game. Brown gained 162 yards in 15 rushing plays. VIEW FULL ARTICLE IN TIMESMACHINE »

Screenshot_2023-05-23_072045.jpg

Edited by mjp28

~  More fact checking  Cleveland BROWNS  versus  Washington Redskins. 

Pro Football Reference 

Scoring ....  the #32 on 83 and 80 yard TDs both highlights,  in my JB best, check it out. 

Quarter Tm Detail WAS CLE
1 Browns Bobby Crespino 4 yard pass from Frank Ryan (Lou Groza kick) 0 7
  Browns Lou Groza 42 yard field goal 0 10
2 Redskins Pat Richter 7 yard pass from Norm Snead (Bob Khayat kick) 7 10
  Browns Jim Brown 83 yard pass from Frank Ryan (Lou Groza kick) 7 17
  Browns Jim Brown 10 yard rush (Lou Groza kick) 7 24
3 Browns Lou Groza 24 yard field goal 7 27
  Redskins Bobby Mitchell 99 yard pass from George Izo (Bob Khayat kick) MITCHELL  FORMER CLE BROWN  14 27
4 Browns Jim Brown 80 yard rush (Lou Groza kick) 14 34
  Browns Lou Groza 39 yard field goal 14 37

Game Info

Game Info
Roof outdoors
Surface grass
Weather* 59 degrees, relative humidity 65%, wind 9 mph
*  Vegas Line Cleveland Browns -7.0 <---- YES THE BETTING LINE CLEVELAND  -7.0. ONLY VEGAS  maybe AC in 1963

~  Just to pretty much close the Jim Brown #32 of the 1964  Championship team.  starting.   roster.  Those around him that helped make the magic happen.   And when you see the names again   -or-   have heard about them from your fathers or grandfathers it just keeps the Cleveland BROWNS legacy going.

And you can pass it on to your family and friends.    Here they are The  1964 Championship  Roster :

• Glossary
Pos Player Age Yrs GS Summary of Player Stats Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)
  Offensive Starters          
QB Frank Ryan* 28 6 14 174 for 334, 2,404 yards, 25 td, 19 int, & 37 rushes for 217 yards and 1 td  
HB Ernie Green 26 2 14 109 rushes for 491 yards, 6 td, & 25 catches for 283 yards and 4 td  
FB Jim Brown*+ 28 7 14 280 rushes for 1,446 yards, 7 td, & 36 catches for 340 yards and 2 td. THE G.O..A.T.  HIMSELF  !  
FL Gary Collins 24 2 14 35 catches for 544 yards, 8 td  
TE Johnny Brewer 27 3 14 25 catches for 338 yards, 3 td  
LE Paul Warfield* 22 Rook 14 52 catches for 920 yards, 9 td.  <--  FROM WARREN G. HARDING   HS,   WARREN, OHIO  
LT Dick Schafrath*+ 27 5 14    <--  HERE THEY ARE THE OL THAT KEPT JIMMY BROWN RUNNING  
LG John Wooten 28 5 14     <--  JIM BROWN'S  GOOD PERSONAL FRIEND  
C John Morrow 31 8 14 1 fumble recovered  
RG Gene Hickerson 29 6 12 1 fumble recovered.  <--   THE GREAT HOF  RG GENE HICKERSON  !  
RT John Brown 25 2 8 1 fumble recovered  
  Defensive Starters          
LDE Paul Wiggin 30 7 14 0 interceptions, 3 fumbles recovered  
LDT Dick Modzelewski* 33 11 12 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered  
RDT Jim Kanicki 23 1 9 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered. <--  I KNEW JIM KANICKI MANY YEARS LATER IN BUSNESS,  NICE GUY.  
RDE Bill Glass* 29 6 14 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
LLB Jim Houston* 27 4 13 2 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
MLB Vince Costello 32 7 14 2 interceptions, 4 fumbles recovered  
RLB Galen Fiss 33 8 10 1 interception, 1 fumble recovered  
LCB Bernie Parrish 28 5 14 4 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
RCB Walter Beach 29 4 14 4 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
SS Larry Benz 23 1 13 4 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
FS Bobby Franklin 28 4 8 0 interceptions, 1   

• Thanks 1