THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm calling out the Cleveland Browns

Neo

On 5/28/2023 at 7:24 AM, Westside Steve said:

Jimmy Haslam still own the team?

WSS

I don't know my friend.  You may be confusing the Haslam from his first few years as owner v the owner he has become.

I think he is a pretty darn good owner.  I am not so sure if he ever meddled, but I am sure he doesn't today.  I think he has assembled a solid front office, and a coach still to be determined, but Stefanski has done some good things.  You even said something about Stefanski being a scapegoat, which indicated you don't think he is all that bad.

The last thing that is big for an owner is he isn't skimpy in the pockets.  He opens the bank when his GM thinks we need to get a player.  I am not sure what some people expect out of an owner.  They don't play or coach.  All they do is provide facilities, which seem to be solid, and spend money when necessary, which he has.

Stefanski picked his coaches.  Not the owner.  Stefanski and the veterans on the team set the culture, not the owner.  

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know my friend.  You may be confusing the Haslam from his first few years as owner v the owner he has become.

I think he is a pretty darn good owner.  I am not so sure if he ever meddled, but I am sure he doesn't today.  I think he has assembled a solid front office, and a coach still to be determined, but Stefanski has done some good things.  You even said something about Stefanski being a scapegoat, which indicated you don't think he is all that bad.

The last thing that is big for an owner is he isn't skimpy in the pockets.  He opens the bank when his GM thinks we need to get a player.  I am not sure what some people expect out of an owner.  They don't play or coach.  All they do is provide facilities, which seem to be solid, and spend money when necessary, which he has.

Stefanski picked his coaches.  Not the owner.  Stefanski and the veterans on the team set the culture, not the owner.  

Maybe. One of the points you make has to do with the hierarchy of command which I don't think we really know. Is it stefansky de podesta Berry the homeless guy Dee somebody else? Everybody in the building?

And yes he spends money. Ready Learner spent money. It's a lot easier in modern NFL because there's not much chance of losing money. That even benefits traditional skin flints Like Mike Browns of the league. Hey bro you can still turn out to be correct and I would have to eat a big plate of crow.

What do you need to happen for you to say you were right by the end of the season? Wild card appearance? Wild card win? More?

I have more to gain if I'm wrong because that means the Browns will be kicking some ass. If they still suck at the end of this season that's a hollow victory for me.

WSS

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

What do you need to happen for you to say you were right by the end of the season? Wild card appearance? Wild card win? More?

I have more to gain if I'm wrong because that means the Browns will be kicking some ass. If they still suck at the end of this season that's a hollow victory for me.

WSS

I don't see how them sucking is a hollow victory for anybody.  Well, maybe it would be for me. I have had my season tickets for 17 seasons now.  I have been flirting with the idea of giving them up.  The travel just isn't as easy as it once was.  If they suck, it would make that decision a whole lot easier. Not to mention the $4400 I spend on the tickets plus the 3 days of travel cost.

As for what it will take?  Hard to say, or put a number on things.  I guess I'll know it when I see it. I could see things work out where a team with 11 wins might not make a wildcard with the way the AFC is this year.  It would be hard for me to call that a bad season.

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't see how them sucking is a hollow victory for anybody.  Well, maybe it would be for me. I have had my season tickets for 17 seasons now.  I have been flirting with the idea of giving them up.  The travel just isn't as easy as it once was.  If they suck, it would make that decision a whole lot easier. Not to mention the $4400 I spend on the tickets plus the 3 days of travel cost.

As for what it will take?  Hard to say, or put a number on things.  I guess I'll know it when I see it. I could see things work out where a team with 11 wins might not make a wildcard with the way the AFC is this year.  It would be hard for me to call that a bad season.

Oh don't misunderstand the hollow Victory is if I claim that Jimmy Haslam is a shit owner and the team continues to suck. That means I'm right about that but it's not fun to be right about. And assuming that ownership has at least something to do with the success of a team or lack thereof how many teams have been worse than the Browns during the time that Jimmy has owned this team? I don't enjoy being negative but since even the worst teams in the NFL are highly profitable it looks like we're stuck with this asshole.

But when's losses and scoreboard are just about the only thing we have. So just for myself I think anything less than an actual playoff win is going to be a disappointment. And if the other three teams in the AFC North are better than the Browns there's got to be a reason for that.

I mean I'm not going to start rooting for this shit eating Steelers but I have every right to be pissed about a permanent spot in the bilge of the Good Ship AFC north.

WSS 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh don't misunderstand the hollow Victory is if I claim that Jimmy Haslam is a shit owner and the team continues to suck. That means I'm right about that but it's not fun to be right about. And assuming that ownership has at least something to do with the success of a team or lack thereof how many teams have been worse than the Browns during the time that Jimmy has owned this team? I don't enjoy being negative but since even the worst teams in the NFL are highly profitable it looks like we're stuck with this asshole.

But when's losses and scoreboard are just about the only thing we have. So just for myself I think anything less than an actual playoff win is going to be a disappointment. And if the other three teams in the AFC North are better than the Browns there's got to be a reason for that.

I mean I'm not going to start rooting for this shit eating Steelers but I have every right to be pissed about a permanent spot in the bilge of the Good Ship AFC north.

WSS 

That is exactly where I stand... On a side note..  Are you playing PIB this summer?.. We might have my nieces 21st Birthday celebration there in the beginning of august.. Would love to bring the gang to see ya sing...

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I finally caved in and renewed again. Season tickets since 1979.....after that Saints game I was totally pissed off, called my ticket rep.

I'm giving it one more year. I think I wrote this back in January, maybe December.....the thing I can't stand is they want you to ante up the season ticket money before free agency & the draft, which I think is ass-backwards. You have to trust they will make good decisions (they've struggled there lol).

We don't know how this will pan out but the AFC North will be brutal. I don't see any team winning more than 11 games. Protect the home turf, steal a few road games, then the Browns win the North. Sounds simple, yet nothing is ever simple with Cle.

• Upvote 1

I hear you, Bob.

If I lived where you do it would make things much easier.  After a loss, thinking about the 10 hours or so drive home on Monday...that sucks.  Add in I spend as much or more on travel expences....hell, I am talking myself out of them the more I type. lol

It is what it is.  Heck, maybe the Browns make it easy for me, win a bunch of games and make the experience fun.

1 hour ago, nickers said:

That is exactly where I stand... On a side note..  Are you playing PIB this summer?.. We might have my nieces 21st Birthday celebration there in the beginning of august.. Would love to bring the gang to see ya sing...

I have two trips. June 19th 20 and 21 and like the second full weekend of september. Less than usual but c'est la vie