THE BROWNS BOARD

Look Who's Coming to Dinner

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/5/22/23730175/ezekiel-elliott-rumors-browns-cowboys-free-agency

If somebody already posted this let me know and I'll delete this one. Top of the morning kids.

WSS

Thanks for posting that Steve!  Sometimes it still feels like he's gonna break another long run for a TD against Alabama any minute now; and then I have to remind myself it's already 8-9 years later.  Like the article showed, he was a guy averaging over 5.1 yards a carry for the Cowboys before wear and tear dropped him to 3.8 yards a carry.  Not only that Pollard was outperforming him with the same offensive teammates Zeke had.  Unfortunately, I don't think we'd be getting Zeke in his prime. I get the feeling, he can get himself a bigger contract from someone if he waits until injuries make a team desperate for help at RB.  You never know - that could be us.

A while back I shared a clip of Jerome Ford's 20 TDs he had as the biggest prong of attack for the U of Cincy the ONLY season that program ever made it into the BCS Final 4.  He looked like a younger faster/quicker version of Kareem Hunt as improbable as that sounds.  He was also very productive catching the ball.  My gut tells me he's gonna give us a lot more productivity than many of us think.  Having said that, that same gut can't even tell me why I just walked into the kitchen half the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd consider it.   As good as Nick is, he isn't all that good inside the 5.  He isn't a hit the hole quick type runner.  He is more feel type runner.  Ford...who knows?

Zeke is good in short yardage situations, much like Hunt was good in that role.

~  Yes just visualize the  BROWNS  running attack 2023 and beyond .  Not that long ago they were the best ever in the NFL.   Zip  441??  Hmmmm.

~~~~~~~     🏈    ~~~~~~~

He is a former Ohio State Buckeye who would fit right in. And now, Elliott is seeking to paint his name on a new mailbox. Could his next zip code begin with the digits 441?

Trying to visualize Elliott as a Brown

What would be the advantage of signing Elliott? What should the franchise expect to pay him? For what length of a contract? What would become his role?

Glad you asked.

For several years, Nick Chubb has had to share carries with Kareem Hunt. There is no telling what Chubb’s numbers would accumulate if he was the featured back or how many rushing titles he would have accumulated. Now that Hunt is in the same boat with Elliott as both are unrestricted free agents searching for a new checkbook, would the Browns sign another starting-caliber running back?

Cleveland Browns v Houston Texans Jerome Ford  Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images

Jerome Ford is expected to become Chubb’s backup this upcoming season since Cleveland allowed D’Ernest Johnson to sign away in free agency as well as Hunt’s opportunity to become employed elsewhere. Ford is young, and cheap as he is playing on a fifth-round deal. The franchise seems to favor this aspect and use the $6.25 million they paid Hunt last year in other areas of need such as the defensive front.

The Browns did sign undrafted rookie free agent Hassan Hall of Louisville who ran for 1,820 yards in his college career and is a very good receiver. The team also has John Kelly as an option who signed a reserve/futures deal in January, plus Demetric Felton who has bounced from the receiver room to playing running back. All of these guys are being paid minimally.

~  AND with 419 votes in,  check back later but there is a definite trend here.

And EE is entering year 8 as a RB,  the laws of diminishing returns is due to kick in any year now.

But a few good years at the right price might nice.    [ my vote BTW ]

Poll

What say you? Should the Browns sign Ezekiel Elliott?

• 25%       If in the neighborhood of $6M, yes

●     (104 votes)
  • 75%   Absolutely not

●     (315 votes)
♠︎.     419 votes total

He's a plugger at this point of his career, certainly not a 3rd down back.

Re-signing Hunt makes more sense.

But I think we are moving on to Ford and Kelly.

You man's position in a you man's game.

Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

should have just kept d johnson

He did a nice job for us.  I'll be rooting for him on my little grandson's team, the Jaguars.  

The drafting of Ford changed the future of the RB room.  He better be worth it....because we already have one that isn't in Felton.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Orion said:

He did a nice job for us.  I'll be rooting for him on my little grandson's team, the Jaguars.  

The drafting of Ford changed the future of the RB room.  He better be worth it....because we already have one that isn't in Felton.  

honestly I really believed that Felton would move to the slot

17 minutes ago, syd said:

honestly I really believed that Felton would move to the slot

I don't know what they saw in him.  But with all of the WR's they brought to the team this offseason I'd have to think that they have the slot covered by at least a couple of actual WR's now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

I don't know what they saw in him.  But with all of the WR's they brought to the team this offseason I'd have to think that they have the slot covered by at least a couple of actual WR's now.

he was a 4th or 5th round pick to take a flyer on ? eh wonder how long he stay's on the team ?

8 hours ago, syd said:

he was a 4th or 5th round pick to take a flyer on ? eh wonder how long he stay's on the team ?

Actually 6th round in 2021. 5th rounder was released in Oct 2022 and picked up by the Rams P.S. in Dec 2022.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, syd said:

lol A.P said he is not retired 

Adrian Peterson?

Naaa...Henderson seems like a good 3rd back to me.  We have no idea on Ford.  He may be good, but we don't really know.   Henderson has proven yardage behind him.  He was a stud out of Memphis.

Felton doesn't have it, and the team doesn't seem serious about Kelly.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

We have no idea on Ford.

He had 8 attempts for 12 yards.  I think I recall that he fumbled once, but we recovered.  

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

and the team doesn't seem serious about Kelly.

That's a good way to put it.  He's a guy that they like enough for the PS to sort of keep him up-to-speed with the team just in case a plague of injuries hits the RB room.  

Also floating in the FA ether is Hunt.  Just sayin'...

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

We are famous for spending cap on aging great players to give em a fat contract before they retire.

No thanks

Hence Clowney... Lazy unsatisfied fatass!