THE BROWNS BOARD

Cardinals release WR DeAndre Hopkins

Brownsfan92

Amazing the turnover in this 2022-2023 NFL football season.   Some more surprising than others like older quarterbacks  besides the RB, and WR spots. 

Hopkins in Cleveland now that the BROWNS  "might "  have a franchise-like quarterback  ........  I guess we'll see. 

54 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

I would dump Schwartz regardless. In fact, I'm less than pleased he hasn't been already!

I'm with you there... A complete waste of a roster spot...

If we got Hopkins, one of the offseason acquisitions wouldn't make the roster.. that may be the situation anyway:

Tillman

DPJ

Cooper

Bell

Moore

Goodwin

Not even a roster spot for Woods or Grant.. I think Schwartz is already gone before any discussion of Hopkins.  Of course they could keep 7 now that I say that, but I'd rather give an extra spot to LB so we don't have to play street free agents this season.

When was the last time you could have confidence in every WR in the room that wasn't wish-casting and alcohol?

Aside from Cleveland not having the money to compete for him, Hopkins didn't even list Cleveland when the NFL Channel reported the top 5 teams he told them he is interested in.  He listed Josh Allen as the 1st guy he wants to team up with.  I forgot the other 4 QBs/teams (while somehow managing to remember Watson/Cleveland wasn't one of them).  

15 hours ago, nickers said:

I would take him and just dump Schwartz

Schwartz is going to be dumped anyway.

With Hopkins it will be all about if we can craft a deal.  He isn't going to work for Schwartz money.  We get some money June 1, so who knows?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Schwartz is going to be dumped anyway.

With Hopkins it will be all about if we can craft a deal.  He isn't going to work for Schwartz money.  We get some money June 1, so who knows?

I seem to remember articles posted here that showed the Browns are front-runners in the league when it comes to 'creative bookkeeping' to create cap space.

Whether I would do it for D-hop is another matter. Would say our receiver room is stacked to the point of being crowded already.

May 27 -

DeAndre Hopkins' lucrative contract demands have been released, with the wide receiver on the hunt for a 'significant contract' upon a potential return to the NFL.

Hopkins - who broke into the NFL with the Houston Texans in 2013 - spent the last two years with the Arizona Cardinals before being released earlier this week. The 30-year-old was cut from the Cardinals roster so the franchise could absorb his $22.6million dead salary cap.

A player of Hopkins' calibre is expected to be picked up ahead of the beginning of the season, but it has since emerged that he is expecting a high offer for his services.

0_OAKLANDONE.jpg

0_GettyImages-1439853651.jpg

According to NBC Sports, Hopkins' standards are high, with the 31-year-old in the market for a 'substantial' payday when NFL franchises come knocking. All eyes will be on the wide receiver this coming summer, on his decision on where he opts to play his football in the upcoming campaign.

Speaking after his departure from Arizona, Hopkins told the I AM ATHLETE podcast what he himng for in a new team. "What I want is stable management upstairs, that's something I haven't really had the past couple years of my career coming from Houston and then to Arizona," Hopkins said........ continued  NBC Sports  ........

7 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

I seem to remember articles posted here that showed the Browns are front-runners in the league when it comes to 'creative bookkeeping' to create cap space.

Whether I would do it for D-hop is another matter. Would say our receiver room is stacked to the point of being crowded already.

I am not sure you can get very creative with a short term contract.  I doubt we would sign him for more than a year or two.  Anything could be possible, but I doubt we sign him.  Also, he is at the point in his career where he can pick and choose and Watson connection or not, i think he might have us lower on the list of preferred teams.  KC would probably be his first choice.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

According to NBC Sports, Hopkins' standards are high, with the 31-year-old in the market for a 'substantial' payday

Well, I think we're fresh out of 'Substantial Payday' contracts for this year.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ballpeen said:

i think he might have us lower on the list of preferred teams.  KC would probably be his first choice.

as the media drives everyone off track again ... Give me a sleeper team like the Seattle Seahawks..

GM Snyder with Geno Smith, need a piece like D-Hop to contend with only the 49'ers in division.. NFC please !

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

as the media drives everyone off track again ... Give me a sleeper team like the Seattle Seahawks..

GM Snyder with Geno Smith, need a piece like D-Hop to contend with only the 49'ers in division.. NFC please !

I hear ya Gumbs!  Unfortunately, he'll probably go to an AFC team we don't want him to go to.   Even after June 1st - would the Browns have enough cap space to compete for him?  I wonder if Jack Conklin would be willing to re-structure his pretty big new contract or if they could get someone else to do so.  

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Even after June 1st - would the Browns have enough cap space to compete for him?  

AB could make a move to add d-hop! the release of JJ3 contract will become active cap as of June 1st

S John Johnson III... Made a June 1st cut, the #Browns will save $9.7M on the cap with a $3.7M dead money… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Browns are sitting at 6.9M of cap space before JJ3's will roll into it.. I just don't think Berry will be able to match the $$'s signs..  

WR sticker pricing..... OBJ got paid 😳 

stay tuned

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

AB could make a move to add d-hop! the release of JJ3 contract will become active cap as of June 1st

S John Johnson III... Made a June 1st cut, the #Browns will save $9.7M on the cap with a $3.7M dead money… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Browns are sitting at 6.9M of cap space before JJ3's will roll into it.. I just don't think Berry will be able to match the $$'s signs..  

Yeah, I have the same feeling.  The good news is I suck at predictions.  I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, syd said:

ummm he hasn't played yet this year

For us when he was here ding dong... All he did was bitch and get hurt...

28 minutes ago, nickers said:

For us when he was here ding dong... All he did was bitch and get hurt...

😆 I thought someone put hallucinogens in your salad or something.   I was like how the Hell is Nickers giving us a spoiler alert 4 months before the season even starts?   

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

😆 I thought someone put hallucinogens in your salad or something.   I was like how the Hell is Nickers giving us a spoiler alert 4 months before the season even starts?   

Good one , Tom!

19 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hear ya Gumbs!  Unfortunately, he'll probably go to an AFC team we don't want him to go to.   Even after June 1st - would the Browns have enough cap space to compete for him?  I wonder if Jack Conklin would be willing to re-structure his pretty big new contract or if they could get someone else to do so.  

I don't know.  Some may disagree with the quality of the guys we have, but we have a lot of guys who will need/demand reps.

We know that Cooper is a guy who can rack up 100 receptions in a season.  So how many reps does that take?  At least 100.  I think Moore will get enough reps to rack up 70 receptions.  Add in DPJ and Njoku...that is a pretty high amount right there before adding in the other guys who will get some targets.

I think the team is pretty comfortable with the group as it stands.  I don't think we are interested in breaking the bank to bring him in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know.  Some may disagree with the quality of the guys we have, but we have a lot of guys who will need/demand reps.

We know that Cooper is a guy who can rack up 100 receptions in a season.  So how many reps does that take?  At least 100.  I think Moore will get enough reps to rack up 70 receptions.  Add in DPJ and Njoku...that is a pretty high amount right there before adding in the other guys who will get some targets.

I think the team is pretty comfortable with the group as it stands.  I don't think we are interested in breaking the bank to bring him in.

I don't know either.  I'm just bouncing stuff off you guys so I appreciate your reply and offering any differences of opinion you have here.  I'm excited about Tillman joining the Browns; and I sincerely hope Elijah Moore is everything I'm reading/hearing he can be. Once upon a time the Browns picked up an NFL journeyman named Reggie Rucker; and he became such a good system fit that he produced to the point of calling Cleveland home.   Furthermore, I was ecstatic we landed David Bell in the 3rd round last year.  When we first saw DPJ, I was very excited about what seemed like a 6th round steal and where experience could take him. That said, I haven't seen him take that next step which seems somewhat similar to what happened with him at the school up north.  The great news is Cooper picked up a lot of the slack with our WR Corps with a very productive season.  

I like that you brought up TE David Njoku.  When we drafted him, I hoped he'd eventually do what Travis Kelce was doing even before Mahomes arrived. I'm somewhere between stupid and stubborn thinking he still get a lot closer to that level than he has.  

All of that said, 1 or 2 injuries to the WR Corps could leave us leaning on young and unproven guys not ready to make us competitive enough for playoffs yet.  That's why I'm dreaming about the idea of Hopkins joining us - even though I think you're right about the team being comfortable with this year's group of WRs.   I feel better about about the group of WRs we have today than the group we had last year at this time.  

26 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Damn!  I didn't even thank you for the entertainment value you brought to the discussion Nicks - so I'm fixing that as we speak.  You're spoiling me man!   

Hey if people get a laugh at my expense.. It's all good... You're welcome!