THE BROWNS BOARD

~  The Cleveland BROWNS Depth Chart  - (5-27-2023).    Subject to revisions. 

mjp28

~  The Cleveland BROWNS Depth Chart  - (5-27-2023).    Subject to revisions. 

OFFENSE
LWR★★ 2 Cooper, Amari T/Dal 89 Tillman, Cedric 23/3 10 Schwartz, Anthony 21/3 16 Darden, Jaelon W/TB    
RWR★★ 11 Peoples-Jones, Donovan 20/6 19 GOODWIN, MARQUISE U/Sea 12 Woods II, Michael 22/6 87 Baldwin, Daylen CF22    
SWR 8 Moore, Elijah T/NYJ 18 Bell, David 22/3 9 GRANT SR., JAKEEM U/Chi 82 Harley Jr., Mike CF22    
LT 71 Wills Jr., Jedrick 20/1 66 Hudson III, James 21/4 59 HAEG, JOE SF22        
LG 75 BITONIO, JOEL 14/2 72 Gossett, Colby U/Atl 68 Dunn, Michael SF20 67 Martin, Wes U/Was    
C 55 Pocic, Ethan U/Sea 56 Wypler, Luke 23/6 53 Harris, Nick 20/5        
RG 77 Teller, Wyatt T/Buf 70 Forbes, Drew W/Det 52 Deaton, Dawson 22/7        
RT 78 Conklin, Jack U/Ten 74 Jones, Dawand 23/4 79 Wheatley Jr., Tyrone SF22        
TE 85 Njoku, David 17/1 84 AKINS, JORDAN U/Hou 88 Bryant, Harrison 20/4 83 Mitchell-Paden, Zaire CF22 43 Greaney, Thomas CF23
QB 4★★ Watson, Deshaun T/Hou 15 Dobbs, Joshua U/Ten 17 Thompson-Robinson, Dorian 23/5 7 Mond, Kellen W/Min    

★★

RB

24 Chubb, Nick 18/2 34 Ford, Jerome 22/5 25 Felton Jr., Demetric 21/6 41 Kelly Jr., John SF20 48 McCrary, Nate SF22
RB                 30 Hall, Hassan CF23
DEFENSE
★LDE 95 Garrett, Myles 17/1 91 Wright, Alex 22/3 58 Thomas, Isaiah 22/7 92 Kamara, Sam SF22 69 Martin, Jeremiah CF23
★LDT 96 Elliott, Jordan 20/3 97 Winfrey, Perrion 22/4 98 Hill, Trysten U/Arz 65 Dwumfour, Michael SF23    
★RDT 94 Tomlinson, Dalvin U/Min 62 Ika, Siaki 23/3 93 Togiai, Tommy 21/4 90 Hurst II, Maurice U/SF    
RDE 99 SMITH, ZA'DARIUS T/Min 54 Okoronkwo, Ogbo U/Hou 57 McGuire, Isaiah 23/4 63 Phelps, Lonnie CF23    
WLB 28 Owusu-Koramoah, Jeremiah 21/2 40 Adams, Matthew U/Chi 51 Kunaszyk, Jordan SF22        
MLB 5 Walker Jr., Anthony U/Ind 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3 43 Diabate, Mohamoud CF23        
SLB 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 42 Fields II, Tony 21/5 35 Thomas III, Charlie CF23        
LCB 21 Ward, Denzel 18/1 27 Ford, Mike U/Atl 31 Graham Jr., Thomas P/Chi 49 Westry, Chris SF23    
SS 22 Delpit, Grant 20/2 26 MCLEOD, RODNEY U/Ind 36 Bolden, Bubba SF22        
FS 1 Thornhill, Juan U/KC 37 Bell, D'Anthony CF22 33 Hickman Jr., Ronnie CF23        
RCB 23 Emerson Jr., Martin 22/3 38 Green III, A.J. CF20 39 Biggers, Caleb CF23        
NB 20 Newsome II, Greg 21/1 29 Mitchell, Cameron 23/5 48 McCalister, Tanner CF23
  • Upvote 1

SPECIAL TEAMS
PT 13 Bojorquez, Corey U/GB 16 Charlton, Joseph SF22            
PK 3 York, Cade 22/4                
LS 47 HUGHLETT, CHARLEY P/KC                
H 13 Bojorquez, Corey U/GB 16 Charlton, Joseph SF22            
KO 3 York, Cade 22/4                
PR 9 GRANT SR., JAKEEM U/Chi 11 Peoples-Jones, Donovan 20/6 16 Darden, Jaelon W/TB        
KR 9 GRANT SR., JAKEEM U/Chi 34 Ford, Jerome 22/5 16

Darden, Jaelon W/TB.       .

Team Needs

1. Defensive Line
2. Linebacker
3. Running Back

Myles Garrett finished with 16 sacks and the rest of the line combined for 10. To make matters worse, this defense was eighth worst in the league in yards per carry allowed and their two next best options behind Garrett are free agents.

Key FA: DE Jadeveon Clowney, RB Kareem Hunt, LB Anthony Walker

Check out our initial DL review here: https://youtu.be/o8f-iy1w6k0

• mjp28 pinned this topic
On 5/27/2023 at 2:59 PM, mjp28 said:

On 5/27/2023 at 3:03 PM, mjp28 said:

year IR  12 Woods II, Michael 22/6

Injury insurance/ PS

10 Schwartz, Anthony 21/3 16 Darden, Jaelon W/TB

87 Baldwin, Daylen CF22   82 Harley Jr., Mike CF22

Browns in mix to add D-Hop... What comes next ?

a.) Trade Coop or DPJ's ?

or

b.) Who's the 7th/8th WR we cut ?

Not the worst problem to have heading into TC. interesting to say the least !  

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

year IR  12 Woods II, Michael 22/6

Injury insurance/ PS

10 Schwartz, Anthony 21/3 16 Darden, Jaelon W/TB

87 Baldwin, Daylen CF22   82 Harley Jr., Mike CF22

Browns in mix to add D-Hop... What comes next ?

a.) Trade Coop or DPJ's ?

or

b.) Who's the 7th/8th WR we cut ?

Not the worst problem to have heading into TC. interesting to say the least !  

This may not be popular because it's about a 2 year window I'm talking here.  I'd keep Cooper to make one helluva 1-2 punch on the perimeter with him and Hopkins. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and he took the Browns to the playoffs. I'm not annoyed at all. I knew you would do it. Ruin a thread with an underlying point that isn't valid. Landry and obj were not drafted. obj was a cast off, from the giants who wanted RID of him. All teams had to do was to double cover Landry and the offense struggled in the passing game, they could key on the running game. TE is not a wide receiver. Obj blew off again, was injured a lot. Not much of a wr group, thanks for making my point. With Landry and obj in 2020 , Browns went to the playoffs. Like I said - new members can see the trouble starts when your little clique doesn't get to rule.

Landry and obj - playoffs.

then

What he's unable to say folks is Flugel was 100% correct and he wishes he was better prepared with his argument. He's also sorry about all of his whining since he entered this thread.   I actually had to remind him that Landry and OBJ were brought here to help the QB when he was incapable of that.  The Browns also drafted DPJ in the 6th round in 2020; and he's been an important piece of the passing game ever since.  If it was possible, Cal would apologize to you all for his lack of knowledge about the roster.  He's already excused himself for being unaware that the TE position is supposed to be a big role in Stefanski's offense out on the perimeter to help the QBs here.  That said, the Mackey Award winner (Bryant), 1st round TE (Njoku), and FA (Hooper) were all here to help Baker.  Unfortunately, they all had better success with their previous QBs.  

If you were actually really bellyaching about the Browns prioritizing WRs more today in the draft, the Browns haven't been able to draft any before round 3 the last 2 years. 

Tell the poli board - we were happy to baby sit you in here!

~  AND this line of discussion   ENDS   here.   The end no more posts,  they will be eliminated.       

Back to the   BROWNS DEPTH CHART THREAD posts only.          Thank you,        :)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

What he's unable to say folks is Flugel was 100% correct and he wishes he was better prepared with his argument. He's also sorry about all of his whining since he entered this thread.   I actually had to remind him that Landry and OBJ were brought here to help the QB when he was incapable of that.  The Browns also drafted DPJ in the 6th round in 2020; and he's been an important piece of the passing game ever since.  If it was possible, Cal would apologize to you all for his lack of knowledge about the roster.  He's already excused himself for being unaware that the TE position is supposed to be a big role in Stefanski's offense out on the perimeter to help the QBs here.  That said, the Mackey Award winner (Bryant), 1st round TE (Njoku), and FA (Hooper) were all here to help Baker.  Unfortunately, they all had better success with their previous QBs.  

If you were actually really bellyaching about the Browns prioritizing WRs more today in the draft, the Browns haven't been able to draft any before round 3 the last 2 years. 

Tell the poli board - we were happy to baby sit you in here!

~  AND this line of discussion   ENDS   here.   The end no more posts,  they will be eliminated.       

Back to the   BROWNS DEPTH CHART THREAD posts only.          Thank you,        :)

After worrying about the depth at QB before the draft, I think the Browns have found some sufficient help (now that Dobbs finally has some fill-in starter experience) and the rookie DTR has had completion percentages over 70%.  Not only that, but the rookie will probably be the scout team QB in practice against our 1st team defense.  Considering how many of today's QBs are elusive in the pocket and/or present big problems when they leave the pocket - this guy can give our defense the reality theey need to be preparing for.

• Upvote 1

Cleveland Browns - Depth Chart

Offensive Positions

POS STARTER SECOND THIRD+
Quarterback Deshaun Watson Joshua Dobbs
Dorian Thompson-Robinson * free 54th QB roster spot
Running Back Nick Chubb Jerome Ford
Wide Receiver Amari Cooper Elijah Moore
Marquise Goodwin NFL ILLNESS LIST* (blood clots lungs/legs)
Jakeem Grant *going to be close/bubble healthy
Anthony Schwartz  NFI*/came off 7-28 (hamstring)
Michael Woods II *IR knee 2023   NFI* (ACL knee)
Tight End David Njoku Jordan Akins
Left Tackle Jedrick Wills James Hudson Hunter Thedford
Left Guard Joel Bitonio Michael Dunn
Colby Gossett  NFI* came off 7-29 (foot)
Center Ethan Pocic Nick Harris
Right Guard Wyatt Teller Drew Forbes
Dawson Deaton*- 7-6-23 Waived/injured. added CB Bopete Keyes-7-29 waived/injury(finger) 
Right Tackle Jack Conklin Dawand Jones

Defensive Positions

Left Defensive End Myles Garrett Alex Wright
Right Defensive End Za'Darius Smith Obo Okoronkwo
Left Defensive Tackle Dalvin Tomlinson Siaki Ika
Perrion Winfrey  CUT day before TC
Right Defensive Tackle Jordan Elliott Maurice Hurst
Strongside Linebacker Sione Takitaki *Projected PUP Tony Fields II
Middle Linebacker Anthony Walker Jacob Phillips Mohamoud Diabate
Weakside Linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Matthew Adams
Right Cornerback Greg Newsome II A.J. Green
7-31 Lorenzo Burns (replace Keyes)
Left Cornerback Denzel Ward Martin Emerson
Strong Safety Grant Delpit Rodney McLeod
Free Safety Juan Thornhill D'Anthony Bell

Special Teams Positions

Punter Corey Bojorquez Joseph Charlton
Kicker Cade York
Long Snapper Charley Hughlett
Holder Corey Bojorquez Joseph Charlton
Punt Returner Jakeem Grant Donovan Peoples-Jones
Kick Returner Jakeem Grant Jerome Ford

RED lock 53 man roster..

BLUE project to get in..

BUT ! it's mid June ! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Offensive Positions

Defensive Positions

Special Teams Positions

Kicker Cade York

RED lock 53 man roster..

BLUE project to get in..

BUT ! it's mid June ! 

Awesome job with that Gumbs!  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Offensive Positions

Defensive Positions

Special Teams Positions

Kicker Cade York

RED lock 53 man roster..

BLUE project to get in..

BUT ! it's mid June ! 

Nice! The depth chart thread is my favorite. I love getting to know even the guys that only have a 1 % chance of making the final roster. Let's hope this is THE roster that gets us what we are all hoping for.

Z

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

fine. same old clique. Your friends can screw up the board all they want. bring the other forum over here all they want.

I'll always be a browns fan, as about 50 percent of the fans who are disgusted with that trade.

again, your hostility is because of the other forum, so I"ve been told.

I'm fine wtih not posting anythihg negative again, if you can just have your little friends do the same thing.

Besides, I'm going to have my knee replaced and won't be on for a while. You need to decide if you are going to be fair or not with the rules.

STFU you spineless coward.   The last time I spoke with Stan (Atenears) - he said you were the biggest pain in his ass tattling on people on the poli board.  When I asked how bad is it - he said it felt like it was every week or 2.  So, you're a man in your late 60s tattling on people that frequently.  Even more pathetic, every time he researched your complaints - you were always the instigator and the bigger jerk in the argument. That's what the guy who started our board thought of you.  You're a pussy and he's right.  

Who else on this board needs to holster up a hand gun when they take friends/family to Chuckee Cheese? 

You contribute NOTHING to the football board.  Did you ever wonder why I was the only one that ever complimented your football posts?   

And here you are snipping back at someone that is willing to give you another chance.

You're just like your idol.  You never know when to shut your trap!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/6/2023 at 8:40 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I've said it many times on here, I have zero problems with someone having a moral issue with Deshaun Watson, and being unhappy the Browns traded for him. Zero.

But some MAGA nimrod trying to act all holier than thou about it? The same MAGA hilljack that cries "Look out new posters, if you don't agree with this one specific clique they will silence you!" is the same calfox who has run to the moderators FOR YEARS trying to get people kicked off here who upset his tender feelings.

Fuck that noise. With any luck that  treasonous orange piece of shit will choke on a Big Mac and he and whatever died on his head will be rotting in hell sooner than later. 

Now, back to the Browns depth chart.... AGAIN.

Oh fuck you and fuck your politics. I don't really follow this one very much because it's pretty obvious that Watson is probably number one on the depth chart. He's the most talented guy on paper in the quarterback room especially since they shit canned Brissett.

There's probably more than one reason to not like him but his skin color isn't one of them. Then again give me a call when the Browns get out of the AFC North celler.

WSS

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh fuck you and fuck your politics. I don't really follow this one very much because it's pretty obvious that Watson is probably number one on the depth chart. He's the most talented guy on paper in the quarterback room especially since they shit canned Brissett.

There's probably more than one reason to not like him but his skin color isn't one of them. Then again give me a call when the Browns get out of the AFC North celler.

WSS

Give you a call?

I never even bother conversing with you on this message board. 

Not WSS

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

fine. same old clique. Your friends can screw up the board all they want. bring the other forum over here all they want.

I'll always be a browns fan, as about 50 percent of the fans who are disgusted with that trade.

I'm fine wtih not posting anythihg negative again, if you can just have your little friends do the same thing.

Besides, I'm going to have my knee replaced and won't be on for a while. You need to decide if you are going to be fair or not with the rules.

who the hell is screwing up the browns board ? you mean people like nickers and gorka ? at least nickers tries to talk football (god bless him) but your pal gorka only brings insults and bullshit and a very low football iq. if anything at all

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Stan (Atenears) -

That's the guy who started our board 

Sadly, 🥲

Stan would have been celebrating his 56th birthday this Tuesday 🙏   

About ATENEARS  

• Birthday 06/13/1967  🎂
  • Far to soon friend !  Happy Birthday founder Stan !  🍻
  • depth chart topic..
  • #56 C Luuu-ke Wypler !     photo-thumb-1468.png.5576b07e55d031eed7a19106933c1c38.png
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

What other forum?? My friends?

I'm just trying to keep the board moving in its intended fashion and keeping you from hijacking every thread to let us know you don't approve of Watson. We get it. Move on.

Z

• Thanks 1

Time for a Browns Board tailgate & some chants of Koom By Ahh, or however it's spelled lol. 

Go Browns, I can't wait til Sept 10th when they kick the BenGals asses. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

You aren't keeping me from anything. I've hardly posted, and only whined about that trade in a FEW threads. But anyone who is in your little clique can interrupt any damn time they want to. and bring the other forum over here anytime they want to. If you think I'm the only fan who is disgusted, you live in a very tiny world.  Have a nice tiny day.

I still don't know what clique you speak of. I rarely talk to anyone on the board.

You keep saying "other forum". I thought maybe you meant Barking Tard? But now I think you mean our own Poli Board. Dude, I haven't been in there in years. And when I did it was probably because Steve asked me to look at something that was going on in there. I've never had any interest in anything over there, I log onto this page,  and I stay on this page. The Browns forum on The Browns Board is the only reason I'm here. You could come out as Trans on the Poli Board and I wouldn't even know it. Maybe you did. Maybe that's what's eating your ass. But I'm eventually going to have to delete all this shit so we can have a nice streamlined depth chart thread. You are making me work again. I hate working, I come here for fun ... You and Ghoolie ... I swear. Here to make me work ... Probably why I stay away in the offseason. But I'm starting to get the bug again, so you are stuck with me. So move on from your latest childlike butthurt, everyone else has.

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2023 at 8:33 AM, Zombo said:

Nice! The depth chart thread is my favorite. I love getting to know even the guys that only have a 1 % chance of making the final roster. Let's hope this is THE roster that gets us what we are all hoping for.

Z

Great points!  I LOVE having a depth chart and Gumbs did an awesome job on it for us.  It's fun to see how the positions that needed the most attention got it in the off season.  Look at the drastic difference in our defensive line.  The improvement there should keep the offensive linemen off our LBers.  Even better, we add the extensive experience of Jim Schwartz to Coordinate the sic em, sock em and sack em.   

Offensively, it'll be nice to have the starting QB with us in week 1.  I think Jerome Ford can do an excellent job replacing of Kareem Hunt.  I've watched his highlights of his last year in college as the #1 prong of attack for a team that made the BCS Playoffs for the 1st time.  The guy scored 20 TDs for that team. He's a good receiver out of the backfield too.  He'll be wearing #34 (like Kevin Mack and Greg Pruitt) so I hope he does it justice.  I also read that Nick Chubb is dedicating this season to Jim Brown so I'm feeling pretty good about our 1st 2 backs.  I get the impression the FO will continue to bring in competition for the 3rd RB spot.  The WR Corps looks promising on paper. The more time and experience they get working with Watson - the more we'll see the chemistry taking off. 

Hopefully we can pin this depth chart if it hasn't already been done.

• Upvote 2

Jerome Ford will be KR full-time this season -- he was 6th in the NFL in return distance last season.  DPJ did punt returns the second half of last season.. and given the other WR's, could do that this season also.  Given these two roles, Grant has no roster spot.. I wouldn’t take him over Bell or Goodwin for WR6.

I wouldn’t roster Phillips this season even on his rookie deal.. every snap he takes is a snap that could go to someone who doesn’t suck.. For this reason Fields should be listed as a lock.  Any other LB who’s been doing well in practice would be decent to try as well.  Phillips is an athlete who just isn’t good at football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Jerome Ford will be KR full-time this season -- he was 6th in the NFL in return distance last season.  DPJ did punt returns the second half of last season.. and given the other WR's, could do that this season also.  Given these two roles, Grant has no roster spot.. I wouldn’t take him over Bell or Goodwin for WR6.

I wouldn’t roster Phillips this season even on his rookie deal.. every snap he takes is a snap that could go to someone who doesn’t suck.. For this reason Fields should be listed as a lock.  Any other LB who’s been doing well in practice would be decent to try as well.  Phillips is an athlete who just isn’t good at football.

Great point about Phillips and giving others a shot!  The next time I see text book form tackle from him will be the first time.  On top of being a bad tackler, experience hasn't made him more instinctive at all. With a guy like this - there's a short window where he either develops or the bad habits become permanent.  I'd like to see what Schwartz can get out of JOK if he can stay healthy and Fields.  

When Andy Reid was asked about the big play Nick Bolton made in the Super Bowl - he said that's why we drafted him. We thought he was the best tackler we saw on film; and he has a great nose for the football.  Sometimes the Browns get caught up drafting athletes they think we can develop into good football players; and it doesn't always work.  

Jakeem Grant Sr.

It's just not in my 🏈 DNA to not pull for a player like WR/ST'er Jakeem Grant...

a.) was to make 3.5M in 2023.. Takes a pay cut to 1.76M in Feb. 2023, just to be able to still get a camp invite 

b.) Grant has been in the building all off season, rehabbing his 2nd (same) tore Achilles since last camp.. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/jakeem-grant-interview-on-achilles-recovery

c.) In May.. new Kick-off rule...The NFL safety 🧚‍♂️ fairy's, now allow fair catches on kickoffs to be given the 25 yard line..(Bubba Vetrone ain't happy)

Would It not shock anyone in the least? NOT seeing Jakeem Grant Sr. fair catch a damn ball all training camp.  😁

1) at age 30, ya just hope Grant's wheels have a full camp left giving him a chance

2.) I'm not really sold yet, on watching our RB2 Jerome Ford return kicks, with only Felton behind him 🫣 

More on the Depth Chart 

DT-- It's been since 2019 thru 2020 we saw Ogun with Shelton Richardson at DT.. Is Tomlinson & __________ any better of a upgrade?

LB--reports say Taki will start season on PUP... Anthony Walker visited the Commanders before signing back with us in 2023.. 

CLE

Anthony Walker

---Left knee quad tendon--

on Sept. 22....  I'm no doctor... But, A. Walk needs to be running

& tackling to not add a body this close to camp?

Any FA ILB left? Is Kyle Van Noy worth a FA visit ?

Feels like were going into Training Camp with what we got? like most..  But, the plane ain't loaded to West Virginia yet ! 

Happy Fathers Day Weekend  !   🍻

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Great point about Phillips and giving others a shot!  The next time I see text book form tackle from him will be the first time.  On top of being a bad tackler, experience hasn't made him more instinctive at all. With a guy like this - there's a short window where he either develops or the bad habits become permanent.  I'd like to see what Schwartz can get out of JOK if he can stay healthy and Fields.  

When Andy Reid was asked about the big play Nick Bolton made in the Super Bowl - he said that's why we drafted him. We thought he was the best tackler we saw on film; and he has a great nose for the football.  Sometimes the Browns get caught up drafting athletes they think we can develop into good football players; and it doesn't always work.  

The Browns seemingly made some shrewd roster moves this offseason, but the LB unit pretty much is a "God I hope the starters can stay healthy" situation once again. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns seemingly made some shrewd roster moves this offseason, but the LB unit pretty much is a "God I hope the starters can stay healthy" situation once again. 

No kidding but it's always that way. I forget who but some sports pundit said that starting players who have been banged up are probably still better than second stringers. No doubt there's still some crapshoot involved. And like always something that looks shrewd on paper before the season starts.. well you get the idea.

Like the Old Hockey joke: what do the Maple Leaves have in common with the titanic? They both look great until they hit the ice.

WSS

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hopefully all of the offseason moves upfront protects them way better than last year.  The only good news about last year was we got to see the alternative to Phillips was an upgrade.  I just read JOK spent a lot of time in the weight room (where he added weight and muscle) so he doesn't get bullied by TEs. I don't know if any of this will make you feel any better about the depth but here's a few thoughts. The arrival of Za'Darius Smith as an OLB pushes a very reliable Taki Taki to a backup UNLESS Smith is going to line up exclusively in a 3 point on the edge all year per Gumbs' depth chart.  Taki Taki can also be the 1st one off the bench in the Middle. This team has a rarely mentioned backup OLB (Jordan Kunaszyk) that played in all but 2 games last year.  He's 6'3" 235lbs and he's been in the league since 2019.  He's a great open field tackler and very reliable on STs.  Also, Tony Fields got a lot of experience behind a bad situation upfront last year.  If the DL improves the way we hope/think it can - he could look a lot better.  We're gonna find out pretty soon what we have here...

Let me preface this, by saying trust the depth chart more than my fluent jibberish thinking out-loud here.  I can't help but thinking we didn't bring Ogbo Okoronko, Isaiah McGuire, and Lonnie Phelps here to watch 1 guy (that can also play OLB) play their position all year.  

Edited by Flugel
Added 2nd paragraph

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Hopefully all of the offseason moves upfront protects them way better than last year.  The only good news about last year was we got to see the alternative to Phillips was an upgrade.  I just read JOK spent a lot of time in the weight room (where he added weight and muscle) so he doesn't get bullied by TEs. I don't know if any of this will make you feel any better about the depth but here's a few thoughts. The arrival of Za'Darius Smith as an OLB pushes a very reliable Taki Taki to a backup UNLESS Smith is going to line up exclusively in a 3 point on the edge all year per Gumbs' depth chart.  Taki Taki can also be the 1st one off the bench in the Middle. This team has a rarely mentioned backup OLB (Jordan Kunaszyk) that played in all but 2 games last year.  He's 6'3" 235lbs and he's been in the league since 2019.  He's a great open field tackler and very reliable on STs.  Also, Tony Fields got a lot of experience behind a bad situation upfront last year.  If the DL improves the way we hope/think it can - he could look a lot better.  We're gonna find out pretty soon what we have here...

Let me preface this, by saying trust the depth chart more than my fluent jibberish thinking out-loud here.  I can't help but thinking we didn't bring Ogbo Okoronko, Isaiah McGuire, and Lonnie Phelps here to watch 1 guy (that can also play OLB) play their position all year.  

Yeah, that's the hope, that the DLine keeps the LBs "clean" and less prone to get the crap kicked out of them. I'm not sure when Takitaki will be healthy enough to play at a high level. Hopefully the entire unit has much better health, and if not, the LB unit is a deeper one than last year.

I know they took JOK with a high second rounder, but it still feels like this front office kind of looks at the LBs as "something we'll get to later...." 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

This team has a rarely mentioned backup OLB (Jordan Kunaszyk) that played in all but 2 games last year.  He's 6'3" 235lbs and he's been in the league since 2019.  He's a great open field tackler and very reliable on STs. 

Living in Carolina, you can see why Jim Schwartz maybe the perfect coach for a Jordan Kunaszyk..

https://theriotreport.com/why-the-panthers-kept-udfa-jordan-kunaszyk-on-the-roster/  definition of NFL underdog

xJHFQb_xIA7bHrdoy2ejv9CRAB7yLIp8fGYeUoKOjKE.thumb.webp.98288581d6fcd5d345e3ca3b0b34e488.webp

JK became a film rat from Luke... I can also tell ya.. From my Week 1 seats at Carolina. Jordan's not running ST lanes at 4.8's anymore, being the 3rd guy down

Kutz is a guy I'd like to see get his chance,with some help from this D-front keeping him clean.. Jordan's no Luke.. but his background & work ethic is what Schwartz see's he can work with. 

Having my #2 back return kicks isn't an idea I'm thrilled about.  PR maybe, easier job protecting yourself.   And while the KR game isn't what it was compared to  even 10 years ago, it's still shots you're taking while playing a position that has a short shelf life.  While you're still going to be counted on for meaningful minutes behind Chubb.

Jacob Phillips has special teams value, that's it.   I've never seen a linebacker more out of place for his run keys and zone drop landmarks at the professional level.   He's out there basically just seeing what's in front of him, but not processing or understanding it.     He'd be the first LB I'd cut.

JoK putting on weight isn't a bad thing, but it depends on how much.  His frame isn't going to be a natural 230lbs.   Which is right about the size of Roquan Smith, who was blessed to go from a Chicago team with the IDL to keep him free, and now plays in Baltimore where he enjoys that same luxury.   Yes, a bigger key to the health of the 2nd level is by having a quality line in front of them.  After all, LB's are just RB's but without the ball.  They too tend to have a short(er) shelf life.  

Going back to Young JOK himself though, it isn't so much his physical size he needs to improve, but his off-ball consistency.   Nobody is going to deny he's great at "see ball, get ball".  But when he's the weakside fill man, or in the passing game, he's found himself out of place quite a bit for a guy with his athletic abilities.  That lead, most famously, to some frustration I pointed out with Johnny J3.   There are good reasons you didn't see him on the field in our nickel and dime situations at times last season.  Some as early as week 1 where you'd think you'd want an athlete of his caliber out there.   What you see him do is, in a sense, no different than seeing these young iso ballers in the NBA who don't know how to plays as a team yet.  Sure, you can run some highlights yourself, but the off-ball work that a coach like Pop would preach for half court offensive efficiency just escapes them.         Run fits and finding/choking throwing lanes are about selflessness and understanding, then playing, your role as a LB.  

To speak to @gumby73's question about D.T. being an upgrade over Jobi or Richardson...? Well, yes.   And given my belief that Ika takes over the shade as a rookie, sooner rather than later, I think you see Dalvin really excel this season as an interior rusher getting more looks at 3tech.   It was a role I was hoping Perrion would take over this season, but he needs to work on getting his head straight.  But the key to unlocking the pass rush isn't having another pro-bowler *across* from Myles, it's about having a interior push next to him.   Dealing with a 3/4 tech and a primo edge rusher on the same side is an absolute bitch for every OL and coach.   My prime example has been to point at Leonard Floyd, who was a solid pass rusher before he got to the Rams.  But when paired with Aaron Donald, he started netting double digit sacks while he was in L.A.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Living in Carolina, you can see why Jim Schwartz maybe the perfect coach for a Jordan Kunaszyk..

https://theriotreport.com/why-the-panthers-kept-udfa-jordan-kunaszyk-on-the-roster/  definition of NFL underdog

xJHFQb_xIA7bHrdoy2ejv9CRAB7yLIp8fGYeUoKOjKE.thumb.webp.98288581d6fcd5d345e3ca3b0b34e488.webp

JK became a film rat from Luke... I can also tell ya.. From my Week 1 seats at Carolina. Jordan's not running ST lanes at 4.8's anymore, being the 3rd guy down

Kutz is a guy I'd like to see get his chance,with some help from this D-front keeping him clean.. Jordan's no Luke.. but his background & work ethic is what Schwartz see's he can work with. 

Great job with the picture of him and good points Gumbs! 

When the length of the average play from scrimmage doesn't exceed 4 seconds - you need guys that can always get themselves into position to make the tackle (and they don't always have to be fast like a Tedy Bruschi who beat a lot of faster foot speeds into his hook zones).  In order to do that and anticipate what's coming, you have to be well prepared and possess an experience volume to play with a reliable 1st step instinct that gets you to the tackle.  JMO, I don't think he'll stay 3rd on the depth chart but I could be wrong about that.  He played in all but 2 games last year so the Browns appreciated what he brought to this team behind a weak interior line up front. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Having my #2 back return kicks isn't an idea I'm thrilled about.  PR maybe, easier job protecting yourself.   And while the KR game isn't what it was compared to  even 10 years ago, it's still shots you're taking while playing a position that has a short shelf life.  While you're still going to be counted on for meaningful minutes behind Chubb.

Jacob Phillips has special teams value, that's it.   I've never seen a linebacker more out of place for his run keys and zone drop landmarks at the professional level.   He's out there basically just seeing what's in front of him, but not processing or understanding it.     He'd be the first LB I'd cut.

JoK putting on weight isn't a bad thing, but it depends on how much.  His frame isn't going to be a natural 230lbs.   Which is right about the size of Roquan Smith, who was blessed to go from a Chicago team with the IDL to keep him free, and now plays in Baltimore where he enjoys that same luxury.   Yes, a bigger key to the health of the 2nd level is by having a quality line in front of them.  After all, LB's are just RB's but without the ball.  They too tend to have a short(er) shelf life.  

Going back to Young JOK himself though, it isn't so much his physical size he needs to improve, but his off-ball consistency.   Nobody is going to deny he's great at "see ball, get ball".  But when he's the weakside fill man, or in the passing game, he's found himself out of place quite a bit for a guy with his athletic abilities.  That lead, most famously, to some frustration I pointed out with Johnny J3.   There are good reasons you didn't see him on the field in our nickel and dime situations at times last season.  Some as early as week 1 where you'd think you'd want an athlete of his caliber out there.   What you see him do is, in a sense, no different than seeing these young iso ballers in the NBA who don't know how to plays as a team yet.  Sure, you can run some highlights yourself, but the off-ball work that a coach like Pop would preach for half court offensive efficiency just escapes them.         Run fits and finding/choking throwing lanes are about selflessness and understanding, then playing, your role as a LB.  

To speak to @gumby73's question about D.T. being an upgrade over Jobi or Richardson...? Well, yes.   And given my belief that Ika takes over the shade as a rookie, sooner rather than later, I think you see Dalvin really excel this season as an interior rusher getting more looks at 3tech.   It was a role I was hoping Perrion would take over this season, but he needs to work on getting his head straight.  But the key to unlocking the pass rush isn't having another pro-bowler *across* from Myles, it's about having a interior push next to him.   Dealing with a 3/4 tech and a primo edge rusher on the same side is an absolute bitch for every OL and coach.   My prime example has been to point at Leonard Floyd, who was a solid pass rusher before he got to the Rams.  But when paired with Aaron Donald, he started netting double digit sacks while he was in L.A.

Good news for you - bad news for me. The bad news for me is I made an assumption and provided wrong info off the following statement: "JOK hit the offseason weight room so he can take on tight ends better this year."  This is in the Browns roster section in Lindy's Pro Football Preview 2023 where they give the height and weights and a quick comment about each guy. JOK's height and weight remained the same 6'2" 221lbs it was last year so nobody has to worry if he put on too much weight.  Sorry for the misinformation on my part.

One thing we should ALL know is it's very common for Professional Football players starting in a front 7 to hit the weight room in the off season.  My first thought was why is this even worthy of mention?  Then came the thought they probably wanted him to add about 5lbs to his frame or something; or there's ZERO need to point that out.    It was the type of sports writer stuff you've warned us about and rightfully so.  

• Upvote 1