THE BROWNS BOARD

Best Run Defenses in the NFL

Mr. T

The Ravens have the longest current streak of not allowing a 100-yard rusher at 35 games; the next longest span is 23 by Minnesota.

We will see if Jamal Lewis has anything left in the tank this sunday.

Its going to be a battle in the trenches.

Will we use the run to set up play action? or use the pass to set up the run?

2 young centers could start for Browns, Vikings

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI (AP) – 3 hours ago

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The only thing experienced about John Sullivan is his beard.

Big and bushy, it makes the second-year Minnesota Vikings center look older than his 24 years, and maybe that's why he's growing it.

Just a year ago, Sullivan was a little-known sixth-round pick out of Notre Dame. But when the Vikings open the regular season at Cleveland on Sunday, he will be starting at one of the game's most complex positions, snapping the ball to none other than Brett Favre.

"I haven't been out there in a regular-season game yet," Sullivan said. "I'm sure there will be some nerves and a lot of adrenaline. I'm just going to try to stay on an even keel, do what I can do, play my game and do my responsibilities."

Depending on what Browns coach Eric Mangini decides, the game could feature two youngsters as the men in the middle. Browns first-round draft pick Alex Mack is in a battle with veteran Hank Fraley for the starting job.

Next to quarterback, center is the most difficult position on offense to master in the NFL. In most systems, the center is required to read a defense, set blocking schemes at the line of scrimmage and diagnose potential blitzers, all in the 10 seconds or so before the ball is snapped.

It would be hard to imagine either player facing a bigger challenge for a first start.

"A 370-pound guy that's going to be lined up in front of him is a pretty good challenge," Vikings All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson said of Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers. "I don't know what they have him listed at these days, but it's usually pretty heavy."

Rogers is listed at 350 pounds. Either way, that's a lot to handle for a player who relies more on his smarts than his brawn.

"You've got to stay low," the 300-pound Sullivan said. "That's basically it."

To simulate Rogers' sheer girth, the Vikings put left tackle Bryant McKinnie — 6-foot-8 and 335 pounds — on defense in practice this week during some team drills.

"He's done good so far," McKinnie said. "He's got a good test this week against Shaun Rogers, so we'll see how he does. I even lined up at nose tackle to give him a little idea. Get a bull rush from me."

If Mack gets the start over Fraley, a 10th-year veteran, he'll be running into the "Williams Wall" all day long: Vikings Pro Bowlers Kevin and Pat Williams. The two anchor one of the best run defenses in the league and are eager to introduce the rookie to life in the NFL.

"Rookie, 10-year guy, 12 years, five years, it don't matter," Pat Williams said. "I'm going to whoop anybody who gets on the field. That's how I approach the game every Sunday."

That tough talk doesn't scare Mangini. In his first season with the New York Jets, Mangini started rookies Nick Mangold at center and D'Brickashaw Ferguson at left tackle. Both have started every game since.

"There were some times where there were some growing pains and some times where they really made huge strides," Mangini said.

You can't make huge strides without taking the first one, and Mack said he is eager to get a taste of the action after starring in college at Cal.

"I'm excited to see how it goes," Mack said. "If I get put out there, I hope to do good. I'll do the best I can."

The Vikings scouted Mack extensively leading up to the draft, but the Browns picked him one spot ahead at No. 21 on draft day, so coach Brad Childress is familiar with both players.

He said both are very intelligent, a key to success at center because of how quickly they have to process a wealth of information.

Mack won the Draddy Award last season and has a degree in legal studies from Cal. Sullivan has a marketing degree from Notre Dame, and follows in the footsteps of Harvard graduate Matt Birk, who played center for the Vikings for 11 years before signing with Baltimore in the offseason.

Vikings right guard Anthony Herrera said Sullivan's "brain" was his biggest strength, but wasn't ready to say he is smarter than Birk just yet.

"I wouldn't take it there," Herrera said with a chuckle. "The Harvard guy, Birk, was truly one of a kind."

article

Unless the players around him makes plays, having Rogers in the middle doesn't amout to much because the C will have help. We gave up 140 yards a game last season. Yes, I am hopeful Smith and Coleman seriously upgrade the effect Rogers has on the OL. The majority of the nat'l press is not predicting 200+ yards for AP because we've proven otherwise.

If we have a RB go over a 100 yds on Sunday I will bet my house it WONT be Jamal Lewis...

Would you settle for a line score of 15 carries, 60 yards and a TD? We need to attempt runs. Keep those mediocre safety's honest, because they can be had. What frustrates me about Jamal is the shoestring tackles he gives up. Once he hits the second level he's hard to bring down,. but getting there proves difficult since he is easy to tackle low. He doesn't get hit high very much because he can be tripped up. But 100 yards against Minn? No. But quality runs and some successful screens are key. Screens are the newest wrinkle next to the WildDawg.

...Will we use the run to set up play action? or use the pass to set up the run?...

Pass to set up the run, I'm betting.

I really hope our first series isn't:

Play #1: Jamal in the 4 hole

Play #2: Jamal in the 8 hole

Play #3: Pass when everyone knows it

Play #4: Punt.

IMO You have to keep pounding the running game. If you start getting pass happy they will just sit back on the pass. It sounded like Mangini plans to use a balanced attack on Sunday.

Sustaining drives and forcing them to make tackles will make the run defense tired. And with 3 backs on the roster who can carry the ball that could mean fresh RB's for the 4th quarter. If Lewis would hit the holes hard we'd have our own version of Earth, Wind & Fire. B)

The Ravens have the longest current streak of not allowing a 100-yard rusher at 35 games; the next longest span is 23 by Minnesota.

We will see if Jamal Lewis has anything left in the tank this sunday.

Its going to be a battle in the trenches.

Will we use the run to set up play action? or use the pass to set up the run?

I see your point.

Perhaps a run-n-shoot approach like Atlanta used with Eric Metcalf and Jeff George: short throws to backs who can catch and run to replace your hand-offs.

I agree that the running game is important, I'm just not of the philosophy that you have to come out and run right off the bat. Throw a few passes and get them thinking pass, then run the ball. Pass when they expect run and vice versa. It's quite simple. However how many times did we see the scenario that OconRecon pointed out. That's stupid lazy play calling. Run Run Pass Punt. I've been watching that offense for far too long in Cleveland. Chud called great games in 07, after we would get an interception he would call a 7 step drop bomb to Braylon. And then last year it's like he drank paint thinner in the offseason and went back to that stupid lazy template of playcalling.

I really hope Daboll knows better

Archived