THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN: How Many Preseason Snaps is Enough?

shepwrite

He got a shitload more snaps than last season's starter.

And he got a shitload less snaps than most of the people he's actually going to playing against, which for some strange reason seems to be a bit more relevant.

Thank you for playing, though.

He got a shitload more snaps than last season's starter.

He did what? DA was the starter, and he could not compete well enough against the elite teams in the league. Yes, I give you the heartache you feel that "he wasn't given enough time to develop" but he didn't do much with his opportunities follwoing that great 2007. He had an outstanding 2007, and he was the first QB in the Pro Bowl when Brady declined. But he came into 2008 with high expectations and did not do well. I honestly don't believe he was any different at OSU, except that he beat a few teams he shouldn't have. Give him a Joe Flacco position with the Ravens with that D, and I still don't think he is that good. Flacco played on a shit team in college and carried them. DA never did that. So spare me the "he never had a chance" BS. Trust me if Quinn sucks we'll let him know.

He did what? DA was the starter, and he could not compete well enough against the elite teams in the league. Yes, I give you the heartache you feel that "he wasn't given enough time to develop" but he didn't do much with his opportunities follwoing that great 2007. He had an outstanding 2007, and he was the first QB in the Pro Bowl when Brady declined. But he came into 2008 with high expectations and did not do well. I honestly don't believe he was any different at OSU, except that he beat a few teams he shouldn't have. Give him a Joe Flacco position with the Ravens with that D, and I still don't think he is that good. Flacco played on a shit team in college and carried them. DA never did that. So spare me the "he never had a chance" BS. Trust me if Quinn sucks we'll let him know.

The apologists are already floating an excuse for Quinn doing poorly. Hopefully he'll do well, but if he doesn't I won't be surprised when people start talking about the "competition" wasting valuable snaps that would have made the difference.

Wait, what were the excuses last season when our starter was the lowest rated QB in the league? That he should have kept the job?

All's I'm saying is, DA was crucified for his play even though he missed most of preseason, didn't practice 'til 1 week before his first game (had to be inside because he had light sensitivity), played a tougher schedule than what is scheduled the first part of this season, with injuries at several line and receiving positions.... if anyone uses the excuse that BQ isn't doing well because he didn't get enough reps in preseason they're barking up the wrong tree. DA played with the hand he was dealt, BQ has his turn this time around.

The apologists are already floating an excuse for Quinn doing poorly. Hopefully he'll do well, but if he doesn't I won't be surprised when people start talking about the "competition" wasting valuable snaps that would have made the difference.

No excuses needed BQ will do just fine it may take a while for him to develop a rhythm and he is bound to make some rookie like mistakes but unlike DA he likely wont repeat the mistakes over and over again...

Everyone and their dog thinks we are going to dink and dunk but bq isnt a dinker by nature only by necessity he scans the whole field and if BE gets open or in a one on one BQ will air it out...

ah Brady's ladies already making excuses for why he will suck. SHUT UP about it. He isn't the guy, let him suck. We'll probably draft in top 5 next draft anyways

No, Idiot. Some of us are pissed that this 'competition' didn't really prepare either guy. Are you going to stop watching the Browns when your buddy is no longer here? I'd hate to see you leave, you make a great punching bag in the tavern.

Someone posted yesterday about how teams bring camp QBs so their starters don't throw their arms out. Still, the starters got 70% more snaps than either guy. And I'll bet most of them weren't learning new systems as well.

Interesting that everyone else in the league seems to think their young starters need all of the reps they can get (Flacco, Stafford, Ryan). Except us.

Ahhhhhh. It's sooo relaxing knowing we're not heading into a 5 INT game with DA. No yelling at the football. No fits when the helmet doesn't work. Just nice.

Only those pesky personal fouls while riding the pine to worry about.

Yes, a good feeling.

Quinn to win, but all know it's more about minimizing the damage of AP and line play.

I think the premise is true. The Browns QB's had too few snaps. I suspect Mangini knew who would win, and that's why he kept saying the seperation would eventually come, and it did indeed happen. However it meant that whomever he started on opening day wouldn't have their very best game.

The 2 Questions are:

1.) Was the competition an example of planning for next season, and the second half of this season?

2.) With having a competition that was settled late, had Mangini already labeled the Vikings game as a likely loss?

If one answers "Yes" to one or both questions then the competition makes perfect sense. If he's only thinking of the here and now, then it would make him an idiot to screw both QB's with fewer snaps.

Tell you what, Manwagoners, when Quinn throws 4 picks in a game, I'll consider listening to you. When Quinn throws a pick 6 to a MIDDLE LINEBACKER, maybe I'll listen to you, when Quinn rifles a pass into triple coverage, I'll think about listening to you. But only then because that's the outstanding play we've become accustomed to from DA that you guys conveniently gloss over in every thread.

Until then, you're doing nothing but bashing THE CLEVELAND BROWNS STARTING QUARTERBACK.

Which officially makes you the enemy, in my book.

I think the premise is true. The Browns QB's had too few snaps. I suspect Mangini knew who would win, and that's why he kept saying the seperation would eventually come, and it did indeed happen. However it meant that whomever he started on opening day wouldn't have their very best game.

The 2 Questions are:

1.) Was the competition an example of planning for next season, and the second half of this season?

2.) With having a competition that was settled late, had Mangini already labeled the Vikings game as a likely loss?

If one answers "Yes" to one or both questions then the competition makes perfect sense. If he's only thinking of the here and now, then it would make him an idiot to screw both QB's with fewer snaps.

now that's a example of winning football if i've ever seen one. :rolleyes:

to me, this is much ado about nothing. 30 snaps is not going to make THAT BIG of a difference. If by snap 40 you haven't already established a rhythm...what makes you think an addition 30 is going to substantially change that?

The thing is, those are just the LIVE snaps. It doesn't include all the snaps in 11 on 11 drills and all the other drills they had. That 30 'missed' snaps is such a small thing to me.

Besides, Quinn completed 67% of his passes in pre-season. That is a good number. If he had completed say 57% (hello DA) and had missed the 30 snaps...THEN I would be worried.

You don't complete 67% of your passes if you don't have timing and chemistry with the recievers...(and none of that 'short passes only' crap...DA was throwing those too and still got 57%)

Sorry, but this whole preseason has been too much about the QB competition. I know the NFL is a QB driven league but there's something called a team that wins and loses. It isn't all about the QB.

You have to have players around you to succeed. For those who think a lack of reps with the first team should be an excuse then please rewind to Cassel and every other backup that has come in and been sucessful in the NFL.

Sometimes it is more about the talent around the QB then the QB.

If the defense can't get the other team off the field and the QB is always taking the offense and trying to come from behind, can you expect great results from a QB?

Let's get real, neither DA or Quinn are taking this team to the super bowl this year and it didn't matter how many reps they got in preseason.

So, are they preping for next year...........................hell yes. They need to know if they have a franchise QB or if they need to draft one in April. They already knew what DA could do, know they need to find out about Quinn.

There is too much of a disparity of talent for this team to compete with the Pitts and Balt's of the AFC North. Let's hope this year provides a solid foundation for the team to move forward.

If you are going to piss and moan after every loss and blame it on either QB, then you some serious meds because there will be a bunch of losses this year. This is a year of evaluation and to see just where this franchise is at. It isn't all about who the QB is.

If you are going to piss and moan after every loss and blame it on either QB, then you some serious meds because there will be a bunch of losses this year. This is a year of evaluation and to see just where this franchise is at. It isn't all about who the QB is.

And this is exaclty how I am going to watch the games this season, in evauation mode. I agree with everything you said and whie I also have gotten caught up in the QB issue, I know that it is much more about team than 1 player.

Good point about Cassel. That shoots to shit the theory that Quinn needed all those snaps.

Favre will have likley had about 200 less snaps than quinn this preseason. I don't see anyone making excuses for him, he has a torn labrum in his shoulder, no excuses made..he's ready and he's playing.

Quinn is a pro football player..he does not need a million reps to get ready.. Why worry about something that is in the past and you cannot change.. He's had enough reps.. good grief..These guys have been practcing together since spring. Seriously this is dumb.. how many backups come into a game out of nowhere midway through the season and play great.. history show's there have been plenty... The don't say "well coach I don't think I'm ready even though the starter has a broken leg, cuz I have only worked with the practice squad the first 8 weeks of the season" ... No ..they go play.. Quinn has been preparing to start from day one.. Man this post really pisses me off.

Archived