THE BROWNS BOARD

DA @ 31st in NFL, over Thigpen, Griese, and Fitzpatrick...

OconRecon

... but can't catch the pesky Flacco or Orlovsky. Link

Meanwhile, Jamal is not having the same season he did last year, yet is ranked 14th. Link

Braylon is dropping more passes then ever, yet is ranked in the top third. Link

The D is 7th in points allowed proving the Browns did what they had to do in the off season. Link

Its just too bad. This team is 3-4. It should be 4-3 or 5-2.

THANK GOD - there was an offsides penalty when DA was all ready to be DA with the stupid INT. Just like the Cincy game an offsides penalty saved him from being him. That said, considering it was DA - I only felt like puking a couple times, which means he played great for him.

Unfortunately, I'm at the point where I get mixed feelings about approval of winning less than half our outings in body by DA. I think we make Sundays so much TOUGHER than they need to be wondering what guy will show up. AFTER your NT tackle blocks and scoops an opponents FG - you don't go 3 and out unless you're DA. In the 3 plays there was the INT that didn't count fortunately and a careless fumble that Joe Thomas covered. If we had BETTER QBing we should have blown Jax's doors off yesterday the way our D played. Jax's leading rusher was their QB.

I PUMPED we won; but this buys DA another month of DA level passing game we'll be held hostage to. We'll get the old "yeah but HE beat Jax without any help the way he beat NY all by himself." Ken Dorsey could have us 3 wins by now. icon_twisted.gif

- Tom F. (Should this team be 3-4 right now? You're only as good as your QB lets you be)

Flug -

While I agree that we've been satisfied with mediocrity in DA and that our record would be better with many other quarterbacks, I don't think you can bash him after a game like yesterday. He didn't make any blatent mistakes. And that interception, I THINK, was just DA taking a chance downfield because he saw the defense jump offsides.

Next week is the test. Get revenge on the Ravens. A very, very good defense. He plays a good game next week, and he buys some time. That will be 4 of his last 5 games he has given us a chance to win. I'm going to put a pause on my DA bashing until next week if he plays poorly.

But for right now, the guy and the team as a whole seem to be turning a corner.

Guest ATENEARS

C'mon, we are going to now blame Derek Anderson because we didn't blow-out Jacksonville on the Road???

We had ONE 3-and-out in the first half, and the series went Jamal for 4-yards, Anderson to Stallworth for 5-yards, and Vickers gets stuffed on 3rd-and-1 ... you blaming DA for all of that?

Meanwhile Jacksonville put together a 10-play drive, a 13-play drive, and an 8-play drive to start the game. Guess what? We countered offensively with a 9-play TD drive, a 6-play TD drive, a 5-play Field Goal drive and a Punt that went out at the 1-yardline to seal the half.

The first drive had DA hooking up out of the backfield with Vickers for 19 yards, one great runs by Jamal Lewis of 19, and two 2-yard gains. Anderson hit Edwards down the middle seam for 21, Heiden for 10 on 2nd-and-8 and finished with a dart to Stallworth in the end zone to take an early lead on the road.

Our defense goes and throws up a 13-play debactle and allows the Jags to tie.

We come back out with three straight runs after an incompletion and then go for it on fourth down. The past few weeks you have been riding Anderson hard about a missed pass at Heidens feet on fourth down, yet this week don't point out that he hits Heiden for a 51-yard gainer down to the 2-yardline (Note: should have been a 53 yard TD pass). It takes Lewis two cracks to put it in from the two and again we take an early lead back on the road.

Our defense finally makes a stop on 4th-and1 and DA comes right back with a HUGE freaking bomb on the money that not even Braylon Edwards can drop (although runs out of bounds instead of taking it to the house). We go conservative and settle for the field goal. Anderson was 2-of-3 for 48-yards on the drive, Jamal carried one time for 1-yard and we settled for a field goal.

To start the second half ...

We give up a 9-play, 72-yard TD to open the half. Then a 13-play Drive that luckily results in a blocked field goal.

We counter with Jamal Lewis having good runs of 12 and 4 yards, Anderson attempting a deep ball to Edwards and hits Heiden for 12 yards then Dinkins for 5 yrds more. On 2nd-and-5 your boy Harrison gets stuffed for negative yardage and a dump-off to Wright leaves us punting it away as Jamal was probably out those last two plays taking yet another 'breather'.

We get bent over again defensively like an old lady, but miracously we get the blocked field goal.

The Offense FINALLY sputters on their first possession of the fourth quarter as Anderson is sacked and fumbles on 3rd-and-3 (although fumbled recovered by Thomas, who was beaten on the play, thus the hit on DA).

The defense surrenders a 3rd-and-10 with a 20-yard gainer to Jones aided with a 15-yard roughing the passer by Shaun Rogers. This field goal attempt is good and we are all tied up, late in the ball game and still on the road.

The offense responds with a 10-play, 77-yard Field goal drive. Lewis takes the workload rattling off 6, 5, 11 and 3 yards, opening up the offense for DA to thread the needle down the middle to ex-practice squad player Sedrick Steptoe for 53-yards to the 1 yardline. Why we abandon the run here I will never know, but three shortened field passes go incomplete surrounding Lewis getting stuffed for negative yards only nets us 3-points.

Jacksonville fumbles the kick-off (Thank God, because I don't think anyone really wanted to see our defense back out there).

We go dud with lack of innovation again and gain no-yards on a Lewis carry and two incompletitions to Lewis and Heiden, but come away with the gift Fieldgoal. and 6pt-point lead with 4:11 left on clock.

NOTE: We recover the fumble with 4:27 left in the game and manage to only run off 00:16 ???

We get it back after the defense makes a nice stop, and run off only 00:57 with three Lewis runs for 6-yards net, and hang on as Jacksonville rattles off yet another 9-play drive and we were even helped out by a 15-yard roughing penalty on the Jags.

YOU WANT TO BLAME DA FOR THE TIGHT SCORE????

Our Defense can't get off the freaking field. The jaguars had 23 first downs and held the ball for over 35-minutes (to our 24:55). They were 11-of-20 on Third down attempts, and out-gained us ... yet we found a way offensively to out-score them and not turn the ball over and win.

DA has had some bad games this season ... this wasn't one of them. Go find another dog to kick around this week. (Hint: start with our Linebackers)

C'mon, we are going to now blame Derek Anderson because we didn't blow-out Jacksonville on the Road???

No, not against Jacksonville, although he was not good in the second half, especially 1st and goal on the 4 or after the kickoff fumble.

I just feel we could be in a better position from an entire season standpoint if we weren't trying to make a 31st ranked QB workout.

Most teams look for a reason to start a first round draft choice. The Browns don't.

DA did what we needed to win yesterday...but that was about it. And, as a matter of fact, he once again failed to play a COMPLETE game.

First half he did great. Second half...UGH!!!

5/12, 78 yds (53 on one play), a fumble...and an INT overturned by penalty.

He was handed the ball on

Cle 20 - punt

Cle 41 - punt

Cle 21 - FG after fumble and overturned INT

Jac 25 - FG

Totally inept in the 2nd half. Sorry, but that is the truth.

Guest ATENEARS

I prefer to look at it as the TEAM went a bit stale in the second half.

DA made some outstanding throws, and is guilty of forcing a throw knowing it was a free play via defensive penalty. The rest of the incompletes are pretty much standard football.

O-line did better, kept DA from getting the typical blocked passes, but Thomas gave up the sack that caused the fumble (although to his credit also recovered it), and they failed to provide a path for Lewis to score on the goalline, execute a couple of 3rd-and-1's, and pave a way for Lewis to run out the clock late in the game.

The Defense (minus Shaun rogers) made a couple plays, I guess. Shaun Rogers pretty much single handily altered Jacksonvilles game plan. The soft coverage by our secondary is of concern. Sean Jones whiffing on the 4th-and-1 run to the left by Jax lead to a TD.

Special teams got the big turn-over at a key part in the game. Field goals were the difference.

Jamal Lewis did a nice job pacing the game with a solid running game, but failed to run the clock out late in the game and couldn't punch it in from the one (although was only given one attempt).

Coaching had bright spots, but also the lulls which mirror the negatives (above).

It's no longer KW2, it's KWho?

Notice how the Jaguars receivers run at the soft coverage pull up a couple yards short from engaging in the coverage and head back toward for the ball giving their QB a 4-5 yard cushion to get the ball in? Whereas our's run at the coverage, engage in it, and turn around, basically making our QB's throw through a tire to complete it? Huge Difference!

... but can't catch the pesky Flacco or Orlovsky. Link

Meanwhile, Jamal is not having the same season he did last year, yet is ranked 14th. Link

Braylon is dropping more passes then ever, yet is ranked in the top third. Link

The D is 7th in points allowed proving the Browns did what they had to do in the off season. Link

Its just too bad. This team is 3-4. It should be 4-3 or 5-2.

Absolutely mind boggling to me that anyone can argue for DA after looking at these FACTS. Who are you people and why do you want the Browns to lose so badly? I understand that one goober who is from Oregon and has a man crush on DA, but anyone who is a TRUE Browns fan, what is it going to take for you to want a change? Wow.

Guest ATENEARS
Absolutely mind boggling to me that anyone can argue for DA after looking at these FACTS. Who are you people and why do you want the Browns to lose so badly? I understand that one goober who is from Oregon and has a man crush on DA, but anyone who is a TRUE Browns fan, what is it going to take for you to want a change? Wow.

Actually I wanted change heading into last season, and already got it; I wanted to start winning (we won 10 of 15), and especially winning at home where I have season tickets to the venue (we won 7 straight). I wanted us to change the fact that we had only one Pro Bowl player in the first eight seasons back (we had multiple ones including the guy your dissing and those who directly benefitted from him). I wanted a change in these dink-n-dunk crybaby QB's, and we got that in one that put up stats just shy of Brian Sipe. I wanted to quit with this knee-jerk reaction to changing for the sake of change and I like that Crennel has been patient (perhaps over-patient, but it was much needed in this organization). I hate pretty boy QB's that are token boy-wonders before they ever step foot on an NFL field. I've seen what those types can do and believe me they aren't any instant change by any stretch of the imagination. I wanted to get into big games and win them, which we did on MNF against the super Bowl Champs. I was told we couldn't win against good teams and especially on the road, Check-did that too (just yesterday).

If you "Real Fans" would quit bitching like it's 1996 all over again and start giving this team a chance to grow, we might have something someday. You guys act like freaking babies, you bitch, moan, and cry about everything and as soon as this paper franchise puts up a pretty token boy for you shallow whiners to grab onto you run out and gobble up their game day jerseys like they are going out of style.

You were one of thousands that bought a Brady Quinn Jersey, we get it. You are embarrassed to wear it in front of your girlfriend and have to explain that the guy doesn't even start ... we feel your pain .... You even bought a pink one for her, and she keeps looking for him on the field ... believe me we understand all too much, as we lived through 1999 and the kentucky rifle.

Solution: Date fat chicks and get them the safe Shaun Rogers Jersey.

Actually I wanted change heading into last season, and already got it; I wanted to start winning (we won 10 of 15), and especially winning at home where I have season tickets to the venue (we won 7 straight). I wanted us to change the fact that we had only one Pro Bowl player in the first eight seasons back (we had multiple ones including the guy your dissing and those who directly benefitted from him). I wanted a change in these dink-n-dunk crybaby QB's, and we got that in one that put up stats just shy of Brian Sipe. I wanted to quit with this knee-jerk reaction to changing for the sake of change and I like that Crennel has been patient (perhaps over-patient, but it was much needed in this organization). I hate pretty boy QB's that are token boy-wonders before they ever step foot on an NFL field. I've seen what those types can do and believe me they aren't any instant change by any stretch of the imagination. I wanted to get into big games and win them, which we did on MNF against the super Bowl Champs. I was told we couldn't win against good teams and especially on the road, Check-did that too (just yesterday).

If you "Real Fans" would quit bitching like it's 1996 all over again and start giving this team a chance to grow, we might have something someday. You guys act like freaking babies, you bitch, moan, and cry about everything and as soon as this paper franchise puts up a pretty token boy for you shallow whiners to grab onto you run out and gobble up their game day jerseys like they are going out of style.

You were one of thousands that bought a Brady Quinn Jersey, we get it. You are embarrassed to wear it in front of your girlfriend and have to explain that the guy doesn't even start ... we feel your pain .... You even bought a pink one for her, and she keeps looking for him on the field ... believe me we understand all too much, as we lived through 1999 and the kentucky rifle.

Hmmm, through your entire post, you still FAILED to acknowledge the FACTS. What has been starting quality about DA over the last 11 games as a WHOLE? You can't answer it because nothing has. I don't buy player jerseys FYI because free agency ruined any sense of team and loyalty in the NFL long ago. LOL @ the Rogers comment, but I don't even thinks that's a safe one to buy. (although my girl could prob fit in it right now she's due with our first child on wed, yikes!) (actually I could probably still fit 4 of her in Rogers jersey) With big mouthed primadonnas like Winslow and Edwards, Rogers won't be far behind if we don't make the playoffs. (which we won't with DA at the helm) The stats don't lie. I understand your happiness with a winning season last year, I was happy as well ....but get over it. Your hatred for good looking male athletes borders on absurd, it seems more like jealousy than something based on anything substantial. Most athletes have giant heads, and are full of themselves, at least 80% of the browns are. Because Quinn is a "pretty boy" as you put it, means jack squat, and is too weak of an argument coming from someone with a good head on his shoulders. I don't like knee jerk reactions either, but basing my opinion on a QB in the league for 4 years, who can't even make it to the top 20 QBs in the league on a team with an above average O-Line and some great weapons, is not knee-jerk, it's common sense. I really could care less if it's Quinn, Dorsey, or some guy we draft next year. We need a QB that can AT THE VERY LEAST be in the top 15 QBs in the league on a team ripe with talent. DA blows, and that is a fact. I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone. In any case, I digress ....GO BROWNS!! Please explain to me how our team has looked so god awful most of this year, and yet we have improved in almost every statistical category possible, except @ the most important position ....QB.

Hmmm, through your entire post, you still FAILED to acknowledge the FACTS. What has been starting quality about DA over the last 11 games as a WHOLE? You can't answer it because nothing has. I don't buy player jerseys FYI because free agency ruined any sense of team and loyalty in the NFL long ago. LOL @ the Rogers comment, but I don't even thinks that's a safe one to buy. (although my girl could prob fit in it right now she's due with our first child on wed, yikes!) (actually I could probably still fit 4 of her in Rogers jersey) With big mouthed primadonnas like Winslow and Edwards, Rogers won't be far behind if we don't make the playoffs. (which we won't with DA at the helm) The stats don't lie. I understand your happiness with a winning season last year, I was happy as well ....but get over it. Your hatred for good looking male athletes borders on absurd, it seems more like jealousy than something based on anything substantial. Most athletes have giant heads, and are full of themselves, at least 80% of the browns are. Because Quinn is a "pretty boy" as you put it, means jack squat, and is too weak of an argument coming from someone with a good head on his shoulders. I don't like knee jerk reactions either, but basing my opinion on a QB in the league for 4 years, who can't even make it to the top 20 QBs in the league on a team with an above average O-Line and some great weapons, is not knee-jerk, it's common sense. I really could care less if it's Quinn, Dorsey, or some guy we draft next year. We need a QB that can AT THE VERY LEAST be in the top 15 QBs in the league on a team ripe with talent. DA blows, and that is a fact. I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone. In any case, I digress ....GO BROWNS!! Please explain to me how our team has looked so god awful most of this year, and yet we have improved in almost every statistical category possible, except @ the most important position ....QB.

Amen, brother. I could not have said it any better myself. DA leaves too many plays on the field. Overthrowing Ali in the end zone when there is not a soul around him? Twice inside the red zone and he can't hit open receivers. He is not the long term solution. Savage is showcasing him so that they can dump him after the season. There is no other explanation as to why he is playing. Is Quinn our guy? That remains to be seen. But it is clear that DA is not.

seriously this isnt even a debate all DA does is throw 5 to 12 yard passes at receivers feet, behind them, and where they will get laid out (EX. Josh Cribbs, Washington, 'nough said) Im not saying brady will win every game but he wont make the dumb mistakes, and poor plays DA makes on a constant basis. WE NEED CHANGE, THE GOLDEN ARM STRAIGHT OUTTA OHIO, WHO GROW UP WATCHING THE ONE AND ONLY BERNIE KOSAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SOME DUMBASS HICK FROM A SMALL TOWN IN OREGON WHO LAUGHS WHEN HE MAKES DUMB PLAYS.

ps. as for K2 God bless him and everything he says. its about time somebody spoke out to this bull s*** management style of lets watch DA ruin our team, punish our franchise players, watch a passive "coach" sit there without emotion, and ruin great talent we have!

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need bill cowher!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savage is showcasing him so that they can dump him after the season. There is no other explanation as to why he is playing.

The real explanation is that DA is just better than BQ. If you think there is any other reason he is playing, and especially if you think that any NFL team in NFL history has ever considered starting a lesser player at any position just to "showcase" that player in hopes for a little extra trade value, then you have a load of shit in your pants.

Guest ATENEARS
I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone.

Good point, and we could go tit-for-tat on every 'excuse' as to why the passing game, and at times the running game, and/or protection, and over-all execution, and play calling of the offense has been inconsistient at best. But you touched on a very legit point about defenses now having a read on him and have adjusted and forced him to play a weakness ... but why are you so afraid to let him work through that and counter that by making our own adjustments and becoming more familiar with what defenses are forcing him to do and get an opportunity to over-come it?

Did the NFL defenses give up and all go to their second stringers when DA had the upper hand on them last season?

Four years my ass ... the kid was handed the keys last year in week #2 and has had one off-season as the token starter. He's what made Joe Thomas the legend he was his rookie year, he's who made Braylon a household name, who distributed the ball to Winslow to tie Ozzie Newsomes record. Anderson is that guy who finishes in the top-20, as in 5th in TD's, 9th-in yards, 8th-attempts & 9th in completions, 3rd in pass completitons over 20+ yards all last season ... He's been there, something no one else in this organization has even remotely come close to in 20+ years. Funny, but no one is talking much about Joe Thomas and our O-line this season. Jamal Lewis sure ain't walking in from the one yardline behind this line. Winlsow being called everything but the best TE in football, infact he's hasn't even gotten the label of best TE on the Browns one year removed, and Braylon drops everything but his bad concentration habits. DA was the key last year and he's trying to carry these same players again this year. Ever get the thought that maybe Chud's first year schemes in play calling have been figured out too? That Braylon's had adjustments to stop him, that perhaps Winslow is being more double teamed in Joe J's absense? That more film is available on Joe Thomas too? More film on Josh Cribbs return game? More film on uses for Jerome Harrison? Why does it always have to be all about DA?

He's had errant passes, He's been picked, he's had trouble still with the short game even though focus was put into that area of need all off-season, his release point on short passes is too low - causing blocked passes ... too many blocked passes. All the while he isn't even throwing the ball deep, which was his biggest asset in 2007. I know all of that ... I still like the kid, I've seen him do what I didn't see all them other hill-jacks we've paraded out there since 1999 do.

I'll go with the guy who's been there before, even if it's only been half the time. He's still young, I believe he will get better and more consistient. I'm not ready to see what Brady Couch can do ... I really could care less. If he don't want to stick around and wait his turn, that's his freaking problem, he's collected over $5-mil this season so boo-f'ing-hoo. He's waited 20 games, we've all waited nine years (if not a lifetime). If that attitude makes me a "Non true fan" then so-be-it.

When baby Quinn is born, give his a kiss on his soft little noggin for me. Congrats to you and your girl.

I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone.

Good point, and we could go tit-for-tat on every 'excuse' as to why the passing game, and at times the running game, and/or protection, and over-all execution, and play calling of the offense has been inconsistient at best. But you touched on a very legit point about defenses now having a read on him and have adjusted and forced him to play a weakness ... but why are you so afraid to let him work through that and counter that by making our own adjustments and becoming more familiar with what defenses are forcing him to do and get an opportunity to over-come it?

Did the NFL defenses give up and all go to their second stringers when DA had the upper hand on them last season?

Four years my ass ... the kid was handed the keys last year in week #2 and has had one off-season as the token starter. He's what made Joe Thomas the legend he was his rookie year, he's who made Braylon a household name, who distributed the ball to Winslow to tie Ozzie Newsomes record. Anderson is that guy who finishes in the top-20, as in 5th in TD's, 9th-in yards, 8th-attempts & 9th in completions, 3rd in pass completitons over 20+ yards all last season ... He's been there, something no one else in this organization has even remotely come close to in 20+ years. Funny, but no one is talking much about Joe Thomas and our O-line this season. Jamal Lewis sure ain't walking in from the one yardline behind this line. Winlsow being called everything but the best TE in football, infact he's hasn't even gotten the label of best TE on the Browns one year removed, and Braylon drops everything but his bad concentration habits. DA was the key last year and he's trying to carry these same players again this year. Ever get the thought that maybe Chud's first year schemes in play calling have been figured out too? That Braylon's had adjustments to stop him, that perhaps Winslow is being more double teamed in Joe J's absense? That more film is available on Joe Thomas too? More film on Josh Cribbs return game? More film on uses for Jerome Harrison? Why does it always have to be all about DA?

He's had errant passes, He's been picked, he's had trouble still with the short game even though focus was put into that area of need all off-season, his release point on short passes is too low - causing blocked passes ... too many blocked passes. All the while he isn't even throwing the ball deep, which was his biggest asset in 2007. I know all of that ... I still like the kid, I've seen him do what I didn't see all them other hill-jacks we've paraded out there since 1999 do.

I'll go with the guy who's been there before, even if it's only been half the time. He's still young, I believe he will get better and more consistient. I'm not ready to see what Brady Couch can do ... I really could care less. If he don't want to stick around and wait his turn, that's his freaking problem, he's collected over $5-mil this season so boo-f'ing-hoo. He's waited 20 games, we've all waited nine years (if not a lifetime). If that attitude makes me a "Non true fan" then so-be-it.

When baby Quinn is born, give his a kiss on his soft little noggin for me. Congrats to you and your girl.

Keep playing a QB that cost the team wins. Good call. I don't care who the back up is either. Da is nothing more than a good back up in this league. Great job againist pitt,balt, and wash.

Guest ATENEARS
Overthrowing Ali in the end zone when there is not a soul around him?

Twice inside the red zone and he can't hit open receivers.

Didn't Anderson stick a TD pass into Stallworths bread basket on one drive and Jamal Lewis take in another?

How did we get into those scoring positions again?

I think that the reason that the Browns stick with DA is simple. At this time he gives them the best chance to win. That means at this time he is better suited to start than the backup. For better or worse he is the Browns best option. The backup might intrigue the fans but apparantly does not intrigue the coaches enough to start him.

This is the NFL and the head coaches head is on the line every year. You play to win and to win now. Very few if any organization have the patience with coaches that the Steelers have. What have they had 3 coaches in 30 years?

The other reason that DA is prolly starting is games like the Giants game. When as Steve Young put it, when DA plays like that he is a TOP 5 QB in this league. That means he has potential, and it was not against a weak team. YES DA needs more consitency. Drive you crazy that he can play like he did in the giants game and then play like he did against Washington (though didn't he play better in the fourth trying to put them in position to win?).

What you want to see out of DA is about 5 out of 10 games like he had against the giants (not 1 out of 10), 3 out of 10 like against Jacksonville and only 2 out of 10 subpar games (he has had 4 or 5 this year). He is young and needs to show improvement and more consitency. He has not showed this as of yet but he keeps showing it when you least expect.

People say DA can't handle pressure, well to tell you the truth I think you should tell him his job is on the line every week. Because it seems when his job is on the line he plays well. Last year 0 wins VS playoff teams, this year 2 wins vs playoff teams. He can play, he just needs to be more consitenant so that you know what you are going to get.

Guest ATENEARS
All I know is last year, when he was playing good, we needed a win in crunch time against the bengals and DA played a crap game. If you want to win championships you have to step up when the pressure is on, DA crumpled.

Ok, he went 10-5 instead on 11-4 ... seems to me that you have to win ten games in order to be called a choker.

He's 13-9 since being handed the team in week #2. He hasn't been injured, he suits up every game, and 13-9 is about the equivilent of finishing a complete season 10-6 or 9-7 ... that's improvement from before he took over folks.

I apologize for pointing this out to you all ... I obvioiusly ain't a 'true fan', where should I turn in my Browns Backer card?

The games he has lost, he has lost them big, making horrible throws and bad decisions. Do you really want to finally make it to the playoffs and have a choke artist under center? I dont know about you but to me that Cinci game told alot about how DA is going to and does handle pressure. You need the QB that wants the ball in the last 2 min to win the game not the guy throwing the pick. I hope Im wrong about DA but we have seen alot of evidance of what to expect. We win these next 2 games and all will be forgoten and this debate will be for nought, if he goes out and chokes well we get to say what we have been saying for years "Next Year"

You are going to call a QB a choke artist because of a bad game in his first real full time season? If that is the case almost every QB in the league is a choke artist. Of course many of those first year starting QBs (not first year in league) did keep playing and ended up not being choke artists. I know DA choked against cincy, but he does have a number of come from behind games and this is really only his second season of significant playing time.

It just seems to me that every time DAs job is on the line he seems to play well. So keep him on edge and make him feel BQ press him. Make him perform or bench him.

Just seems that there must be a reason that the coaching staff is sticking with DA and not going with BQ. Maybe they feel DA has more upside? I know people on the board don't but we don't make the decisions. I guess I have to defer to the people that see them both play everyday. Because if it was me I would have started BQ against the Bengals.

Here is too hoping the people that get paid to make football decisions know more than we do.

I don’t think you should waste your time hoping that the people that make the decision know what they are doing. It’s a fact that they know more then any poster on this board. If they thought for a minute that BQ the Doamer was better, he would be playing. He’s not, so he isn’t. When he’s better he will play. The lowest man on the totem pole always thinks the guy at the top of the pole is an idiot. Posters bitch and moan (that’s what boards are for) but their opinions are generally worth what they are getting paid for their posts. Which is uhhhh,,, nothing. So, keep the faith and root, root, root for the home team. The Browns will get better and then what will you have to complain about. I doubt we will be in the big one this year, but we will in a few more years. And DA will be the one that gets us there. But, like most of you, I could be wrong.

The other reason that DA is prolly starting is games like the Giants game. When as Steve Young put it, when DA plays like that he is a TOP 5 QB in this league.

By Steve Youngs' logic, Thigpen after this week is also a Top 5 QB in this league. icon_rolleyes.gif

Really, I never heard Steve say that. I am not saying DA is a top 5 QB obviously. I am saying that he shows the ability to be but only if he becomes much more consistant. But really the bottom line is that the coaches are around these players everyday and it seems that they believe that DA is the QB that gives the Browns the best chance to win right now.

Guest 88fingerslewy

I'll admit I was one of the guys wanting to see DA sit. But when you think about it, the coaches see the QB's every day, every day. Like someone else here said, we don't have ALL the info.

The one guy I know who hasn't helped DA's cause at all is BE. If he makes that catch against Dallas when he split the DB's. Not only a different complection to that game but definitely changes the whole start of the season. That play made me almost puke. WR's might short arm a pass over the middle but BE short-arms a catch with nothing but the endzone ahead of him. If anyone needs to be consistant it's our so-called "Marquis" reciever.

Archived