THE BROWNS BOARD

DA @ 31st in NFL, over Thigpen, Griese, and Fitzpatrick...

OconRecon

I'll admit I was one of the guys wanting to see DA sit. But when you think about it, the coaches see the QB's every day, every day. Like someone else here said, we don't have ALL the info.

You mean the same coaches who picked Frye as the starting QB last season and ended up starting DA by default. Yeah, I put 100% faith in them. icon_rolleyes.gif Face it, Derek Anderson is fools gold. I thought he sucked last year, and then eventually as the season progressed, maybe at the 6th game or so, I was starting to come around and found myself doubting my football knowledge, and my eyes, as DA seemed to be getting it done. Then the second half of the season took place and I realized I should always trust myself. I was fooled, for a while ....but I won't continue to be a fool, and be satisfied with the pure shit I see on the field each week. We need a real pro QB, and if it's not Quinn, then Savage should be shot for not trading him away when his asking price would be the highest. Two 1st round picks we were offered for Quinn. You couldn't get a 4th round out of DA. Savage seems to be making the same mistakes ....buy low, sell high Phil ...how hard is it? You have had two opportunities to get amazing value out of one player, and you have passed both times.

Im not calling the guy a choke artist, I'm saying he has the potential of being one and the evidence shows that. We dont know everything that goes on during practice but during games, what really matters, we see everything and if he feels any pressure he makes bad decisions. I dont care how good your line is, your going to face teams with good pressure and you have to be able to deal with it. He has had a 1 1/2 years starting and the last couple games seems to have turned a corner, except for washington, one game removed, like I said these next two games will show us what he is about. At some point though you have to say enough is enough. I would have said it about week 3 this year. The coaches feel week 10 is the number, I have no faith in this coaching staff but hey your right, they get paid and I dont. So we shall see.

So... If i get this right.... this means that their are several people on this board that are OK with starting a QB that wins when their is no pressure and chokes when their is pressure?.... He sucked in the second half because their was alot of pressure on him to keep us in it. He is great when we have no expectations of him. But if you put him in a possision where we need to win a game to make it to the playoffs... he throws 5 picks... icon_lol.gif

It seems like a no brainer to me. we need a QB that can stay poised under pressure! icon_e_surprised.gif

Give BQ The Ball and lets see if He is our man!

I think what EVERYONE is forgetting is that not 1 fan DRAFTED Quinn. Savage did that the last time I checked. And when you desperately trade away 2 picks to get a first round QB - what's the message? You can't blame the FANS when the majority of games our passing game underachieves under the alternative to that solution.

While we're being positive about the QB - I don't see anyone sticking up for the GOOD playcalling, STs coaching that showed me 1 blocked FG and one caused fumble recovery in FG position. Our defense dominated - more bad coaching? Our oline and dline took over that game and if these guys are poorly coached - is that possible? How many penalties did we have? I KNOW it's an exception BUT maybe we're turnign the corner. Maybe????

I'm not saying we ALWAYS get coaching like we saw last Sunday BUT they looked pretty good or we don't win where not too many teams have won. I always put the offsides and motions on the players themselves because against Cincy we had 2 dlinemen accounting for 5 offsides when they line up and have been instructed to go on ball movement since they were 8 years old. False starts is just poor concentration and lack of poise. Sometimes it reflects leadership if people aren't confident.

All this said, what more can ANYONE say that hasn't already said about games we wished they'd salvage with a relief pitcher Savage so desperately sought after on draft day. It's all been said 1000 different ways. Until then, let's hope we see the DA that has played better vrs the Giants, Jax and parts of Cincy games. Let's hope the coaching ENABLES better play.

I'm so damn sick of searching for a NEW Head Coach and NEW QB myself. If we can get DA to mean something better than Dumb Ass - we're going to win more games like last Sunday.

- Tom F. (Do you think I LIKE calling the starting QB of my favorite team Dumb Ass?)

Guest ATENEARS
So... If i get this right.... this means that their are several people on this board that are OK with starting a QB that wins when their is no pressure and chokes when their is pressure?.... He sucked in the second half because their was alot of pressure on him to keep us in it. He is great when we have no expectations of him. But if you put him in a possision where we need to win a game to make it to the playoffs... he throws 5 picks... icon_lol.gif

It seems like a no brainer to me. we need a QB that can stay poised under pressure! icon_e_surprised.gif

Give BQ The Ball and lets see if He is our man!

There are games where there are comfortly no expectations or pressure? really?

Here's the point you all miss ... 'we got into a position for games to matter'.

The guys he's replaced, the QB's who he is coming in on the heels of, could win 'a' game, let alone one with no expectations or those easy 8-10 games on the schedule with no pressure (searching for smiley with rolling eyes ... oh, here it is icon_rolleyes.gif )

Then we pan to Brady Quinn ... who must be famous for winning all those big games to vault his college team into the National Championship games, but not just get there but win it all. (or was that AJ Hawk?)

Ya gotta walk before you can run. Last year we walked to the tune of 10-wins, this year we walked all over the Super Bowl Champs. Derek Anderson may have been bad in 11 of the 22 straight games he's started since week 2 of last season ... but it is BY FAR the best this team has looked in any stretch since returning in 1999.

Doesn't mean we couldn't be better without him (doesn't mean we wouldn't be worse either).

Listen Ate....I don't think ANYONE is sure enough about BQ to say he is a DEFINITE UPGRADE...but the track record with DA shows one constant....INCONSISTENCY!!! All any of us are wondering is "CAN BQ BRING US CONSISTENT GOOD QB PLAY?"

Now, I agree NOW is not the time to find out. DA seems to have gotten the turnover thing under wraps (3 straight games without an INT)....but he has done it by holding the ball longer (increased sacks and 7 fumbles in 7 games). If he can increase his accuracy (say 60%) on top of that I will take the additional sacks. But he needs to prove that he can have MORE THAN ONE GOOD GAME IN A ROW!!!

If not, we WILL be seeing BQ before the end of the season. Just simple facts.

I think all 3 of our QBs could have 3 wins right now. Everybody beats Cincy with or without decent QBing so let's not hand DA extra credit for that. We've really had 2 out of 7 games where we've played to the 2008 expectations on offense.

I'll keep rooting for pleasant surprises like the Giants game but I feel like we're being held hostage because we had 12 opponents in 2007 that lost a minimum of 8 games.

Let's just hope in the Ratbird rematch the rookie isn't the best QB in the matchup again. If we lose this game we're 1-3 in the AFC North. If we're playing to the level we should be playing to - we shouldn't finish O-For-Flacco or throw more TD passes to the Ratbird D than the fellers wearing our colors.

- Tom F.

And after today's Ravens game, he's still 31st.

As I've said, I get his isn't all his fault. BE's drops are frustrating. But the Browns are now 3 and 5.

Instead of waiting for DA to get hurt or have a 5 INT game, maybe the coaches should think more positively and do something to give this team a spark. Like put in the first round draft choice at quarterback.

• 11 months later...
Guest Masters
The real explanation is that DA is just better than BQ. If you think there is any other reason he is playing, and especially if you think that any NFL team in NFL history has ever considered starting a lesser player at any position just to "showcase" that player in hopes for a little extra trade value, then you have a load of shit in your pants.

More classy

Archived