THE BROWNS BOARD

There Will Be Better Days

shepwrite

We aren't that bad, Quinn included. The offensive play calling and Quinn himself were shaky much of the game, but I saw what could be in the last three possessions, including a drop on a big play by Edwards, two drops by Royal, and a drop by Furrey... prior to a really nice last drive, even if it was garbage time. Quinn seemed looser, which is understandable given only a handful of passes in the first half.

Overall, the offense never seemed to find any rhythm. I was surprised that we didn't try to run a short pass offense from under center, but we never did. We ran on 2nd and long way more than I'd like.

Yes, the numbers are deceptive to the positive side (21 of 35 for 205 and 1/1) because of the last drive. But you also have to add in the TD pass taken off the board and the four drops on two of the last three drives. The two deep balls thrown out of bounds were not plays left on the field because both receivers were well covered.

The interception was ugly. No idea if it was a missed route, as Asshole suggested.

Anyway, I'm always among the first to throw a QB under the bus (probably too quickly), but I think we should wait at least 4-6 more weeks before judging too harshly. I think he's gonna be good.

Our offense (lack of) today was due to basic mistakes and miscommunication.

Mack was snapping high the entire 1st quarter.

We dropped countless passes.

Braylon definitely ran the wrong route on that INT, whether it was BQ or BE screw up, its still a miscommunication we can't have, and we had a ton of them.

The good news is, these problems are things that can be fixed.

Also, our defense was playing great for most of the game. OUR OFFENSE HAS TO STAY ON THE FIELD LONGER.

Your defense is only as good as your time of possession.

Today was brutal to watch. It's been a kick-in-the-nuts football weekend for me, so I sure as hell hope there will be better days. Quinn did not play well. Period. That said - it's only one game. He's going to get the whole year to prove he can be the guy. We'll see.

Shep,cmon,

Your giving Quinn way to much of a pass here,the piss poor interception and letting the ball drop out of your own hand untouched for a fumble were just ugly to witness and DA would have been reamed for it and you know it,as AZ said im not giving Quinn a pass for something we wouldnt rip DA up for.

The kid may pan out first game jitters,whatever but today was really ugly and he only has one place to go after todays performance.

I agree...Quinn was horrible. The entire offense was horrible with the exception of Lewis. The best part about Lewis was the few people in the tavern bitching about running the ball when Lewis had at the time, better numbers than Peterson.

We will know by the end of the season what direction this offense needs to go....it's either Quinn or it's a new QB. We know that Anderson isn't the answer and we will know by the mid point of the season whether or not it's Quinn.

I thought the defense played well..much improved over last season.

This game was not as bad as I thought it would be.. I expected us to get thrashed from the opening kick.. The vikings being a superior team across the board slowly wore us down and imposed their will on us so that midway of the 3rd quarter they had us right in the palm of their hand.. We just are not on their level.. This game does give me optimism for future games.. They need better conditioning which improves on all teams as the season wears on.. Some good things to build on IMO

I'm with EJ on this one...I expected this game to be ugly early against a team with a good D and a really good running game. This wasn't against a team that is going nowhere this season, it was a team that alot of people believe to be candidates for representing the NFC in the championship game.

I'm sure it had to mess with Quinn to get pulled in favor of the 'WildDawg' formation three times in the first half, especially the two on the doorstep. If he had stayed in for those two snaps and we had scored that would have been a huge boost in his confidence, whether it was a run or pass. Mangini took that out of his hands, I was pretty disappointed. How do you get comfortable under those circumstances?

I saw what could be in the last three possessions, including a drop on a big play by Edwards, two drops by Royal, and a drop by Furrey... prior to a really nice last drive, even if it was garbage time. Quinn seemed looser, which is understandable given only a handful of passes in the first half.

yeah he looked much better when the other team quit playing.

however I've never seen a guy run 20 consecutive shotgun snaps against a prevent defense and no pass rush, and then throw dump offs every single pass.

Quinn actually looked just like the "bad Anderson" today. You can't make excuses for him today. He may improve but as of today he looks like shit. If Anderson was the starter today.... you would not be so kind. Just saying......call it like it was.......Quinn sucked.

Hey newbie, word of advice, nobody is impressed with grammar police. In fact we regard your type as complete douchebags.

Carry on...

Well person with no life. I don't critique grammar other than when it is used in the same post as a stupid comment.

I regard morons as what they are...morons. And anyone who didn't realize that INT was the result of a mis-run route is a moron or has no clue about football.

Carry on.

Oh yes, the "you have no life" comment. The tried and true technique of somebody who got his ass handed to em.

Sit down newbie, you aren't bringing anything to the table...

My ass handed to me? I called someone out for a stupid post, and then added that they couldn't even use correct English while posting something stupid. You called me a douchebag. Wow I got my ass handed to me so hard.

I'm sure it had to mess with Quinn to get pulled in favor of the 'WildDawg' formation three times in the first half, especially the two on the doorstep. If he had stayed in for those two snaps and we had scored that would have been a huge boost in his confidence, whether it was a run or pass. Mangini took that out of his hands, I was pretty disappointed. How do you get comfortable under those circumstances?

What pisses me off about this annoying WildDawg offense.... it's crap in my opinion until you show you are capable of throwing from it. IF you are going to run it on the goal line then at least design it so Cribbs is sprinting for the corner, not trying to find a hole on a stacked line of scrimmage. Bullshit.

I really thought Quinn looked different the last three drives, with only drops really stopping him. He threw the ball very well, including the deep ball to Braylon.

He looked better because the Vikings D eased up and played prevent defense because they were 2 scores ahead and it was the end of the game.

Yuck, Tough day.

Totally surprised that Lumberg isn't driving the Mike Florio Blow Job Bus for bringing "Garo Yepremian" back as a household name - especially when referring to Quinn.

I guess we got our answer about splitting the reps to keep the starting QB a secret. Some chemistry would have been nice today. BE 1 catch today? Come on, buddy. Throwing less than 10 passes in the 1st half? Holy hell.

Peterson ran so much on us that he had to take a breather in the 3rd quarter. Seriously.

Lets see what a couple more games brings.

yea tough day. give them some cred for going into the half with a 3 point lead. But too many inside handoffs run from such a tight formation in the first half. It was great to see JLew time his shots

through the holes, and get some good gains. Not so for the rook JDavis. Quinn should get better....hopefully..jmho..

I really thought Quinn looked different the last three drives, with only drops really stopping him. He threw the ball very well, including the deep ball to Braylon. I'm not giving him a free pass... I'm just not honestly all that worried about him.

Yet.

Were there three drives after the long AP run? Wow. We (about 60,000 people) missed a lot of football.

I predicted we'd throw at least 40 times... and we threw 8 in the first half. I think we should've come out with Furrey in the slot and throwing quick hitters... but I'm not the coach.

Yeah as soon as our potential outside running threat was gone (yesterday afternoon with Davis trip to the ER). I knew it was going to be a long day. Hoping Harrison was good to go, but apparently not. You can't run inside on the Vikes, Tenn, Balt or Pukepile. Not all day at least. J-Lew at this point in his career is built for 1-2 yard smashing runs, and then DB punishing screens. His hands are sick, why did we wait so long to throw a screen pass?

NFL Expansion Quick History:

Carolina Panthers NFL playing history begins 1995.....1996 NFC West Division Champs

Jacksonville Jags NFL playing history begins 1995....plays in 1996 AFC championship game....

Facts that destroy the myth that it takes significant time for teams to evolve into champs...the future is NOW....the players and coaching technicians are available NOW.....the excuses amd explanations for a

NON IMPROVING, INFERIOR team have become laughable.....team ownership needs to sell this franchise with all possible urgency if they care anything at all about the city of Cleveland and it's long suffering fans....

I wont be convinced of better days until I see this offensive line evolution and how that affects the offensive schemes...... I dont care if its quinn or DA if we dont have a consistent rush mixed with screen plays to keep the defense honest.... we are screwed. The defense got worn down in the third, the offense could not sustain a drive....

Yes Quinn sucked a big one today but it is only one game, IF he keeps this same pattern of dumps offs we are screwed. That pass interference call with BE was HORRIBLY UNDERTHROWN....... quinn's arm strength is in question. IF he cant threaten consistently for more than 15 yards we are screwed offensively because the rush wont work either....

That right side of the line is suspect to me.

I am excited about a Wimbley reemergence however and I like the aggressive stance of the defense..... Honestly the defense is showing signs of progress while the offense which was once electric looks terrible..... When it was electric it was DA at the helm like it or not that is the truth.

ok inspecta that ball was not in the endzone and if you have the game recorded take a good look at Braylon right arm and hand pulling on the DB not the other way around.... The ball was not ahead of BE but behind him and low.... BE was in full stride

Quinn does not have the same arm strength that ball was underthrown imho... I dont care that BE might have gotten away with one or that DB nearly after being turned still almost deflected or intercepted that ball.... take a good look at that play. I was yelling pass interference also and thought it was a td but BE had to dig for it... than I saw the replay.

I dont give a crap about Quinn efficient tendancies if it wins but in the NFL I dont think what he has shown is going to fly..... He has to challenge consistently with strength middle to long distance to keep defenses from stacking up short on us.

either way we will see in the next few games..... when he faces the ravens we will see if this is a consistent pattern.

Quinn actually looked just like the "bad Anderson" today. You can't make excuses for him today. He may improve but as of today he looks like shit. If Anderson was the starter today.... you would not be so kind. Just saying......call it like it was.......Quinn sucked.

We wouldn't be kind because we all xxxxing hate Derek Anderson and love Brady Quinn because he is from Ohio, he's 'pretty', and he was a first round pick.

Didn't you know that?

Quinn looked AWESOME TODAY. No one could hold a candle to his awesomeness. Don't ever insult him. Ever.

Thanks Legacy. They wouldn't show that play again at the Stadium, and we were trying to remember the FG kicker's name. We were at the opposite end of the Stadium. Was it really that bad?

Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing. I had the same brain fart when watching it, then got the PFT tweet that had Yepremian's name associating it. Ugliness.

The only positive from the play is that I'm 100% positive Lumbag didn't watch the game, because after he toweled off he would have been in here with a song and dance to point it out to all of the "homos."

I'm still shaking my head at our lack of screen passes.

*edit*

It's ok though. Next week he'll be facing off against Kyle "Tip Drill" Orton. And he had a better night than Cutler is having so far.

I absolutely hate Quinn's overpowering tendency to check down to the 3yd receiver on almost every drop back. His passes "down field" (for Brady at least) look forced, late and off target. I'm all for "taking what the D is giving", but sooner or later, you have to take off the pantyhose and xxxx. I see the same things in Quinn that I saw in Couch.

Sanchez, Kosar, Flaco, Ryan ect, ect, were/are all rookies too, but they have something that Quinn is missing. Some have it, and some never find it, but in two years we will be talking about our new QB, and his initials aren't BQ or DA.

Archived