THE BROWNS BOARD

There Will Be Better Days

shepwrite

I thought the D looked damn good in the first half.

O line did a pretty good job against a tough Viking front.

Jamal was better than I thought.

Eliminate the drops, false start type of flags, and a few miscommunications and it wasn't all that bad.

I think the play calling will get better, Quinn's communication will only improve with his receivers, and the motion penalties will lessen.

I do think Mangini's secret QB think was a little silly and would have rather had Quinn take all of the snaps for the last few weeks.

------

The almighty Cutler has 3 picks and 2 points in the fist half. It could have been worse.

I thought the D looked damn good in the first half.

O line did a pretty good job against a tough Viking front.

Jamal was better than I thought.

Eliminate the drops, false start type of flags, and a few miscommunications and it wasn't all that bad.

I think the play calling will get better, Quinn's communication will only improve with his receivers, and the motion penalties will lessen.

I do think Mangini's secret QB think was a little silly and would have rather had Quinn take all of the snaps for the last few weeks.

------

The almighty Cutler has 3 picks and 2 points in the fist half. It could have been worse.

The D was awesome for 2 quarters and then went to plain vanilla and thats unacceptable..

The right side and center of the o-line caved in like a mineshaft to dynamite

Jamal was impressive still has life..

Penalties need to be reduced..timing will get better with time and practice however as long as that offensive scheme is in place without being modified its not going to matter much...

The coaching staff needs to have and give BQ more playcalling options that package is extremely basic/limited and easy to defend..

The qb thingy is almost as goofy as the offensive package and the right side of the o-line..

DA is a far better qb than cutler and bq is going to find out just like da did that cleveland lacks an innovative offensive system and fast responsive WRs..we choose big bad blocking WRs over shifty fast and then wonder why theres no seperation or downfield blocking help...cleveland assasinates 2 more QBs.... next victim...to be announced..

That pass interference call with BE was HORRIBLY UNDERTHROWN....... quinn's arm strength is in question. IF he cant threaten consistently for more than 15 yards we are screwed offensively because the rush wont work either....

When it was electric it was DA at the helm like it or not that is the truth.

First of all, what in the flying fcuk are you smoking this time? He was knocked out of bounds, ran back in bounds to catch up to the pass he barely caught. If he wasn't held back that is right on target. Why do you think he was held. Quinn sucked but you obvioulsy cannot see shit without your myopic DA glasses.

And DA was electric? LOL. Yeah, against the piss poor teams. Against a Bal or Pit he sucked, and he would have sucked against equally good Minn. He'd have panicked and tossed INT's series after series. Electric my ass - more like epileptic.

DA had 25 games to suck. I am willing to give Quinn this season, and if he really does not get it, shitcan his ass. But DA has already shit his bed enough.

Good Lord, what's with the angst on the board tonight? It's like a Nirvana concert, circa 1991 in here.

People, calm the f*$& down. We got beat by Minnesota's D and Adrian Petersen today. Um, in case you didn't notice, we ain't the first, and we won't be the last.

Yeah, the offense was bad today. Yeah, Quinn was bad today.

WTF were you angsty types expecting? First game of a whole new coaching staff, first game for a new starter, rookie center, old and bad right side of the o-line, brand new starter at QB, etc. You expected 40 points today?

Quinn was bad but the play-calling was down right horrific. There is such a thing as outsmarting yourself and we saw it today.

But besides all that, the game was quite literally lost when Mangini/Daboll tried to get tricky on the 3rd-and-goal at the less-than-1 after the called-back TD. Taking Quinn off the field and trying to get cute with the WildDawg there was just nuts and spoke volumes to me about the lack of confidence they had in the entire O, from the line, to Lewis, to Quinn, to Edwards.

In my world, that would have been 4-down territory, only down 10-3, at home, in the 2nd quarter. I would have pounded Lewis once and then tried to sneak it in and failing that, I would have told my D to keep 'em down there and get the damn ball back.

Instead, Mangini played it RAC-like and kicked a pointless and deflating field goal. That to me was the whole game, 3rd quarter be damned. We tie it up there or at least fail like men and show confidence in the D and it's a different ballgame, I'm convinced. Kicking it there showed no confidence whatsoever in the O and they played like it after that.

Bottom line: you can't talk a big game all off-season as the ball-busting coach and then make spineless decisions on Sunday. Mangini needs to sack up and show his team he believes in them or it's gonna be a LONG ass season.

But besides all that, the game was quite literally lost when Mangini/Daboll tried to get tricky on the 3rd-and-goal at the less-than-1 after the called-back TD. Taking Quinn off the field and trying to get cute with the WildDawg there was just nuts and spoke volumes to me about the lack of confidence they had in the entire O, from the line, to Lewis, to Quinn, to Edwards.

In my world, that would have been 4-down territory, only down 10-3, at home, in the 2nd quarter. I would have pounded Lewis once and then tried to sneak it in and failing that, I would have told my D to keep 'em down there and get the damn ball back.

Instead, Mangini played it RAC-like and kicked a pointless and deflating field goal. That to me was the whole game, 3rd quarter be damned. We tie it up there or at least fail like men and show confidence in the D and it's a different ballgame, I'm convinced. Kicking it there showed no confidence whatsoever in the O and they played like it after that.

Bottom line: you can't talk a big game all off-season as the ball-busting coach and then make spineless decisions on Sunday. Mangini needs to sack up and show his team he believes in them or it's gonna be a LONG ass season.

Great point, juke.

Well person with no life. I don't critique grammar other than when it is used in the same post as a stupid comment.

I regard morons as what they are...morons. And anyone who didn't realize that INT was the result of a mis-run route is a moron or has no clue about football.

Carry on.

There should be a comma after "well person with no life." Looks like you are the moron.

Mangini is a conservative coach. We better get used to it. Rob Ryan had our defense being aggressive and with the players we had in our D, I say we overachieved in the first half before tiredness got to us in the second half. Having said that, Brian Daboll's offensive playcalling this game was really disappointing.

Good Lord, what's with the angst on the board tonight? It's like a Nirvana concert, circa 1991 in here.

People, calm the f*$& down. We got beat by Minnesota's D and Adrian Petersen today. Um, in case you didn't notice, we ain't the first, and we won't be the last.

Yeah, the offense was bad today. Yeah, Quinn was bad today.

WTF were you angsty types expecting? First game of a whole new coaching staff, first game for a new starter, rookie center, old and bad right side of the o-line, brand new starter at QB, etc. You expected 40 points today?

Quinn was bad but the play-calling was down right horrific. There is such a thing as outsmarting yourself and we saw it today.

I couldn't agree more. I think every one of us thought to ourselves "really, WildDawg twice on the goal line?". Even if it had worked, I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea.

Much of what went wrong looked like jitters. A few passes behind receivers, some miscommunication, lack of rhythym false start penalties.

We just looked like an offense who wasn't tuned up and a rusty QB with minimal work (comparred to other starters) with the first unit.

I saw what could be in the last three possessions, including a drop on a big play by Edwards, two drops by Royal, and a drop by Furrey... prior to a really nice last drive, even if it was garbage time. Quinn seemed looser, which is understandable given only a handful of passes in the first half.

when they're down by 3 TDs, there's 5 mins left, and 60,000 people have gone home.......then this dink n dunk thing really gets on track.

it looked like the dink n dunk.

Quinn, for as crappy as he looked, came out ranked 20th in the league for week one against the #1 D line in the biz. That includes Braylon in '08 form, going the wrong direction, stepping out of bounds prior to catching TD's, etc. (not a knock on Braylon, but sometimes he is handed a can of bad carma before the game).

So hey, with a horrible dink-and-dunk performance, Quinn is up 12 spots from last year's starter! WhoooHoooo!! ;)

Stay around buddy. Are the d's, n's and k's wearing out on your keyboard yet? I can't even read the I's, N's, and T's on mine.

Quinn, for as crappy as he looked, came out ranked 20th in the league for week one against the #1 D line in the biz.

HA! As I said, that dink n dunk is lethal after the stadium empties and they're down by 21.

The stat padding at the end of the game won't sugar coat it for anybody outside of BQ Nation.

Guest ATENEARS
it looked like the dink n dunk.

Don't be so nice, it was dink-n-dunk only using half the field. I would expect any ex-Division III QB to be able to walk on the field with a weeks worth of snaps and play at that caliber.

His biceps looked great though.

vegas/inspecta do you have the game recorded? take a good look at that braylon pass interference and "being knocked" out of bounds.... take a look at his right arm when the db had his head turned toward the ball and than watch him reach BEHIND AND LOW to dig the ball off the ground.....

I thought it was pass interference at first until the slow motion and me rewinding the play wondering if he stepped out of bounds.... The db actually was looking and going for the ball with BRAYLON grabbing the db and turning him..... The DB was in a better position for the ball than BE... It is what it is a underthrown ball that Braylon grabbed the db.... I dont care really because we got the call for pass interference.

Quinn is not a gun slinger and does not have the mindset or the tools to do that... I dont care as long as we are competitive and win how he manages the game. WE got crushed and since DA has been benched we have been anemic on offense. IF BQ does not make defenses stretch we will stay anemic and screwed and lose more games plain and simple. This is only one game versus a quality defense something BQ did not see in his limited starts. We will see his value over at least 6-8 games, I dont want him benched but hope to see some sort of progression because he is not a rookie.

Personally I have never liked his pick from college which has been well noted on this board because I thought th e"it" factor was bs and the "pro style ready" offense was marketing BS and that Weis and ND were overrated meaning Quinn was overrated. Derek every brady fan hates Anderson beat quinn in a bowl game in college and Quinn and company did not win in bowl games in college either.

I have taken flak for my skepticism of first round draft picks and my homerism for ohio state along with my dislike for what I think a overrated ND/Weis program. Nothing has changed and Brady still does not look to be a NFL caliber of qb but he does have the starting job FOR NOW.

We will see after the Ravens game(brady should do better against a weak defense in Denver) IF brady is progressing.

Look how often a RB or QB get the bulk of their stats from just a couple drives. It's just the nature of the game, you take the long drives whenever you can get them.

If Peyton Manning averaged, and never exceeded, 30 yards per drive how many points would they score? Even the great ones get big hunks of their stats on 1 or 2 great drives.

Peterson broke a long run in which he seriously padded his stats, does that mean he did not earn his yards?

HA! As I said, that dink n dunk is lethal after the stadium empties and they're down by 21.

The stat padding at the end of the game won't sugar coat it for anybody outside of BQ Nation.

I thought we looked pretty close to doing great things in several different areas. Like I said... there will be better days.

he looked exactly like the dude who got yanked vs the Texans. fixed finger and all.

still can't throw deep. still can't find a wide receiver if he had an airport beacon light on his helmet.

his next QB battle may be with Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye for 3rd stringer duties with the Raiders.

he looked exactly like the dude who got yanked vs the Texans. fixed finger and all.

still can't throw deep. still can't find a wide receiver if he had an airport beacon light on his helmet.

his next QB battle may be with Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye for 3rd stringer duties with the Raiders.

If that is Quinns next battle...then Anderson's next battle will be with Jeff George for 2nd string duties for the Las Vegas Giraffes or whatever they're called in the UFL.

You realize that the guy you keep bashing on won the starting QB job in the preseason over your hero Anderson right? Anderson did absolutely nothing in the preseason games to deserve to start for this team, couple that with the the crappy performance all of last year (save the Giants game) and he doesn't deserve to be the starter on this team. It's time still to see what Quinn can do...he might suck as bad as Anderson but the only way to find that out is by playing him, we've seen enough of the Anderson act to know what we're going to get.

Ha ha, great point, MarkO.

That's what's so funny about Lum's shtick now: every time he bashes Quinn, he's bashing DA by default because Quinn is the guy who took DA's job away, fair and square.

So if Quinn is as obviously awful as Lum says by his 4th career start, what does that say about his boy DA's abilities with his 25+ starts?

Archived