THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns will kick some serious rear later

calfoxwc

The Browns didn't lose to Detroit Sunday. They lost to the VIKINGS. #1 run defense last year.

Right now, I would rather have Brady Quinn than Jay Cutler on my roster.

Cutler made a lot of very bad decisions.

The upside is, the Browns defense kicked ass most of the day.

So did the left side of the Browns offensive line. Alex Mack vs the huge guys in the middle of the Vikings front four.. hey, shut up with any whining. Mack was outstanding a rookie center in his first start as you could ever have hoped for.

The play calling was great, then not so great... at times...But, knowing you won't have time to go downfield much, the game plan was a first game against superior opponent - cya on offense, and still they were in the game for a long time...

But Edwards lets this team down. He's a big, powerful fleet footed receiver... why was he forced?

out of bounds by a db? Of course, he made a great catch for the TD but no td on the reply. He didn't get

both feet in bounds before he caught the ball.

Leave it to Edwards to have this rule too, work against them.

But then Edwards DID have critical opportunities to make big.... but he dropped the ball every time. I believe the Browns should have traded Edwards...

I still think so. Maybe he'll come through later...

I would question trying to run Lewis wide - he doesn't have that speed anymore. But he showed

he can still be the power back with some nice running the rest of the time. That would be a play for the rb that played great in preseason. But they cut him...

Quinn did make a great play, on the run, and passed for a first down. DA has no chance in hell

of being able to do that, unless he's fast asleep and dreaming. And Quinn, for having a miserable outing, played better than Jay Cutler would have, by ten miles.

And DA would have been sacked about 15 times.

I feel like this was going to be the Browns biggest and toughest game, as far as the opponent goes.

The Browns will be fine, fergit about this first game. The Vikings were a steamroller, and except for Edwards, the Browns gave it everything they could muster in this first game.

New coaches, new system, some new players... and still the Vikings were in for a dog fight.

And yes, the Vikings defense was that outstanding:

Fantasy Football Defense Rankings 2008

Posted by TheMacBros

The San Diego Chargers defense tops the Mac Bros. list of Fantasy Football Defense Rankings.

TEAM Bye Week

1. San Diego Chargers This defense was built for fantasy football. This year's defense is comprised of essentially the same cast that led the NFL in interceptions (30) and ranked in the Top 5 in sacks (42), points allowed per game (17), and defensive TDs (5) in 2007.

2. Minnesota Vikings This squad scored an NFL best 8 TDs last season. The key additions of sack king Jared Allen and star safety Madieu Williams should sure up what was a shaky pass D in 07, and place the Minnesota defense among the elite in fantasy football.

3. Dallas Cowboys ”If you are looking for a balanced defense for your fantasy line up, look no further than the Cowboys. They probably won't lead the league in any fantasy statistical category, but they are sure to be ranked near the top in all of them. The additions of Zach Thomas and Pacman Jones only bolster an already impressive defensive group.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers ”This underrated and overlooked defense led the NFL in pass defense in 2007, only allowed 16 points per game (tied for 1st), and forced a league best 27 fumbles. They also added 16 interceptions (tied for 7th), 33 sacks (tied for 11th), and 2 defensive TDs. With all the key players back for 2008, along with a couple of nice additions in safety Eugene Wilson and rookie CB Aqib Talib, the Bucs defense should return as one of the best in fantasy football.

5. Seattle Seahawks This high-energy defense was also highly underestimated in 07. They ranked near the top of the NFL in every statistical defensive category that matters in fantasy football, and return almost entirely intact. They may be a steal in later rounds on draft day.

The play calling was great, then not so great

I hope you are talking about the Defensive play calling cos I remember seeing flashes of the offense in the field.

But then Edwards DID have critical opportunities to make big....

The braylon edwards bashing is cruel.

Edwards gave as much as any other player on the field. You say Minnesota has a good D and u ask why Edwards was forced out on one play. It is not like everyone can be stellar at all times. His "touchdown" catch was amazing. How many throws did Edwards receive this game and how many did he drop ? This BE seems much better that the one last year. Now it falls on the OC to use this guy. A good receiver needs time to get in rhythm too and it should fall on the team to get the QB and receiver in sync.

And Quinn, for having a miserable outing, played better than Jay Cutler would have, by ten miles.

The Cutler bashing is cruel too. It dont matter who the QB would have been facing that Green Bay D, they would have faced the same pressure and sacks. Rest Assured Brady Quinn will be facing the Green Bay D in a few weeks time, We will know then.

At this point i think this team will only slightly improve until mangini rebuilds the offense with versatile WRs and a new right side mostly due to the offensive scheme and its simple to defend principles...

And lums DA would have been sacked a minimal of 12 times with at least 3 picks yeah bq sucked the big one and failed to launch anything down the field namely because the only guy running downfield sucks...this is a horrible offense by all terms available...bad playcalling,bad players,bad o-line and bad coordination...

they did ok most of the day. the problem is: the defense gets very tired when they are on the field the entire game. the offense needs to give them some rest every once and a while.

They weren't on the filed the entire game. CLE actually controlled the TOP the first half. MIN started the 3rd quarter with a long drive. Then CLE turned it over and MIN had another drive. Those two drives took up almost the entire 3rd QTR, thus swinging the TOP to MIN. In the end MIN only won the TOP by 7 minutes.

At this point i think this team will only slightly improve until mangini rebuilds the offense with versatile WRs and a new right side mostly due to the offensive scheme and its simple to defend principles...

And lums DA would have been sacked a minimal of 12 times with at least 3 picks yeah bq sucked the big one and failed to launch anything down the field namely because the only guy running downfield sucks...this is a horrible offense by all terms available...bad playcalling,bad players,bad o-line and bad coordination...

At this point.. you don't know jack shit about jack shit.

Its been 1 game, shut the fuk up.

And lums DA would have been sacked a minimal of 12 times with at least 3 picks yeah bq sucked the big one and failed to launch anything down the field namely because the only guy running downfield sucks...

Seems like Robert Royal and Mick Furrey are awesome. We can bench BE and start Robo or MoMass and then all our problems will be solved !

But Edwards lets this team down. He's a big, powerful fleet footed receiver... why was he forced?

out of bounds by a db? Of course, he made a great catch for the TD but no td on the reply. He didn't get

both feet in bounds before he caught the ball.

Leave it to Edwards to have this rule too, work against them.

Are you kidding me? He was running a route along the sideline and got pushed out illegally. His focus was on getting to the ball, then he got shoved out of bounds by the DB, ILLEGALLY. The only time he's going to be focused on where his feet are is when he's making the catch. It was just bad luck that he didn't get both feet back in bounds, and you're an idiot if you think us not getting a touchdown on that drive is his fault.

Are you kidding me? VT

NO.

He was running a route along the sideline and got pushed out illegally. His focus was on getting to the ball, then he got shoved out of bounds by the DB, ILLEGALLY. VT

Of course he was pushed out illegally. Are YOU kidding ME? His focus should have been

working to maintain his position in bounds, to be able to make a play on the pass that hadn't

gotten there yet.

The only time he's going to be focused on where his feet are is when he's making the catch. It was just bad luck that he didn't get both feet back in bounds, and you're an idiot if you think us not getting a touchdown on that drive is his fault. VT

And you are an idiot if you thought I was saying that it was Edwards' fault that the TD didn't count.

I didn't SAY Edwards had time to get both feet in bounds. The freakin ball was there

right as he was coming back in bounds.

Hey, Edwards made a great catch there. But if he had maintained his position in bounds,

he could have made the catch for a TD. Instead, he let a smaller db move him out of bounds.

My criticism is that Edwards is plenty big enough to have stayed on his route in bounds.

And "Leave it to Edwards" refers to some of his bad luck, some of which, he turns into a hero by

reaching behind him and making a great catch. But sometimes not.

Oh really?

Hey have you ever noticed that when Anderson plays, the stadium isn't completely empty by the end of the game?

when Quinn plays, it's been a ghost town twice in his three home games.

Season ticket owner here.

Your obviously too poor to be one, but anyways. You have no clue what your talking about.

I was actually pleased with the defense as well, especially the "attack" philosophy we used until they wore down in the 2nd half. Here's hoping they continue to keep that plan throughout the season. We got pressure & sacked Favre 4 times, not bad.

The "D" looks like they are going to have to carry us. We'll see in Denver, hopefully we can sustain drives and score points.

I thought the special teams let us down- yes we had a Cribbs TD & 2 FGs, but we lost field position, our kick coverage team was weak.

I agree about the Edwards thing. I don't understand that stupid rule...Edwards was interfered with, but needs to "reestablish position" in bounds? The Vikings got rewarded for that, and of course, we can't punch it in and settle for a field goal. Does this crap only happen to the Browns?

Edwards is the classic "tease" player...makes sensational plays at times, but just can't seem to focus for an entire game. His false start penalties are getting real old; I would expect him to be docked playing time by the new staff if this continues. He is the most talented of the WRs, but I'd rather see the rookies, Furrey & Cribbs in more.

More excuses, eh? We just let AP rush for 180 yards. Pathetic. To start a thread based on "winning later," shows how far this team has to go.

A Mike Singletary quote is good in this situation: "Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."

Too many losers, who don't want to win. Just my .02.

Of course he was pushed out illegally. Are YOU kidding ME? His focus should have been

working to maintain his position in bounds, to be able to make a play on the pass that hadn't

gotten there yet.

I still don't get how you could fault Edwards for that. He was in a full sprint and eyeing down a fade that was just thrown. I don't care how much money you're being paid, if you are running a fade at full speed, and someone shoves you before the ball is even close, you're going to come off your line a bit. If he would have been shoved out while catching the ball, then yes, I could see where your gripe comes in. But in this situation, I just cannot fault Edwards. He was running a very good route.

More excuses, eh? We just let AP rush for 180 yards. Pathetic. To start a thread based on "winning later," shows how far this team has to go.

A Mike Singletary quote is good in this situation: "Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."

Too many losers, who don't want to win. Just my .02.

Well said, Thomas. These guys are not paid to play, they're paid to WIN!

Cal, I miss your "homesteading tales" but I don't care for the excuses here. We're outmatched? We're not in their league? They have one of the best defenses? Sounds like what you're saying is that the Browns suck...and that's what bugs the shit out of me.

First year regime? Yea, I know. 50% player turnover? Yea, I know...etc., etc.

I'm just sick of the losing. The Vikings are the kinds of teams that we need to start beating. Every year it's the same thing. New QB, new HC, new this and new that are all reasons that fans tolerate the losing.

Yet, here we are...again. The song remains the same.

-Al

The Vikings are the kinds of teams that we need to start beating.

Last season, maybe I'd agree with you, when RAC was in his 4th season. But the turnover and new systems, with a new QB, I wouldn't have expected a win. I said it before, we need to temper our expectations. Done it before? Yes, too much. That does not release you from the reality of the situation, which is the Vikings are ahead of us. We did great for 1 half of football, something to build on. Could you imagine not having that kind of half, what these guys would be staring at this week?

All you guys getting upset puzzles me. The Vikings controlled the game and imposed thier will. Just what have you seen the last few seasons that tells you we were up for that?

Minn is a veteran team,

the Browns are new with their coaching staff, a lot of players, Quinn starting, Mack starting,

new RG and RT, new second string rb, new offense...

it's the first game.

Not an excuse, dangit, just reasons why I'm not upset as in "the Browns suck and can't beat anybody".

I wanted them to win, but seriously, it is way too early to put big money on the Browns beating the Vikings.

The offense was out of sync. The defense lowered the boom on their running game, until later on,

when they had to be exhausted.

I didn't EXPECT them to destroy Minn. I DO EXPECT them to beat the crap out of Denver.

We'll see. I'm high on the aggressiveness, and NO, they do NOT look like the Browns of the last several years.

Archived