THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Daboll ... too conservative ?

BrownIndian

What was with the offensive play calling ? while people have their knives sharpened for BQ and BE I find it hard to believe that we are letting go of the brain that rules the slime.

Why were we so conservative ? Why were we so silent in the pass versus the number 1 RUSH defense. As BQ hesitated to throw more down field they bought in more and more players into the box. Watch for Denver to try to emulate what the Minnesota D did to us.

Why were we so conservative ? Why were we so silent in the pass versus the number 1 RUSH defense. As BQ hesitated to throw more down field they bought in more and more players into the box. Watch for Denver to try to emulate what the Minnesota D did to us.

It isn't the OC who's looking for the outlet guy when the receivers have yet to get into their routes.

As far as other teams loading up the box.......NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

It isn't the OC who's looking for the outlet guy when the receivers have yet to get into their routes.

I'd rather have the guy in there that can find the outlet guy when he has his offensive line being pushed into him and defenders in his face than the guy that would be taking 10-15 sacks per game and throwing numerous picks into double/triple coverage in the same situation. When DA does manage to find the outlet, he grossly over or under throws him.

This team offensively looked exactly the same as last year the qb really doesnt matter in this system it just sucks..i will say for better or worse DA would have tried to force deep balls which may have helped spread the defense or may have been picked off every time however due to pressure DA would have likely been sacked to much to be a factor...

Its all on mangini/daboll for incorporating chuds crappy basic system with only one guy that cant break loose going deep...we need offensive creativity not this boring uncreative easy to stop crap...

This team offensively looked exactly the same as last year the qb really doesnt matter in this system it just sucks..i will say for better or worse DA would have tried to force deep balls which may have helped spread the defense or may have been picked off every time however due to pressure DA would have likely been sacked to much to be a factor...

Its all on mangini/daboll for incorporating chuds crappy basic system with only one guy that cant break loose going deep...we need offensive creativity not this boring uncreative easy to stop crap...

couldn't have said it better myself. If we continue to play offense like last game, it honestly won't matter what team we're playing. They'll load up the box and stop it. Sure we'll have some more success against weaker teams, but that offense is not going to do anything.

I'm hoping that the first game was the coaches trying to get Quinn some confidence by completing passes. If we play that dink and dunk offense all season, we're in for a long one.

I would not say to conservative. I liked the commitment to run the ball, but did not like all runs from the shotgun or the wild cat on the goal line. Once they went up by two scores there D really brought the pressure and we did not adjust. Whenever Quinn tried to go to a WR they were covered pretty tight no real separation from what I could tell. A rookie OC and Cribbs at receiver kind of concerns me. I love Cribbs but not as a wideout and Furry is serviceable at best.

I think it was Mangini's game plan, and it simply didn't work. I think the plan was to mix the run with short throws to allow the WR or RB to catch and run.

The Vikes were taking away the pass, and when we did throw underneath they usually closed in very fast.

We made some progress on the ground. My question is why did we forsake the run as soon as they got a lead?

What was with the offensive play calling ? while people have their knives sharpened for BQ and BE I find it hard to believe that we are letting go of the brain that rules the slime.

I think it was Mangini's game plan, and it simply didn't work. I think the plan was to mix the run with short throws to allow the WR or RB to catch and run.

The Vikes were taking away the pass, and when we did throw underneath they usually closed in very fast.

We made some progress on the ground. My question is why did we forsake the run as soon as they got a lead?

It was a bad mix of over-conservative playcalling against a team we could have beat if we had gone all out and attacked if for no other reason to keep the defense off the field instead of playing to lose...its to late for manfooli to teach bq the basics its time to try and win!

Too conservative...hmmm.

That is not how I would classify running the WildDawg on 3rd and inches from the goal line. Why take the ball back four yards?

They should have just snuck Quinn behind Mack or Steinbach...twice if needed.

I also thought we would screen them off of our QB to be honest. The right side was getting beat and we just kept letting it happen instead of working the screen to the outside, the middle or right behind the defenders as they charged.

I think we missed an opportunity there and Harrison must have been hurt still (?) not to bring him in for some screen action or flare passes out of the backfield (c'mon, we hit the fullback for goodness' sake, and he LOST that fumble).

Also, not enough spread formations..and I mean big spreads, four and five wideouts (with no tight ends). I was pretty impressed with the Vikes DBs, but I really don't think we challenged them appropriately with multiple crossing patterns, short screens and two or three more shots down the field.

I hope our O starts to gel now..and that Hadnot gets back soon. I also hope Daboll learns quicly.

Guest TheJokersWILD

They need to call plays the have options 15 - 20 yards downfield so even if Quinn doesn't complete the pass, the defense has to respect the fact that they are taking shots down the field.

A vast understatement.

Whether it was his, the line's or Quinn's fault I'm still uncertain...

We ran less conservative plays in the preseason....

WHERE THE HELL DID THE SCREEN PLAYS GO... they worked great in preseaons... against the 1's.

I think they should just fire these guys week after week until somebody somehow gets Brady Quinn to have a decent game.

This. Brady QUEEN (you see, I'm clever because his name's actually Quinn, but I'm demeaning him by calling him queen) isn't being held accountable for any of his mistakes. The offense is entirely on him, to be sure, but I think you guys are letting him off too easy. Where was he on that run by Adrian Peterson? Don't give me that crap about arm tackling by defenders. Back when I played, there weren't designated QBs. They were FOOTBALL PLAYERs, and I didn't see him getitng in on that play. Pansy. As the great Don Shula said, "And I coached against Mike when he was an assistant with the Bears and they won that football game." So don't be giving me any excuses about how Queenn isn't able to run for 130 yards against Butkus and the Bears in a home game at the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. This loss to the Los Angeles Rams falls directly on his shoulders.

And that is why Bra (by dropping the last two letters I get another effeminate word, which means that he sucks at football) Queen should be benched.

Archived