THE BROWNS BOARD

Sounds Like We Need A Refresher

Flugel

Last year we started off the season in the following way and I'm ALL EARS about how much better Dumb Ass was at finding the HOT reads:

Dallas 28 Cleveland 10

Pittsburgh 10 Cleveland 6

Baltimore 28 Cleveland 10

There was another shabby loss not too much later

Indy 10 Cleveland 6 (1 TD came off DA's fumble so Peyton's odffense only score 3 points - warm & fuzzy?)

Geee, let's piss and moan about being AHEAD at halftime in this opener because the Dumb Ass fans have ticklish G-spots. Seriously folks, DA was in his THIRD consecutive season of starts when he went 3-6. If you're seeing regression in lieu of progress and growth - he's NOT the freakin answer.

I'm sitting here reading a BUNCH of fans that sound like they CANNOT wait to see Quinn fail. When your first round draft pick is a QB - it's pretty freakin important that he does NOT suck or this franchise is FUBAR. That being the case, don't take this SHIT out on those of us that FINALLY want to see what he has in his THIRD year. All Dumb Ass ever had to do with his 27 starts was prove he could learn from his experience. That means growth instead of regression. If DA was Kurt Warner - nobody would give the first crap WHO the other QB is on this team. Since he's not, we're right back to the rationale of WHY we needed to draft a 1st round QB.

I've said all along, it would have been MUCH better to find out if Quinn has it or not back in his 1st and 2nd seasons - rather than getting into season #3 and finding out we need to start all over again in 2010. That being the case, I'm rooting my ass off for Quinn to succeed. Why wouldn't I?

- Tom F.

Thanks for the refresher. My mind doesn't hold all that info well. I honestly would have to look all that up so I appreciate the legwork and I'm right with ya.

I don't think DA is the guy and it's finally time for Brady to get a chance to prove one way or the other. Let's cross our fingers.

Thanks for the perspective, Flugs. Keep making sense; someone has got to in the face of the madness of frustration.

We have no choice but to hope Quinn is the answer because our team spent a first-round pick on him. First round busts are HUGELY detrimental to a franchise, as we well know. Anyone who wants to throw away the investment OUR TEAM made WITHOUT EVEN GIVING HIM A LEGITIMATE CHANCE is, quite simply, Lumberghian in their stupidity and their fandom should be called into question.

Last year we started off the season in the following way and I'm ALL EARS about how much better Dumb Ass was at finding the HOT reads:

Dallas 28 Cleveland 10

Indy 10 Cleveland 6 (1 TD came off DA's fumble so Peyton's odffense only score 3 points - warm & fuzzy?)

Geee, let's piss and moan about being AHEAD at halftime in this opener because the Dumb Ass fans have ticklish G-spots. Seriously folks, DA was in his THIRD consecutive season of starts when he went 3-6. If you're seeing regression in lieu of progress and growth - he's NOT the freakin answer.

I'm sitting here reading a BUNCH of fans that sound like they CANNOT wait to see Quinn fail. When your first round draft pick is a QB - it's pretty freakin important that he does NOT suck or this franchise is FUBAR. That being the case, don't take this SHIT out on those of us that FINALLY want to see what he has in his THIRD year. All Dumb Ass ever had to do with his 27 starts was prove he could learn from his experience. That means growth instead of regression. If DA was Kurt Warner - nobody would give the first crap WHO the other QB is on this team. Since he's not, we're right back to the rationale of WHY we needed to draft a 1st round QB.

I've said all along, it would have been MUCH better to find out if Quinn has it or not back in his 1st and 2nd seasons - rather than getting into season #3 and finding out we need to start all over again in 2010. That being the case, I'm rooting my ass off for Quinn to succeed. Why wouldn't I?

- Tom F.

Me too, because I am a True Browns Fan. It seems that many people on this board are'nt though.

Oh great, another thread on how Quinn "doesn't suck as much" as DA. What a great time to be a Browns fan huh? "We would have only lost by 7, not 11, if Quinn was the QB!"

I wonder if we will ever again argue about how if "home-field advantage throughout the playoffs" is really necessary, or if we can win it all by "just being the #2 seed"? I guess as long as we are arguing that one QB is worse then the other mediocre QB, the answer will be NO.

Quinn has his chance and it will last for more than one game. All of the people who kept saying "Quinn is a real NFL QB" "Quinn is great, Quinn is good" for the last 1.5 years shouldn't have been surprised by this reaction. Isn't this how the board reacted when Anderson played poorly? If the Browns give up on Quinn this year it almost certainly means they are drafting a QB which means it will be longer until we have a good team.

I am personally so tired of hearing "If Brady was starting we would be ... " But, I realize that a successful Brady means the Browns are getting ready for the playoffs.

Last year we started off the season in the following way

FYI Flugs

1 TD was by Josh Cribbs

Another was as Minnesota was loading the bus.

Feel free to credit Quinnie with 20 pts if you like.

But we know that was the most inept shitfest the Browns have had since Charlie Frye was under center.

And don't forget the Viks pass D was ranked 18th last year. Would you like to compare that with the Cowboys, Steelers, or Ravens Ds from last year?

Tom, the DA era is over. Using him to mitigate BQ at this point is fruitless.

Keep your eye on the ball. All that matters is who is behind center and how he plays.

BQ isn't going to get any love if he plays equal to or marginally better than the last guy.

Guest ATENEARS
But stan, shit, I knew he was an asshole, but I never thought he'd actually root against the starting QB. New lows, even for that guy, and that's saying something....

We have a starting QB? Oh you me figuratively speaking ...

Guest ATENEARS

Dallas 28 Cleveland 10

- Tom F.

If we traded DA, what on earth would Brady Nation be talking about today?

Well, Charlie Frye comparisons would work ...

3rd year starter? like he actually played three full seasons... lmao

Last year, we had no rushing game, no skill players except for winslow, oline sucked etc

the year before when he actually was the starter for the whole year he had skill players and a rushing game.... imagine that

the end of the year before they let him play at the end of the season because of bs he was not starting the whole year....

The last time I checked this is a team game with tons of support staff on the sideline in multi million dollar organizations....

Brady sucked and on his own but the team did not help him either right side of the o line/skill players etc.

I like how people know DA is not the answer based on a broken injured team with no skill players last year and the phil dictator and no power RAC show with Chud as the o coordinator..... yes because the guy who showed top end ability during a monday night Giants game and the year before led us to 10 wins saddled with a terrible defense breaking franchise records for most home wins thowing 3700+ yards and 29tds just grows on trees...

If the entire team was performing last year and DA sucked I could understand....... The viking defense was what against the pass last year? the steelers and the ravens defenses are comparable how?

Well, Charlie Frye comparisons would work ...

I can't imagine Stanley, but we could start with what makes your avatar so damn awesome, or our favorite flavor of EAS shake, or maybe how we just can't wait to get our mouths around our favorite $5 foot-long.

I'm concerned about improvement - will we see the team improve (and not just against bad teams).

4th quarter play is particularly what I'm interested in - do they play all 4th quarters, or just give up like they did under RAC?

I saw some of the 'give up' in the 4th on Sunday from the defense. The offense didn't give up, they just didn't look good once the Vikings started rushing everyone.

Guest ATENEARS
But stan, shit, I knew he was an asshole, but I never thought he'd actually root against the starting QB. New lows, even for that guy, and that's saying something....

Have a quote to support that Internet Tough guy?

Just because I didn't make cute fuzzy excuses for Sunday's shitty play, doesn't mean I rooted against any player on our team.

I think it's kind of silly to keep throwing the Vikes pass defense ranking from LAST YEAR out there like it's the end all be all.

Look, when you rank first against the rush you have a damn good D period, and of course your passer rating is going higher than your run rating.

Just a dumb argument. I was at the game and I saw a very good defense from the Vikes top to bottom. Quinn needs to get better, but let's see what he does against some lesser defenses.

How about the starting QB for the Browns?

Oh, wait, that IS what we're talking about, and have been, for the last 2 (5, 10, 15, 20) years.

It is truly unbelievable how Lumberghian things are getting around here when it comes to the QB talk.

Let's remember: we are 1 game into the first full year of starting of our first-round draft pick QB.

To compare him unfavorably to ANY veteran starting QB after ONE GAME is -- well, I can't think of what else to call it -- Lumberghian it its stupidity.

Im about as big a bq fan as you will find and i was absolutely unimpressed by my guy and by the micro dunk and junk but there is a lot more to this thing then just bq having a horrendous day...it starts at manweenie and works its way through daboll then right on down to the team...theres plenty of blame for all on the offensive side and at least they are sharing the blame and will work through it...practice will be intense this week...

A new regime a new guy under center a new guy as the center and total crap play from the guys on the right side of the o-line,big slow WRs that cant get open,react, block or pick let alone catch so lets give it some time and watch what happens....;)

Im really sick of hearig how physical BE is from mangini when i always see him in games unable and or unwilling to block even a cb on running plays or hold off a safety so another guy who caught the ball can gain some extra yards...if we have to have these inconsistant big slugs as WRs we need to at least have slugs that can block like the vikings WRs...

Good point, Gips. There's a lot of dink-and-dunking on the board this week with everyone focusing only on the most recent game without looking downfield at what was left on the field and what's to come.

The offensive gameplan was beyond weird on Sunday. All I can imagine is that they outsmarted themselves while trying to outsmart the Vikings D.

I'm hoping (and anticipating) a return to some basics this week, including play action, quick strikes and screens to set up the downfield attempts.

Basically, what Weis did with Quinn to tremendouse effect for two years at ND.

I would add a couple of caveats to the Eli Manning example. First, the Giants were essentially pot committed to being patient with Manning; the trade they used to get him and his contract kind of required them to be patient with him--it's not like they could have dumped him after his early struggles. Second--and this is probably related to the first point--there was never a competition in New York; it was more of a coronation. Once Warner got benched, Manning was going to be the starter come hell or high water.

Third--and this gets overlooked by way too many people--Eli Manning just isn't a great quarterback. He's a good quarterback who benefits greatly from having a solid running game and terrific defense. He isn't Trent Dilfer, but he's not even close to Peyton or Tom Brady. Going into this season, he had a QB rating of 76.1. Peyton's is almost 95. Tom Brady's is almost 93. Derek Anderson's is 75. To say that the Browns should follow the Giants' example is essentially to say that they should get a great running game and defense and hope that Quinn doesn't screw it up. I think he can do better than that, and I would hope that we would all want him to.

Dennis

...Eli Manning just isn't a great quarterback. He's a good quarterback...

Dennis

True Dennis, but the last 5 games of his Super Bowl year were great - and that's when it makes the biggest diff. QB rating 105 and TD/INT ratio of 10/3, but I agree, it was with a heck of a supporting cast. Overall, he is not at the Peyton and T. Brady level. I would take him over Dilfer though, but that's splitting hairs.

Look at the patience the NYG have shown with Eli Manning. Now they're perennial Super Bowl contenders.

I agree, but as i said in another thread...and we are a long way from this....if Quinn is looking bad 3-4-5 games in, I don't want the guy getting his 70% of the snaps, jacking his salary in to elite status.

I don't want to pay a schmoe elite money,,,either to keep or try to trade.

It makes no sense.

True Dennis, but the last 5 games of his Super Bowl year were great - and that's when it makes the biggest diff. QB rating 105 and TD/INT ratio of 10/3, but I agree, it was with a heck of a supporting cast. Overall, he is not at the Peyton and T. Brady level. I would take him over Dilfer though, but that's splitting hairs.

Absolutely. Maybe call him a "game manager plus." He can't carry a team for a season, but he can string together some games that can put a team over the top. And you won't see him preside over an offense that goes, what, six games without a touchdown, either.

Dennis

Archived