THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎   🏈   The  hardest  /  easiest  schedules from WEEK 12 on out this 2023 season.

mjp28

▪︎   🏈   The  hardest  /  easiest  schedules from WEEK 12 on out this 2023 season.

Screenshot_2023-11-21_165338.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-21_165354.jpg

• mjp28 pinned this topic

It figures that the tough  ● AFCN ●  would be in the mix here. 

HARDEST

1. CIN   5. BAL  23. CLE  26. PIT. 

~          And the  2024 NFL DRAFT  can never be  that  far away .....  can it ?

DETERMINING THE NFL DRAFT ORDER
1.  Non-playoff teams get picks 1-18 -- the team with the worst record picks first overall
2.  Teams eliminated in the Wild Card round get picks 19-24
3.  Teams eliminated in the Divisional round get picks 25-28
4.  Teams eliminated in the Conference Championships get picks 29-30
5.  Super Bowl loser gets pick 31
6.  Super Bowl winner gets pick 32
7.  Tiebreakers: strength of schedule, division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, interconference tiebreakers, coin toss
8.  This order applies to all seven rounds of the draft with tied teams cycling positions from round to round
9.  Weeks before the draft, up to a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lost significant free agents -- these picks are made after rounds 3-7

59 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

~          And the  2024 NFL DRAFT  can never be  that  far away .....  can it ?

DETERMINING THE NFL DRAFT ORDER
1.  Non-playoff teams get picks 1-18 -- the team with the worst record picks first overall
2.  Teams eliminated in the Wild Card round get picks 19-24
3.  Teams eliminated in the Divisional round get picks 25-28
4.  Teams eliminated in the Conference Championships get picks 29-30
5.  Super Bowl loser gets pick 31
6.  Super Bowl winner gets pick 32
7.  Tiebreakers: strength of schedule, division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, interconference tiebreakers, coin toss
8.  This order applies to all seven rounds of the draft with tied teams cycling positions from round to round
9.  Weeks before the draft, up to a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lost significant free agents -- these picks are made after rounds 3-7

Oh noooooooooo

Sorry, the Browns were so bad for so long, that's all that was discussed from October- August. The dam draft.

I don't miss those days.

Go Browns

• Like 1

Like I posted elsewhere mjp...  I'd rate the Steelers SOS even lower than #26.  Sunday will tell us a lot... Almost have to root for the Bengals. MHO as of now they're less of a threat than the Steelers.   

And yes Bob, it's much more pleasant late November to be discussing playoff scenarios than 2024 draft order. :) 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Like I posted elsewhere mjp...  I'd rate the Steelers SOS even lower than #26.  Sunday will tell us a lot... Almost have to root for the Bengals. MHO as of now they're less of a threat than the Steelers.   

And yes Bob, it's much more pleasant late November to be discussing playoff scenarios than 2024 draft order. :) 

True on both.

The draft is like a Christmas list. You never get what you want for the most part, and many times the shiny new toy loses it's luster quickly.

My other issue with the draft was how the Browns seemed to forget the draft was designed to make bad teams better. They constantly traded assets away to move up or down, & went 4-12 or 5-11 forever, & sprinkled in a remarkable 1-31.

I was very very happy John Dorsey put an end to that BS, & actually drafted football players. 

15 minutes ago, syd said:

oh fuck you had to mention his name .  cause some here really hated him

I didn't.. For those keeping track, Dorsey is now the Senior Personnel Director for the LIONS. Their talent acquisition in the draft has been rather good of late.  😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

I didn't.. For those keeping track, Dorsey is now the Senior Personnel Director for the LIONS. Their talent acquisition in the draft has been rather good of late.  😉

He died on the Kitchens hire, and my guess is he had no love for DePodesta. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, syd said:

loved Dorsey,,,but it was a good move on

Yes & no. I think a guy like Berry is better at press conferences, maybe better with his salary cap skills.

Dorsey's a throwback- just get me some tacklers & a bruising RB like Chubb lol.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yes & no. I think a guy like Berry is better at press conferences, maybe better with his salary cap skills.

Dorsey's a throwback- just get me some tacklers & a bruising RB like Chubb lol.

whoa berry hasnt made good trades or draft picks ?

Just now, syd said:

whoa berry hasnt made good trades or draft picks ?

He has. I don't dislike him, I'm just saying he's much more camera-polished, if that's a thing lol. 

All teams, all GMs make mistakes (along with scouting departments). It's magnified more when the lousy team makes a bad choice (as we've witnessed). 

It's probably a lot harder to be a GM in the salary cap era. Cutting players loose that you really don't want to, luring FAs looking for a payday, drafting has always been iffy to a degree.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, Bob806 said:

All teams, all GMs make mistakes (along with scouting departments). It's magnified more when the lousy team makes a bad choice (as we've witnessed). 

Yeah, they really do. It's so hard to judge, too. Like, how many of us were ready to write off Jordan Elliott? I know I certainly was, but he looks like a quality rotational player now. 

I think the biggest mistake Berry made that well could've tanked our season is trading Dobbs, then NOT making another trade to get him back or someone else like him before trade deadline. Many fans and beat writers openly questioned the decision, and it honestly didn't seem that complicated. Dobbs isn't GREAT, but he had familiarity with the offense and offered more experience over DTR. It was a huge gaffe and I really hope it doesn't kill our special season. 

That being said, DTR can and will get better. Like many of us said before, our coaches were determined not to lose the game on offense against Pittsburgh like we did the first time. Expect to see a different offense to some degree Sunday. How? I'm glad you asked! 

Remember those 5-6 "read-options" we ran where it looked like DTR had a zillion yards if he kept it? Well, I don't believe he had the option to keep it at ALL. Film shows he wasn't even looking at the DE, and I'm betting we were setting up the play for future games, and we coach didn't want DTR to mess around with their edge studs. Also, our depth of target and time to throw will increase. We'll throw it deeper (a bit) and try to hit some explosive plays in the right conditions. 

It won't be the greatest show on turf or anything, but it won't be last week, either. I really hope we can score enough points and we don't need Flacco because if the season tanks due to the offense and Dobbs keeps performing well for a backup, Berry will be judged VERY harshly. 

• Thanks 1

Just beat Denver this week !

But,   Also Keep this in mind if your thinking of going to Home game Jags..... or at Houston  ?

TV Flex scheduling could change Day and or Time...  

Keep winning  &  stay tuned

• Upvote 1

• mjp28 unpinned this topic
22 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, they really do. It's so hard to judge, too. Like, how many of us were ready to write off Jordan Elliott? I know I certainly was, but he looks like a quality rotational player now. 

I think the biggest mistake Berry made that well could've tanked our season is trading Dobbs, then NOT making another trade to get him back or someone else like him before trade deadline. Many fans and beat writers openly questioned the decision, and it honestly didn't seem that complicated. Dobbs isn't GREAT, but he had familiarity with the offense and offered more experience over DTR. It was a huge gaffe and I really hope it doesn't kill our special season. 

That being said, DTR can and will get better. Like many of us said before, our coaches were determined not to lose the game on offense against Pittsburgh like we did the first time. Expect to see a different offense to some degree Sunday. How? I'm glad you asked! 

Remember those 5-6 "read-options" we ran where it looked like DTR had a zillion yards if he kept it? Well, I don't believe he had the option to keep it at ALL. Film shows he wasn't even looking at the DE, and I'm betting we were setting up the play for future games, and we coach didn't want DTR to mess around with their edge studs. Also, our depth of target and time to throw will increase. We'll throw it deeper (a bit) and try to hit some explosive plays in the right conditions. 

It won't be the greatest show on turf or anything, but it won't be last week, either. I really hope we can score enough points and we don't need Flacco because if the season tanks due to the offense and Dobbs keeps performing well for a backup, Berry will be judged VERY harshly. 

Right. The backup QB is always a point of concern & they gambled on it. Hopefully it won't hurt 'em.

Nobody saw the Dobbs' success coming. Probably not even Dobbs, but you have to seriously admire his determination. 

Remember his stint in Tenn last season? It was dismal, that's why he was set free again.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Remember his stint in Tenn last season? It was dismal, that's why he was set free again

Absolutely. Like we always say, there's generally a reason someone is a backup. I truly believe we'll know more about DTR this week, mainly because our running game should be MUCH better. I mean, think about it...we literally couldn't run against Steelers at ALL. That's a very difficult road for a rookie QB! I don't expect to be world beaters on the ground, but it HAS to be better. 

If we can get a little running game cooking, it'll allow us chances for play-action and some deeper drops needed to take a couple shots. We were so scared of Pittsburgh, rightfully so, that we didn't even try to get deep. I don't expect DTR to throw it around the yard or anything, but I do expect a much different offense. 

Where it gets interesting is with Joe Flacco. Joe still has a plus arm, make no mistake, but he's a literal statue. Any rush or pressure and the play is toast. But there's seems to be the feeling across the various pods I listen to that it's not if but WHEN Flacco starts. I'm not sure I believe it, and I truly believe our best course of action is for DTR to steadily improve, even if incrementally, but if he can't...Flacco will play. 

Also, Ward seems to be out for at least a week maybe more. Our injuries are mounting and it's unfortunate. We'll need points to win Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Absolutely. Like we always say, there's generally a reason someone is a backup. I truly believe we'll know more about DTR this week, mainly because our running game should be MUCH better. I mean, think about it...we literally couldn't run against Steelers at ALL. That's a very difficult road for a rookie QB! I don't expect to be world beaters on the ground, but it HAS to be better. 

If we can get a little running game cooking, it'll allow us chances for play-action and some deeper drops needed to take a couple shots. We were so scared of Pittsburgh, rightfully so, that we didn't even try to get deep. I don't expect DTR to throw it around the yard or anything, but I do expect a much different offense. 

Where it gets interesting is with Joe Flacco. Joe still has a plus arm, make no mistake, but he's a literal statue. Any rush or pressure and the play is toast. But there's seems to be the feeling across the various pods I listen to that it's not if but WHEN Flacco starts. I'm not sure I believe it, and I truly believe our best course of action is for DTR to steadily improve, even if incrementally, but if he can't...Flacco will play. 

Also, Ward seems to be out for at least a week maybe more. Our injuries are mounting and it's unfortunate. We'll need points to win Sunday. 

While I get the excitement for DTR... I'd rather roll with Joe..  I'd rather roll with experience.. There's really no substitute for experience unless DTR wakes up one day and suddenly becomes Patrick Mahomes or Brady. We all know that is not happening... I agree with the running game becoming a bigger role.. I still want to see less Ford... More Hunt... I want to see more screen passes and wheel routes set up for Hunt to take advantage of whatever speed he has left... It's not rocket science Kevvy!

2 hours ago, nickers said:

While I get the excitement for DTR... I'd rather roll with Joe..  I'd rather roll with experience.. There's really no substitute for experience unless DTR wakes up one day and suddenly becomes Patrick Mahomes or Brady. We all know that is not happening... I agree with the running game becoming a bigger role.. I still want to see less Ford... More Hunt... I want to see more screen passes and wheel routes set up for Hunt to take advantage of whatever speed he has left... It's not rocket science Kevvy!

There's a good chance you're right. No disrespect to DTR, but rookie 1st rounders mostly struggle, let alone a fifth. It's uphill to be sure, and I anticipate another ugly game, but can he do enough? 

As far as Flacco goes, it would not surprise me if he starts after our west coast trip. I hate that he can't move, but do you really want the season in the hands of a rookie? We'll see! Should be a fun season no matter what and I'm here for it. 

• Upvote 1