THE BROWNS BOARD

FBS Trivia

The Gipper

Today, there are 120 schools in the FBS fka Division 1-A. Here are some trivia questions about those schools:

1. What 2 states have the most FBS colleges located in them?

2. Two current FBS schools have been members in 5 different conferences, most of any schools. Name them.

3. Two current FBS schools were once in the SEC but left. Name them.

4. What two current FBS schools have been playing intercollegiate football the longest?

5. The following colors are used in the nicknames of various current FBS schools: Crimson, Red, Black, Golden, Blue, Yellow, Green, Scarlet, Cardinal, Orange. Which color is used the most, and if you can, name the schools.

6. Of the 120 FBS schools, 5 still use "Indian" nicknames. What are they?

7. What cities here that have FBS schools that are the same name as that of a foreign capital?

8. Two cities of the same name appear 5 times on the list of FBS college towns. Give those city names. (e.g. Bumfrak, Alaska and Bumfrak, Hawaii)

9. Name the current FBS schools that are "Independent", i.e.not belonging to a football conference.

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there?

11. Which FBS school won the most games while going undefeated. Name the school and the year.

12. What is the last school that is not part of the BCS today to win a National Championship?

13. What school used to be a member of The Big Ten?

14. When did The Big Ten formally become The Big Ten?

1) California, Texas

11) THE Ohio State University, 14-0 2002

5) Alabama Crimson Tide, Miami Red Hawks & Texas Tech Red Raiders, Army Black Knights of the Hudson, Tulsa Golden Hurricanes, Winnipeg Blue Bombers lol, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Tulane Green Wave, Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Stanford Cardinal, Syracuse Orangemen. I would say "red" is the most common color.

10) Vermont, Maine, & Rhode Island; maybe North & South Dakota

4) Harvard & Yale

2) SMU & Arkansas

I will work on the rest

1) California, Texas

11) THE Ohio State University, 14-0 2002

5) Alabama Crimson Tide, Miami Red Hawks & Texas Tech Red Raiders, Army Black Knights of the Hudson, Tulsa Golden Hurricanes, Winnipeg Blue Bombers lol, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Tulane Green Wave, Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Stanford Cardinal, Syracuse Orangemen. I would say "red" is the most common color.

10) Vermont, Maine, & Rhode Island; maybe North & South Dakota

4) Harvard & Yale

2) SMU & Arkansas

I will work on the rest

You only got one full complete answer correct here with your guesses, though on #10 all your choices are correct, but there are others.

10. wyoming

2. miami (fl) is one i think. is georgia tech the other?

9. notre dame, army, navy, and temple i believe.

i knew 1, 4 and 11 but i was beat to it.

Your answers are not correct, though I will give you #9 as you got them all but just added one. (Temple)

And go ahead and give #s 1 and 4 a try because those answers weren't right.

But yes, #11 was 2002 OSU.

1. What 2 states have the most FBS colleges located in them? Texas & Ohio followed closely by Florida and California

2. Two current FBS schools have been members in 5 different conferences, most of any schools. Name them. No clue… guess is Cincinatti and Duke

3. Two current FBS schools were once in the SEC but left. Name them. Wake Forest and Clemson

4. What two current FBS schools have been playing intercollegiate football the longest? Georgia and Alabama

5. The following colors are used in the nicknames of various current FBS schools: Crimson, Red, Black, Golden, Blue, Yellow, Green, Scarlet, Cardinal, Orange. Which color is used the most, and if you can, name the schools.

Crimson Tide is Alabama

Red Raiders is Texas Tech and Redhawks is Miami of Ohio

Black Knights is Army

Golden Flashes is Kent State and Golden Gophers is Minnesota

Blue Devils is Duke

Yellow Jackets is Georgia Tech

Scarlet Knights is Rutgers

Cardinal is Louisville or Ball State

Orange is Syracuse

Illinois Illini

Florida State Seminols

Utah Utes

Central Michigan Chippewas

Don’t know the 5th only names I think might be associated would be the Terrapins of Maryland, the Hoosiers of Indiana, or the Aggies of either Texas A&M or Utah State.

You could argue that the San Diego State Aztecs also uses an “Indian” Name.

7. What cities here that have FBS schools that are the same name as that of a foreign capital?

8. Two cities of the same name appear 5 times on the list of FBS college towns. Give those city names. (e.g. Bumfrak, Alaska and Bumfrak, Hawaii)

Miami, Florida and Miami Ohio

Athens, Georgia and Athens, Ohio

9. Name the current FBS schools that are "Independent", i.e.not belonging to a football conference.

Army, Navy, and Notre Dame

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there? Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island

11. Which FBS school won the most games while going undefeated. Name the school and the year. Ohio State University, 14, 2001/2002 season.

12. What is the last school that is not part of the BCS today to win a National Championship? Notre Dame

13. What school used to be a member of The Big Ten? No Clue… Cincinatti?

14. When did The Big Ten formally become The Big Ten? Don’t Know.

1. What 2 states have the most FBS colleges located in them? Texas & Ohio followed closely by Florida and California

2. Two current FBS schools have been members in 5 different conferences, most of any schools. Name them. No clue… guess is Cincinatti and Duke

3. Two current FBS schools were once in the SEC but left. Name them. Wake Forest and Clemson

4. What two current FBS schools have been playing intercollegiate football the longest? Georgia and Alabama

Crimson Tide is Alabama

Black Knights is Army

Blue Devils is Duke

Orange is Syracuse

Illinois Illini

Florida State Seminols

Utah Utes

Central Michigan Chippewas

Don’t know the 5th only names I think might be associated would be the Terrapins of Maryland, the Hoosiers of Indiana, or the Aggies of either Texas A&M or Utah State.

You could argue that the San Diego State Aztecs also uses an “Indian” Name.

Miami, Florida and Miami Ohio

Athens, Georgia and Athens, Ohio

Army, Navy, and Notre Dame

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there? Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island

11. Which FBS school won the most games while going undefeated. Name the school and the year. Ohio State University, 14, 2001/2002 season.

12. What is the last school that is not part of the BCS today to win a National Championship? Notre Dame

13. What school used to be a member of The Big Ten? No Clue… Cincinatti?

14. When did The Big Ten formally become The Big Ten? Don’t Know.

Pretty good job..You got #1 right, #6 you got them all(yes, I included SD St.), #9, and you got every state in #10 except one, and #11. For #8 you got one of the 5 cities, but FYI, Miami, Ohio is the name of the school...not of the city. BUT, give that one some more thought! And, it seems you may have misunderstood #5.

And FYI, Notre Dame IS a part of the BCS.

What 2 states have the most FBS colleges located in them? Texas and California

3. Two current FBS schools were once in the SEC but left. Name them. Tulane and Georgia Tech

6. Of the 120 FBS schools, 5 still use "Indian" nicknames. What are they? Aztecs, Seminoles, Illini, Chippewas, ?

9. Name the current FBS schools that are "Independent", i.e.not belonging to a football conference. Army, Navy, Notre Dame

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there?Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, Dakotas, ?

What 2 states have the most FBS colleges located in them? Texas and California

3. Two current FBS schools were once in the SEC but left. Name them. Tulane and Georgia Tech

6. Of the 120 FBS schools, 5 still use "Indian" nicknames. What are they? Aztecs, Seminoles, Illini, Chippewas, ?

9. Name the current FBS schools that are "Independent", i.e.not belonging to a football conference. Army, Navy, Notre Dame

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there?Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, Dakotas, ?

The one new answer you got completely correct is for #3. The others you have are all partially correct as well.

Crimson Tide is Alabama

Black Knights is Army

Blue Devils is Duke

Orange is Syracuse

Green is Tulane

Cardinal is also Stanford

Today, there are 120 schools in the FBS fka Division 1-A. Here are some trivia questions about those schools:

2. Two current FBS schools have been members in 5 different conferences, most of any schools. Name them.

4. What two current FBS schools have been playing intercollegiate football the longest? I think it's Penn State and Pittsburgh, although since Penn joined the Big Ten, they've only played a couple of games.

7. What cities here that have FBS schools that are the same name as that of a foreign capital? Ohio University in Athens and Memphis University in Memphis. Memphis was the ancient capitol of Egypt under the pharoahs. :D

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there? MT, ND, SD, NH, VT, ME, DE, RI, AND AK

11. Which FBS school won the most games while going undefeated. Name the school and the year.

12. What is the last school that is not part of the BCS today to win a National Championship?

13. What school used to be a member of The Big Ten? University of Chicago

14. When did The Big Ten formally become The Big Ten? 1918

Pretty good job..You got #1 right, #6 you got them all(yes, I included SD St.), #9, and you got every state in #10 except one, and #11. For #8 you got one of the 5 cities, but FYI, Miami, Ohio is the name of the school...not of the city. BUT, give that one some more thought! And, it seems you may have misunderstood #5.

And FYI, Notre Dame IS a part of the BCS.

I think on #5 I missed one of the Goldens. So I'd say that Golden is the color with the most schools.

Really? Notre Dame is one of the BCS schools? I thought only the 5 big conferences were?

Which state did I miss? Damn! Forgot Alaska... chuckle...

I think I misinterpreted your fourth question, I read that as which schools had the oldest intercollegiate rivalry. The oldest FBS programs I believe are Michigan and Minnesota

Right, I was not looking for the top rivalry, just the longest standing programs. Your answer here is not correct.

I think on #5 I missed one of the Goldens. So I'd say that Golden is the color with the most schools.

Really? Notre Dame is one of the BCS schools? I thought only the 5 big conferences were?

Which state did I miss? Damn! Forgot Alaska... chuckle...

Golden is the right answer., and yes, ND is the only BCS Independent.

Since most have been gotten, here are the Final Answers:

Someone got this: Texas has 10, Ohio has 8 for the most FBS schools in a state.

A tough one here. Answers are Va. Tech and New Mexico St.

Va. Tech has been a member of the ACC, Big East, Southern, South Atlantic, and Southern AIC which was different from the Southern Conf. (the latter two are defunct)

N.Mex. St. has been a member of the WAC, Sun Belt, Big West, Missouri Valley, and Border Intercollegiate conf. (the last now defunct)

Tulane and Georgia Tech are correct.

4. What two current FBS schools have been playing intercollegiate football the longest?

Rutgers has been playing since 1869. Recall that it played the very first game against Princeton (some of the other Ivies began play that same year, but they are not now FBS)

Northwestern is second, playing since 1876.

I think this question was misunderstood. The above color that is used most in the nicknames of FBS schools is GOLDEN:

Tulsa Golden Hurricanes

Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Kent State Golden Flashes

Florida International Golden Panthers

California Golden Bears

This one was gotten: Utah Utes, San Diego St. Aztecs, Illinois Fighting Illini, FSU Seminoles, Central Michigan Chippewas

Athens, Georgia and Athens, Ohio (Georgia and Ohio U.) after Athens, Greece

Moscow, Idaho (Univ. of Idaho) after Moscow, Russia

Athens, of course, Ohio and Georgia, (for Ohio U. and Georgia)

Oxford, Ohio and Mississippi (Miami, O. and Ole Miss)

Columbia, South Carolina and Missouri (South Carolina and Missouri)

Bowling Green, Ohio and Kentucky (for BGSU and Western Ky.)

University Park, Pennsylvania and Texas (for Penn St. and SMU)

Notre Dame, Army, Navy

10. Which states do NOT have an FBS school located there?

All these were named: Alaska, Delaware, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont.....and you can also include Washington D.C. though I didn't count it.

2002 Ohio State Buckeyes 14-0

BYU, 1984 National Champs (hey, they could get to the BCS game this year if they take out FSU)

13. What school used to be a member of The Big Ten?

The University of Chicago (now a Div. III school)

14. When did The Big Ten formally become The Big Ten?

Believe it or not it was 1987!

Before that it was officially "The Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives" but was only nicknamed "The Big Ten". Then in '87 for legal purposes they decided to make the name official.

Archived