THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini not out of the woods regarding Jets injury report

Guest mz.

Last week, Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum took the public fall for the realities of having a head coach with a bad habit of talking too little, and a quarterback with a bad habit of talking too much.

The Jets previously had been in the clear for failing to include Brett Favre on the injury report. After the 2008 season ended, Favre immediately started to talk about an arm injury that hampered his performance down the stretch. As the offseason unfolded, it became more and more clear that Favre was indeed injured.

But the league left it alone until last week, when Favre again revisited the issue, saying it was so bad that coach Eric Mangini should have benched him.

So the league no longer could ignore the situation. And not even Mangini, who like Favre no longer works for the Jets, will escape the investigation.

"Since he was head coach of the Jets at the time, we are reviewing his role in the situation as part of the overall review," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Associated Press on Tuesday.

And, presumably, Mangini can be fined or otherwise punished in his capacity as the head coach of the Browns, if it's determined that he made the decision not to list Favre on the injury report, even though Favre clearly was injured.

Mangini previously has spoken about the competitive advantage that flows from uncertainty regarding injuries, and the league previously has not punished teams for failing to disclose injuries, as long as the player has played.

The problem in this case is that the tenuous facade of open access to information has been disrupted by Favre's candor, and so the league must do something to restore it.

But it likely won't change the reality that the league office typically looks the other way, as long as the player fully participates in practice and plays, when teams like the Steelers don't disclose in the week before the Super Bowl that Big Gay Ben as having a rib injury or the Patriots fail to mention that running back Laurence Maroney has a broken shoulder.

Barring a dramatic overhaul of the current system, the league will continue to follow that same approach, unless and until the next Brett Favre repeatedly emphasizes that he played with an injury, in the hopes of ensuring that every American citizen realizes that he has a good excuse for consistently throwing the football to the wrong team.

Who would have thunk that piece-of-shit Brett Faver's stink could attach itself to US.

Here's to keeping all of our draft picks on the other end of this "saga." Lord knows we need 'em.

via here.

Favre thinks Mangini should have benched him; why didn't Favre bench himself? He's not some new rookie trying to earn a place on the squad. As a veteran wouldn't he know when he is too hurt to play, shouldn't he?

My guess is Mangini asked is Favre was good to go, and Favre said yes, not wanting to end his 'consecutive starts' streak.

Methinks the non-benching was all about Brett, just like his excuses are all about Brett.

It also seems there is more friction between him and Mangini than some were claiming. If they were such good buddies, I really doubt Favre would throw him under the bus.

Damn shame he wasn't injure and out for the season last week.

The player played. Coaches often leave out injuries (and sometimes place a player as Doubtful rather than Questionable) and nothing ever happens as along as the player plays.

Not coming clean on a guy who has an injury yet plays all the games? Uh, what exactly are they going to punish the Jets or Mangini for? Keeping an injury quiet so teams don't go after that injury?

This is a QB we're talking about here, a position obviously protected by NFL rules.

If they did not play him and he wasn't on the list, I could see a point.

Non-issue, the league has no real move here. Maybe a fine, but still I can't see it as a huge issue.

Guest Aloysius
Just got a txt from ESPN, they fined the Jets 125K for the non disclosure.

According to Rotoworld, the Jets organization was fined $75k. Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum were each fined $25k, which gets you to the $125k number.

EDIT: Adam Schefter has the same thing:

NFL doled out $125,000 worth of fines on Favre injury -- $75k to Jets, $25k to Mike Tannebaum, $25k to Eric Mangini.

Favre thinks Mangini should have benched him; why didn't Favre bench himself? He's not some new rookie trying to earn a place on the squad. As a veteran wouldn't he know when he is too hurt to play, shouldn't he?

My guess is Mangini asked is Favre was good to go, and Favre said yes, not wanting to end his 'consecutive starts' streak.

Methinks the non-benching was all about Brett, just like his excuses are all about Brett.

It also seems there is more friction between him and Mangini than some were claiming. If they were such good buddies, I really doubt Favre would throw him under the bus.

Damn shame he wasn't injure and out for the season last week.

Mangini wanted to bench Farve, the owners wouldn't let him, dont look down the food chain here look up to the gm and the owner. They are the ones that insisted on sticking with Farve

not Mangini. Farve cost him his job, why on earth would any coach allow that to happen for any reason?

Favre thinks Mangini should have benched him; why didn't Favre bench himself?

Man I don't think I could've ever benched myself.

And I think what Favre said was he would have been open to a benching, would have been open to giving Kellen a try since he could not make all the throws on time like he is used to. I am sure they all remember it differently, though.

Mangini needs to stop trying to "trick" the other team out with his little league tactics, you know, the spy-gate saga, hiding his QB selection, and now the Favre thing, and oh, I don't know.....................Out coach the other team the week leading up to the game, and on game-day itself.

What is the purpose of this post? Anti Browns? Who gives a shit about last season. Mangini is the Browns HC now, xxxx the Jets. It won't affect our draft pics or anything else.

Dude, are you not filling your prescriptions again? Mangini is the HC of the Browns, we didn't know what the NFL would do. The purpose of the post.....nevermind.

Dude, are you not filling your prescriptions again? Mangini is the HC of the Browns, we didn't know what the NFL would do. The purpose of the post.....nevermind.

xxxx you Desertdawg, you have always been an asswhipe drunk poster. Go subscribe to another special forces web site wannabe.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The NFL assessed $125,000 in fines to the New York Jets and former coach Eric Mangini on Wednesday for violating the league's rules on injury reporting with former quarterback Brett Favre last season.

The Jets failed to place Favre, now with the Minnesota Vikings, on the injury report during the final month of last season even though he had a torn biceps tendon.

The league announced it had fined the Jets $75,000, and Mangini and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum $25,000 apiece. Mangini now coaches the Cleveland Browns.

"We have been fully cooperative with the league throughout this investigation and respect their decision," the Jets said in a statement.

Mangini wants to put the situation behind him.

"I have worked with the league on this matter and now consider it closed," he said in a statement. "My focus is on our preparations for the Broncos."

Hiding injuries could affect an opponent's preparation and the NFL has stepped up policing such practices. Commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday that the case would be an opportunity for the league to stress that all teams must abide by the injury report rules.

Last week, Tannenbaum admitted the Jets should have listed Favre as "probable" on their injury reports. That came a day after Favre said he thought he was hurting the Jets because of the injury and discussed it with the coaches and the front office. He said he would have been willing to sit out, even though that would have ended his streak of consecutive starts, which now stands at 270 games.

Tannenbaum said the team didn't list Favre on the report because the injury wasn't severe enough to require daily treatment and there was never any doubt Favre would play. Tannenbaum also assumed full responsibility for the mistake.

Mangini said he has always abided by the league's guidelines for injury reports.

"That was true there [in New York]. It's true here," Mangini said. "It'll be true every week of the season and that's how we approach it."

Favre led the Jets to an 8-3 start and first place in the AFC East. But he threw nine interceptions down the stretch and the team lost four of its last five, missing the playoffs.

He retired after the season, and was later released by the Jets. Favre came out of retirement -- for the second time -- last month and signed with Minnesota.

Favre told reporters last week he may not be able to play all 16 games with the Vikings, even after the biceps tendon was surgically repaired. He said he's playing with a torn rotator cuff and suggested he might have a cracked rib.

Favre completed 14 of 21 passes for 110 yards and a touchdown in the Vikings' season-opening 34-20 win over Mangini's Browns on Sunday.

Archived