THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign two

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Per Rotoworld:

Browns signed G/C Billy Yates.

Yates was released by the Patriots near final cut day. Like all good backup offensive linemen, Yates can play multiple positions. He made seven spot starts for New England last season.

Browns signed S Ray Ventrone.

He's an excellent special teamer and will provide some depth in the defensive backfield, although the Patriots tried to make him a backup receiver last preseason.

Guest Aloysius

And here's the second cut they needed to make to fit both guys on the roster:

Browns waived DB DeAngelo Smith.

Cleveland guaranteed a ton of players' Week 1 salaries that are now being waived. Smith, a fifth-rounder in April, should make it to the practice squad.

via here.

I liked the signing of Smith. I think he has a lot of upside. I think they are looking for some veterans who can contribute on special teams immediately hoping they can get Smith to the PS for a year of seasoning.

I don't know if Yates means that Hadnot isn't ready or that Fraley is in trouble.

I don't think this is the last move they make. I see this a an ongoing process to get more efficient backups and stronger on special teams. Leon Williams was being outplayed by Veikune and Maiava on special teams and I think he reached his celling. We didn't need him taking reps that the two rookies need to progress.

Yay, two more nobodies that wont produce in the slightest bit. Well... Maybe Yates will do something, but what's with Ventrone? Why do we even NEED more WRs? I'm sorry, I thought that drafting two 2nd round recievers, along with Cribbs and Furrey were enough pickups this year. :huh:

Yay, two more nobodies that wont produce in the slightest bit. Well... Maybe Yates will do something, but what's with Ventrone? Why do we even NEED more WRs? I'm sorry, I thought that drafting two 2nd round recievers, along with Cribbs and Furrey were enough pickups this year. :huh:

Ventrone is a SAFETY and a very good special teams player. So, that nobody could definately help since Cribbs is being used more on offense and not on coverage units.

Ventrone is a SAFETY and a very good special teams player. So, that nobody could definately help since Cribbs is being used more on offense and not on coverage units.

My bad.... I heard the news about the two guys from my brother first, and he told me that he was a WR... and I didn't bother to read the OP :lol:

Ok, a saftey is something that I can see us picking up. Maybe he'll do something on Special Teams.

Probably not.....BUT....rosters aren't built just from the top down. They are also built from the bottom up, which is important.

I appreciate your view, but I will stick with the view of the guy paid to run our team.

Thanks anyway.

Archived