THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini scaring away FAs?

We need Tom Tupa

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ay-from-browns/

Sources: Agents steering players away from Browns

Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2009 7:28 PM ET

Though the Cleveland Browns were able to lure to town today a couple of players with connections to coach Eric Mangini (safety Ray Ventrone and guard Billy Yates), multiple sources have told us that some agents plan to steer their clients away from the Browns.

Right or wrong, there's a sense of discontent regarding the new regime in Cleveland, where coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis are running the show, with Mangini serving essentially as the man in charge.

A variety of issues have contributed to the situation, and we're in the process of tracking down specific details regarding some of the potential problem areas.

In the offseason, feathers were ruffled when Mangini took first-year players on a ten-hour bus ride to Hartford, Connecticut to work a youth football camp. Also, the lingering contractual impasse regarding receiver Josh Cribbs could be creating trust issues, given Cribbs' strong belief that owner Randy Lerner promised to re-work Cribbs' below-market deal,and the fact that Mangini/Kokinis have denied the allegation.

The Cribbs conundrum reminds many of the disputes that arose when Mangini coached the Jets, including guard Pete Kendall, receiver Laveranues Coles, and tight end Chris Baker. All claimed that promises had been made regarding their contracts, and that the promises had been broken.

As one source explained it, the Browns likely will be required to overpay free agents in the offseason. If the money that Cleveland is offering matches the money on the table from another team, the thinking is that the players will be far more inclined to sign with the team not named the Browns.

The weather,the talent level,the fans,the recent history of suckitude, the No fun style of the program and the coach! Yes I believe the story, it hasn't changed and won't change until we are winning division titles again. Period! Same thing said about Savages regime....and he did over pay. Let's face it, C-town ain't a great place to be in December. The economy aint that great either....BUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

...We're not Detroit!

What's funny is Florio just hates the browns and tries to put out negative things about them. 9/10 of the comments below this and the other browns hate articles say the exact same thing.

He STILL brings up the bus ride, like anyone gives a shit about that.

What's really funny is that the story came up from an agent that steered his client away because the Browns are up against the cap and don't have room for an over-the-hill FA looking for his last fling at a ring. Also, would you push your client who is at the end of his career to a team that is rebuilding, expecially knowing that he wouldn't be in their plans next year?

The whole story is BS to a point. Agents are looking for guaranteed money and security for their clients which makes them money. It has nothing to do with Cribbs or any discontent on the Browns. It has to do with a team that isn't willing to sign veteran players to guaranteed salary for the whole season and only willing to sign them on a weekly basis.

The overall perception in the NFL is the Browns are a first class organization and Lerner takes care of his players. They just aren't very good at this point Honestly, how many veterans out there, looking for a team to play for, do you think could come in and be part of the Browns future?

I've looked at the waiver wire and haven't seen any that knock my socks off.

Know I can see Shaun Smith's agent and Hood's agent dissing the team, but then again who cares.

Look at it this way..who wants to play for Al Davis after what he did for Marcus Allen. There are other coaches, Gm's ect..some players don't want to play for... There are plenty of guys who would gladly come to cleveland. Also if we actually start winning... that counts for a lot.. First we need to get that part straightened out.

What's funny is Florio just hates the browns and tries to put out negative things about them. 9/10 of the comments below this and the other browns hate articles say the exact same thing.

He STILL brings up the bus ride, like anyone gives a shit about that.

Exactly, and most don't know that Mike Florio is a bandwagon Stoolers fan so how else is he going to act towards the Browns..

There were similar rumbles in the media during Mangini's tenure with the Jets. It didn't, however, seem to affect the Jets' ability to acquire high profile players (i.e. Faneca, Jenkins, Pace) when they went on a $100 million+ spending spree for the 2008 season.

LOL. There is typically only ONE thing that scares away FA's - less money.

Guest Aloysius
There were similar rumbles in the media during Mangini's tenure with the Jets. It didn't, however, seem to affect the Jets' ability to acquire high profile players (i.e. Faneca, Jenkins, Pace) when they went on a $100 million+ spending spree for the 2008 season.

I was kind of surprised that Damien Woody bashed Mangini. He was part of that $100M+ spending spree (he got a 5 year, $25.5 deal).

I was kind of surprised that Damien Woody bashed Mangini. He was part of that $100M+ spending spree (he got a 5 year, $25.5 deal).

Yeah, that was a bit jarring in light of the fact that he was very sympathetic to Mangini when he got fired as evidenced by this quote:

Mangini also had the respect of his players.

"I still feel bad," Jets tackle Damien Woody said. "I just feel like there's no reason this team shouldn't be in the postseason right now.

"He shouldn't have gotten fired. As players, we let him down. We didn't play our best ball down the stretch. We had everything in our control, and we let it slip away from us."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/tag/_/name/damien-woody

I probably sound like a Mangini apologist (and it's definately not a good time to be one after the Jekyll & Hyde showing by the Browns) but many players recently changing their tunes seem like the case of "blame everything on the previous guy". I see plenty of that in my own team's message boards.

We're not overpaying for FAs because the head coach is a jerk, we're overpaying because we're not a winning team and we have staph running rampant in the training room.

Look at the Pats, Bill is the biggest douche in the NFL and people line up to play in NE.

You win and everyone wants to be a part of you.

Mangini will need to build from scratch until he proves that he runs a winning operation then the loser bums will line up10 thick agents approval or not...the fewer puke bags we pick up at inflated prices the better as long as we get enough to keep the roster full..since these below to mediocre rejects rarely have much more talent then the other ones it dont really matter much which ones are picked they serve a temporary role...

This is not news.

Exactly - everyone already knows no one wants to play for the Browns. In many cases that has nothing to do with Mangini.

Everything's going exactly to plan for Mangini. He learned from Belichick that the path to coaching success involves being fired as the Head Coach of the Browns. Mangini is WAY ahead of schedule.

Randy Lerner must be so pleased.

The weather,the talent level,the fans,the recent history of suckitude, the No fun style of the program and the coach! Yes I believe the story, it hasn't changed and won't change until we are winning division titles again. Period! Same thing said about Savages regime....and he did over pay. Let's face it, C-town ain't a great place to be in December. The economy aint that great either....BUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

...We're not Detroit!

I'm sorry I roll on the ground laughing at those youtube vids...fkn hysterical IMO...stiill chucklin

Archived