THE BROWNS BOARD

King on Quinn

We need Tom Tupa

Sorry, Lum

This was the same kind of gameplan the Patriots used early in Tom Brady's tenure in 2001 and Matt Cassel's this year. Don't force any shots downfield. Take what the defense gives you. If not for a Winslow fumble at the Denver 38 with 13 minutes left -- the Browns' only turnover of the day -- and the strange play-calls in the final minute, Cleveland almost certainly would have scored more. And what more can you ask from your offense, particularly with a first-time starting quarterback, than 30 points and 399 yards?

Quinn led scoring drives of 59, 62, 20, 45, 64 and 78 yards. He never looked frenetic or tight, though he made three or four poor throws to open receivers. He had no trouble with the play clock, executed the plays sent in by Chudzinski without changing many, escaped the occasional blitz deftly without being sacked, and, in general, was the bright spot in yet another nightmarish 2008 ballgame.

Full article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1

Sorry, Lum
This was the same kind of gameplan the Patriots used early in Tom Brady's tenure in 2001 and Matt Cassel's this year. Don't force any shots downfield. Take what the defense gives you. If not for a Winslow fumble at the Denver 38 with 13 minutes left -- the Browns' only turnover of the day -- and the strange play-calls in the final minute, Cleveland almost certainly would have scored more. And what more can you ask from your offense, particularly with a first-time starting quarterback, than 30 points and 399 yards?

Quinn led scoring drives of 59, 62, 20, 45, 64 and 78 yards. He never looked frenetic or tight, though he made three or four poor throws to open receivers. He had no trouble with the play clock, executed the plays sent in by Chudzinski without changing many, escaped the occasional blitz deftly without being sacked, and, in general, was the bright spot in yet another nightmarish 2008 ballgame.

Full article:

Fantastic summary. The upside of all of this is its the start of something special.

I just wish we could have won.

If:

-we stop them on 4th and 1,

-B-Mac catches one of the two INT's that came his way,

-Winslow didn't jump on the completion to BE on the Bronco 19 yd-line,

-Winslow doesn't fumble away the last drive,

-Winslow catches the last 4th and 1,

then we could have had it. Its a team game though. The DA fans may be thinking "welcome to our world", but the difference is Quinn turned in a solid performance with a QB rating of 104 and no INT's.

BUT, if fruits and nuts...

I also wish we would have traded DA to Dallas for their 1st and 3rd.

I also wish we would have traded DA to Dallas for their 1st and 3rd.

Yinz had a chance to trade DA to the Cowgirls for a 1st and 3rd and didn't take it' date=' or are you just blowing smoke?

.[/quote']

I think it was the Cowboys. There was something about Phil thought he caught them in some deal that involved Baltimore which would follow the Cowboys-Browns transaction. Some crap about a team in our division getting something we don't want them to have...

I need help to recall the details.

Guest Aloysius

Savage mentioned the possibility of it happening in the press conference after he signed DA to a long-term deal, so it seems like he thought the rumors were credible.

Guest Aloysius

Actually, I don't think it was two #1's. I remember the story being that Dallas would give up a 1st and and a 3rd for DA, then ship him to Baltimore for the 8th pick in the draft.

That way, Baltimore could get its supposed-franchise QB without giving up a 1st and a 3rd for him or being forced to trade up to get Matt Ryan. And Jerry Jones would have gotten himself a little closer to being able to draft Darren McFadden, the guy he really seemed to covet.

To me, that seems like a logical scenario. And Phil's mentioning a concern that some team would sign & trade DA seems to confirm that there was something to those rumors.

Actually, I don't think it was two #1's. I remember the story being that Dallas would give up a 1st and and a 3rd for DA, then ship him to Baltimore for the 8th pick in the draft.

That way, Baltimore could get its supposed-franchise QB without giving up a 1st and a 3rd for him or being forced to trade up to get Matt Ryan. And Jerry Jones would have gotten himself a little closer to being able to draft Darren McFadden, the guy he really seemed to covet.

To me, that seems like a logical scenario. And Phil's mentioning a concern that some team would sign & trade DA seems to confirm that there was something to those rumors.

I still don't know if I believe what Phillip said, although it makes sense. He certainly didn't want to see him go back to Bmore where he stole him from and take off, but at the same time, I think he maybe conjured this stuff up as an excuse to make him his guy.

It's certainly a monumental blunder even if it is revisionist history at this point.

Guest Aloysius
It's certainly a monumental blunder even if it is revisionist history at this point.
Oh, I agree 100%.

When I saw Andra Davis blitz straight at Jay Cutler, only to stutter step his way out of a sack, I couldn't help but think, "Curtis Lofton would have destroyed Cutler."

If a team had signed DA from under the tender, or even if we had traded him for two 2nd's, we'd be in a much better position right now.

Oh, I agree 100%.

When I saw Andra Davis blitz straight at Jay Cutler, only to stutter step his way out of a sack, I couldn't help but think, "Curtis Lofton would have destroyed Cutler."

If a team had signed DA from under the tender, or even if we had traded him for two 2nd's, we'd be in a much better position right now.

In defense of Davis, he got held big time on the 4th down conversion run by that Arena League back, although the way he blew by Cutler I don't know if he makes the tackle anyway.

We have horrendous tacklers on this team Al, especially in the open field.

Guest Masters

Sticking with the article, I just loved the opening. Again, like BQ's presser, said a lot about this guy (and why he seems to be an actual leader).

"A few minutes after midnight this morning, new Cleveland starting quarterback Brady Quinn wrapped up his postgame media duties and got ready to leave Cleveland Browns Stadium. Before he did, he lightly slammed his fist on the Browns' locker-room door, a symbolic gesture that matched the mood of his team, and his city.

"I will not sleep tonight," he said in a voice barely above a whisper."

and of course this one:

"Forget that," the uber-polite Quinn snapped an hour after the game. "A bunch of people said that to me after the game. You know, 'Nice game,' or 'Congratulations.' For what? We lost. I didn't do enough. I told the guys after the game, 'This is on me. This one's flat on me.'

"Right now, I want to explode."

Sorry, Lum

Full article:

Again, playing devil's advocate here, but how many reviews of our previous games' losses could start with, "If not for...," (insert any one of Edward's dropped passes, for example.)? I mean seriously, its ridiculous to give one guy a "break" on a loss because of one mistake from his supporting cast, but not do the same for the other (who has seen WAY more than his fair share of mistakes from his cohorts.) Hardly "fair and balanced" reporting.

My $0.02...

Guest Masters
Sorry, Lum

Full article:

Again, playing devil's advocate here, but how many reviews of our previous games' losses could start with, "If not for...," (insert any one of Edward's dropped passes, for example.)? I mean seriously, its ridiculous to give one guy a "break" on a loss because of one mistake from his supporting cast, but not do the same for the other (who has seen WAY more than his fair share of mistakes from his cohorts.) Hardly "fair and balanced" reporting.

My $0.02...

Oh, there is no free pass. One could throw out that drop, the fumble the series before by Winslow, BMAC (take your pick of bad plays by him)etc. It's not usually one play. But Quinn did his job when the game was on the line the first time and the second. He certainly didn't throw a pick 6 (see DA in both BALT games) or start going 3 and out in the second half.

The best part in that article is Quinn doesn't give him self a break for the loss. Instead he takes is all on himself.

And at least for me, I have never said if BE had caught X pass. The closest you'll get from me is "if the QB didn't throw that pick 6 in crunch time". Which unfortunately has had to be said to many times.

idealistically, but then again we could have a couple more beau bells hanging around inactive or maybe some more question marks to mull over for the next 3 years.

but i think i know what you're saying. icon_e_wink.gif

Quinn did his job when the game was on the line the first time and the second. He certainly didn't throw a pick 6 (see DA in both BALT games) or start going 3 and out in the second half.
so Denver and Baltimore's defenses are identical and interchangeable then? to balt's credit they are the #1 D in the NFL, play us twice a year, they watch us intently inside the division, they're the former Browns fwiw, and Cam Cameron handed them Chud's gameplan. denver had 15 minutes, notre dame and preseason film to prepare with. don't take this the wrong way, but talk about comparing apples and cookies!

Guest Masters

Quinn did his job when the game was on the line the first time and the second. He certainly didn't throw a pick 6 (see DA in both BALT games) or start going 3 and out in the second half.

so Denver and Baltimore's defenses are identical and interchangeable then? to balt's credit they are the #1 D in the NFL, play us twice a year, watch us intently, they're the former Browns, and Cam Cameron handed them Chud's gameplan.--denver had 15 minutes and notre dame and preseason film to prepare with. don't take this the wrong way, but talk about comparing apples and cookies!

Oh they aren't. But to that same token, DA has preped for BALT 4 times now. And no matter how good the D is, it never excuses either critical picks in the BALT game. It wasn't like they were simply great plays by the D. That is more where I am going with it. When the D makes a great play to beat you, you tip your hat. When the QB gift wraps plays for the D, it is on the QB.

We all have to wait and see how Quinn does against better D's.

touche, i'll give you that. but then consider this: in Suggs post game interview he said before that pick 6 play he watched the QB (DA) have a conversation with the RB (JW) and figured the RB was gonna get the ball. when Jason moved out to block Suggs just watched, read it, and snatched it from him.

how about when you know the ball is coming to you and the O-line has the blocks under control you turn the fuck around and catch the friggin ball!!

i understand Wright was trying to sell the play.

i understand the play was still developing.

i know derek had someone in his face and had to do something with it and gunning it to a guy with his back turned isn't ideal no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

still, that was a VERY heads-up play by an elite outside linebacker who saw something and went with it---and it payed off big.

this ain't college, obviously, you can't wait that long before you look for the rock. Wright didn't even know what happened, and that's pathetic when the play is coming to you.

not excusing DA but if you want to put that on someone it's not all on the QB. it's a combination of poor split-second decision-making by DA, a steller play by a LB, and a total whiff by Wright.

Guest Masters
touche, i'll give you that. but then consider this: in Suggs post game interview he said before that pick 6 play he watched the QB (DA) have a conversation with the RB (JW) and figured the RB was gonna get the ball. when Jason moved out to block Suggs just watched, read it, and snatched it from him.

how about when you know the ball is coming to you and the O-line has the blocks under control you turn the Fissle-stick around and catch the friggin ball!!

i understand Wright was trying to sell the play.

i understand the play was still developing.

i know derek had someone in his face and had to do something with it and gunning it to a guy with his back turned isn't ideal no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

still, that was a VERY heads-up play by an elite outside linebacker who saw something and went with it---and it payed off big.

this ain't college, obviously, you can't wait that long before you look for the rock. Wright didn't even know what happened, and that's pathetic when the play is coming to you.

not excusing DA but if you want to put that on someone it's not all on the QB. it's a combination of poor split-second decision-making by DA, a steller play by a LB, and a total whiff by Wright.

But where is the QB not catching what Suggs is doing. If the play isn't there, DA should do what he is good at when throwing to RBs, but it on his feet or over his head. That was right to Suggs. Personally, I expect heads up plays from my QB. I mean, he is suppossed to be "smarter" than a LB. Never would I take away that Suggs did make a good play. But that's not one of those "you got me there" ones by the defender. Right or wrong, the QB shoulders the blame. In the scheme of things, that play is just one in many for DA where you just go huh. Which is why he is on the bench now.

i can agree to an extent masters. can we put a little on JW too? QB is such a hard and fast position i try to give some concessions. that whole play sucked.

as DA sat there on his butt in the middle of the stadium that moment was probably pretty surreal--like his life passing before him. i felt bad for the guy. but hey, it did happen.

Guest Masters
i can agree to an extent masters. can we put a little on JW too? QB is such a hard and fast position i try to give some concessions. that whole play sucked.

as DA sat there on his butt in the middle of the stadium that moment was probably pretty surreal--like his life passing before him. i felt bad for the guy. but hey, it did happen.

Oh, some certainly goes on JW as well. The funny thing with him is it seems like there are a good number of misque plays with him, that even I wonder if he is sometimes the problem.

Archived