THE BROWNS BOARD

Has The Winslow Trade Hurt Quinns Development?

ITHIKA

It's particularly effective against zone-blitz schemes where linemen and backers are pressed into coverages generally reserved for safeties, or at least those more fleet of foot. This is why, over the years, the Patriots, and even the Jets a couple of years ago, have given the Steelers such problems.

Great post.

So you're saying crossing patterns with TE's and WR's limit the effectiveness of zone blitz when those fatties drop back?

Also, what I think you're saying is the outside receivers push the vertical routes and open up the middle of the field because slower TE's lumber into the middle, which by that point the Safeties have neglected because of the speed on the outside? A faster TE attracts more attention for the deep S in that coverage?

I get that cover 3 leaves the flats (at least one flat) open, and can be beat with flooding the seams with multiple recievers. Either that or a circle route by the Back.

What I am not sure about is what beats the zone blitz, and it seems you're saying 1) criss-crossing patterns in the middle, and 2) the TE leaking out into the zone over the LB and under the deep S in the middle.

Well actually thats the story for all losing teams.

We have not been able to impose our will in either the running or passing game since we've been back. We haven't had an identity on either side of the ball because of all the changes.

It would be nice to have one of the 4 fooking phases - running the ball, stopping the run, passing the ball, stopping the pass - where we dominate, where teams know that shit isn't happening.

We just played a team strong in 3, and possibly 4, and people are surprised we didn't have a great showing.

We have not been able to impose our will in either the running or passing game since we've been back. We haven't had an identity on either side of the ball because of all the changes.

It would be nice to have one of the 4 fooking phases - running the ball, stopping the run, passing the ball, stopping the pass - where we dominate, where teams know that shit isn't happening.

We just played a team strong in 3, and possibly 4, and people are surprised we didn't have a great showing.

At times i was impressed. Consistancy should be a priority, we can all sit back and wish for it but the players need to make it happen.

Great post.

So you're saying crossing patterns with TE's and WR's limit the effectiveness of zone blitz when those fatties drop back?

Also, what I think you're saying is the outside receivers push the vertical routes and open up the middle of the field because slower TE's lumber into the middle, which by that point the Safeties have neglected because of the speed on the outside? A faster TE attracts more attention for the deep S in that coverage?

I get that cover 3 leaves the flats (at least one flat) open, and can be beat with flooding the seams with multiple recievers. Either that or a circle route by the Back.

What I am not sure about is what beats the zone blitz, and it seems you're saying 1) criss-crossing patterns in the middle, and 2) the TE leaking out into the zone over the LB and under the deep S in the middle.

JJ has always had this theory----well, more fact than theory. We used to talk about it on Nav's board. The flats are vulnerable with them and you can pound them all day with it. The key is having a QB that can consistently complete the pass, receivers to catch it and you have to negate the occasional jump route.

If you can execute this you can own them, but you have to avoid penalty killing drives and TO's.

Spread them wide, intermediate and deep in all three zones and flood the flats. It's been the same way for years on how to beat them, but we've been busy watching DA go 3 and out on them. It takes hardcore execution but good game planning and talent can do it. I just don't understand why more teams don't do it.

Great post.

To your first question (and part of the fourth), what I'm saying is if you attack the middle of the field at multiple levels it causes problems for zone blitz schemes. What happens is you have guys, who aren't particularly gifted in coverage anyway, trying to make quick decisions about who to pick up while they're sprinting toward their drop spot. It complicates things. I don't mean to over-simplify. It's not like, "Hey, just do this and you can beat the Steelers." It's not that easy. But those types of combinations do cause problems for those types of schemes.

The zone blitz is generally a 4 or 5 man blitz package. And, you'll usually some sort of rotation. Lots of single high, and robber looks attempting to cut off hot slants and hook routes by running defenders through the passing lanes. So it ends up looking 3 over / 3 under or 2 over / 4 under. But often times, in order to fill the passing lanes, the inside defenders - usually LBs, but often DEs & DTs - have to sprint away from the line of scrimmage. Where the Patriots are gifted is in getting that defender to alter his path either by someone hitching up in his line of site, or sending a TE looping over top of him - then running a second receiver through the vacated area. They literally target an area where there is supposed to be a defender, knowing that the cross action, or misdirection will move him. They basically give him two choices, and they're both wrong. That's why they call it a trap route (or "trap combination").

I'm wouldn't say that this approach "beats" a zone blitz. It's just an approach that's more difficult for that type of defense to react to correctly.

Now, on your second question, yes, that's pretty much what I'm saying. If you can press the safeties deeper, you've got essentially two levels of defenders moving further apart. That should create a gap either in front of or behind the first level. That's a gross over-simplification on my part. But that's the theory.

As far as cover 3... I'm not sure I'd agree with that. There's no particular reason that a cover 3 would necessarily leave a flat uncovered. I mean, it could. But it doesn't have to. It simply means that the deep thirds are being covered by 3 players responsible for a third each. You could have as many as 4 or 5 defenders underneath, which is more than enough to cover the flats. Indeed multiple seam routes are one approach to three-deep coverages as long as their spaced well enough. But in the event of straight cover 3 zones you'd likely want to settle into the gaps and try to complete the short and midrange stuff over and between defenders. Typically, if you can get inside position from an outside receiver away from the rotation you can hit that seam. For instance if the strong safety plays the underneath zone, and the Free Safety has the deep third, you can hit that back side 9 route or skinny post if the X receiver can get a clean release. The safety is rolling away from him and the corner is usually holding the downfield position.

Well, that either cleared things up or complicated them irreparably. This is why my wife doesn't talk football with me.

-jj

This is why my wife doesn't talk football with me.

-jj

I am guessing she tuned you out by the end of the first paragraph :lol:

STO should hire you for anyone of their Browns report shows. Those things are terrible and don't have a person with a clue on them.

I am guessing she tuned you out by the end of the first paragraph :lol:

STO should hire you for anyone of their Browns report shows. Those things are terrible and don't have a person with a clue on them.

Problem is 90% of the people wouldn't understand it. Maybe Shaun Smith can come back and diagram some plays with crayon.

Problem is 90% of the people wouldn't understand it. Maybe Shaun Smith can come back and diagram some plays with crayon.

Probably true. Every time I turn it on I feel I got dumber just for watching 5 minutes of it.

Well, that either cleared things up or complicated them irreparably. This is why my wife doesn't talk football with me.

-jj

Outstanding man, really. The more you write the more I learn. I figured the more I ask you the more I bait you into explaining what's inside your head. Thanks for taking the time.

Archived