Browns-Broncos: 10 observations By Matt Williamson

Scouts Inc. Cleveland at Denver

When: 4:15 PM ET

Watch: CBS

Preview

More scouting reports: Week 2

Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

QB RB WR OL DL LB DB ST Coach

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Browns-Broncos matchup.

1. Wrap up WR Eddie Royal: Royal is often compared to Wes Welker in Josh McDaniels' passing attack, but the truth is that Royal is much faster than Welker and can get deep if he has to. Royal will mostly be used on quick screens and other quick-hitting routes. He can nickel and dime a defense to death and is very good after the catch. Cleveland has to limit the damage he does and get him on the ground quickly after the reception. Denver must make a point to get Royal more involved this week.

2. Keep contain: Led by LT Ryan Clady, Denver is exceptional with their perimeter run blocking. It is imperative for the Browns' 3-4 outside linebackers to keep contain and funnel the action back inside for their inside linebackers to clean up. If the outside guys are unable to secure the edge, big runs should ensue.

3. Pound the rock: Jamal Lewis ran hard and looked relatively spry in Week 1 against a very stout Minnesota defensive front. Backup James Davis is banged up a bit, but that shouldn't keep Cleveland from staying patient with the ground attack.

4. Excel in sub packages: The Broncos will usually operate out of three- and even four-wide-receiver sets. This obviously will challenge the Browns' sub package defenses. Their secondary isn't particularly deep, which is a major concern in a matchup such as this. However, Denver did turn over the ball far too often this preseason and there appear to be obvious growing pains with this passing attack.

5. Matchup to watch: Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil vs. Browns LT Joe Thomas: Thomas is one of the elite left tackles in the game, but he is also very tall and could struggle with leverage against the much shorter Dumervil. Dumervil plays the game very low and shows exceptional quickness off the edge. Their skill sets are vastly different, so this should be an excellent individual confrontation.

6. Restrain Shaun Rogers: Rogers can be a man among boys when he is on top of his game and has a massive size advantage against the interior of the Broncos' smaller offensive line. If Denver tries to run right at Cleveland's nose tackle, they will have little success. But if they are able to get him moving laterally and cut out his legs at times, running lanes could appear. Rogers is also fully capable of collapsing the pocket on any passing play. Compounding matters, starting OG Chris Kuper (ankle) probably will not play. Rogers often had his way with Minnesota C John Sullivan last week.

7. Shut down Braylon Edwards: Edwards is the only true big-play threat on Cleveland's offense. Forcing Cleveland to sustain offense and forge long drives will be very difficult on the Browns, but giving up the big play to Edwards may be more than Denver can overcome. However, Brady Quinn does seem very reluctant to throw downfield.

8. Rattle Brady Quinn: Quinn doesn't have a lot of NFL starting experience and facing a 3-4 defense, like the one that Denver runs, is often confusing. Denver is stronger in their secondary than they are up front, so expect them to put faith in their cover men by coming after Quinn in the passing game and keeping the bulk of their defense near the line of scrimmage. The Broncos did register four sacks last week in Cincinnati.

9. Contain Josh Cribbs: Cribbs may be a factor on offense and surely will take some direct snaps from the quarterback position, but he is most dangerous as a return man. Cribbs has a tremendous combination of tenacity, speed and elusiveness once he fields a kick. It what may prove to be an ugly game, a special-teams play might be the difference in a win or loss.

10. Matchup to watch: Browns WR Braylon Edwards vs. Broncos CB Champ Bailey: With a new coaching staff in Denver, it is tough to predict if the Broncos will choose to have Bailey shadow Edwards, but it would be a logical move as the Browns really only have Edwards as a true difference-maker in their receiving corps.

Prediction

Cleveland 10

Denver 17

They give Edwards too much credit, the guy is very talented for sure, but we have other players that have just as much talent, I dont know why the Media sees that Jerome Harrison has fallen off the map, he had a great year with limited touches and he will play sunday.

This Sunday is the day we see if our new OC is worth a dime (pun intended) Because with injuries strewn about our backfield, we need to play a good passing game, put furrey and Robiskie in the game for christ sakes, as im sure they can catch the ball better than royal.

That mightve been our biggest sin this past game, Furrey diddnt see the field until the second half, and he has the best hands on the team, as well as the best chemistry with Quinn as we saw this preseason we needs to consistently come out with Edwards Cribbs and Furrey on 2nd and 3rd down

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=290920007

1. Wrap up WR Eddie Royal: I think this goes to the Browns, with the way Orton has been leading Eddie into defenders I don't think it will be that much of a challenge, though he could still be dangerous from a YAC standpoint on the short outside routes.

2. Keep contain: Kuper being out really helps you guys on this one, our run blocking up the middle and on the edge has not looked anywhere near what I am acustomed to. I think it depends on who McDaniels decides to give the ball to. If Moreno gets an increased workload, and is up to the hype, it could tip the balance towards Denver on this one.

3. Pound the rock: I am very impressed with our turnaround on D, particularly in run stopping, another in favor of the Broncos in my opinion.

4. Excel in sub packages: Among many other factors is Ortons finger/brace/glove, advantage Browns.

5. Matchup to watch: Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil vs. Browns LT Joe Thomas: Good to see a national outlet giving JT the props he deseves. Doom is making significant progress, but I still think this battle at this point in time goes to the Browns.

6. Restrain Shaun Rogers: Once again Kuper makes the difference here, advantage Browns.

7. Shut down Braylon Edwards: I think we have three CB's capable of containing Braylon, add in Dawkins to lay some wood, and I think this goes advantage Denver.

8. Rattle Brady Quinn: I don't think Quinn will rattle easily. Inexperience, and bad reads as a result ending in a few turnovers I can see, shaking a guy who played through with a broken hand, not so much. Advantage Browns (though I do think we will get some pressure on him).

9. Contain Josh Cribbs: I have already noted elsewhere Cribbs is a playmaker, advantage Browns.

10. Matchup to watch: Browns WR Braylon Edwards vs. Broncos CB Champ Bailey: Advantage Broncos (he kinda listed this one twice, guess he was running out of ideas)

I score the total at advantage 6/4(3 if you count the shutdown BE/CB vs Be as the same thing) for the Browns based on this breakdown.

Prediction

Cleveland 10

Denver 17

I don't think this tells the whole story though, I think this game WILL be a dink/dunk game on both sides, and that as a result many other recievers will be involved. I think the depth of the Broncos with Marshall, Stokely, Scheffler, Graham, and Hillis all being very credible recieving threats will make the difference in a very close hard fought battle. I am going to go with 16-13 Broncos on a Prater kick at the end of the last drive.

I want to see furrey utilized alot more than he was last week.

Me too, starting him this week. And he will, cause champ will be on BE and their LB's suck. Slants all day.

I think the Browns are gonna end up very strong against the pass this year based on a young defensive backfield that's growing up nicely... and a newfound pass rush thanks to Rob Ryan and Kam Wimbley. Plus, Kyle Orton blows ass.

I believe the Browns defense is better than the Bengals, and with the exception of an answered prayer that probably should have been a game ending interception, the Broncos did virtually nothing against the Bengals. I don't see many points on that side. They ran 20 times for 75 yards... against Cincinnati.

The bigger mystery for me is how the Browns offense will fare. I just don't know. But my biggest note is the call for more Furrey (one of the mysteries of the first half last week)... and some screens (another mystery).

Exactly shep.

I hope we start rolling on Offense. We need run the ball and control the clock. If we do that I think we win. But if we are in panic mode and have quinn trying to win us a game..... We are in trouble. And Denvers D looked pretty damn good against the Bengals.

My prediction is

Browns 16 (3 field goals and a td sounds about right)

Denver 13

I think there will be more points scored than you think. I think that Quinn throws 2 TDs, Cribbs returns one again (punt or kick...doesn't matter), and Dawson hits 2 FG's. I think Denver comes out fighting hard at home and scores 2 TD's and 3 FG's. Final Score...Browns win 27-23. Remember...this Broncos team is not much different than they were in Brady's first start last season. He put up 30 there. And our offense is going to depend heavily on the pass on Sunday. Brady will have confidence because of his start last season and it will spill out to other guys on the field. Harrison could play a major role also.

They give Edwards too much credit, the guy is very talented for sure, but we have other players that have just as much talent, I dont know why the Media sees that Jerome Harrison has fallen off the map, he had a great year with limited touches and he will play sunday.

This Sunday is the day we see if our new OC is worth a dime (pun intended) Because with injuries strewn about our backfield, we need to play a good passing game, put furrey and Robiskie in the game for christ sakes, as im sure they can catch the ball better than royal.

That mightve been our biggest sin this past game, Furrey diddnt see the field until the second half, and he has the best hands on the team, as well as the best chemistry with Quinn as we saw this preseason we needs to consistently come out with Edwards Cribbs and Furrey on 2nd and 3rd down

If they want to think BE is a threat by all means lets let them think that but i dont think an average defense needs to keep more than 1 guy on BE most of the time and have a roaming safety keep within leaping range when its obvious BE is the target...he isnt that good really he is overrated imho but he is welcome to prove me wrong...;)

I have to assume MoMass will be slowly replacing BE if he dont get on the ball soon...

I think BE is a threat when he is double covered and tip toeing the line with one hand behind his back. He makes that catch. when he gets wide open between the hash marks and the ball hits his chest, absolutly not a threat. The guy has shown hes a playmaker in the past. He needs to show it again soon or your right MoMass will be working his way in.

Last week the offense was geared to max protection. On many occasions they only had two receivers out on routes. I would expect to see more 3 receiver sets this week and less two TE sets.

One of the keys this week will be St Clair stepping up. He needs to show that he doesn't need a guy kept in to help him on every play. I'd like to know the number of snaps that Furrey was actually in the game last week.

I also expect to see more WildDawg with Cribbs. Especially if the RBs are banged up. Sooner or later he is going to throw the ball and I think teams realize that.

I think the Browns are gonna end up very strong against the pass this year based on a young defensive backfield that's growing up nicely... and a newfound pass rush thanks to Rob Ryan and Kam Wimbley. Plus, Kyle Orton blows ass.

I believe the Browns defense is better than the Bengals, and with the exception of an answered prayer that probably should have been a game ending interception, the Broncos did virtually nothing against the Bengals. I don't see many points on that side. They ran 20 times for 75 yards... against Cincinnati.

The bigger mystery for me is how the Browns offense will fare. I just don't know. But my biggest note is the call for more Furrey (one of the mysteries of the first half last week)... and some screens (another mystery).

I don't really agree with that. The Bengals had a good defense last year and it has only gotten better. I think they were twelfth in the league last year and I won't be surprised to see them improve.

Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins are listed as doubtful as of yesterday. The Browns are assuming they'll play.

The Browns will wear the brown pants for all road games.

Jerome Harrison is playing for the first time. Furrey says the offense is meshing now that all the starters are set. Mangini says both rookies are making major strides and will be major contributors sooner than later.

So, white jerseys and ugly brown pants!!! GREAT :huh:

Archived