THE BROWNS BOARD

San Joaquin Delta Drought

smalls1129

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=sa...le&resnum=1

The link above is just the Google search on the drought. I did it that way so everyone can decide what is the 'valid' news stories concerning it. I am just bringing this up b/c of the Sean Hannity show which spotlighted the result of shutting down the aqueducts that had 'fed' this area. They were shut down by the EPA in order to protect the smelt minnow that was getting stuck in the pumps. These are the facts has I know them. There were both Dems and Reps on the show calling for the President to do something about this (apparently he is the only one who can overrule the EPA, using something called the God clause). Allegedly there are counties in the delta that are now nearing 40% unemployment due to the barren fields not being able to be farmed.

Of even more concern could be the food 'shortage' that could result this winter. According to the report over 12% of all our countries agriculture comes from this valley. This year, obviously, that will not be the case. I am having a hard time believing that this issue is only over a minnow. My wife and I were discussing it last night and there has to be more behind this story. If not, then IMO we as American's need to help these people (the farmers) in their plight and demand something be done at once.

I heard that story. What i find baffling, is that minnows were being stuck in the filters?

Then why not simply screen the water before the pumps inlet, far enough away to avoid sucking up the minnows against the

screen?

you solve the freakin problem, you don't just shut the whole thing down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but a fine mesh screen separating at a distance the minnows from the out-take of water with it's own screen...

I wish the info was there to explain what they did to try to RESOLVE the problem, without CREATING more serious problems.

Archived