THE BROWNS BOARD

Who IS starting VS. Who SHOULD BE starting...

PlaygroundLegend

After watching the first game, Im pretty sure that we need to make some better personnel decisions.

First off, when we were playing MINN Mike Furrey did not see the light of day until late in the 3rd quarter. He played stellar this off-season and had a great rapport with Quinn. He gets us those medium gains on second and third down, he needs to see the field more. I like cribbs and all but he's not getting separation (I personally think he's more of a RB anyway) against these CB's, I DO think he's starting WR material, but he should be rotating in and out, plus that would force the defense to keep making adjustments.

On the offensive line I think womack needs to be gone, PLEASE start Hadnot, PLEASE!!! because the right side of our line is getting demolished,this is one of those times where I really wish we had Tucker

Jamal Lewis played great, but I think he needs to be limited to short yardage and goal line situations at this point in his carreer. I am one of those firm believers that Jerome Harrison can be a premier full time back in this league

As far as tight end is concerned, either Heiden better get healthy or Mangini needs to take a chance on Rucker because Royal dropped like 3 balls, that is inexcusable, if Mangini is worried about the run, then go into 2 TE formations with royal and Rucker

Barton is a great team leader and a true pro, but he has crappy stamina and should be rotated with the new Veikune to get him more reps

I see no reason why Hall is not starting, he is better than bowens, he is a threat, and a monster. He needs to be thrown in the fire to get some gametime experience with the ones

as is the common theme with BQ, lets give these guys a bit of time to gel. one game together and its apparent that womack, bowens, barton, etc. aint worth a damn (my own words)? when evaled against a very solid team......

for the sake of argument, would you feel the same if we roll in mile high and work 'em over?

I agree with Furrey.. I am with Choco also on this.. you don't make rash personelle decisions after just one game.. I agree Hall needs to be implemented.. perhaps more on passing downs.. he is not the greatest on run just yet..and i think he will get his reps.. but there is something to be said for time together to function better as a unit.. The offensive line more than ANY other part of the team operates as a unit.. time together is invaluable...you don't get better changing in and out..trust me the change is going to come when Hadnot returns.. He seems to be the best we have for LG.. I am anxious to see Harrison FINALLY on the field.. He was exciting last year and I hope he's healthy and lights up denver for some big plays

I agree with pretty much everything you said sans the Jerome Harrison comment, I used to think of the short yardage role for Jamal as well, but I really think they should just do a trishare or bishare running back system, between jamal lewis and james davis, or lewis/harrison&davis.

as for the Furrey vs Cribbs thing(made a thread about it actually here http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php...ic=6544&hl=), it seems a lot of people think that Furrey can't be a great WR just because he doesn't have dark skin..

I won't get into a discussion about who should be starting as I am certainly not qualified to make those calls, but I AM a believer in getting young players as much playing time as possible as a situation such as a blowout game (blowout EITHER way) allows. As I recall, Brady was on the field for ONE series in 2007 & you just can't develop solid young players with that kind of invisibility. For example, Brady is STARTING with less actual game experience under his belt than many 2nd year QBs, & that's a shame, making his task that much tougher...after all, clipboards don't wear pads.

I am excited about the new regime & hopefully we WILL see these young guys on the field more than we have before.

Mike

After watching the first game, Im pretty sure that we need to make some better personnel decisions.

First off, when we were playing MINN Mike Furrey did not see the light of day until late in the 3rd quarter. He played stellar this off-season and had a great rapport with Quinn. He gets us those medium gains on second and third down, he needs to see the field more. I like cribbs and all but he's not getting separation (I personally think he's more of a RB anyway) against these CB's, I DO think he's starting WR material, but he should be rotating in and out, plus that would force the defense to keep making adjustments.

On the offensive line I think womack needs to be gone, PLEASE start Hadnot, PLEASE!!! because the right side of our line is getting demolished,this is one of those times where I really wish we had Tucker

Jamal Lewis played great, but I think he needs to be limited to short yardage and goal line situations at this point in his carreer. I am one of those firm believers that Jerome Harrison can be a premier full time back in this league

As far as tight end is concerned, either Heiden better get healthy or Mangini needs to take a chance on Rucker because Royal dropped like 3 balls, that is inexcusable, if Mangini is worried about the run, then go into 2 TE formations with royal and Rucker

Barton is a great team leader and a true pro, but he has crappy stamina and should be rotated with the new Veikune to get him more reps

I see no reason why Hall is not starting, he is better than bowens, he is a threat, and a monster. He needs to be thrown in the fire to get some gametime experience with the ones

One disagreement, Harrison can't be considered a full-time back until he completes a season without being hurt. I like him and all but its premature.

Well said... we need to see our new guys in the mix more we can be a stronger team for it...it was game one and royal was the only guy mangini had in that was doing anything through the air and not having furrey/MoMass and robiskie constantly in the mix is a mistake now and for the future rucker should be rotated in as well...

We all want more harrison and heres to hoping that he has more durability than we give him credit for!

GO BROWNS!

I agree with some of the observations. I'd like to see Veikune in passing situations, where he seemed to make most of his pre-season plays. And you nailed it about our offensive line; we had no answer for their pass rush, it reminded me of the expansion years. My son's first-grade O-line holds out longer. B)

I disagree on Cribbs, I think he's under utilized at WR. Get him the ball when he's got some field in front of him and let him do his thing. I've said all along I believe they brought MoMass in to eventually replace BE, and Robo to be a reliable 2 or 3.

as is the common theme with BQ, lets give these guys a bit of time to gel. one game together and its apparent that womack, bowens, barton, etc. aint worth a damn (my own words)? when evaled against a very solid team......

for the sake of argument, would you feel the same if we roll in mile high and work 'em over?

For the offensive line, time in the line of fire is probably THE most important thing. Switching guys our every week won't work with them - they have be a team of guys that think and react together.

Whenever I've seen Olinemen interviewed, they always stress that the line is good because they work together.

I think Mangini isn't so much worried about posting a good record as figuring out who should really stay and who should go. He has a 'grace' period. I'd much rather a year of bad football followed by many years of good because the coaches weren't worried about next week, but next year or two years instead.

Problem is, there's been so much bad football of late, will we as fans give them the time?

Problem is, there's been so much bad football of late, will we as fans give them the time?

I agree this can be a problem. I think Lerner will help here and not be swayed by fan opinion. But, people should think aboiut whether Mangini's methods make sense and hang in there for a while. There is true hope with this group, give them a chance and put the bad football in the past.

I believe that Mangini will give more playing time to the rookie or newer players as the season progresses. This includes Rubinski, MoMass, Hall, Vek, Harrisson and the others. I'm not sold on Cribbs as a WR and continue to wish that we would have developed him as a DB instead. I'm for using Lewis in a "BUS-Like" role but agree that this may depend on the team we are facing. I still think we had an excellent draft with 4, maybe 5 or even 6 possible future starters. We need a couple more drafts like this before we can really feel that the team can win consistently.

Jerome will probably get his chance on Sunday with Jamal and James banged up. I watched Harrison at WAZZU. He was a hell of an RB and was arguably better than Reggie Bush. Runner up Pac-10 POY. He's underrated as a tough inside runner.

Guest ATENEARS
Jerome will probably get his chance on Sunday with Jamal and James banged up. I watched Harrison at WAZZU. He was a hell of an RB and was arguably better than Reggie Bush. Runner up Pac-10 POY. He's underrated as a tough inside runner.

And Harrison has proven that he can be anything but a myth of a force up the middle about as solid as Quinn has proven he can play QB in this league.

Show me, cause in the NFL I've seen too many shoe-string tackles on a back that runs parallel to the line than I've cared to witness.

I like this kid in college too ... hell, I liked Lee Suggs for that matter. But unless the OC finds a creative way to get Harrison the ball in the flat with daylight ahead of him, he hasn't been very successful at anything else.

I expect Jamal to be fine, and for him to still get the bulk of carries, but for the Ghost to actually have a large role in the offense, even having them both in when we're in the shotgun.

And yes, I believe Harrison even had more yards than Bush his senior year, IIRC?

Harrison wasnt a late round pick, I believe he was an early third rounder, he had more yards than reggie bush his senior year, and HE CAN RUN UP THE MIDDLE, sad to say I agree with Lumbergh on this one. Harrison can also break tackles. Just because he doesnt run directly into the chest of linebackers and linemen doesnt mean he can run on the inside, he has a quick first step, hits the hole and uses agility between the tackles

Archived