THE BROWNS BOARD

What I want to see / don't want to see on Sunday

Frenchie

When I watched the game last Sunday, I was hoping that the new coaching staff / more disciplined system would change some of the wrong-doings of past years (and I'm not talking about winning - just how the game is played). Here is what we've seen in past years and in week #1 that I hope is eliminated during the season as Mangini stresses the importance of his system:

1) Penalties - especially formation and off-side/illegal motion.

2) D giving up the big play with multiple mis-tackels

3) 3 and out by the O after the D has been on the field for a while

4) Turnovers by the O

5) Insufficient use of the screen play

6) Questionable and/or too predictable play calling and/or poor clock management

7) Scoring a TD from the red zone less than 50% of the time

8) Dropping passes

9) Missing assignments, routes or gaps

I actually have 10 but we did put some pressure on the quarterback last week.

Now I'm not asking for much. We can continue to lose by many points because we don't have the talent. But Mangini needs to come as close to eliminating all those items before we can consider the Browns to be a disciplined team that doesn't defeat itself.

So for week #1, I give the team a 1-on-10 improvement score. Let's see what week 2 has in store for us.

Your thoughts?

Yep those are indeed the 10 milestones that mangini needs the team to accomplish to be competitive and to set a solid foundation in place for the future...im really not so sure we currently lack raw talent as much as it is that our guys are learning a new system and lack the discipline/understanding that is needed to execute it after all mangini/daboll/ryan all have pretty much said most of the guys on this team knew very little about many of the basics of football or the current system in general when they came in...hopefully by mid season this club will have taken some huge steps and revealed that its more talented then many of us thought...

Its going to take some time ,some great coaching and a couple of drafts to get things headed in the right direction so for now we watch and hope for improved play and expect to see gains in the 10 commandments you listed...;)

Nice list.. but forget that.. all I want is a WIN.. even if it's ugly.. You really think ANY team can go a game without missing an assignment or gap? Your expectations a a little out of wack.

* I looked at your list.. It's nice to WISH for a PERFECT game.. not gonna happen.. I'll just go with the big "V" Victory

I agree an ugly win would be ok by me. The list is good too.

I'm starting to think Quinn, if successful, will start off with Rothlisburger type numbers in the beginning. 175 yards, 20 some points, 1 TD, no INT's. I don't see him turning into Drew Brees or Tom Brady in the next few games or this season.

Agreed. We desperately need to win this away game. If we lose this, we have to go to Baltiwhore and play which could potentially make us 0-3. I say this is a must win, easy, ugly, whatever. JUST WIN. Would be nice to see our OL (right side) improve. Would like to see Quinn hit some long passes and stay interception/fumble free. Like to see a lot of pressure on their QB and solid coverage by our secondary.

Lets win.

Guest ATENEARS

From the two High School football games I've attended this week, the theme has been fumbled punts or botched punt attempts.

I have this weird feeling that this may continue.

I hope to God that we are on the reciving end of bone-headed turnovers.

(If the ball is kicked over your head and inside the 15, let it go ... don't try to catch it over your shoulder on the run. trust me ... ugh)

Oh, I'm not looking for a 10/10 score. But a 0/10 or 1/10 will almost certainly lead to a loss. I understand the importance of a win - but remember, the coach of the LA Bruins who won 10 championships in a row never discussed winning. He discussed continious improvement - and the Browns need to make the same committment in these areas of mental errors and lack of execution in order to win.

Archived