THE BROWNS BOARD

POWER FOOTBALL

Sez.EJ

I'm kinda hoping for some more running plays. Right up the middle vs their banged up safety's. I want to see if Davis has the juice to be an in between the tackles tough guy or not. I know jamal can.. I hope his neck is good, cuz I expect to see a lot of that. If we make them honor the run.. the passes will be there.

Sorry guys.. I just really miss power football. I love slugging it out between the tackles and exerting your will on the other team.. watching them get tired crumble and fall as you dominate them and run the ball down their throats.. I miss the old mack, byner, leroy kelly days. That's was why I was so adamant about getting AP as our running back..LThen begging to bring in Michael Turner.. Either could have established this team in the division again.. I hope we can squeeze one more effective year out of Jamal.. but this team needs a back

That cheesy ass pop band that sang "hey now your an allstar" and other ear worms from the SHrek soundtracks forever ruined the term "smashmouth"..just the way it is .

Smashmouth has some good songs if you view them as a spoof band, kinda like Weird Al. Check out Fush Yu Mang for little known tracks like Flo, Pet Names, and Padrino. Their "hits" though can make your skin crawl, I will agree.

I'm kinda hoping for some more running plays. Right up the middle vs their banged up safety's. I want to see if Davis has the juice to be an in between the tackles tough guy or not. I know jamal can.. I hope his neck is good, cuz I expect to see a lot of that. If we make them honor the run.. the passes will be there.

Sorry guys.. I just really miss power football. I love slugging it out between the tackles and exerting your will on the other team.. watching them get tired crumble and fall as you dominate them and run the ball down their throats.. I miss the old mack, byner, leroy kelly days. That's was why I was so adamant about getting AP as our running back..LThen begging to bring in Michael Turner.. Either could have established this team in the division again.. I hope we can squeeze one more effective year out of Jamal.. but this team needs a back

Awesome post Sez! Do you remember when Kevin Mack gave Greg Lloyd a little smash mouth anesthesia? I've got some extremely fond memories of physical punishing RBs here like Mike Pruitt, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner and Leroys Hoards. Just extremely FUN stuff to watch. Droughns and Jamal had very promising first seasons with us. Maybe you're right about me over-emphasizing what Lewis had left based on the preseason. I hope you are. Age-wise he's not that old - it's more the scarring and injuries to the ankles that kept me worrying.

Keep up the good work Reverend!

- Tom F.

I think this team has that potential, but as in Romeo's time here the Browns are too quick to give up on the run. Had we seen 25 carries from Lewis & Co last week we may have kept the game under control.

I am tired of that 1 or 2 yard run up the middle on first or second down!!! It is a wasted down!!! I will throw my TV out the window if I see that play. It should only be used in short yardage situations or if you have the lead and are trying to eat clock or wear down the defense in the fourth.

It's when those runs start popping for 5-6 yards or more that it starts to wear down the defense and a back with speed can turn it into a touchdown.

I love old skool smash mouth football but we dont have the right personel or attitude...hell even our coach says nice things about his opponents and depends on sneakiness instead of saying...we are going to cram the ball down their throat and make em like it! hehehehe

Kinda makes me wish we had rex ryan as a head coach...hehehehehe

PEOPLE: This is the week!!!! Jamal still has fresh legs 'cuz it's early in the season and not much wear on him yet. Denvers front 7 has been suspect. I know they rebuilt a bit, but I'm not sure how that translates on the field yet...ANDt they are hurting at the safety.. I think we ride Jamal hard 22-27 carries this week mixed in with another 10-12 carries with the young guys... This is how we win the game this week. I think this is a week we can get 85+ yards out of Jamal.. At least for this week. I think we can play a little old school ball with the Bronco's

I really don't think the Browns have ever been a smashmouth team...even when Brown was around.

We ran the ball no doubt, and brown was a powerful back no doubt, but we have always been a team that mixes it up.

In todays era, I think we don't see smashmouth because it equals a loss more ofter than not. Tennessee might be the last of the smashmouths.

Me....I think it would be cool if we played a game where we never ran it, but in the end, whatever works to bring a win works for me.

Me....I think it would be cool if we played a game where we never ran it, but in the end, whatever works to bring a win works for me.

I don't know how cool that would be for me. I likes the smashmouth. But yea, this is a passing league nowadays.

An interesting tidbit: Only once has a team run the ball on every play of an NFL game. The Cleveland Browns, in fact...in 1950. It was the first season in the NFL for the Browns, and the NFL wanted to show them that they were no match for the NFL, so they lined them up against the reigning NFL Champion Philadelphia Eagles in the first game of the season. The Browns won, of course, 35-10. Eagles coach Earl "Greasy" Neale complained that "all they do is pass the ball." When they met again later on in the season, Paul Brown called a running play on every play of the game, and still beat the Eagles. The Browns would eventually go on to win the 1950 NFL Championship.

-Al

I really don't think the Browns have ever been a smashmouth team...even when Brown was around.

We ran the ball no doubt, and brown was a powerful back no doubt, but we have always been a team that mixes it up.

In todays era, I think we don't see smashmouth because it equals a loss more ofter than not. Tennessee might be the last of the smashmouths.

I think I would quite watching football. Trench warefare has always been "where it's at" for me with football. When I played There was nothing I loved more than the feeling of flying up to the line of scrimmage and destroying the running back in the hole. HIT HIT HIT.. You just don't get that with that passhappy crap. But that's just me. It's fun seeing long scoring bombs on pass plays and I did play WR too and running routes to defeat the defender is cool too.. But it's nothing like playing the run game.

Archived