THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini slaps player with massive fine for minibar mixup

Mr. T

Mangini slaps player with massive fine for minibar mixup

Drinking water just got a little more expensive for one Cleveland Browns player during a pre-season road trip.

A source tells Yahoo Sports' Michael Silver that head coach Eric Mangini fined a player US$1,701 for not paying for a bottle of water, worth $3, from the hotel mini-bar upon checkout.

Just to put this into perspective — the fine, which is the maximum allowed by the league's collective bargaining agreement, is equal to the purchase of 567 more water bottles.

For that price, the player in question is probably wishing he went for something a little more extravagant in the mini-bar, like cookies.

After this mishap, the rest of the team will probably be leaving the mints on their pillows behind when they vacate the hotel — just in case.

source

My take is Mangini wont put up with slackers.

My take is Mangini wont put up with slackers.

Seems a bit harsh..but I am sure there is much more to this story than meets they eye.. There could be history with the player or a statement made by the coaches about this sort of thing previously.. Never know..But that is a fat fine..wow.

Yea, I agree. There are a thousand better ways to let this player know he wasn't please with the h20 mix up. "Being a hard a$$" is one thing, being a tyrant is another. Ultimately, it will be the amount of marks in the win column that determines if Mangini is a successful Browns coach or not, so things like this may, or may not, matter too much.

Mangini is a ManGenius, pure and simple (1% inspriation 99% persperation - and that man can perspire!)

This is sure to make the players respect him... anyone not won over being forced to take a bus to Hartford is sure to develop a new found respect for him now.

What could possibly go wrong?

I think this is pretty much BS - if you check out of a hotel the bottle of water is added to you bill. If you forgot to tell them, your CC is charged. I pretty much don't buy the story at all. Probably the agent for Shaun Smith or Rod Hood. No coach is laying down that kind of fine for a $3 bottle of water. There is much more to the story if a fine was handed down, believe that.

Guest TheJokersWILD

Even the lowest guy on the roster can afford to pay a thousand dollar fine, this is like me finding to pennies in the cushion of my chair for them. And I have a reason to believe it was a starter or one of our so called "star" players because a guy on the verge of being cut everyday would not do something that stupid. I would not be suprised if it was Rogers or Edwards that did it.

Guest TheJokersWILD
Mistakenly not paying for a bottle of water is sin, but faking injury reports is a-ok.

Makes sense to me.

Regards

... an'at

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Mangini get in big trouble for that? Wasn't he fined like $25,000 dollars for that?................................Hold on

Yes right here............................

The league announced it had fined the Jets $75,000 and Mangini and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum $25,000 apiece. Mangini now coaches the Cleveland Browns

I think that's what this snippet form says from NFL.com :unsure:

I'm sorry, I just don't know where you are going with this statement, please elaborate <_<

Mistakenly not paying for a bottle of water is sin, but faking injury reports is a-ok.

Makes sense to me.

Regards

... an'at

That's your assumption. Nothing in the report indicates that. All it does is provide bits of information without context to imply that Mangini is fining a player unreasonably. But, of course to Mangini detractors, this is indisputable proof that Mangini is a tyrant/power monger/bad coach who will destroy any chance of earning respect from his players.

Without knowing all the facts, it seems to me that Mangini is simply sending a message of accountability.

As I said previously there likely is MUCH more to this story than just a mistake in paying for water. Some of you guys just jump to such amazing conclusions and ready to jump on Mangini.. You don't know what happened. Maybe it was not a mistake. Maybe this player has done this in the past. Maybe there was some team rule regarding mini bars,maybe a player took it from someone elses mini bar, fact is we just don't know what happened.

What the f*ck is wrong with people, stealing is stealing. If caught that person could do time. What does this teach younger fans.

Good Move on Mangini.

If you dont agree go to Walmart and steal a candy bar or a bottle of water.

I LOVE it when regular working folk make excuses for the behavior of millionaires. (Hey, so does the Republican party. Zing!)

Y'know what kind of people REALLY don't need educations in accountability? Millionaires. Because they're obviously so well-adjusted and grounded in the responsibilities of their money and fame.

Please. Mangini seems pretty consistent in his demand for PROFESSIONALISM from his team and players. That's what this sounds like to me.

You guys don't think stealing a $3 bottle of water is a problem? What if you were on a work trip on your company's tab and you stole some stuff?

You don't think you'd get a talking to from someone if it came to life?

Yeah, okay, there's lots we don't know and it's possible that this is an over-reaction but does anyone REALLY believe Mangini has gotten this far in his very chalenging profession by being a COMPLETE IDIOT? If you believe that, well, you know what they say about takes one...

It seems to me that whenever these things leak, it's likely from the player's reps who have a vested interest in discrediting Mangini.

Doesn't work on me. I LOVE that he takes his leadership role seriously and demands accountability and professionalism from his team ALL the time, even when -- ESPECIALLY when -- it "doesn't matter".

I LOVE it when regular working folk make excuses for the behavior of millionaires. (Hey, so does the Republican party. Zing!)

Y'know what kind of people REALLY don't need educations in accountability? Millionaires. Because they're obviously so well-adjusted and grounded in the responsibilities of their money and fame.

Please. Mangini seems pretty consistent in his demand for PROFESSIONALISM from his team and players. That's what this sounds like to me.

You guys don't think stealing a $3 bottle of water is a problem? What if you were on a work trip on your company's tab and you stole some stuff?

You don't think you'd get a talking to from someone if it came to life?

Yeah, okay, there's lots we don't know and it's possible that this is an over-reaction but does anyone REALLY believe Mangini has gotten this far in his very chalenging profession by being a COMPLETE IDIOT? If you believe that, well, you know what they say about takes one...

It seems to me that whenever these things leak, it's likely from the player's reps who have a vested interest in discrediting Mangini.

Doesn't work on me. I LOVE that he takes his leadership role seriously and demands accountability and professionalism from his team ALL the time, even when -- ESPECIALLY when -- it "doesn't matter".

Let me ask how do you steal a bottle of water from a hotel minibar? I've always thought that whatever is used from the minibar is then tacked onto your bill.

Why do i get the feeling we once again don't know even half of this story yet? Nobody is above the law but this just sounds like a poorly written story with little facts.

you must disclose any items taken....i know this as fact, as i live out of a hotel 3-4 months every year.

sure, they'll charge an additional fee for the missing items, with a hefty "service charge" to boot.

I'm a traveler also and rarely do you need to 'disclose' items, there either gone or there not. Like i said earlier we don't know what went down except for some half-cocked story by an attention starved reporter.

hammer, how a hotel deals with a missing bottle of water isn't the issue here.

The issue is NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES, don't you see?

Whether they are hotel rules, team rules or laws, the point is obviously the same: EVERYONE has to follow the rules and EVERYONE has to be accountable.

It's not the $3, it's the MILLIONS invested in these guys that Mangini is talking about.

hammer, how a hotel deals with a missing bottle of water isn't the issue here.

The issue is NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES, don't you see?

Whether they are hotel rules, team rules or laws, the point is obviously the same: EVERYONE has to follow the rules and EVERYONE has to be accountable.

It's not the $3, it's the MILLIONS invested in these guys that Mangini is talking about.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

Its a peice written by a Yahoo sports reporter going with only "a source".

What kind of credibility is that, right now i thinks its horseshit to put the story outthere and not tell us any details.

The principals you laid out are not being debated.

There is a big difference between being a father and a coach here. It's bullshit.

factual or not i like it. i hope he fines all over the place and puts all the proceeds into a kitty, like Free Parking in Monopoly, then spends it all on the community or some other worthwhile venture like tickets to combat blackouts.

seems a great way to have overpaid athletes inadvertantly contribute in a positive way, turning a negative into a huge positive. like involuntary team investment--they'll never miss the $1,700 anyway.

even if it seems nickle dime or like overreaction to some it's the message it sends=accountability.

Even if it was Josh Cribbs? ;)

he admits to coming around to Josh now after keying in on him at WR and increasing his value to the team even more but just last year Josh was pretty expendable according to our host...so probably yes, even Josh Cribbs. seems no one man is bigger than Stan's team.

Guest ATENEARS
LOL...your of massive intelligence.

Everyone thinks your a moron, so now your going to make useless posts like this to make yourself look cool.

Does anyone else view this guy as the boy on the life raft paddling in the water in Jaws?

Archived