THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs is clueless

Sez.EJ

I just saw the 3rd time on third down where Cribbs runs a pattern short of the 1st down marker. Get him out of there until he learns how to play the WR position. GOOD GRIEF.. Three times?????? and the 2nd half just started.. Oh and then fumbled.

Come on, he's the worst of our problems. As said, he's not a WR. He's, by far, our best player(or play maker I should say) out there and Mangini hardly used him.

Keeping Cribbs in the game is killing the development no Momass and Robiskie. 2 guys who have REAL receiver skills. I'll bet they can find the first down marker before they cut off thier route...

Yeah I'm pissed. He has no business being on the field. (blame coaches too) as he has no clue about playing reciever other than trying to catch the ball. His route running is like a highschooler.

Tweets from Cribbs:

- I'm embarrased about my play give me some constructive comments and I will take it with me into next game

about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck

- Thanx everybody for ur comments & constructive inputs.... I hate not being able to make the big plays for the team...u deserve better...

13 minutes ago from TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/JoshCribbs16

I think Mangini is giving Cribbs his chance so to settle the contract arguement. Cribbs is starting to sound desperate. MMass is going start soon IMO.

I need to clarify what you're saying.... I'm taking this as you think Mangini is saying, "I don't think you can play this position, but go ahead if you think you can. I'll let you fall on your face. Then when you see you can't you can shut up about a bigger contract?"

Damn, I hope you're wrong RIP. Damn I hope you're wrong.

Can you imagine if that is true?

Hell, if that's true, he may be doing the exact same thing with BQ! "Here ya go son! Go prove you can't play qb in this league! I personally don't think you're the best choice for the position, but go ahead and prove it to yourself and the world while the guy I want rides the bench!"

In order to maintain my sanity, I have to believe it's because Robiskie and Momass are rookies. While they looked decent in camp or preseason at times, they're rookies. They're not ready to play full time when it counts. Maybe the route running isn't just right. Haven't grasped the entire playbook yet.... OK, not that one!! I'm sure they have this offense memorized!! Lewis for one yard, two pass attempts for 3 yards each!!

Cribbs has been slowly digesting the offense and the WR position. Mangini sees this, and is using it as an opportunity to get his biggest impact player on the field more often. Personally I don't think he's a good WR, and I'm questioning whether all these offensive snaps where he is running 3 yard hooks is taking a toll on him and wearing him out just enough so he doesn't have a full tank when it comes to kickoff or punt returns.

Rucker, I don't know. He had an injury at some point???? Healthy now??? For whatever reason he is 3rd on our depth chart at TE. Now I like Heiden. He's not great but he's been a good TE for us for years. I don't have any loyalties to Royal. My early glimpses of him are, he's okay. Not a playmaker. He's a two catches a game kinda guy. Rucker was billed as an offensive threat. 2-time all BIG 12. Finished college career with over 200 catches. The man can catch. So I don't know why he's 3rd behind two guys over 30.

See, this is why I show up to work with vodka on my breath. :blink:

Of course he's clueless. He's NOT a WR, he's a guy learning to PLAY wide receiver.

Damn, give the guy a break and some time to develop. Although, he should be developing as a #3 or #4, IMO.

They are using him wrong. Third down back all the way. As elusive as Harrison, but he'd be a willing blocker and can break a tackle or three. He's our Leon Washington. Harrisons are a dime a dozen.

Fans are out of patience lem, you know that.

Personally, I'm not riding Cribbs. I'm glad he wants to be a WR. I'm glad he wants to be on the field and make a difference.

I just don't think it's helping us at this time. And that is not Cribbs fault, don't get me wrong. It's a coaching decision. I would rather have him at full strength for kickoffs vs. playing the underneath receiver. Face it, he's getting plenty of touches on special teams!!!!!

You're right, he IS a QB, turned special teams giant, trying to become a WR. At this time, I would rather have a rookie WR getting reps and learning how to be a WR.

glenby,

I agree - I would rather Massaquoi, Furrey, and Robiskie on the field as 2/3 with Cribbs getting some spot duty so he has time to learn.

I guess it depends on what the goal of the coaching staff is this season. I think they recognize that this team isn't very good and a lot of our talent is in doubt; this season is given over to identifying what we need and what we don't.

Right now, they are trying to determine if Cribbs can develop. If he doesn't keep progressing, he'll drop on the depth chart.

Cribbs is a playmaker. He needs to be on the field. Anytime time he touches the ball, there is a chance for something big. Hes learning the position, he needs a little time to develope. I dont care what position they play him at, he just needs the ball in his hands.

Cribs is a playmaker........................... ON SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................... not at WR

They really need to develop cribbs at safety he could replace poole immediately and do a better job with no prior experience...cribbs could be an ok WR but he is hurting the development of MoMass i was reading somewhere that robiskie and davis are both on IR...

Cribbs could not just step in and replace Brodney immediately. Just because he is big enough to do it doesn't mean he can. What gives you the impression that he can read a developing play? What makes you think he could cover a tight end? There is a big difference between making special teams tackles and playing defense.

His best shot outside of special teams is on offense. He has spent the past four years at wide receiver in the NFL and spent his college career as a quarterback. It is absurd to believe he could step in and replace a solid starter at safety. Maybe I'm wrong and he someday becomes a decent safety, but even if that does happen it sure wont be mid season just deciding, "Uh... wanna play safety?"

Come on, he's the worst of our problems. As said, he's not a WR. He's, by far, our best player(or play maker I should say) out there and Mangini hardly used him.

And he's still not being used right. If you're going to put him in the WildDawg, when in the hell are you going to let the guy throw a freaking pass? I'm sure they haven't forgotten he was a QB @ Kent State.

Guest ATENEARS

I believe the problem is that Cribbs isn't quick, but only fast once getting up to full steam. This matters hugely in the skill positions. On Punt returns, he can get motoring, finds a crease and runs through'em like he's running down hill, it ain't his Barry Sanders like moves that brings the success it his big body full speed ahead running. This can't be applied to the skill positions, he's too slow in turning his hips and darting.

I'd like to see him involved in screens, like the Colts used this past weekend. Have him catch the ball underneith coming parallel with the line, form a wall for him to cut off of and get him off to the races.

I believe the problem is that Cribbs isn't quick, but only fast once getting up to full steam. This matters hugely in the skill positions. On Punt returns, he can get motoring, finds a crease and runs through'em like he's running down hill, it ain't his Barry Sanders like moves that brings the success it his big body full speed ahead running. This can't be applied to the skill positions, he's too slow in turning his hips and darting.

I'd like to see him involved in screens, like the Colts used this past weekend. Have him catch the ball underneith coming parallel with the line, form a wall for him to cut off of and get him off to the races.

Yeah but then we'd actually have to run a screen pass.

Guest ATENEARS
Yeah but then we'd actually have to run a screen pass.

Ahh yeah ... that has been a problem since 1999, and a blame squarely on the coaching.

I hate watching other NFL games because it seems like your watching a different league. We have trouble executing the most basic plays.

Can we just hit Cribbs in-stride then? Is that too much to ask?

I just saw the 3rd time on third down where Cribbs runs a pattern short of the 1st down marker. Get him out of there until he learns how to play the WR position. GOOD GRIEF.. Three times?????? and the 2nd half just started.. Oh and then fumbled.

I saw that too... and I'd agree with you if the pattern was 1 or 2 yards shy of a 1st down. But on 3rd and 8 or longer, and he is running a 3 yard pattern. That's a play design by the OC, not a mis-read on distance needed by Cribbs.

He basically was the outlet option for Quinn, and Quinn chose to throw to him before anything else could develop.

Okay, here's the story with Cribbs.

The guy has excellent vision of his opponents in front of him. On special teams he had a panoramic view of the opposition and used his explosiveness to cut through the seams. He excelled at QB and even ran over 1,000 yards at Kent State. Why? They were in front of him. Playing WR is a completely different element because that panoramic vision is no longer there. Now Cribbs has to run precise routes, turn his back to the opponent, catch a ball, and then scope the field and use his talents. This is utilizing him so poorly.

So what position not on special teams can show Cribb's that head on view I keep repeating? His two best bets are running back or safety. Make him one and watch him shine.

He has not learned the WR position very well in 4 years.. What makes you think it won't take him even longer to learn safety ( another position he has never played).. It takes guys who actually PLAYED saftey in college a couple years to learn the position in the pro's.. What makes you believe Cribbs is so much smater or better than them? because he can make special teams tackles... I call BS .. This is just dumb..

Archived