THE BROWNS BOARD

Take Tim Couch out and put in Derek Anderson

Guest ATENEARS

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peen, why isn't he starting? You're saying you know better than the staff? Curious for your read on how they got it wrong.

Can u look at the offensive playcalling and say that they got it right ? if they can get that wrong why not this ? I mean our passing game stalled, our running game stalled what else is there ?

Serious question...DA was a 6th round pick wasn't he? How well do those guys fare?

Look, I agree that BQ is not doing it...whatever it needs to be. I'm not sure if it's him, the OC, the OL, or God only knows what else but that there is something wrong is obvious.

But seriously, if a '3rd round guy' is EXPECTED to bust, why is a 6th round guy a better option?

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, the round at where they were picked doesn't mean much.

the fact is that Quinn isn't very good so far, and I would much rather have Anderson on the field, but I also think Quinn should have a fair chance before he gets pulled off, if he's not good by the bye week, then put in anderson, trade or cut quinn, and we're on the QB search once again.

There's a lot of Lumberghian-level stupidity going on in here tonight.

It's obvious that what this team needs right now is a big-armed, scatter-shot QB to right the ship. Because he's been so good at bringing order and stability to the team in the past.

Guys, this is Quinn's 2nd start of the year. There are plenty of offensive issues, especially at RT and RB, not to mention WR and TE.

But let's keep a little perspective: it was 10-6 in the 3rd quarter, 13-6 into the 4th quarter. Think about that for a sec, those of you blowing your brains all over the board.

10-6 in the 3rd, 13-6 in the 4th.

Despite Dumervil making St. Clair look like a practice player, despite 2 AWFUL turnovers, despite the inability to run the ball AT ALL:

People: WE WERE STILL IN THIS GAME IN THE SECOND HALF.

Quinn didn't make the killer mistake. He didn't sink his team. He didn't throw the dumb pick out of frustration, he didn't throw the back-breaking pick 6, he didn't pick a fight with his WRs and kick a pylon.

Quinn didn't have a ton of positives but he did have a few really good completions and he had ZERO killer mistakes.

For those of you who actually REMEMBER last year and the end of 2007, that is a HUGE upgrade at the QB position.

Again, QB is NOT our biggest issue anymore no matter how people want to spin it.

and one can't forget that DA has had some shit games a lot worse than Quinn has dished up so far.

Uh, I think BQ game ranks up there with some of the worst QB'ing I have seen in a long time.

There was multiple times when he had time, held on to that ball, and took a sack. Now, as it has been said, either he has no confidence in his arm to get it down field, or the receivers are crap and not getting open, or Daboll is an idiot.. or it could be all 3 of those manifesting themselves in any sequence or order.

But I will say that BQ looked horrid. Had some decent throws, but did not show any guts in taking the ball and tossing it down field.

I really think the boy is afraid to fail. I really do. He so afraid IMO, that he's standing there, afraid to making a decision and throw with confidence and just dumping the ball off to his outlet receiver the 3 yards.

I saw BQ do 2 things in the first quarter that people said BQ wouldn't do or doesn't do vs. DA

1. Leave a WR to hang and dry in the open... Cribbs got hammered today..

2. Short pass Accuracy... That short pass to Furrey (I think it was furrey) on the first drive, near the goal line, was poorly thrown, no touch and a bad decision. If it had been on the mark, it probably would have been intercepted and ran for 100 yard TD. BQ displayed 3 things in this one play that so many people have bashed DA for doing. Come on guys let's get the plank out of all of our eyes.

I want the best QB on the team to start, and IMO, I'm not seeing anything from BQ that shows he has what it takes. Yes, he has only a few starts, but how many did Steve Young need? Or even Tom Brady. BQ, has had 3 years to progress with game knowledge, reading the defence, mechanics, accuracy and building confidence. But he looks like a rookie thrown in with the Lions.. I don't see anything that tells me he has done anything in the last 3 years to make him any better of a player, other than working out and keeping in shape. Good for you BQ, you got the ladys on your side, now how about win a few games.

But it's not all on BQ. So far I'm not impressed with anyone.. Coaching, players, etc., It's all garbage.. We have some talent on this team, buy my god, I am so sick of poor play calling and poor execution on eveyone.

There's a lot of Lumberghian-level stupidity going on in here tonight.

It's obvious that what this team needs right now is a big-armed, scatter-shot QB to right the ship. Because he's been so good at bringing order and stability to the team in the past.

I take it our ball controlling QB is winning us games ? instead of turning over the ball in one possession we are doing so in three. I see no difference

Guys, this is Quinn's 2nd start of the year. There are plenty of offensive issues, especially at RT and RB, not to mention WR and TE.

BE caught what was thrown his way. There was no running lane for running game. And unless we have AD im sure it will be the same story. This may be Quinn's second start, but he is showing improvement in the wrong direction. Last game the team had a better D than this one.

But let's keep a little perspective: it was 10-6 in the 3rd quarter, 13-6 into the 4th quarter. Think about that for a sec, those of you blowing your brains all over the board.

Despite Dumervil making St. Clair look like a practice player, despite 2 AWFUL turnovers, despite the inability to run the ball AT ALL:

People: WE WERE STILL IN THIS GAME IN THE SECOND HALF.

Yes we can thank the defense for that.

Quinn didn't make the killer mistake. He didn't sink his team. He didn't throw the dumb pick out of frustration, he didn't throw the back-breaking pick 6, he didn't pick a fight with his WRs and kick a pylon.

psst and he did not throw a touchdown either. Did u know from praying that we win games we have gone to praying that we get touchdowns ?

Quinn didn't have a ton of positives but he did have a few really good completions and he had ZERO killer mistakes.

Good completions but they did not come to often to help us. Bad playcalling ?

For those of you who actually REMEMBER last year and the end of 2007, that is a HUGE upgrade at the QB position.

End of 2007 we were atleast scoring touchdowns. You are talking about the Cleveland browns right ?

Again, QB is NOT our biggest issue anymore no matter how people want to spin it.

Out biggest issue has shifted from winning games to scoring offensive touchdowns. And QB is an integral part of an offense

2. Short pass Accuracy... That short pass to Furrey (I think it was furrey) on the first drive, near the goal line, was poorly thrown, no touch and a bad decision. If it had been on the mark, it probably would have been intercepted and ran for 100 yard TD. BQ displayed 3 things in this one play that so many people have bashed DA for doing. Come on guys let's get the plank out of all of our eyes.

WTF??

So how exactly is that a bad decision? To skim it onto the turf where the pick 6 wasn't a possibility? I posted a picture in another thread, but I might have to do it again. Poor play design. Have Furrey line up wider & run the slant into the middle. You put the receiver on the outside on a fade route to the corner - not a quick slant into the endzone.

IMHO, Quinn had one atrocious series that was all on him. Thats it, one. The one where he had 2 batted down at the line, and another deflected (I think Furrey was intended on that throw). Other than that, he wasn't bad. He wasn't awesome, but he wasn't bad.

Now we're talking, dan. I totally agree with this line of thinking.

I see no reason to lose conservatively. Isn't the point to move the chains and score points?

Seems to me Mangini is doing the out-smarting himself thing again by trying so hard to establish an identity he doesn't yet have the personnel for. Specifically at RG, RT and RB.

But we do have those two promising young WRs and Furrey, who have yet to do anything. If we're going to use the shotgun, why not get creative? Let's go 4 and 5 wide and see what we can do.

10 to 6 in the 3rd quarter.

We had a touchdown gift wrapped for us in the first quarter on the very first Kickoff.. Couldn't get in the endzone... It's not like the score was 24 - 21 in the 3rd quarter.. It was friggin 10-6.. Come on, what kind of perspective is that to hold onto... 2 opportunities with great field position and all we can do is pull old faithful out of the bag and have Dawson kick another one for us.. We should have been up 14 - 10. But no, we weren't because of poor play calling, a putrid OL, and a QB who played as if he had no confidence to do anything.

10 to 6 in the 3rd quarter.

We had a touchdown gift wrapped for us in the first quarter on the very first Kickoff.. Couldn't get in the endzone... It's not like the score was 24 - 21 in the 3rd quarter.. It was friggin 10-6.. Come on, what kind of perspective is that to hold onto... 2 opportunities with great field position and all we can do is pull old faithful out of the bag and have Dawson kick another one for us.. We should have been up 14 - 10. But no, we weren't because of poor play calling, a putrid OL, and a QB who played as if he had no confidence to do anything.

There you go. Great post and totally agree.

Look at the bold. Do you think the third thing might have to do with the first two? Just maybe?

WTF??

So how exactly is that a bad decision? To skim it onto the turf where the pick 6 wasn't a possibility? I posted a picture in another thread, but I might have to do it again. Poor play design. Have Furrey line up wider & run the slant into the middle. You put the receiver on the outside on a fade route to the corner - not a quick slant into the endzone.

IMHO, Quinn had one atrocious series that was all on him. Thats it, one. The one where he had 2 batted down at the line, and another deflected (I think Furrey was intended on that throw). Other than that, he wasn't bad. He wasn't awesome, but he wasn't bad.

Really, you honestly think he was throwing it away.. I don't think so.. I know the announcers said that's what he did... I don't buy it. I think he was gunning for the End Zone and made a poor pass and luckily for him it turned into what looked like a good decision. Sorry, that's how I saw it..

One thing I've already grown tired of seeing is the motioning of players BACK IN to the backfield. Royal and Vickers primarily are being assigned to do this.

I'm not quite sure what we're trying to accomplish there. I'd rather see us use different types of pre-snap motion than that. Seems like all that does is clog the box with an extra guy.

And no more play action until we've actually established the run in a game. Let Quinn drop back and throw it without having to turn his back and carry out the fake.

It just seems like we're trying to do too much window dressing and not enough football.

Uh, I think BQ game ranks up there with some of the worst QB'ing I have seen in a long time.

There was multiple times when he had time, held on to that ball, and took a sack. Now, as it has been said, either he has no confidence in his arm to get it down field, or the receivers are crap and not getting open, or Daboll is an idiot.. or it could be all 3 of those manifesting themselves in any sequence or order.

But I will say that BQ looked horrid. Had some decent throws, but did not show any guts in taking the ball and tossing it down field.

I really think the boy is afraid to fail. I really do. He so afraid IMO, that he's standing there, afraid to making a decision and throw with confidence and just dumping the ball off to his outlet receiver the 3 yards.

I saw BQ do 2 things in the first quarter that people said BQ wouldn't do or doesn't do vs. DA

1. Leave a WR to hang and dry in the open... Cribbs got hammered today..

I want the best QB on the team to start, and IMO, I'm not seeing anything from BQ that shows he has what it takes. Yes, he has only a few starts, but how many did Steve Young need? Or even Tom Brady. BQ, has had 3 years to progress with game knowledge, reading the defence, mechanics, accuracy and building confidence. But he looks like a rookie thrown in with the Lions.. I don't see anything that tells me he has done anything in the last 3 years to make him any better of a player, other than working out and keeping in shape. Good for you BQ, you got the ladys on your side, now how about win a few games.

But it's not all on BQ. So far I'm not impressed with anyone.. Coaching, players, etc., It's all garbage.. We have some talent on this team, buy my god, I am so sick of poor play calling and poor execution on eveyone.

LOL....are you freakin' serious? You OBVIOUSLY forget the number of times DA hung BE AND KWII out to dry and get nailed. And short pass accuracy? DA never met a short pass he wouldn't throw at 95mph and 5 yards over or behind the receiver. How many 4 INT games has BQ had? I'm not saying BQ was good today or even last week, but stop acting like DA is the answer, or even better for that matter.

There you go. Great post and totally agree.

Look at the bold. Do you think the third thing might have to do with the first two? Just maybe?

How BQ played today is based on all of the factors. But my God Son. Take some control of the team, be a leader and man up and try something. What frustrated me the most, is how many times he held on for way to long and didn't make a decision, other than to just get sacked. We can't see what's happening down field, but you can't tell me that all the receivers were covered almost the entire time. Great QB's thread needles and get the ball into the hands of the players. His lack of at least trying to me was the most frustrating part I think.

I watch other games and see QB's doing some great things. But yet I understand that it also takes two to tango.. Montana had Rice right? I'm not totally against BQ, but I still don't see anything out of the kid that deserves the praise and adoration that he was getting on this Board from so many people.

Right now these losses are on the entire team and coaching. There are some individual performances that just plan out stink on both sides of the ball...

Really, you honestly think he was throwing it away.. I don't think so.. I know the announcers said that's what he did... I don't buy it. I think he was gunning for the End Zone and made a poor pass and luckily for him it turned into what looked like a good decision. Sorry, that's how I saw it..

Steve Buerlein was probably just being a Domer homer when he said it. :rolleyes: But he was also a QB. He's probably made the same decision. Mechanics-wise it was weird looking, not BQ's normal motion. That's why I say he was grounding it.

LOL....are you freakin' serious? You OBVIOUSLY forget the number of times DA hung BE AND KWII out to dry and get nailed. And short pass accuracy? DA never met a short pass he wouldn't throw at 95mph and 5 yards over or behind the receiver. How many 4 INT games has BQ had? I'm not saying BQ was good today or even last week, but stop acting like DA is the answer, or even better for that matter.

How many wins and touchdowns does BQ have ? Why are they not allowing BQ to go downfield ? his best passes today were the one thrown to BE and yet we saw little of that. Why ? DA may not be the answer but he definitely opened up more running lanes.

before u misunderstand me, let me state that i have lowered my expectations from " Wins To Scoring Touchdowns" and the way i see it DA stand a better chance of connecting on a freaky long throw to BE and scoring the TD.

I didn't say DA was the answer... But DA has won games. And I think the result would have been pretty close to the same regardless of who had been in as today loss is a great example of how to lose as a team, coaching included. Mangini can't be happy with how these game are being called... can't be.

And when it comes to leading receivers open, it's not just DA either. I have seen receivers from all other teams get nailed accross the middle. That's how the game is played. I'm actually surprised that people make this a point of contention.

My point was to show that those who have said BQ won't do this or won't do that vs DA... Well, just not true.. And if you want to talk about the number of times DA has done it vs. BQ, well, that's not real fair as they haven't had the same number of starts...

BQ, if he continues to play, will have his interceptioins as well.. It happens to them all.. What matters are the "W's".

I wondered about that too, Leg. Don't know if I buy he grounded it on purpose. It's possible, I suppose.

Kidd, great post. I totally agree that Quinn seemed tentative, even when he had time. But you know, it's impossible to tell from the TV feed what he saw because we can't see the receivers downfield.

It really is possible that he's doing things RIGHT in those scenarios and it just looks bad to us on TV.

But, even if that's possible, I would like to see SOMETHING happen. That's where it comes back on Chud, er, Daboll. He HAS to find a way to get guys underneath, crossing or whatever. There just wasn't anything like that.

Once again: where the heck is Furrey?!?!

Archived