THE BROWNS BOARD

Take Tim Couch out and put in Derek Anderson

Guest ATENEARS

How many wins and touchdowns does BQ have ? Why are they not allowing BQ to go downfield ? his best passes today were the one thrown to BE and yet we saw little of that. Why ? DA may not be the answer but he definitely opened up more running lanes.

before u misunderstand me, let me state that i have lowered my expectations from " Wins To Scoring Touchdowns" and the way i see it DA stand a better chance of connecting on a freaky long throw to BE and scoring the TD.

That's exacly what I said in the chat room today. I don't necessarilly have to see wins right now... Just score me some offensive touchdowns that matter.. Last week TD was pointless and the Vikings had it pretty much wrapped up and could have cared less... We had two great opportunities today and we blew them like a cheap whore...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say DA was the answer... But DA has won games. And I think the result would have been pretty close to the same regardless of who had been in as today loss is a great example of how to lose as a team, coaching included. Mangini can't be happy with how these game are being called... can't be.

And when it comes to leading receivers open, it's not just DA either. I have seen receivers from all other teams get nailed accross the middle. That's how the game is played. I'm actually surprised that people make this a point of contention.

My point was to show that those who have said BQ won't do this or won't do that vs DA... Well, just not true.. And if you want to talk about the number of times DA has done it vs. BQ, well, that's not real fair as they haven't had the same number of starts...

BQ, if he continues to play, will have his interceptioins as well.. It happens to them all.. What matters are the "W's".

lol....my bad...I totally missed that part of what you had originally posted. I agree, it happens to all QBs.

I have no idea if Quinn is going to get better....but he needs time to show one way or the other. IF they have to go back to DA then its time for a new QB to be drafted. So they need to give Quinn the chance, for good or bad, to prove one way or the other. It would help if the play calls weren't so damned predictable and conservative to a fault.

I wondered about that too, Leg. Don't know if I buy he grounded it on purpose. It's possible, I suppose.

Kidd, great post. I totally agree that Quinn seemed tentative, even when he had time. But you know, it's impossible to tell from the TV feed what he saw because we can't see the receivers downfield.

It really is possible that he's doing things RIGHT in those scenarios and it just looks bad to us on TV.

But, even if that's possible, I would like to see SOMETHING happen. That's where it comes back on Chud, er, Daboll. He HAS to find a way to get guys underneath, crossing or whatever. There just wasn't anything like that.

Once again: where the heck is Furrey?!?!

damajuki...the first thing that came to my mind in the 1st half was that Quinn looked like he was purposely holding the ball too long, almost like he was trying too hard to not check down too quickly. I don't know if that's a result of the coaches telling him he checked down too fast against Minn and to take time for things to develop. But the whole offense needs to click better and the playcalling needs to get less predictable.

Ah Lum, you're back with the Lerner forced Quinn to start.

No comment on DA's 0 for 3 I posted in another thread? (In case you missed it: 1) unable to make a QB starved Ravens team, 2) losing a QB competition to the awful Frye, and 3) losing his job to the awful Quinn.)

Three different coaching staffs, three different GM's and two owners have passed on DA and he's the savoir why again?

Fraud.

Wow, what's it like to live in Lumberghia, where the problems of the world are caused by Brady Quinn and fixed by removing Brady Quinn completely?

Sounds like a wonderfully strange place. Like a Bizarro football world where Oregonians can make magic happen on the football field just by virtue of their being from Oregon...

I like how people are blaming the offensive coordinator and the right side of the line..... O and the best is the 2 games when these two games MIRROR HIS LAST TWO GAMES LAST SEASON..... YOU KNOW AFTER THE DENVER GAME WHERE ALL TEAMS HAD TO DO IS PLAY TIGHT DEFENSE TO TAKE AWAY HIS SHORT PASSING GAME.

Wait how about when Quinn had all day in the backfield yet still could not find anyone.... Yes the Defense fell down BECAUSE THE OFFENSE COULD NOT SUSTAIN A DRIVE...

Sure the LOS is crowded and lbs are inside the box ALL TAKING AWAY THE SHORT PASSING GAME AND MAKING RUSHING MORE DIFFICULT......

Sure this is Only his 2nd game of the year BUT THE SAME AS HIS LAST TWO AWFUL GAMES FROM LAST YEAR...... You know the ones where Defensive coordinators got tape on him AND MADE ONE ADJUSTMENT MAKING OUT ENTIRE TEAM ONE DIMENSIONAL..... I like how all the announcers talk about our anemic offensive trends..... AFTER QUINN STARTED......

I like how no brAdy backers bring up the SAME TREND IN A DEFENSE HOLDING ON AND THAN IN THE SECOND HALF AFTER THEY ARE GASSED BECAUSE THE OFFENSE OF DINK AND DUNK CANT STAY ON THE FIELD BREAK.... TWO GAMES IN A ROW BASICALLY IN THE SAME WAY....

Sure keep trying the blame the right side of the line and the offensive coordinators..... ITS BRADY AND HIS INABILITY TO THROW THE BALL WITH VELOCITY ACCURATELY....

Ok suddenly brady sucks and people talk about drafting another qb when some YOUNG qb WHO BROKE FRANCHISE RECORDS FOR BEST SINGLE SEASON HOME GAME RECORD...... is around..... O we can develop a young Brady but not DA who has ACTUALLY WON GAMES and led our offense against all kinds of defenses cant be developed.

Irish..... way to argue the points..... but than again you really cant and neither can the brady backers, ITS NOT 2 GAMES ITS 4 WITH THE EXACT SAME RESULTS.

This was DENVER you really think next week with the Ravens he is going to progress to see what he has? really?

Greythan......

FACT: ERIC MANGINI CANT BE BLAMED FOR PLAYING BQ BUT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN CRUCIFIED BY FANS WHO BUY TICKETS AND PRODUCTS FOR STARTING DA.

FACT: RAC DID NOT HAVE NORMAL COACHING AUTHORITY AND PHIL SAVAGE RAN THE TEAM

FACT: BRADY QUINN HAS ALWAYS BEEN RATED WITH AVERAGE ARM STRENGTH AND BEEN QUESTIONED ABOUT HIS DOWN FIELD ACCURACY

FACT: OUR DEFENSE HAS COLLAPSED THE SAME WAY TWO GAMES IN A ROW THAT A ANEMIC DINK AND DUNK OFFENSE CANT STAY ON THE FIELD

FACT: ANNOUNCERS USE THE TERM CHECKDOWN A BILLION TIMES WHEN QUINN IS THE QB DURING THE GAME

FACT: OUR TEAM HAS NOT SCORED A DEFENSE IN THE FIRST 3 QUARTERS OF EACH GAME THIS YEAR EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE HAD AWESOME FIELD POSITION

Sure DENVER has a GREAT defense right? and Minnesota must have a great pass defense also....

FACT: WE SUCK OFFENSIVELY EVEN THOUGHT BE CAN CATCH BALLS AND BRADY HAS TIME TO THROW BALLS....

Three different coaching staffs, three different GM's and two owners have passed on DA and he's the savoir why again?

Fraud.

because right now there are only 2 realistic QB's in the team and apparently the one on the field is not being trusted with throwing the ball, and we are struggling to get touchdowns. Oh, not to forget, if we can accuse the coaching staff of selecting the wrong plays, then cant we also accuse the coaching staff of selecting the wrong QB ?

Wow, what's it like to live in Lumberghia, where the problems of the world are caused by Brady Quinn and fixed by removing Brady Quinn completely?

Sounds like a wonderfully strange place. Like a Bizarro football world where Oregonians can make magic happen on the football field just by virtue of their being from Oregon...

if Quinn wasn't drafted we wouldn't be dealing with all this bullshit.

there wouldn't be an 8 game TD-less streak.

and the Browns wouldn't be ranked #32 in the power rankings.

but alas, BQ Nation really wanted to see BQ play.

would have had an offense today.

As opposed to that awesome DA led offense last season right - where he couldn't pass for an avg of 135.5 yards the first 4 games?

He sucked ass last season, so now it is your turn to eat the shit QB play we had to do since the 2nd half of 2007. Deal with it.

Sev, do us all a favor and quit yelling. I hate reading in all caps. Makes you look like a middle schooler.

Here's the deal: DA lost the competition. Mangini didn't have a dog in the fight. His only motivation is to win. Its the only element in his compensation package that matters: longevity. Winning equals longevity in most cases.

So, while you pine away for your anti-Quinn (I believe you'd pull for any alternative to Quinn based on your well stated biases against him) you have to face the fact that DA couldn't stave off the horrid BQ to keep his job.

Read that last sentence a few times. Seriously.

So, here's the bottom line: If Quinn continues to suck, we're in the market for a QB barring some miraculous transformation by DA. Pretty simple.

No, really, what's it like there?

From your posts, it seems very different from our world. Here in our world, the Browns drafted Brady Quinn because they needed a starting QB. We didn't have one worth mentioning, which is why Quinn was drafted in the first place.

In our world, we failed miserably last year partially because of poor QB play. Our QB last year had a penchant for throwing the ball to the other team and sometimes scoring points for them in the process. Is this how football is played where you come from? It's not how we play it here, so I was wondering.

It's interesting also how in your world, the TD-less streak is Quinn's fault, even though he didn't play in most of those games. Is that part of how things are counted in Bizarro world? Backwards and without meaning?

That would explain why you're so good at this counting you do!

Sev,

You seem awfully passionate about this and their is nothing wrong with that but whats your point?

Da is the cure all and everyone of us fans and the coaching staff are just to blind to see it?

You want the Browns to win and so do I but at some point we may have to think outside the box and get another QB from the draft or trade if this Quinn thing doesnt work out.

DA is a step backwards,this team is lacking in many areas and to be honest with you QB should be the last thing we discuss,we gave up so many 3rd and tens I wanted to punch a hole through my monitor,this team has issues and we are not going to the playoffs no matter who hikes the ball.

if handing the ball to the RB and not throwing interceptions are the only consideration for a QB then sure BQ has the advantage but apart from that BQ has done nothing to show that he deserves to lead the team. DA for all his inconsistencies can throw and any coach that does not want to take advantage of that arm (esp now when we have a non existent right tackle and no reliable RB or TE and one WR BE who can make big plays) is probably too stubborn to acknowledge the problem that exist. We are so low on the offensive play makers that we need to test any miracles that we can get.

funny no one argues any of my points.....

what happened to nfl ready and film junkie? what happened?

you want to know why I am mad? because its US who are to blame. Fans do hold some influence in terms of ticket sales, product sales, etc.....

brady brady brady ....... boo boo DA...... sound familiar?

Money is still pretty important as far as i know...... dumb ass fans screaming for some subway spokesman who has never proven squat and buying jersies..... chanting at games while the other guy actually breaks franchise records but unfortunately for him phil savage made a jump at a draft for some qb who fell past 21 other teams who all must be wrong,,,,

greythan I DONT CARE IF YOU DONT LIKE READING CAPS.....

i like your stupid argument that DA could not "win" a competition against BQ.... sure because Mangini does not have a tenous career choice after being fired once.......

Sure Rac and the Phil savage show was some sort of proven commodity of talent evaluation and implementation like New England or Pittsburgh.....

My anti Quinn stemmed from college where I thought he was a beneficiary of some media hype on Weis and thought both of them were overrated..... Seems like I was real off there lmao...... more hype than substance was my opinion..... how was bq last 4 starts? weis.... yea I dont need to even state anything there you can just say I am right.

o the "streak" one I dont care, unless you want to watch a whole lot of field goals and dink and dunk games with defenses tired because we cant sustain a drive.... which was pretty much the case AGAIN today..... or you mean that anemic offense who cant score is not BQ fault? sure

My god Sev, you come off as completely naive.

Seriously, you believe that DA would be starting if it weren't for the fans? Honestly? You really believe that Mangini in what may likely be his second and last chance to secure head coaching tenure in the NFL would base his starting QB decision on fan sentiment? Yup, that's logical as hell.

Plus, you miss the ENTIRE point that the supposed Quinn crew has been making for eons: its not about Quinn.

Again, read that sentence again a few times.

Oh hell, I'll explain.

Many of us, me included, don't believe that DA is the answer. It looks like Ozzie Newsome, RAC, and Mangini agree. Follow the logic tree here: If DA isn't the answer, what should we do? Start Quinn and see if he is. There's no other logical option based on current personnel.

If Quinn flames out (he sure hasn't done anything yet to quell that sentiment, so you may have this one right!) then we need a QB.

Again, pretty simple. Who are you arguing with again?

funny no one argues any of my points.....

Please!!!! Are you kidding me with that line?

DA didn't pass for over 135.5 YPG his first 4 games last season, and the 9 games he started, 6 of them were an avg of 140 YPG.

Gimme a fooking break, telling us nobody argues your points. My ass. We know Quinn and the team is sucking, but don't ever feed me this BS that DA did better. Yeah, and he ALSO DID WORSE.

So shut it. We have 2 equally shitty QB's.

There's a lot of Lumberghian-level stupidity going on in here tonight.

It's obvious that what this team needs right now is a big-armed, scatter-shot QB to right the ship. Because he's been so good at bringing order and stability to the team in the past.

Guys, this is Quinn's 2nd start of the year. There are plenty of offensive issues, especially at RT and RB, not to mention WR and TE.

But let's keep a little perspective: it was 10-6 in the 3rd quarter, 13-6 into the 4th quarter. Think about that for a sec, those of you blowing your brains all over the board.

10-6 in the 3rd, 13-6 in the 4th.

Despite Dumervil making St. Clair look like a practice player, despite 2 AWFUL turnovers, despite the inability to run the ball AT ALL:

10-6 in the 3rd, 13-6 in the 4th.

People: WE WERE STILL IN THIS GAME IN THE SECOND HALF.

Quinn didn't make the killer mistake. He didn't sink his team. He didn't throw the dumb pick out of frustration, he didn't throw the back-breaking pick 6, he didn't pick a fight with his WRs and kick a pylon.

Quinn didn't have a ton of positives but he did have a few really good completions and he had ZERO killer mistakes.

For those of you who actually REMEMBER last year and the end of 2007, that is a HUGE upgrade at the QB position.

Again, QB is NOT our biggest issue anymore no matter how people want to spin it.

I didn't get to watch the game, I was a t work. But, if I read Yahoo correctly BQ fumbled the ball which turned into a TD for the Broncos.

3rd-9, CLE13 9:14 B. Quinn rushed up the middle for no gain. B. Quinn fumbled. D. Reid recovered fumble

Denver - 9:14

1st-10, CLE10 9:14 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain

2nd-5, CLE5 8:37 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

3rd-2, CLE2 8:03 K. Orton passed to T. Scheffler to the left for 2 yard touchdown. M. Prater made PAT

Now since I did not get to watch the game you can answer for me if that fumble was BQ's fault or the winds? Maybe a fumble that turns into a TD is not a killer mistake. I don't know. But please do tell me who's fault the fumble was.

And 10 - 6 in the third quarter and 13 - 6 early in the fourth quarter. Sounds to me like the defense was playing pretty good hoping that the offense could produce.

First possession they start near the 25 yard line of Denver and get a FG and then on the third possession they DO move the ball 51 yards for another FG.

Only 1 possession of more than 8 plays *1 out of 12). 5 Possessions of 3 and out and no drives for over 51 yards.

This does sound much more like a offensive problem than a defensive one.

I don't think that putting in DA at this time is a good idea. I stick by what I said earlier, Leave him in until week 10 at least. You need to be sure before you give up on him. But I will say that for BQ's sake I really hope he gets rid of the ball faster next week.

and one can't forget that DA has had some shit games a lot worse than Quinn has dished up so far.

So what do you want, a consistantly mediocre QB that loses 80 percent of his starts, or an occasionally brilliant but occasionally bad QB that's won half his starts with a team with little history of winning?

Archived