THE BROWNS BOARD

Expansion Browns shouldn't have been brought back

gcarl

It's taken me a long while to come to the point where I'm questioning whether an expansion Browns team should have been created in the first place. Yes, I know it sounds like a sacrelig, and down right insulting. However, the lineage of the great Browns teams of the past currently resides in Baltimore, Maryland. It's an injustice, it was a serious betrayal of Browns fans and the city, but it's reality. It was an end of an era. This new "Browns" team is an expansion team. Therefore, I wonder if selecting a completely different new nickname and colors would have been a better decision. These aren't the Browns. Maybe there has been too much pressure and expectation put on this expansion team (by the fans, and media) to live up to the name "Browns" and the legacy that comes with it. We should have let go of the past and acknowledged that in 1999 was a start of a new beginning and therefore a new nickname should have been chosen. It's just a theory of mine that living up to the great players and years of the past was not fair to this new franchise.

I'm old enough to remember the Browns of the 80's and even though they didn't make it to the Super Bowl, they were competitive at least! They were talented enough to qualify for 3 AFC Championship games in 4 years. I believe that's what hurts everyone the most. The memories of when the Browns were competitive, talented, and entertaining. We had two great leaders on offense (Sipe and Kosar)... receivers like Newsome and Slaughter, and backs like Mack, Byner and Hoard. Above all else, a competent head coach, Marty Schottenheimer.

We have none of that now. No leadership, no play-makers.... no talent. No hope. This team has accomplished nothing since 1999, except coming back into existence. Is that really a positive thing? This team couldn't stop the run in 1999, and 11 seasons later... well... run defense is still a big problem. Besides special teams (Josh Cribbs is the best player on the roster)... what else does this team do better now than they did 10 years ago? A question I thought about alot during today's game. This team is no better than the 1999 team! Holy sh**!! 10 years of "spinning our wheels" getting no-where and showing no improvement anywhere. This isn't just sad, it's unacceptable.

The lousy draft picks (Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, William Green???). To think we could have drafted Adrian Peterson, or Jamal Lewis (2000 Draft), and Mark Sanchez (looks good so far).

I'm really at the end of the line with this organization. How much grief are we supposed to put up with? Is asking for a competitive football too much to ask for? So this goes back to my first statement that questions whether this team should have been brought back through expansion. It seems it would have saved all of us alot of heartache, frustration and false hope. I could never become a Steelers fan... ever... But I don't live in Ohio, and it's crossed my mind to start following some other team. Yes, I've arrived at a point I never thought I'd ever get to.

With the "life expectancy" of an NFL player and free agency.... are you serious?

In four years, do you know how much of a team is turned over? Especially a bad one?

This being an "expansion team" does nothing to hurt the legacy of the Browns. That was a decade ago.

So, if Modell sold the team instead, are you insinuating it would have undoubtedly turned out better?

Pick a bad team, any team... are they tarnishing the legacy of that franchises history? No, they look like a bunch of asswads that need improvement.

Yeah we've been in a rut for an unreasonably long time but I'm not blaming it on us being an expansion team. That argument went out the window for me in 2003. We've had as many chances at draft picks and free agents as the next guy. We've just made a lot of bad choices in hindsight. Management leaves a lot to be desired. Coaching has left a lot to be desired. Key positions have left a lot to be desired. Quite frankly, other than the faithful beer guy, everything has left a lot to be desired.

But don't question whether we should hang up the name or colors. Who do you want to be a fan of, the Browns, or maybe the Monsters? What about the Cleveland Cats, like the movie! Maybe the WNBA will give up the ghost and we can resurrect the Rockers!! Hall of fame city baby!

Gimme a break. And leave my brown and orange alone.

Easy, big guy. It's been a rough night.

The expansion Browns are exactly where they need to be and who they need to be.

The owner and the organization have been AWFUL from the git-go. Therein lies your problem.

And let's not forget that Modell was the original problem and the guy that forced Paul Brown out so it's not like the organization hasn't had this happen before.

It'll be okay. I promise.

The main thing for me personally, is how embarrassing it's been being a Browns fan these last few years. No bragging rights or things to be proud of. At all. The Browns just lost their 9th straight game to the Broncos. Steelers have won the last 11 meetings vs the Browns? ANY OTHER STREAKS I'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT?? Oh... that's right, Rich Gannon said today again and again and again and again of how long it's been since a Browns scored an offensive TD, and how long since the last rushing TD... didn't he also figure how many quarters it's been, and maybe how many months, days, hours, seconds??? Our upcoming schedule is brutal. Scary. Daunting. This team will be lucky to win 2 games. The Lions are on the schedule. Well, the Lions will win. Their defense sucks, but they can score TDs. Scoring is what playing football is about. Difficult to win games if you're scoring FGs and the other team scores TDs.

I hope Mangini pans out, because if not... what... keep him around for a few more years, fire him, and start from scratch AGAIN?? This is madness.

The main thing for me personally, is how embarrassing it's been being a Browns fan these last few years. No bragging rights or things to be proud of. At all. The Browns just lost their 9th straight game to the Broncos. Steelers have won the last 11 meetings vs the Browns? ANY OTHER STREAKS I'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT?? Oh... that's right, Rich Gannon said today again and again and again and again of how long it's been since a Browns scored an offensive TD, and how long since the last rushing TD... didn't he also figure how many quarters it's been, and maybe how many months, days, hours, seconds??? Our upcoming schedule is brutal. Scary. Daunting. This team will be lucky to win 2 games. The Lions are on the schedule. Well, the Lions will win. Their defense sucks, but they can score TDs. Scoring is what playing football is about. Difficult to win games if you're scoring FGs and the other team scores TDs.

I hope Mangini pans out, because if not... what... keep him around for a few more years, fire him, and start from scratch AGAIN?? This is madness.

Then stop being a fan, because that wouldn't be embarrassing. You're frustrated I get that. Welcome to all of our's world. Sorry english teacher, but it works.

Be glad you're not friends with osusev. Otherwise the little bastard would be sending you personal messages too. See, you're day is getting better all ready!

Whenever you're ready to march on the stadium with picket signs demanding Lerner sells the team to someone who has deep pockets and a clue, lemme know. I'm in. Til then, we have to stomach this crap. I recommend booze. Lot's of it.

Yeah, I always thought they should come out with new colors, new team. At least call them the Cleveland Dawgs or something. Hell give them a logo at least! The "mojo" went to Baltimore everyone knows that. This team has none of that heritage. Hearing other players in the division, in bars and stuff outside of football, joke around and say that as well, it's how the Browns are viewed in the league.

Archived