THE BROWNS BOARD

Steinbach to RT

Greythan

Yeah, I know, he's not prototypical for strong side tackle.

So what? We simply can't power rush on the right side anyway and Steiny probably gives up, what, one sack to Dumer-whatever today?

Thomas, Fraley, Mack, Hadnot (might be back this week?), Steinbach.

Maybe put St Clair at guard if he can make that switch.

I've seen enough of his slow feet. Alo warned us about this guy.

Ouch.

Guest TheJokersWILD
Joe Thomas to right tackle, Steinbach to Left?? I'd be so hesitant to do that because of how freakishly good Thomas is at his position. Just a thought

NOOOOOO Don't fix something that's not broken. Thomas is a two-time ProBowler where he is, it's just a matter of getting one in the draft or trading for a good tackle.

How about steinbach ,womack and st clair out the door..you could get three undrafted young guys in there that would be an instant upgrade...mangini needs to make a big statement because this brand of potato chips has gotten cheap and has tasted bad ever since it changed owners ive only eat them out of loyalty but the taste is getting worse and im considering to stop eating them until they return to form...

I hate going there but this team just keeps getting worse and the offensive scheme brand and gutless coach who wont make a bold statement or give anything to the fans is really starting to take its toll...

Slashing and burning the line is not going to help!!!!! Steinbach is great at LG. its the right side thats not holding up. They need to either change the playcalling or change the OC. You can't just say lets get rid of this guy or that guy and fix the problem. What we have is not good. but if there was better out there available right now it would have been done already. Lets say the coach is right and St. Claire is our best RT. He sucks and we all know that but....he is the best on the team at least through training camp to win the job. So just outright getting rid of him is going to make the team even weaker. If the guys on the PS were good enough to replace folks on the roster THEY WOULDNT BE ON THE PS!!!

I'd say it's worth a look, Grey. I've never seen a worse RT than St. Clair. My God, put Heiden in over there, we know Brian "Metcalf up the Middle" Daboll isn't going to throw to him. He's 6'5", 275. Close enough for our sorry ass right side.

One positive, Fraley didn't look bad at RG as he did at center all last year. I like Fraley & I'm glad we can still use him. If Hadnot comes back this week, maybe move Fraley to RT? Or Hadnot at RT - his feet can't be worse than St. Clair's.

I don't know how they should reorder it, but they need to do something. That right side gets blown away every time the other teams gives half an effort.

Most passes that were thrown yesterday were hurried. To plan against us all you have to do is contain Edwards. We can't run because of the right side, and we can't pass well because of it either.

Yeah, I know, he's not prototypical for strong side tackle.

So what? We simply can't power rush on the right side anyway and Steiny probably gives up, what, one sack to Dumer-whatever today?

Thomas, Fraley, Mack, Hadnot (might be back this week?), Steinbach.

Maybe put St Clair at guard if he can make that switch.

I've seen enough of his slow feet. Alo warned us about this guy.

Ouch.

I'd say it's worth a look, Grey. I've never seen a worse RT than St. Clair. My God, put Heiden in over there, we know Brian "Metcalf up the Middle" Daboll isn't going to throw to him. He's 6'5", 275. Close enough for our sorry ass right side.

One positive, Fraley didn't look bad at RG as he did at center all last year. I like Fraley & I'm glad we can still use him. If Hadnot comes back this week, maybe move Fraley to RT? Or Hadnot at RT - his feet can't be worse than St. Clair's.

they put Fraley in at RG for the 2nd half, right? I caught that too.

I would agree with the OP but if they were thinking that they shoulda done it before the preseason. i was thinking it, that's for sure. Thomas, Tuck, Fraley/Mack, Hadnot, Steiny was my ideal line-up at preseason.

it would change the roster up a bit though--he is slated to back-up Thomas and if there was an injury we could be screwed cuz they trimmed down the squad ala Steiny's versatility (like we aren't screwed now lol). if guess if Joe went down they could move Steiny over to LT and St. Clair back to RT though. still, pretty thin. Tuck could still return, so that could make it a possibility. he must have really been injured cuz to pick St. Clair over him is just ?!?!?!?.

but hey, we've still got Leon Williams!!!

Most passes that were thrown yesterday were hurried.

in some cases unnecessarily so. he had all day on quite a few plays and still rushed passes or threw (lobbed) into double/triple coverage. BE's first catch was into triple and the "Nation" woulda been all over the previous QB for hanging him out there...but as i've always said it's their job to make the tough catch regardless.

the pass to Furrey in the end zone he had plenty of time and missed him by at least 5 yards because of hurrying it.

Slashing and burning the line is not going to help!!!!! Steinbach is great at LG. its the right side thats not holding up. They need to either change the playcalling or change the OC. You can't just say lets get rid of this guy or that guy and fix the problem. What we have is not good. but if there was better out there available right now it would have been done already. Lets say the coach is right and St. Claire is our best RT. He sucks and we all know that but....he is the best on the team at least through training camp to win the job. So just outright getting rid of him is going to make the team even weaker. If the guys on the PS were good enough to replace folks on the roster THEY WOULDNT BE ON THE PS!!!

Let's get some perspective. For as "GREAT" as the left side of the Browns line is, I sure don't see us consistently running behind them for 4-5 yard gains. #3 overall worthy tackles (Ogden/Munoz) were guys that could handle a speed rusher on and island AND you would run behind on a crucial 3rd and 3. Thomas is solid -- and really expensive for solid. ADRIAN PETERSON IS GREAT. Ask Eric Wright about his nightmares some time.

Chip,

If you have no right side to your line dont you think defenses are aware that you might want to run to the left instead and game plan for that?

Ok. But everybody knew that on a critical 3rd and 3 the Bengals of old and the Ravens of slightly less old were going to run behind Munoz and Ogden. That's what made them GREAT. They were the rare Offensive tackles that are game changers.

Tell me who has been Peyton Manning's left tackle for the last two years. He has the most consecutive starts in the NFL and they plug in pieces around him. They had Jokeman Gonzalez as their swing tackle for a couple years.

How about steinbach ,womack and st clair out the door..you could get three undrafted young guys in there that would be an instant upgrade...mangini needs to make a big statement because this brand of potato chips has gotten cheap and has tasted bad ever since it changed owners ive only eat them out of loyalty but the taste is getting worse and im considering to stop eating them until they return to form...

I hate going there but this team just keeps getting worse and the offensive scheme brand and gutless coach who wont make a bold statement or give anything to the fans is really starting to take its toll...

This is exactly why Savage is gone...people are always looking for the quick fix. Not going to happen and it would not work.

Sure..why not. The pass blocking might improve. The run blocking will suck since he is about 40 lbs light for the position, but improving something is worth a try.

Might be better moving Thomas to the right side and put Steiny on the left flank. That might be closer to a line that might work at 70%.

This implies the run blocking to the right is good now.

I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're near the bottom of the league in rushing so far this year.

No it doesn't...you just like to argue with most of what i say...which is fine.

No comment on the other proposal I made? You can only comment on what you think i implied??

Just responding to your critique of my idea is all 'peen. ;) (I'd mentioned in my OP the point that we'd be giving up the prototypical right side size.)

I like your idea too, but am concerned with the post in this thread that mentions not fixing what ain't broke at LT.

I usually agree about don't fix what isn't broke.....but you have to look at how it would all balance out...Joe would be way better than anyone we could put at RT..I guess it just depends on where Steinbach could be the best. Where Steinbach could play the best is the best possible fix we could come up with...at least as I see it.

For my money, he would probably be better in the LT slot over RT.

Again...JMO

This implies the run blocking to the right is good now.

I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're near the bottom of the league in rushing so far this year.

That, IMHO, is a combination of two things-

1) other than Thomas, the o-line isn't very good.

2) Jamal Lewis is at the end of the line- he's not a feature back anymore, and should be used the way the Steelers utilized Jerome Bettis at the end of his career. BTW, right now I'm looking gold for that bet I made that JL won't run for 1,000 yards this year- I doubt he'll even get 750 unless the line drastically improves.

Also the pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired- it was galling to watch Kyle Freaking Orton tear the Browns apart when he had all day to throw.

I love talking oline, but seriously, some of the ideas here are a little out there although I like the discussion.

What you do is leave things as they are and insert Hadnot at RG when ready. Then you start giving St. Clair some help with the TE, which it would be nice if Heiden would get better. BTW, I kept reminding people all year of the injury he was coming back from and he was no guarantee.

In no way am I sticking up for St. Clair, but he is not going to be going up against Dumervil every game. Dummy makes a lot of guys look bad, he is a stud. They need to build more continuity, that is the key. You start swapping guys all over the place and you will see it get ten times worse, trust me.

BTW, right now I'm looking gold for that bet I made that JL won't run for 1,000 yards this year- I doubt he'll even get 750 unless the line drastically improves.

definitely disagree and am feeling mighty confident myself. except for this latest hammy injury Jamal has been convincing that he was still a safe bet. he can't do it all himself you know--you're lucky so far the right side of the o-line has sucked or you'd never make a statement like that about 750 yards.

he's shown even more speed than last year and if he can get some blocks you'll definitely be regretting you even took that bet hoort. be honest with yourself, it's more about them than it is about Jamal.

he doesn't have the ability to move the pile like Bettis or Kevin Mack did. Bettis had mass, i have no idea how Mack did it...different game then i guess. Lewis fights but doesn't get many yards after contact>>i think that role is a big mistake. he still has burst and is still being used properly IMO.

glad you're still in it w/ me. ;)

In no way am I sticking up for St. Clair, but he is not going to be going up against Dumervil every game. Dummy makes a lot of guys look bad, he is a stud.

No, but I think he was swapped to that side for this game...something a lot of team may do. Why have your best pass rusher go against Joe when you can match them up with a guy who is a 50% blocker?

St.Clair is going to see the best every team has.

Also....good point on the TE...probably why Rucker is gone and we picked up the blocking TE from the Jags..St.Clair's problem stems from not having a big, quick drop step and his lateral mobility.

Get a TE out there to take away the initial outside move by the DE will allow St.Clair to get set, at which point he has a chance..all he has to do is ride the guy out a bit and the qb can step up...assuming the front 3 set a nice wall in front of him.

We may see more 2 TE sets before this is said and done....though that does bring the safety up.

Archived