THE BROWNS BOARD

Should Medicare get credit for life expectancy gains?

We need Tom Tupa

The story of American life expectancy is that it is below average, but actually jumps considerably for the elderly. Recently, many have pointed to this as a sign of the success of Medicare. If anyone agrees with them, I recommend considering the fact that the jump in life expectancy for the elderly was actually MORE pronounced pre-Medicare.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/science/...ml?_r=1&hpw

The article discusses other interesting aspects of life expectancy as well.

I was talking to my ENT guy.

I asked him something about increased longevity and life expectancy.

He said he felt it was the same BUT sick people are staying alive longer.

So medical advances are responsible and if Medicare treats more people that would have been treated without that program yes, partly.

Now I'm gonna read the article.

Cheers

WSS

That's an excellent article.

What I find interesting, is the diminishing number of local farms of any size.

Our diets used to be far, far less manufactured and processed.

My Dad, on their farm, never sprayed their fruit trees and vegatables.

But now, commercial fruit tree farmers, spray insecticide and disease chemicals

on their trees *** every two weeks and after every rain ***.

Instead of whole grain flour locally, it's the processed, artificially chemically bleached stuff.

Instead of locally made, beef or chicken hot dogs, you can whatever is in it processed and preserved stuff

that is made in mass quantities. Sodium nitrate is not good for ya,....

Fast food, processed, cooked with cheap saturated fat oil, processed water in cities, hardly pure anywhere?

But, this past year, the farmer's markets we've been to, we vendors have met thousands of people,

who are concerned and want to buy locally grown food.

Many ask if the food is organic, all natural, etc. I don't blame them. We tell them that yes, we

spray our tomatoes early on, before there are but maybe a few blooms, and we don't spray again.

That was great for 99 percent of the folks. We sold out of tomatoes most of the time, when

a few big, big sellers still had tons of tomatoes.

In fact, over in Massillon, the bigger season vendors complained that they were going to all leave in a group,

if the smaller weeklies weren't curtailed by at least half.

So, we drove down early on a Sat, and found out they had just cut the weeklies from 14 to 7.

The big vendors were losing a lot of money to us weeklies, who grown our own.

Those big vendors? Several go some Amish produce auctions with their refrigerated van trucks, and they buy

tons of stuff from outlying states, like N. Carolina, Georgia, Florida, California, you name it.

Then they show up at these farmers markets and resell it as their own.

Well, they won't be happy next year, that's going to be stopped at several farmers markets.

Actually, one vendor went to one of those auctions, bought a ton of stuff, and did just that.

Except, there are witnesses to that, and then the seller is caught. But he won't know it til next year.

But anyways, with the renewed attention on eating healthy, the education to that end, and

the profound advances in illness prevention and cures,

we should see far more a dramatic life expectancy shift to the good in the coming years.

Unless a government takeover of all medical care shuts it down.

Gee, I just read an article about too much population causing global warming.......................

Archived