THE BROWNS BOARD

Brown's Drafting = Missed Opportunities

Koa

We chose Gerard Effing Warren over LaDainian...

We took a one-dimensional pass rusher and overlooked Haloti Ngata...

Our last GM passed up on currently the best runner in the NFL, Mr. Peterson...

Most recently, we passed on Maualuga (who just waxed the Packers) for Brian Robiskie (inactive last week)...

Finally, we traded a true playmaker (one whose passionate for the game) in Winslow and now start a TE with the dropsies (Royal)...

Now imagine this painful possibility if I had it my way:

Sanchez (or Quinn) handing off to Adrian Peterson.

Edwards, Massoquoi, Furrey, and Winslow stretching the field.

Maualuga and D'Qwell manning an athletic LB corps.

Ngata moving over to play next to Big Baby making one of the NFL's best DL.

Steinbach possibly moving to LT or acquiring a veteran FA until we find the next Joe Thomas.

The above COULD have been the 2009 Cleveland Browns folks... :(

Listen guys, I KNOW everything is clear when hindsight is 20/20, but many of us wanted our FO to make these moves regardless.

Don't pile on me too hard. I'm just frustrated with what seems to be our lack of hitting any home run on draft day. We almost try to whiff.

I still love my Browns, always will, and hope I eat my words in the next 5 years when a couple of them make the Pro Bowl. Vent over.

Look, we took Thomas and he's been one hell of a pick to date.

He's neutralized some of the NFL's best pass rushers and provided excellent blindeside protection, not to mention 2 probowls to date.

Offensive tackles of that caliber come along slightly more frequently that backs like AP and tend to have 2-3x the lifespan.

I think it was the correct move at the time and we still have a quality guy to show for it that could start on almost any team. With AP's injury history going back to every season since highschool I was relived we took the "safe" pick for a change. Now I'm looking back and say, well, we could have had him but I was and still am happy with what we got in his place.

As far as Ngata over Wimbley, yeah, that was the letdown of the century. We could have got THE BEST NT in the league for a tweener that still is going through "growing pains" and a NT that can't make practice squads on the worst teams in the league? Brilliant move Phil! I was shocked we passed on that one, so was the rest of my family (we watch the draft together every year). It wasn't even a "looking back, golly that was a mistake" moment, we KNEW right then.

As for trading Winslow, he's damaged goods and isn't going to be in the league for many more years. He had a lot of fire but went off and drew penalties at the worst times. He could kill a drive as fast as he could save one. I for one am happy we salvaged something while we had the chance. His contract was going to be up soon and he wanted a big deal which would tie up a lot of cap space considering he might not be able to play out that contract.

I'm still wondering why Davis took Lunchmoney over LT, we were all shocked on draft day over that one.

We were all also rooting for Merriman over Edwards, that one didn't happen either, then again that year was a very vanilla draft with no clearcut #1 and the top 20 were all about the same in total talent going into the draft.

Look, we took Thomas and he's been one hell of a pick to date.

He's neutralized some of the NFL's best pass rushers and provided excellent blindeside protection, not to mention 2 probowls to date.

Offensive tackles of that caliber come along slightly more frequently that backs like AP and tend to have 2-3x the lifespan.

I think it was the correct move at the time and we still have a quality guy to show for it that could start on almost any team. With AP's injury history going back to every season since highschool I was relived we took the "safe" pick for a change. Now I'm looking back and say, well, we could have had him but I was and still am happy with what we got in his place.

As far as Ngata over Wimbley, yeah, that was the letdown of the century. We could have got THE BEST NT in the league for a tweener that still is going through "growing pains" and a NT that can't make practice squads on the worst teams in the league? Brilliant move Phil! I was shocked we passed on that one, so was the rest of my family (we watch the draft together every year). It wasn't even a "looking back, golly that was a mistake" moment, we KNEW right then.

As for trading Winslow, he's damaged goods and isn't going to be in the league for many more years. He had a lot of fire but went off and drew penalties at the worst times. He could kill a drive as fast as he could save one. I for one am happy we salvaged something while we had the chance. His contract was going to be up soon and he wanted a big deal which would tie up a lot of cap space considering he might not be able to play out that contract.

I'm still wondering why Davis took Lunchmoney over LT, we were all shocked on draft day over that one.

We were all also rooting for Merriman over Edwards, that one didn't happen either, then again that year was a very vanilla draft with no clearcut #1 and the top 20 were all about the same in total talent going into the draft.

Remember, it was Carmen running the system in 2001. Davis got the first rounder because he was the coach(2 votes) and had enough support with Browns line problems to override the scouting part of the team. Also remember, NOBODY wanted LT. Most of them wanted David Terrell. They got their wish when they veto'd Davis's Mo Williams choice and got a guy named......Quincy Morgan. Yuck!!!!

I can see why Carmen was forced out.

Missed opportunities??? LOL!!! Your entire team is trash!!! The whole franchise is a missed opportunity.

Maybe so, but it's OUR team that we love through thick and thin.

We're not jumping bandwagons here.

And as far as the entire team, Thomas is an elite LT, Rogers is an elite NT.

Only one of those guys we drafted.

Yeah it's sad, it breaks out hearts, but it's our team.

Bet you've got a closet of jersies from every team to win the Superbowl from the last 15 years.

We chose Gerard Effing Warren over LaDainian...

We took a one-dimensional pass rusher and overlooked Haloti Ngata...

Our last GM passed up on currently the best runner in the NFL, Mr. Peterson...

Most recently, we passed on Maualuga (who just waxed the Packers) for Brian Robiskie (inactive last week)...

Finally, we traded a true playmaker (one whose passionate for the game) in Winslow and now start a TE with the dropsies (Royal)...

Now imagine this painful possibility if I had it my way:

Sanchez (or Quinn) handing off to Adrian Peterson.

Edwards, Massoquoi, Furrey, and Winslow stretching the field.

Maualuga and D'Qwell manning an athletic LB corps.

Ngata moving over to play next to Big Baby making one of the NFL's best DL.

Steinbach possibly moving to LT or acquiring a veteran FA until we find the next Joe Thomas.

The above COULD have been the 2009 Cleveland Browns folks... :(

Listen guys, I KNOW everything is clear when hindsight is 20/20, but many of us wanted our FO to make these moves regardless.

Don't pile on me too hard. I'm just frustrated with what seems to be our lack of hitting any home run on draft day. We almost try to whiff.

I still love my Browns, always will, and hope I eat my words in the next 5 years when a couple of them make the Pro Bowl. Vent over.

If we had Ngata (which we should) We would not have pursued big baby.. , tomlinson was more of a question mark than Warren prior to that draft.. Hindsight is 20/20, agree with AP one million % and my post history will show that.. I was 100% for drafting him..that being said, Joe thomas is already proving his worth at LT and only getting better so no real complaints with him...but I would have preferred AP, We had a GAPING need at WR much more so than at LB..no complaints with picking Robiskie..he will be a good player for us for many years. Sanchez.. NO THANKS I dont believe in QB's with high first round picks but that's just me.. If we had Sanchez..you would not have had those second round picks... so ya have that too.

Hindsight is 20/20 deal with the browns we have.. no point in coveting what we don't have. I believe this could be one of our best ever draft classes. Just becaue your not seeing it in WEEK TWO does not mean crap.

Another thing you are overlooking is the fact that if we did pick some of those earlier players, we probably would have had a better team and not been in position to draft some of the more recent ones. Also, whose to say that if we did draft LT, Sanchez, Ngata that they would have turned out as successful as they are now. Part of a rookies transition to the NFL is reliant on the coaching staff and we've had some shitty coaching staffs in the past. For all we know, Ngata could have been a bust for us while the ravens made Wimbley into the next D-Ware. Coaching is definitely a big part IMO

This is torture.

Anyone who's talking about busts in the 2009 draft not named Crabtree is REALLY out of their mind. There is nothing to say that Massaquoi or Robiskie won't be starting by midseason. Veikune could improve enough to start as well.

Maualuga is a good 4-3 player. The 3-4 inside is a different skill set (see Vilma, Jonathan). Get over it.

Are you suggesting we follow Dan Snyder's footsteps and become the next Redskins?

:P No. I'm just saying that the draft is not the answer for teams that need to solve too many issues at one time. If you are a good team, then you can cherrypick what you need and throughout 7 rounds you might end up hitting the jackpot.

But if your issues are so many you can't even list them, there's no way the draft can be the solution.

In FA you can take what you need among already NFL-tested players. It can make the difference in the short term.

Of course if you don't shop wisely on Free Agency, you might as well end up as Dan Snyder...

Archived