THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn still confident under fire

OconRecon

Quinn is staying upbeat. Enough of this woe is me crap.

Under-fire, Quinn still confident

http://cle.scout.com/2/902111.html

BEREA—Despite getting off to an 0-2 start and struggling to jumpstart an offense that has been pathetic—to say the least—Brady Quinn still had a smile on his face as he met with the media on Wednesday.

“I’m always optimistic,” Quinn said. “I think we can take positive things away despite a loss.”

On the season, Quinn is 39-of-66 for 366 yards (59.1 %) with a touchdown and two interceptions. He has been sacked nine times and carries a QB rating of just 66.9.

Quinn thinks there are certainly things he can improve upon.

“The turnovers (are costly),” he said. “I’m looking forward to progressing in the offense.  I’m always hopeful and optimistic on how things will go. We just need to get better as a whole.”

Quinn admitted that he has at times held onto the ball too long, but thinks part of the sacks has been because the Browns have found themselves in third-and-long situations all too often in the first two games.

“Maybe at times, one of the problems is putting yourself in third and long and you have to wait for the receivers to get to the sticks.”

Eric Mangini said the sacks are a combination of things.

“It’s a combination of things,”  Mangini said. “Sometimes, it’s the line, backs or sometimes the quarterback hanging on to the ball too long.”

There is no question the Browns are the worst-ranked offense in the NFL for a reason.

“Having the running game makes your job easier at quarterback,” Quinn said. “We feel confident in working with our game plan.

“But, without a doubt, the best way to open up an offense is to have a running game.”

What do the Browns need to do, to get a running game going?

“As veteran guys, we all have to be on the same page,” Eric Steinbach said.

John St. Clair agreed.

“We have the pieces of the puzzle in place,” he said. “We just have to execute.” 

“We just need to get better as a whole,” Quinn said. “We just need to put ourselves in better situations.”

Josh Cribbs said besides executing, it comes down to one thing.

“We just have to make plays,” he said. “That’s how we get the offense going.”

The Browns offense will face the top rushing defense in the NFL in the Ravens.

“We know they bring a lot to the table,” Quinn said. “Playing in Baltimore, we have our hands full.”

Quinn will face the Ravens for the first time as a starter and embraces the opportunity.

“It’s exciting,” he said. “Anytime you go up against future Hall of Famers like of Ray Lewis or Ed Reed. You don’t want to put yourself in a hole. When you need to make a play, you have to.”

OL Shuffle: RG Floyd Womack was absent from the portion of practice that was available to the media, but Mangini isn’t ruling Womack out for this week’s game.

“We’ll see where Floyd is,” he said. “I think he has a chance, but we’ll have to see where he’s at.”

Womack left last Sunday’s game in the first half and was replaced by OL Hank Fraley, who said he played about three quarters. If Womack is unable to go, Fraley or possibly OL Rex Hadnot could enter the mix.

Hadnot has been out since early training camp, but practiced Wednesday.

“Rex is making progress,”  Mangini said.

The injury report doesn’t come out until late Wednesday afternoon. Hadnot has been listed as ‘out’ the past two weeks.

Not All His Fault: RT John St. Clair has been blamed for giving up four sacks to Broncos’ LB Elvis Dumervil last Sunday, but Mangini said all the blame shouldn’t be on St. Clair.

“I think there have been times where I’ve really liked what he’s done, but last week, there were different things we could’ve done to help the situation.”

St. Clair isn’t worried about his confidence.

“I have confidence in my game,” he said. “We just have to execute better.”

Rucker’s Out: TE Martin Rucker was replaced on Tuesday on the roster by TE Greg Estandia. Rucker was a fourth-round draft choice in 2008 by the Browns and was viewed as a replacement as a pass-receiving tight end for Kellen Winslow. However, Estandia at 6-8, 255 pounds is viewed as a blocking tight end.

“We liked Greg and thought it was a chance to improve the team,” Mangini said. “I liked Martin and hope he can continue on.”

No Experiment: A reporter asked Mangini about WR Josh Cribbs as a receiver and bristled at the idea that it was an experiment.

“I wouldn’t classify it as an experiment by any means,” Mangini said. “He’s done some good things. He’s made a commitment to it and he’s made progress. I think Josh has made significant progress through this transition.”

Cribbs is tied for the team lead with WR Braylon Edwards with seven catches, but he has just 32 yards for a 4.6 average.

“I thought the transition is what I thought it would be,” Cribbs said. “It’s not been a struggle.”

Memories: Mangini went to Baltimore when the team moved from Cleveland. After Bill Belichick was fired, Ted Marchibroda became the coach and Mangini stayed on the staff under Marchibroda.

“I have a lot of memories from my time in Baltimore,” he said. “Under Ted, I learned a lot. I met my wife there, got married there. I was part of the first draft there with Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis.”

Mangini said his emotions of the last day in Cleveland could be boiled down to one word.

“It was a sad day,” he said. “I don’t think anyone was happy about it, players, coaches. You don’t know what will happen with a new head coach coming in. You hope the people you were working with would recommend you.”

September 23 1:20

Though the Ravens remain one of the premier defensive teams in the NFL, their CBs have struggled. Browns WR Josh Cribbs believes the Baltimore defense does have its vulnerabilities. "There are weak spots in every defense and you have to exploit them," he said.

September 23 1:19 ET

Asked about Browns embattled QB Brady Quinn, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said, "I know we have people here who feel Brady is really good and really talented, very competitive and dangerous and that he's on his way to becoming a great quarterback in this league."

(granted, what else is he going to say)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CLE

Put up or shut up Quinnie.

We want wins or progress, give us something.

Hard to make progress when the right side of the line is a turnstile and daboll runs on 1st and 2nd down all the time eh?

A million excuses can be made for Quinn with the lineup he has but the bottom line is he has to find a way to win or atleast die trying.

Peyton manning would spend pregame throwing to recievers on routes they ran a milion times just to make sure they were all on the same page.

Lewis is slow,to bad

Cribbs isnt a wideout and doesnt hit the routes,to bad

He has the support of everyone around him,he needs to get out of the books and film and communicate the game plan with his players and make it happen.

If Quinn cant turn this around and become a decent starting qb in the next few weeks we need to go shopping and trade him because the blame will fall on him.

Throwing for 3 or 4 touchdowns with minimal mistakes and giving your team a chance to win every game and be competitive should be his motivation rather than being afraid to make a mistake and hold onto the ball till he takes so many sacks hes on the bench hurt.

He needs to just let it fly and I hope the light turns on soon and he just does it.

It isnt Quinn vs the defense, its a team game. The WHOLE team has to get better before we'll see improvement.

I dont know how you think football works, but Quinn doesnt have jack shit to do with giving up 3rd down conversions all day, blocking the DE, or calling the plays.

Hard to make progress when the right side of the line is a turnstile and daboll runs on 1st and 2nd down all the time eh?

He's the QB. He can't blame all his adversity on bad OL play. When DA came in our sacks disappeared. Quinn needs to make plays regardless. That is progress. Having the same QB contribution week after week will certainly land him in the fan doghouse. He needs to overcome the right side of the OL plain and simple.

Quinn admitted that he has at times held onto the ball too long, but thinks part of the sacks has been because the Browns have found themselves in third-and-long situations all too often in the first two games.

I understand that BQ needs to step it up. He understands it too. But he also nailed this one on the button! He has no problem taking part of the blame. But he also has no problem pointing out others' mistakes as well. Daboll should take note, and fix the problem!

Adam, you're missing his point.

What he's asking for is what many of us were asking of DA during the down periods: be the catalyst for change, be the guy that steps up and raises the level of play of the other 10.

Its a tall order but one all the great QB's seem to have.

Not usually by their 5th start they dont.

Adam, you're missing his point.

What he's asking for is what many of us were asking of DA during the down periods: be the catalyst for change, be the guy that steps up and raises the level of play of the other 10.

Its a tall order but one all the great QB's seem to have.

That's how I took it too.

It's more hat things stink, we need someone to step up, so let it be Quinn. Take the bull by the horns.

Rather than exucuses like: once things around him get better, then he'll bet better, or accusations like: Quinn needs to get better because this is all his faul.

I want him to say "damn it, I'm sick of this crap, do what I say and I'll take you there".

He's the QB. He can't blame all his adversity on bad OL play. When DA came in our sacks disappeared. Quinn needs to make plays regardless. That is progress. Having the same QB contribution week after week will certainly land him in the fan doghouse. He needs to overcome the right side of the OL plain and simple.

I still got my sack.

No he can't blame it ALL on the OL, but then again its not like he's been stinking the place up. He hasn't played WELL, but he hasn't done a damn thing to cost us any of those games. He's not making critical mistakes, yet.

I think you guys are all being way too hasty in giving Quinn his ultimatum. What the hell would the point be to pulling him mid season for DA? We won't accomplish anything except possibly ruining the development of a possible franchise QB. There are many, many cases to be made for letting him flap in the wind for even a few years. It took a long time for a lot of QB's to get up to the level they play at now.

What if Peyton was benched after a year or two instead of being allowed to develop?

I know everyone just wants the team to win, but you can't demand that BQ make up for everone else SUCKING, just because.

We know what we have with DA, he's not going to magically be anything better than he has been, absolutely no point what-so-ever in pulling Quinn for him.

And by the time the season is over we'll have our answer, Quinn will either improve or we will be talking about the upcoming draft class.

Either way, its xxxxing pointless to be discussing either of those two options right now.

I want to see improvement. Im realistic that the browns are not going to win 10 games this year, most likely not even 6. I would be happy just seeing a positive progression week to week. And this includes Quinn, the o-line and just the team as a whole.

Well everyone is saying this in one breath and then bitching with the next.

Just gotta sit back and watch the ride

John St. Clair agreed.

“We have the pieces of the puzzle in place,” he said. “We just have to execute.”

The only quote St. Clair should have said is "We need to take my sorry ass out of the game." He can keep his piece of the puzzle on the sidelines as far as I am concerned.

Anderson should have been the starter from day one. Quinn is not NFL QB material. He looks very paranoid in the shotgun. He throws too quickly. His passes are inaccurate. He DOES NOT read the blitz well. He throws only 3-10 yard passes and not well. What is the love affair with this guy in here? To be frank, HE SUCKS! Please start Anderson and lets at least get a few victories this year. Otherwise we are doomed to a Detroit season.

Guest ATENEARS

Actually, I think we only ran on 1st and then again on 2nd down five times on Sunday. The first time was for a pathetic 3 combined yards. The second time netted us a First down using the two runs. The third time also netted us a First Down, but by way of a face mask penalty on Cribbs on an end-around (although we gained 9 on the two plays). The fourth time gained us 9 yards and set up 3rd-n-1, which we ran again and failed. The fifth time after a 24 yard pass play moved the sticks, we ran consecutive on the next first and second down for 6 yards and threw incomplete on 3rd-n-4.

On the other first down calls, we threw incomplete about 8 times. Scrambled for 5 yards on another, threw for negative-2 yards on another, and was sacked for negative-2 yards to start the second half, etc...

We had a few decent gains of 16 & 13 yards late in the game on first down as we went into pass happy mode against a prevent defense, to go along with the nice 24yrd gain I mentioned above.

Maybe we can put to bed the notion that we RUN-RUN every series through the entire game. Actually the RUN-RUNS that we did do weren't all that bad setting us up with two first downs, a 3rd-n-1, 3rd-n-4 & 3rd-6.

It was the sack, negative passing yards, and incomplete passes, on first downs that really were the culprit in creating the 3rd-n-longs.

Anderson should have been the starter from day one. Quinn is not NFL QB material. He looks very paranoid in the shotgun. He throws too quickly. His passes are inaccurate. He DOES NOT read the blitz well. He throws only 3-10 yard passes and not well. What is the love affair with this guy in here? To be frank, HE SUCKS! Please start Anderson and lets at least get a few victories this year. Otherwise we are doomed to a Detroit season.

Throws to quickly? Did you watch any of th games this year?

Guest ATENEARS
“Having the running game makes your job easier at quarterback,” Quinn said. “We feel confident in working with our game plan.

“But, without a doubt, the best way to open up an offense is to have a running game.”

Kind of sounds like he is throwing the Running backs/game under the bus here.

You know, reading that article, Romeo still lives here even if he isn't here.

'We just need to make plays'. 'We just need to get better', 'I just need to stop holding onto the ball too long'.

There is no 'just need to'. We'll know RAC is truly gone when these guys say:

'We will get better as we play together more'

'We left plays on the field. We are working on that and will make plays'

etc, etc.

I think we're still in the 'try but if you fail, golly we still love you anyway, A for effor' mode that RAC brought with him.

I still got my sack.

No he can't blame it ALL on the OL, but then again its not like he's been stinking the place up. He hasn't played WELL, but he hasn't done a damn thing to cost us any of those games. He's not making critical mistakes, yet.

I think you guys are all being way too hasty in giving Quinn his ultimatum. What the hell would the point be to pulling him mid season for DA? We won't accomplish anything except possibly ruining the development of a possible franchise QB. There are many, many cases to be made for letting him flap in the wind for even a few years. It took a long time for a lot of QB's to get up to the level they play at now.

What if Peyton was benched after a year or two instead of being allowed to develop?

I know everyone just wants the team to win, but you can't demand that BQ make up for everyone else SUCKING, just because.

Either way, its xxxxing pointless to be discussing either of those two options right now.

That is what many demanded of DA. But that is not what I wanted to say.

What I actually wanted to say was that maybe I can agree with you that BQ did not make a mistake (other than a ton of 3 and outs) to cost the team victory. BUT HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO HELP THE TEAM WIN.

Everybody keeps talking about a QB to lead the Browns to the playoffs and eventually the Superbowl and what you seem to be asking for is a QB that will not lose a game. Tell you what, do you know what happens when you play not to lose? You Lose and you lose often. There are very few exceptions to this.

The game manager has had 25 total Possessions. In those possessions the Browns had 4 or less offensive plays in 15 of those possessions and had 39 or fewer yards of offense in 20 of those possessions. To be fair 2 of each category are at the end of the half so we will disregard those. Possessions with 4 plays or less - 56% (13/23)!! and possessions with less than 39 yards of offense (and only 3 of these possessions were actually more than 29 yards) a amazing 78%. In contrast the Browns have 4 FGs and one wothless TD. But that means the Browns score a FG on 17% (not counting last possession at half) of the possessions and score a offensive TD on 4% of their possessions.

Answer me how you can defend this by blaming it all on the offensive coordinator? And of all people you should know that the comparing of BQ to great QBs that struggled at the start of their careers is a weak argument. After all it was shot down when people tried to use this argument to support DA. If it is not acceptable for DA then it is not acceptable for BQ.

BQ is the starter, and should remain so. But I do not understand why you and several others that were so critical of DA can defend BQ. It would be different if he looked like he had a clue out there. And I don't think you can expect BQ to have a good game against the Ravens, but hey maybe he will be like DA and have a good game when nobody thinks it is possible.

We know what we have with DA, he's not going to magically be anything better than he has been, absolutely no point what-so-ever in pulling Quinn for him.

And by the time the season is over we'll have our answer, Quinn will either improve or we will be talking about the upcoming draft class.

That is what many demanded of DA. But that is not what I wanted to say.

What I actually wanted to say was that maybe I can agree with you that BQ did not make a mistake (other than a ton of 3 and outs) to cost the team victory. BUT HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO HELP THE TEAM WIN.

Everybody keeps talking about a QB to lead the Browns to the playoffs and eventually the Superbowl and what you seem to be asking for is a QB that will not lose a game. Tell you what, do you know what happens when you play not to lose? You Lose and you lose often. There are very few exceptions to this.

The game manager has had 25 total Possessions. In those possessions the Browns had 4 or less offensive plays in 15 of those possessions and had 39 or fewer yards of offense in 20 of those possessions. To be fair 2 of each category are at the end of the half so we will disregard those. Possessions with 4 plays or less - 56% (13/23)!! and possessions with less than 39 yards of offense (and only 3 of these possessions were actually more than 29 yards) a amazing 78%. In contrast the Browns have 4 FGs and one wothless TD. But that means the Browns score a FG on 17% (not counting last possession at half) of the possessions and score a offensive TD on 4% of their possessions.

Answer me how you can defend this by blaming it all on the offensive coordinator? And of all people you should know that the comparing of BQ to great QBs that struggled at the start of their careers is a weak argument. After all it was shot down when people tried to use this argument to support DA. If it is not acceptable for DA then it is not acceptable for BQ.

BQ is the starter, and should remain so. But I do not understand why you and several others that were so critical of DA can defend BQ. It would be different if he looked like he had a clue out there. And I don't think you can expect BQ to have a good game against the Ravens, but hey maybe he will be like DA and have a good game when nobody thinks it is possible.

Wow! And they call DA the "drive assassin"?

4% of Quinn's POSSESSIONS have resulted in touchdowns? DA has had 4.6% of his PASS ATTEMPTS result in touchdowns over the course of his career. If you look at possessions you'll have to include running TDs by DA and his teammates and the numbers will be off the charts in comparison. Hopefully Quinn and the Browns will improve, 'cause as bad as it's been under Anderson, it's never been anywhere near this bad.

Quinn will face the Ravens for the first time as a starter and embraces the opportunity.

“It’s exciting,” he said. “Anytime you go up against future Hall of Famers like of Ray Lewis or Ed Reed. You don’t want to put yourself in a hole. When you need to make a play, you have to.”

Scratch the word exciting and replace with the word terrifying...I wonder how much he will embrace the opportunity when Ngata embraces him.

Scratch the word exciting and replace with the word terrifying...I wonder how much he will embrace the opportunity when Ngata embraces him.

He should cherish it while he can. Everyone at that level should feel privileged to be playing.

Fluff stuff.

Of course he is confident...how many times have you read a article like this with the qb saying we don't stand a chance, I have lost my confidence in myself and teammates, and the season is over???

Ngata won't get him, I predict.

Mack has the power to handle that.

But a quick jitterbug Robiskie needs to be in the lineup.

I think that's what they wanted Stallworth for, to be fast, and quick and get open.

but...

I'd say Quinn loves the game and the challenge. Just find a way to protect the right side,

and we'll see the Browns offense start to come together.

Fluff stuff.

Of course he is confident...how many times have you read a article like this with the qb saying we don't stand a chance, I have lost my confidence in myself and teammates, and the season is over???

Wrong 'peen. How about this?:

Brady Quinn eager to rev up Cleveland Browns offense against Baltimore Ravens

Despite criticisms, QB remains optimistic

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter

Being the starting quarter back for the Browns means hearing about your last game from everybody.

In Brady Quinn's case, that includes his mom and other family members.

"She doesn't know football that well, but she knows the difference between winning and losing," Quinn said Wednesday. "She always lets me know that.

Anybody else giving Quinn the business?

"My dad, my uncle, my core group of friends, they're always pretty blunt and honest," he said. "They'll always be tough about things.

"The people that are closest to you, they want the best for you. They're going to try to push you just like anyone else has in my life."

Quinn maintains he is "always optimistic" and intends to work himself - and his offense - out of their doldrums. The Browns rank last in offense in the NFL.

After winning the competition for the job of his dreams, Quinn is the NFL's 28th-rated passer through two games and author of an 0-2 record.

"It's tough," he said.

"I think any time you're unaccustomed to certain things, you can do one of two things. You can question why and start changing the habits which have guided you to this point, or you can continue to persist, push through and persevere. That's more the person I am

"I've worked extremely hard, watching film and [practicing] on the field, and I'm going to continue to do that, and we're going to work through this as a team."

Quinn may have been the people's choice to win the starting job, but he is not immune to criticism. He's held the ball too long, sailed it too high, failed to throw into the end zone except for one time in eight quarters. He's been sacked nine times and has suffered four turnovers, counting a bad snap assigned as a fumble to him.

Asked to assess what he's done well, Quinn said: "I think the overall operation of the huddle. I'm getting guys in and out, getting them in the right position. The checks have been pretty solid for us so far. And sometimes making a play when we have to, or making a smart decision, making a more conservative play at times, as well."

As for what he's not doing well, Quinn replied quickly, "Turnovers is one key aspect."

He disputed that he's pressing, causing his passes to sail.

"It sailed a couple times when I think I didn't get my feet set in order to make a more accurate throw," Quinn said. "I think I might have been pressing during those particular throws. Outside of that, I don't feel I'm pressing so much. I'm just trying to take what the defense gives us and not force bad decisions."

He maintained the offensive system of first-time coordinator Brian Daboll has the ability to stretch a defense with longer pass routes.

"Without a doubt," Quinn said. "But you have to understand, the best thing to open up things downfield is to have a running game to get more production there. So that's something we're trying to get better at, so when we do have the play-action fakes they're more meaningful."

Quinn did not strongly dispute the notion that two years on the bench might have hurt his progress.

"I don't think so," he said, before adding, "Sometimes it's hard to get completely meshed in with things when you first get into it. When you don't have years of playing with the same wide receiver, like Peyton Manning, etc., they're able to kind of have that non-verbal communication down a little bit easier than when you're coming into your third game with a wide receiver."

Being the starting quarterback for the Browns also means playing Baltimore and Pittsburgh twice a year. Quinn makes his first appearance against the mighty Ravens defense Sunday in Baltimore.

He is the fifth Browns quarterback to face the Ravens in the past six years. Only Derek Anderson in 2007 returned from Baltimore with a win. Anderson also lost last season, as did Charlie Frye in '06, Trent Dilfer in '05 and Jeff Garcia in '04.

"Obviously from a personnel standpoint, we know they bring a lot to the table," Quinn said. "That's something you have to deal with in this division. Playing in Baltimore is tough, as well. They've got a loud stadium there. So we've got our hands full this week."

The Ravens lead the league in defense against the run, yielding 41 yards a game and a 2.2 rush average. The Browns are 28th in rushing, netting 71 yards a game and a 3.5 average.

"Having a running game makes your job as a quarterback a lot easier," Quinn said. "Going against the No. 1 rush defense doesn't help that.

"Any time you go up against a tough opponent like this, against future Hall of Famers like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, people like that, you get excited about that opportunity. It's obviously a very tough task for us, but something we're going to work as hard as we can to prepare for."

=========

Now that's hard-ass reporting. ;)

Guest ATENEARS

Sounds like these guys are already mentally beat for this Sunday's game though. I'd never surrender that the Ravens defense is better than my offense ... NEVER. Especially being his first time facing them. He needs more of a swagger along the lines of "The Ravens are a good football team, but they haven't faced me yet or this particular offense."

You gotta want it and nothing else can creap into your mind.

Step up and be a leader ... I'm tired of the little mouse act. Grow a set already, or get the hell out of the way.

Archived