THE BROWNS BOARD

Running Game Woes

mopaji

It's obvious to everyone that our running game is non-existent. Is it because Jamal is done? The line is aweful? Or is it the least obvious reason? The passing game?

Just like running sets up the pass, passing sets up the run. I watched the Minnesota game and couldn't help but notice Jamal getting 5 yards a pop with ease. We can all agree that Minnesota has a MUCH better D than Denver yet, Jamal was useless vs Denver. Here comes the theory.

Against Minnesota, they had no clue what to expect from our offense and had to respect all facets of the game. However, with a week to prepare and an entire game of film to watch, Denver realized that we are not going to beat them deep. By deep I mean 15 yards. And we weren't going to beat them at all by throwing, period. Because of this, they can crowd the line all day thus, having gaps filled as soon as they open and rendoring Jamal or anybody else, useless. And any team we play will do the same with the same result. Unless we start taking shots downfield, complete or not it doesn't matter, no defense is going to give us a chance to run the ball. With that said, I give Mangini props for sticking to it until late vs. Denver.

Thoughts?

Just like running sets up the pass, passing sets up the run.

Quinnie hasn't figured that out yet.

“Having the running game makes your job easier at quarterback,” Quinn said. “We feel confident in working with our game plan. “But, without a doubt, the best way to open up an offense is to have a running game.”

The line needs time to work together.. I keep thinking of the Chiefs when Marty was there..the OL was great cuz they kept the same guys together for like 6-7 years.. This cannot be overstated... Our OL needs more talent...not denying that.. but we have to ride with what we have.. I still believe they will get better ..We tossed together a bunch of guys who have not played together with a rookie center.. St. Claire was a turnstyle last week. The left side needs a RB to chip/help or TE over there at least until they get things straightened out...

Jamal showed in Minni when there was a hole he can hit it.. Harrison is quick but he got nowhere last week either.. Davis.. Who knows..we have not seen enough of him in real games to know what we have.. I do know we have to get better performance up front.. The coach ....the OL coach needs to do a better job and that's #1... If he does better the OL will begin performing better too... It will improve.. I think we have the players to do it.. I have seen these same players be effective in the past... It's a matter of working together as a unit.

OL and run game is my thing.. It's too easy to point at jamal or St. Claire.. if there is one portion of the entire team that must play as a unit... it's the OL.. They played revolving starters all preseason so the starting unit really has not had but 2 weeks together..now we are changing it again because Womack is out.. When Hadnot comes back we are going to change it again... We need the same guys in there week in week out and allow them time to get used to who is next to them.. Any of you guys who have ever played OL know...You need to know what the guy next to you is doing, what does he do well, what doesn't he do well... coaching is huge.

We were gawd awful last year on the ground and particularly bad in the air with anderception as well so what makes anyone think anything will change by putting DA back in...im all for it because it wont make a difference and DA will be pulled after 2 games as well and then penguini gets what he really wants his nephew ratty to run the team...;)

I think the fact we released Rucker and brought in another blocking TE kind of answers where the coaches think the problem is....that would be the OL. You don't give up a weapon for protection unless protection is a MUCH BIGGER issue than lack of weapons.

The interesting thing will be this week if JL can't go...and we have Davis and Harrison in at RB. That should answer if it is JL's lack of speed or if it is more the OL. Also, if Quinn ever gets sacked less than 4x in a game, that might help us determine the answer too....since Dumerville ate St.Clair alive this past week.

the running game sucks because the passing game sucks. They stack the box, we can't run. They know Quinn can't/won't/can't/can't throw so they are not scared of anything deep. They'll let Quinn complete his two hard dink and dunks, because when 4th down comes, its 4th and 4 and we are punting.

When the passing game improves, the run game will improve. Usually you can get the pass started with the run, but only if the safeties respect the QB, which no safety respects our QB.

the running game sucks because the passing game sucks. They stack the box, we can't run. They know Quinn can't/won't/can't/can't throw so they are not scared of anything deep. They'll let Quinn complete his two hard dink and dunks, because when 4th down comes, its 4th and 4 and we are punting.

When the passing game improves, the run game will improve. Usually you can get the pass started with the run, but only if the safeties respect the QB, which no safety respects our QB.

Yes, a successful, balanced attack is effective.

But it is NOT that they don't respect Quinn. If that were true, they wouldn't be blitzing like hell off the right side.

They can work the run on defense, because they can get to the qb off the right side and not worry too much about long throws.

So, all they have to cover is a short and intermediate pass.

There is no time to wait and throw downfield.

When Quinn had plenty of time to throw, like earlier in the second half, they weren't blitzing the right side.

Like I already mentioned: Doug Dieken said when Denver moved Dumervil away from Joe Thomas, and over

vs St. Claire, Dumervil hit paydirt and the Browns offense started to fall apart.

At this point, if you weren't going to play the two wr's much at all the first year, why not make one of those

picks in the second round a RT ?

Oh well. But the fixation on the qb is really a superficial appraisal of what is keeping the offense from being successful.

The running game sucks because we aren't giving many snaps to a running back that can actually make someone miss.

Even with a horrible QB, good running backs and halfway decent lines (like ours) can run on people if they have some talent back there.

Quinn can only make things better for this line because he's made it tough on them so far, but Jamal hitting the hole 2 full seconds after it opens means he is going to gain way less yardage than a smaller, faster shiftier back.

Archived