THE BROWNS BOARD

My Honest Assessment Of The Browns Situation..

Gips

MY HONEST ASSESSMENT OF THE SITUATION:

We have 2 different QB approaches starting from last year and looking at DA to BQ and right now...and that both seem to end with the same results and this clearly poiints to our WRs ,Running Game and O-line as 3 very serious problems...with the true bottlenecks being no star quality WRs ,no adequate pass protection/time for seperation of the WRs combined with no WRs that can get seperation without a defensive oversite or mistake and some fairly bad run blocking from the right side that makes it easy to stack against the left side while effortlessly keeping the right side in check..this creates a situation in which we cant safely go deep nor can we dependably go short and get solid catching or any YAC..

BQ plays a safe brand of football but we lack all the Possession/YAC/speed at WR and O-line pieces to effectively play this way and win or at the very least daboll isnt fielding the potential new guys that could give BQ his best chances for this offense to succeed by slowly safely chunking away at the defenses in turn opening the deep threat but with no true deep threat reciever in BE..

I need to see only so much more of BQ before accepting the fact we will need to bring DA in...BQ is running out of time in my book as he hasnt shown me enough of anything to prove that he belongs out there as the team leader i have seen no growth as of yet...and imho at this point BQ needs to take command of this rabble of a team and take some risks and try lugging the ball to edwards sluggish unseperating ass whenever he has 1 on 1 coverage and apply the same theory to any of the other less than talented WRs we have when in coverage and if he cant step it up and lead by example then its time to put DA in..

DA has proven he isnt afraid to take the deep shot to our always covered incompetent WRs to try and move the ball even if it ends up costing us the game which it always seems to do...and we always blame DA when in fact its no more his fault than it is BQs..

The real reason that DA is the better choice if BQ cant or wont step it up is not a reflection on BQs style as much as it is the situation we are in at the WR position and lack of ability to seperate truly warrants big risk feats for attempted gains and only a true leader will do what it takes to try and make things happen and we know that DA already understands this all to well...our team does not possess the right pieces for BQs style or for DAs style of play so in my opinion BQ needs to gain some versatility and take risks to try and win or risk soon being replaced by DA who will take the risks to try and make this dysfunctional team work...

Is the OC calling such dumb plays cos he does not have enough trust in BQ or is it cos he is not experienced enough ?

If it is not cos of BQ then bringing in DA will not help, else it will.

The Ravens secondary allowed a lot of pass yards is what is said and we do stand chances of giving them a good fight if we can use BE and MOMass effectively. I will use this game to evaluate the OC more than BQ. If the OC is pass happy and even if BQ fails, atleast I know that the OC has common sense.

BQ is hurting from lack of a running game! that is the biggest thing. Give him a running game, we see a diff play. right now all the d has to do is take the receivers out of play and we have what we have now!

Awesome.

When DA shits the bed it's because he sucks and makes bad decisions that cost us games? Let's not forget that he had no targets, no defense, and no running game. This results in a young QB on a bad team to force some throws trying to make plays and ends up making mistakes. When your team is playing well around you, you get 29TDs and 10 wins.

When BQ shits the bed it's because his team is terrible and the playcalling suck? It has nothing to do with his happy feet and pure lack of essential NFL tools? We cannot honestly say if the team around BQ sucks yet because his play overshadows everyone else on the field right now. The only thing we can see for sure is that St. Clair is inconsistant and the playcalling has been actually pretty good.

FACT: DA DOES NOT SUCK! I could go into a dozen reasons why he should have been our QB from day one up until now and I will if you want me to.

FACT: BQ DOES NOT HAVE THE THE TOOLS TO PLAY AT THIS LEVEL. I can also support this opinion upon request.

I cannot believe I get sucked into this everytime. Shame on me

BQ is hurting from lack of a running game! that is the biggest thing. Give him a running game, we see a diff play. right now all the d has to do is take the receivers out of play and we have what we have now!

Running sets up the pass, abd the pass sets up the run.

Defenses know they can crowd the line all day and wait for Brady to dump it off for a 3 yard gain. Because of this, they always have guys close to the line of scrimmage. When we hand it off, there are already 5 guys at the line filling gaps and stuffing the run. Our OL and RBs are always outnumbered and will have no chance until Brady proves to somebody that he can complete a few passes over 10 yards consistantly.

The defense is not taking our WRs out of the game, our QB is. Braylon is one of the best route runners in the league. I can recall 3 times already this year Braylon has been open, BQ had time, and BQ missed him because he just refuses to take a shot. Know why? His deep balls either hang in the air to long and DBs converge or the pass goes out of bounds thus, uncatchable.

Did I really just read "Braylon is one of the best route runners in the league"? I am not defending the poor play so far by Quinn, but let's not alter reality to make a point. BE is hardly one of the best route runners in the league.

Let's not forget that he had no targets, no defense, and no running game. This results in a young QB on a bad team to force some throws trying to make plays and ends up making mistakes. When your team is playing well around you, you get 29TDs and 10 wins.

Every time I see this, the same question comes to mind. If the sole reason for DA's struggles last year (and at the tail end of 2007) were caused by no targets, no defense, and no running game, why would you expect him to do any better right now? CLE still has no legit targets this year (BE only now vs. BE + KW last year), no defense, and no running game.

Every time I see this, the same question comes to mind. If the sole reason for DA's struggles last year (and at the tail end of 2007) were caused by no targets, no defense, and no running game, why would you expect him to do any better right now? CLE still has no legit targets this year (BE only now vs. BE + KW last year), no defense, and no running game.

and let's not forget the sterling 56 QB rating he had in preseason...with these very same WR's, RB's, and OL

Did I really just read "Braylon is one of the best route runners in the league"? I am not defending the poor play so far by Quinn, but let's not alter reality to make a point. BE is hardly one of the best route runners in the league.

Okay, let me rephrase. Braylon can beat anyone one-on-one and he has on a few occasions already this year. And I have the TV view so there may be even more opportunities lost.

Okay, let me rephrase. Braylon can beat anyone one-on-one and he has on a few occasions already this year. And I have the TV view so there may be even more opportunities lost.

Well, you named part of the problem right there....you have the TV view...where as the QB has the view of the backside of 5 300# guys, along with at least 4-5 other 280# guys coming at him...and another CB/S combination running around that he has to identify...all in about 3-7 seconds.

Now, I am sure that if BQ or DA had the TV view they could pick out that wide open receiver all day long...but they don't have that luxery.

Anyway, BE does just fine, but he is drawing over/under coverage, so even if he looks open, he may not be. And I would rather err on the side of caution than blow the team up with INT's.

The biggest difference is last year DA's recievers were taking us out of the game, Chud refusing to run took us out of the game, and the defense giving up points took us out of the game.

Now, the QB's innability to throw accurately for more than 10 yards is taking us out of the game. Reciever's are catching now but not getting the ball is taking us out of the game, Jamal had 5 yards a pop before defenses figured out BQ wasn't gonna smoke one over their heads so there is a running game there. And the defense is pretty solid for 3-1/2 quarters before they get exhausted. Now, more of these problems can be directly attributed to the QB's poor performance. The only way you don't see that is if you like college football more than pro football or if you just want Brady in at all costs.

When DA was doing good, people said "the BROWNS are doing good" When the Browns looked bad they said "DA sucks". I am not suggesting DA would come in and put up 42 points I just think the entire team is hurting mainly because of a QB that is playing not to suck instead of playing to win. And he has his entire life. It's just that in the pros, you can't win like that.

Well, you named part of the problem right there....you have the TV view...where as the QB has the view of the backside of 5 300# guys, along with at least 4-5 other 280# guys coming at him...and another CB/S combination running around that he has to identify...all in about 3-7 seconds.

Now, I am sure that if BQ or DA had the TV view they could pick out that wide open receiver all day long...but they don't have that luxery.

Anyway, BE does just fine, but he is drawing over/under coverage, so even if he looks open, he may not be. And I would rather err on the side of caution than blow the team up with INT's.

RIGHT! I only have the TV view and I have seen 3 blown plays because BQ can't get it there in time and so he eats the ball and falls down. And the plays I'm talking about were one-on-one situations and so I am certain he was open. There was no help outside/inside/over top. Now, imagine how many chances we haven't seen on the TV? Like when Furry was alone with a LB down the seam and BQ hit the LB in the back?! WTF?! That's pop-warner right there. Not to mention, DA seemed to have no problem seeing these open guys downfield when he was in there so "playing QB is hard" is not a good reason to be terrible. I'm not saying DA is the savior, that's just rediculous. It's just that BQ's issue are having direct effects on the production of the ENTIRE team. DA was benched when everyone agreed it wasn't all on him. Now, although it's not all on BQ; he certainly can be held accountable for much more than DA could have been and he is getting a free pass. It just seems like blind devotion to me. And it will continue to hurt this team unless BQ suddenly developes an arm, accuracy, poise, and respect over-night.

RIGHT! I only have the TV view and I have seen 3 blown plays because BQ can't get it there in time and so he eats the ball and falls down. And the plays I'm talking about were one-on-one situations and so I am certain he was open. There was no help outside/inside/over top. Now, imagine how many chances we haven't seen on the TV? Like when Furry was alone with a LB down the seam and BQ hit the LB in the back?! WTF?! That's pop-warner right there. Not to mention, DA seemed to have no problem seeing these open guys downfield when he was in there so "playing QB is hard" is not a good reason to be terrible. I'm not saying DA is the savior, that's just rediculous. It's just that BQ's issue are having direct effects on the production of the ENTIRE team. DA was benched when everyone agreed it wasn't all on him. Now, although it's not all on BQ; he certainly can be held accountable for much more than DA could have been and he is getting a free pass. It just seems like blind devotion to me. And it will continue to hurt this team unless BQ suddenly developes an arm, accuracy, poise, and respect over-night.

wow, talk about missing the point. my point was that you have no idea what HE is seeing. As for DA, he tends to lob it up regardless and hope his WR gets it.

Now, I admit BQ needs to do a little more of it, but the constant lobbing and inaccuracy by DA was killing us.

The biggest difference is last year DA's recievers were taking us out of the game, Chud refusing to run took us out of the game, and the defense giving up points took us out of the game.

Now, the QB's innability to throw accurately for more than 10 yards is taking us out of the game. Reciever's are catching now but not getting the ball is taking us out of the game, Jamal had 5 yards a pop before defenses figured out BQ wasn't gonna smoke one over their heads so there is a running game there. And the defense is pretty solid for 3-1/2 quarters before they get exhausted. Now, more of these problems can be directly attributed to the QB's poor performance. The only way you don't see that is if you like college football more than pro football or if you just want Brady in at all costs.

When DA was doing good, people said "the BROWNS are doing good" When the Browns looked bad they said "DA sucks". I am not suggesting DA would come in and put up 42 points I just think the entire team is hurting mainly because of a QB that is playing not to suck instead of playing to win. And he has his entire life. It's just that in the pros, you can't win like that.

How were the receivers taking us out of the game last year? They had some drops, and costly drops, but that was only one issue (by the way receivers are dropping just as many threw two games so far). CLE would attempt to run last year. It was just as predicatable as this year. The D last year gave the same as this year, two good quarters and a real bad half.

CLE isn't out of games because of throws more than 10 yards down field on O (they aren't helping, but they are hardly the first handful of issues_. There was barely time for those deeper plays to develope against DEN. Jamal had 5 yards a pop for about 3 runs at various time, to the LEFT side. That's got zero to do with the QB right now. That has to do with teams stack the left side and the right side being unable to run block or pass block. There are simply more issues with the O than just the QB. If it was just the QB, then the O wouldn't have looked exactly like this most of the preseason, regardless of who was at QB (which the O was worse statistically with DA in preseason).

When DA looked bad, I call him bad, not if it was just other areas looking bad. I call out all the areas that look bad when they do. The entire team is hurting from a lack of talent on the O side of the ball, and suspect play calling so far. The reality is, there is less talent on the O side of the ball right now than there was even last year. Winslow has been removed and not any player or combination of players has stepped up to fill his production.

and let's not forget the sterling 56 QB rating he had in preseason...with these very same WR's, RB's, and OL

Numbers only show part of the picture. What is Brady's career rating? 66.2. Sure it looks better on paper but how many games has he won with that steller rating? Hiding behind these stats that are basically identical is sad. Look with your eyes, who looks like they are doing a better job?

While we are on stats Brady's career yds/game average is 154. His int% is 2.5% DA's is 199yds/game with a 3.8int %; and has 43TDs and 35ints. ANY young QB would take those numbers any day of the week. I'm sure Brady would love to have those numbers right about now. MY GOD! DA threw 29TDs and 19ints in the only season that he had targets. IN HIS 3rd YEAR IN THE LEAGUE AND HIS 2nd SYSTEM! Anybody else would have won the job hands-down but DA still found himself in a QB competition. Why? 5,000,000 jerseys sold of #10.

We have all completely lost perspective on this debate. If you put DA out on the field with Quinn's jersey people would rave about his arm, his ability to read secondaries, and his potential to be a really good QB. If you put Quinn in DA's jersey right next to him, people would be talking about his weak arm, lack of poise, holding onto the ball too long, and not taking any chances.

mopaji -

I don't think you are going to have anyone disagreeing with you that Quinn has sucked the big one thus far. That's not a debate. What is funny is you trying to give us every recycled reason why Derek Anderson failed as the starter, we've heard them and discussed them all before.

Outside of playing well when there is no pressure (both in game and off the field), Anderson stunk it up big time man. No two ways about it. If he was anywhere as good as you think he is, he would be starting smoewhere in the league right now.

How were the receivers taking us out of the game last year? They had some drops, and costly drops, but that was only one issue (by the way receivers are dropping just as many threw two games so far).
CLE would attempt to run last year.  It was just as predicatable as this year.  The D last year gave the same as this year, two good quarters and a real bad half. 

Chud would run the ball, sometimes but never get a ground game going on any level. The D last year had the same problems as this year, they are on the field all day. That musch is true.

There was barely time for those deeper plays to develope against DEN

See, that is part of the problem, even whe Brady had time to throw, and he did have time on many occasions, he couldn't find anybody downfield. When other teams have that time we say "no CB can cover that long" well, they can when Brady is in there.

Jamal had 5 yards a pop for about 3 runs at various time, to the LEFT side. That's got zero to do with the QB right now.

It may have been mostly on the left side but it was successful anyways. The reason is Minn didn't know what to expect from BQ and so they were kept honest on defense in the first half. In the second half, they adjusted because they realized that he is not going to go downfield with any type of success. So they stacked the line. Denver started the game like that so they were already way ahead. That's why we looked bad from the first snap against Denver, because they knew what to do. It took Minn a half to figure it out.

There are simply more issues with the O than just the QB.

This is true. QB isn't our only issue, it's just the most important one right now.

suspect play calling so far

I actually think the playcalling has been fine. The only problem was the two wildcats in a row. Other than that I haven't seen a problem. Just because we haven't been successful doesn't mean the calls are bad. It means, like youe said, we don't have enough talent on the offense. Chud throwing it 40 times a game even in bad weather in a close game, THAT is bad playcalling. Dumping the ball off to stationary target isn't a product of playcalling. Do you see the problem now?

mopaji -

I don't think you are going to have anyone disagreeing with you that Quinn has sucked the big one thus far. That's not a debate. What is funny is you trying to give us every recycled reason why Derek Anderson failed as the starter, we've heard them and discussed them all before.

Outside of playing well when there is no pressure (both in game and off the field), Anderson stunk it up big time man. No two ways about it. If he was anywhere as good as you think he is, he would be starting smoewhere in the league right now.

That is true. I'm not saying DA is awesome, I just never thought BQ was any good and right now I think DA gives us a better chance. And the reasons DA stunk it up last year are valid. I just want to try and create some perspective on the debate.

You really need to just make up a consistent DA argument and use it for every post you make because there all variations of the same thing anyway.

Or,you could get off DA's jock and talk about the Browns.

Actually you're right. I do say basically the same thing but that's how I feel about it. Plus, Brady lover's always say the same thing. The difference is, when you prove them wrong, they start to insult rather than debate.

HAHAHAHAH Best route runner in the league?

This may be the funniest post of the year...

almost as bad as the announcers calling Eric Wright one of the best cornerbacks in the league...

Eh ahhhh? Braylon is one of the best route runners in the game. He can always get open in man coverage. In fact, the only person that can stop him one-on-one is him.

I heard them say that about Wright and I about barfed. I really think of the two starting CBs, he is the worst. They pick on him all day. B-Mac hardly gets a ball thrown his way.

Eh ahhhh? Braylon is one of the best route runners in the game. He can always get open in man coverage. In fact, the only person that can stop him one-on-one is him.

I heard them say that about Wright and I about barfed. I really think of the two starting CBs, he is the worst. They pick on him all day. B-Mac hardly gets a ball thrown his way.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. One of his glaring weaknesses last season was his inability to run the correct route and it's a reputation that has followed him since Michigan.

He does play well in one-on-one situations and usually wins. Problem is that he either drops the pass or is nowhere near where he should be.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. One of his glaring weaknesses last season was his inability to run the correct route and it's a reputation that has followed him since Michigan.

He does play well in one-on-one situations and usually wins. Problem is that he either drops the pass or is nowhere near where he should be.

You might be right about this. Maybe I should have said "Braylon gets open a lot". Saying he's one of the best route runners in the game sounded kind of over-the-top. I stand corrected.

Archived