THE BROWNS BOARD

Just a thought

dinkey33bw

Since we are clearly thin at DB, why not try Cribbs at nickel back (similar to the way the Patriots used Troy Brown). He is probably the best tackler on the team. He can run with anyone and he is taller than most DBs. He can't possible be worse than Terry Cousin.

Not a bad idea. I would prefer him as a WR, but maybe he doesn't run good routes....although I don't really trust THIS coaching staffs evaluations (if that is an issue).

Cribbs is clearly our best all-around player & should certainly be utilized outside of special teams more than he is. Of course, a REAL coach would already be taking advantage of the young man's value & abilities to a fuller extent.

Mike

OK, so let me get this straight. Cribbs should return kicks, punts, cover punts and kicks, play at WR, in the backfield and under center on occasion, AND line him up at corner or perhaps safety.

I think he has plenty to do as it is. It might sound like a good idea, until he runs out of gas and doesn't do anything up to his potential, when you need it.

I'm not afraid of running 22 and 24 out there as the 1 and 2 corner next season. Young guys, show lots of ability. I think it's more about learning on the job right now. BMac got beat badly, was trying to get Jones' attention to make sure he had help over the top, before the snap. I don't think he bit on the slugo move. I think he was expecting to have Jones there, and checked up on the run. Then, when he knew he was beat, tried to make the big play by trying to knock the ball down, rather than just trying to make the tackle, or intentionally getting a PI flag to stop the TD.

I don't think he'll make that mistake again. He dropped the one INT. I think you're just going to get games like this on occasion when young guys are learning the position. Ideally we would have had another corner or two, so these guys could learn on 40% of the snaps for the first year or two. We don't. And we need help elsewhere, way more than we need someone to come in and put a young kid who looks close, back on the bench where he can't make even close to as much progress.

I'm not saying he should start and play every down, maybe a handful of plays a game. I think we have two good CBs and they will only get better, I just think that in third and long situations he could help us out as a nickel back on a third wide out or a tight end. That has been a weak spot all year and I believe he would be an improvement.

Guest Masters
I'm not saying he should start and play every down, maybe a handful of plays a game. I think we have two good CBs and they will only get better, I just think that in third and long situations he could help us out as a nickel back on a third wide out or a tight end. That has been a weak spot all year and I believe he would be an improvement.

It's just too much to ask of him. Dudes in on O and all special teams now. You move him there, even on select times, it will take its toll.

My comment is meant as, while Cribbs is fantastic on special teams, I think his talent is under utilized there for a relatively few plays a game. This young man should be utilized as a full time player, whether on offense or defense....We have others to put on special teams. Sure, he would be missed there, but I would like to see his abilities utilized as a starter. Just my opinion.

Mike

Guest Masters
someone should have been calling time out on that 93 yd td. It was obvious the defense wasn't set right. BMac or the coaches...that woulda stopped that whole mess.

BMac was calling for help. So how he is the only guy who saw what was going on is beyond me. But you watch that replay and BMac could have tackled Royal right after the catch. But instead he decided to look like me on Madden accidently switching to the DB and using he hit stick. Why go for a ball that is already past you when you obviously knew you had not help over the top. Blah!

Cribbs needs to stay on special teams. The Browns get a huge advantage in the field position game with Cribbs doing what he is doing. He makes tackels on the 20 yard line and gets us to the 35 and 40 yard line on a pretty consistant basis. That is a huge factor and a critical one. There are 3 phases of the game in football and special teams is important. Cribbs owns special teams.

Also thats where I think the Bears screwed up. They take there big play special teams guy and make him into a wide reciever. What did they get out of it? A run of the mill reciever. So now they have a run of the mill special teams and a run of the mill reciever. Doesnt make much sense to me.

Guest Masters
Also thats where I think the Bears screwed up. They take there big play special teams guy and make him into a wide reciever. What did they get out of it? A run of the mill reciever. So now they have a run of the mill special teams and a run of the mill reciever. Doesnt make much sense to me.

Well in fairness to Hester, he has been hampered by injuries, and people just don't kick to him at all anymore. But the point is well received. Don't over work guys just cause they might be able to do more. More work usually means suffering some where. I'd rather have Cribbs lighting it up on special teams (not just returns but his return coverage) and making the occassional play on O.

There's that whole hip swivel thing most CB's have...

I dont think Josh has it.

He also doesn't have the jukes/moves/quickness that kick returners like Devin Hester have. And he manages to be the best kick/punt returner in the NFL. He can figure corner/nickback out. Easily. It's hard to believe he wouldn't have a positive impact on the defense. Real hard. Well, shit, is it humanly possible to make the defense any worse?

Archived