THE BROWNS BOARD

Sam Bradford Cleveland 2010

Adz1987

Week 3 and we are already looking forward to the draft. It's pathetic but true based on the number of posts in this thread. As long as the Lerner's keep unproven nfl head coaches such i.e. Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo, and now Mangini....We WILL LOSE. From the beginning I was vocal in wanting Brian Asshole as the Browns coach because not only do his teams have great defenses, he has won the big game (Super Bowl), is familiar with the AFC north, and is familiar with Jamal Lewis and Derrick Anderson.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FSN showed a Bearcats/ Fresno game tonight, pretty interesting stuff.

Tony Pike looked fantastic, he could hit the short and mid ranged passes flawlessly and threw well on the move. He had a few deep strikes on the money as well, definitely looked better than anything we've fielded the last 10 seasons.

He has a nice arm and throws a high rpm ball with little wobble, extremely catchable. It looks like laser shots on anything within the 20 yard mark, bullets that don't drop and are just there.

He's got a nice release, not the fastest I've seen but no where near the slowest, it's very quick and would translate well to the NFL.

18/26 for 300 yards and 3 tds, great performance.

Some of his nicest passes were in the 8-13 yard range, receiver slants and te plays.

BIG PLUS

On 3rd downs he made sure he threw PAST the first down marker.

On an off note, while probably not an NFL caliber back Isaiah Pead had some nice touches even though his total yards didn't show it, Fresno played most of the game with 8 in the box so the Bearcats just passed all day.

I'm a Cincinnati Grad and I've watched Tony Pike the last two years. This guy can play in the NFL. I'd love to see him in an orange helmet.

I watched him last week against Oregon State. He was very very efficient. He's got a shot at playing.

Walter football has us taking Jimmy Clausen.

notre dame football players have the highest graduation rate among all 1-a schools at around 95%. white players greaduate 100% of the time and black kids are at 90%. clausen is staying. on a side note: ohio state ha the lowest rate of graduation at 33%. way to go jimmy t.

I like Jake Lockers skill set, but I think he needs one more year of college before going to the NFL.

Didn't catch the Stanford game, but his stat line (16/31, 191 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT) suggests you're right about him needing another year.

You're also right about him possessing an intriguing skill set.

He'll likely be a top ten pick in 2011.

LockerSark.jpg

I like Pike!

I'm a Cincinnati Grad and I've watched Tony Pike the last two years. This guy can play in the NFL. I'd love to see him in an orange helmet.

I watched him last week against Oregon State. He was very very efficient. He's got a shot at playing.

I like him as well...

Me too.

Pike's a guy I'm watching very closely. Still need to see him tear apart a good defense, which could happen Oct. 15 against USF. But he's shown a lot of poise in some semi-tough road games this year.

Walter football has us taking Jimmy Clausen. Weis knows his QB's, I see nothing going wrong here.

Do they have Charlie being our O coordinator? If Weiss knows his QBs, then we don't need one with Quinn on board. I see Quinn and I see a guy who has poor accuracy on intermediate to deep throws. He has to wind up and really seems to be overthrowing the ball when the situation calls for a deep out or square in, which has manifested in sub-NFL accuracy.

To get away with an average arm, a QB has to throw the ball on anticipation and be deadly accurate. I'm not sure if Quinn doesn't trust his own arm, but he really seems to try to "muscle up" on the longer throws and a lot of them end up uncatchable.

Didn't catch the Stanford game, but his stat line (16/31, 191 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT) suggests you're right about him needing another year.

You're also right about him possessing an intriguing skill set.

Jake Locker is as fun to watch as any QB in the country. He came from a tiny high school that ran the wing T offense.

If history teaches us anything the good qb's are coming out of mainstream colleges anymore. I mean look at Big Gay Ben...Miami of Ohio. Joe Flacco....Delaware. Steve McNair (R.I.P) Alcorn State. Plenty that have come from big name schools have fallen flat on their faces Matt Leinart (USC)...Rex Grossman (Florida)....Drew Henson (Michigan)*

*Incidently Drew Henson hasn't touched a football in at least 5 years while his "understudy" has been to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 of them and he was drafted in the 6th round.

Drafting in the first round for a QB isn't always the answer.

If Sam Bradford couldn't survive against BYU with one of the more talented lineups - what would be his prognosis behind this line against the defenses in our division?

Be CAREFUL about the Big 12 Qbs - they don't play a lick of defense in that conference. IMO, it could be an enormous false positive. For example, Graham Harrell posted eye popping numbers and he couldn't make our QB deprived outfit. He's in the CFL today - if he even made it there.

Here's another thing to consider - Bradford is used to being on a talented team that is well coached. He comes here and he gets the SAME culture shock that many of our Head Coaches found when they came from the land of Parcells or BB only to find there's no Lawrence Taylors or Tom Bradys here. Just an FYI, BB was winless in NE until Brady replaced Bledsoe. Look it up. Even the best coaches on the planet need an X-factor or 2. The same holds true with the QBs.

Ask yourself this Sunday regardless of who is starting at QB - WHO do you want the football to go to. WHO does the opposing defense need to worry about. If you have a good answer - I'm all ears.

- Tom F.

The more I think about it, I say draft Tebow and run a dual QB system with Cribbs as the other.

Dump both DA and Quinn..they are a couple of stiffs.

Just run the spread option and move the chains and score.

This is where EVERY Qb controversy in Cleveland starts....take a qb , don't take a QB, Take Bradford don't take Bradford, Take McCoy don't take McCoy, don't take a Qb in first round, don't take a qb from this conference, don't take a qb till we have ALL first round O-lineman....FKN STUPID! EVERY FKN YEAR SAME FKN BULLSHIT! DRAFT A QB WITH OUR #1 PICK....PERIOD!

Thing is, it doesn't matter who you draft at qb, even a great qb will get his rear kicked in with no oline.

No protection, no running game, no successful qb.

Leinart deserved better, so did a lot of qb's.

Archie Manning was a great one, the most prominent example I can remember.

He got the snot beaten out of him. Look at the teams those qb's go to.

Flacco? Give me a break. Top 5 defense, great rbs, great TE, etc.. fixed oline.

Barfsonhisburger? #1 defense, great rbs', great receivers, good oline...

Alex Smith? Went to the Niners in a bad situation, got beaten up, "all gone".

Leinart? Went to the earlier Cards. Bad situation then.

You build the team on the lines, then with the engine running, you add the wr's and qb on offense, and it works.

It takes a veteran qb to handle the pressure of a poor offense, otherwise, the rookie qb gets

beaten to a pulp trying to learn the game.

Lumbergh... Did you watch the Arizona / Oregon St game? I ask because I didn't see Pike against your defense, but sophomore Nick Foles of Arizona seemed to have just as good of a game in the box score against the Beavers and they both have similar frames. Obviously Foles has had one career start and Pike is a Pro QB next season, but I just wanted to get an outsiders opinion of what they saw from Foles.

Thing is, it doesn't matter who you draft at qb, even a great qb will get his rear kicked in with no oline.

No protection, no running game, no successful qb.

Leinart deserved better, so did a lot of qb's.

Archie Manning was a great one, the most prominent example I can remember.

He got the snot beaten out of him. Look at the teams those qb's go to.

Flacco? Give me a break. Top 5 defense, great rbs, great TE, etc.. fixed oline.

Barfsonhisburger? #1 defense, great rbs', great receivers, good oline...

Alex Smith? Went to the Niners in a bad situation, got beaten up, "all gone".

Leinart? Went to the earlier Cards. Bad situation then.

You build the team on the lines, then with the engine running, you add the wr's and qb on offense, and it works.

It takes a veteran qb to handle the pressure of a poor offense, otherwise, the rookie qb gets

beaten to a pulp trying to learn the game.

P.S we have a pro-bowl LT, a 40Mill LG and a Number #1 pick at Center....you can grab any 3 round RT and will be head and shoulder above what we have, or book end this line with a second round Rt...just draft a Franchise QB.....with #1! EXCLAMATION

Just an FYI, BB was winless in NE until Brady replaced Bledsoe. Look it up. Even the best coaches on the planet need an X-factor or 2. The same holds true with the QBs.

- Tom F.

2000 season

the Pats under Bledsoe were 5-11 Brady's rookie season where he only took I believe 6 snaps

lost 1 game and had one postponed due to 9-11

Brady took over in the "2nd" game and lost to the Jets after Bledsoe went down with a collapsed lung

Brady went down in the AFC championship game vs the Steelers and Bledsoe, not Brady won the game (Bledsoe only played a total of 3 games 2001)

Brady went on to win the superbowl

and here's the referances

http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflsbar/nflsch2000.htm (2000 season record)

http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflsbar/nflsch2001.htm (2001 season record)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady (remaining lose details)

Archived