THE BROWNS BOARD

Sam Bradford Cleveland 2010

Adz1987

P.S we have a pro-bowl LT, a 40Mill LG and a Number #1 pick at Center....you can grab any 3 round RT and will be head and shoulder above what we have, or book end this line with a second round Rt...just draft a Franchise QB.....with #1! EXCLAMATION

I agree.

The line is bad because of the RT...we fix that and continue to bring is reasonable back-ups and the line isn't far from being fixed...assuming mack continues to improve and turn out to be close to his draft position...he doesn't have to be all pro, but he does need to turn in to a player who makes a few pro bowls in his career and is generally viewed as a top 10 player at his position.

You don't need the top players...just several top 5-10 players.

But qb is the key...too bad it's the hardest position to draft...who next year....Bradford? McCoy, Pike, Tebow??

And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solon,

Of course I see Peyton Manning. In his rookie year, he had a fine running game, good protection, and

he had Marvin Harrison.

Sure, Harrison's numbers soared. But Harrison was THERE for Manning.

And they could pass protect, apparently. They ran the ball well.

And STILL Manning threw 28 interceptions.

You must have a solid working oline. The Browns are very close. But I'm glad they gave up on

Tucker, he just kept getting hurt, with no legit backup to take over. Bad move.

• 1 month later...

Sorry but We must start over again with a young stud Qb...I think he is Matt Ryan. i agree we have no talent at the impact O positions but that includes the most Important skill position in all of pro sports...the QB. Get a vet and put in Bradford next year mid way or get a vet and start him right out of the box...but we absolutely need a RB and a #1 WR. so either take Bradford or get Dez Bryant....can get great RB in second round.

I'm a Cincinnati Grad and I've watched Tony Pike the last two years. This guy can play in the NFL. I'd love to see him in an orange helmet.

Exactly, Pike is everything that we wanted DA to be a big pocket passing strong armed QB but he has accuracy and touch unlike DA. Id say Pike in the 3rd round a stud powerback in the second and Spikes, Mays or Berry in the first. We can fix the right side off the line in FA there are some solid OL guys to be had in FA.

Bradford has a water pistol for an arm, I think McCoy is a bust waiting to happen and Locker is another Vince Young. Lets wait till the 3rd and steal Pike while filling holes in the first two rounds.

"Bradford has a water pistol for an arm" that's funny.....not true but funny.

Shoulder issues at qb aren't good....we will have to do a lot of reviewing the med records and a lot of close scouting.

If the kid was 100% healthy, sure... but I suspect he's not and the water pistol comment might not be that far from the truth.

Agree peen but he has 1 injury...lotsa doctors will be involved and that will determine all but I've watched him forever(austin, tx) he has an arm and is very accurate. All the hooting and holleran aside...we need a franchise Qb and I think my (estimated)second pick in the draft just went to #1.

I so much wanted this draft to be about bolstering the D and getting a good RB, and now it looks like we have almost nothing on offense. We can build around Thomas and Mack on the line and hope that our young receivers develop-- that's about it.

I don't know Prof...we have so many holes, we can still just go BPA, be it D or O.

Drafting for a position can help you in the short term, and help make some marginal improvements, but in the long run, the best way to fill a Swiss cheese roster is to draft the best players, then as you get better you can target specific positions.

Short term it might not help you win that many more games, but short term isn't a good way to think when you are building anything.

If we have the opportunity to nab Pike in the 3rd, we're stupid if we don't. Personally, I think he'll be gone and we should go for him earlier, but that's just me. I am completely floored by this kid, he has all the physical attributes, strong mechanics, and he shows a great deal of heart. The only knock on him is that his backup came in and played outstandingly in his absence, which makes people believe Pike may just be a product of the system.

As for Bradford...I'd rather trade away our pick and get four 7th round DT's instead of drafting Bradford. I just flat out don't like the kid, and I don't believe he'll translate into a viable starting NFL QB. I could be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I don't know Prof...we have so many holes, we can still just go BPA, be it D or O.

Drafting for a position can help you in the short term, and help make some marginal improvements, but in the long run, the best way to fill a Swiss cheese roster is to draft the best players, then as you get better you can target specific positions.

Short term it might not help you win that many more games, but short term isn't a good way to think when you are building anything.

Yeah, given how many holes there are, it probably does make best sense just to go BPA. I'm hopeful that a RB turns out to be BPA in an early round because a special RB can make a difference early on, and just give us someone to root for.

Yeah, given how many holes there are, it probably does make best sense just to go BPA. I'm hopeful that a RB turns out to be BPA in an early round because a special RB can make a difference early on, and just give us someone to root for.

No doubt....if we draft where it looks like we are going to draft...assuming no trade downs, I don't think there are any backs worth a top 2-3 pick ...right now, with little study on the matter, my perception is D is where the pick will go as that seems to be where the top players reside.

JMO....at this time ;)

well if we dont get the best Offensive player with the top pick(unless it's suh) on a team with the worst offense in 75 years in the NFL...then we are just fkn stupid team and I quit!

First.....you won't quit.

Like i said, if Bradford is healthy he becomes a player in the Mix...Suh has to be one, and Berry another.

Me, i just take the BPA....but...if we do target a position or side of the ball, one line of thinking is which side is closer to being NFL level...I would say the D. Suh and berry couldn't be considerd reach picks and are top players....they might have a more immediate inpact towards actually winning some games.

The QB if taken is still surrounded by a inferior line and a lack of weapons at receiver and RB...though Davis shows some promise..if he can stay on the field.

I am not saying I disagree with you because i don't....just saying there are several angles one needs to consider when deciding on which way to proceed.

Also...would a simple coaching change at OC have a positive impact on the overall performance of the O??

Also....what we do in FA will have a big impact on what direction we take in the draft...I think we have to see how that goes before we start drawing lines in the sand on what we need and who we should take.

Ballpeen, thank you again for that post.

I think what's going to happen here (and I am no more an expert than anyone else) is that the second half will see continued improvement in the defense and the team will be in tighter games. I think that Lerner really wants to keep Mangini and I think that if a real football mind comes in he may be of the mindset that Mangini gets another year provided he makes changes to the coaching staff.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I think that (whether it's 5%, 20% or 100% his fault) Brian Daboll has fallen short of what's expected. I don't think that anyone can really disagree with that.

As for the original question in the post, I have watched Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy play many games. I'm a Longhorn homer but I decided long ago that I wasn't going to hate Sam any more because I want to give credit where it's due. In all honesty, Sam has a great release and nice accuracy. He's a good sized guy. That said, as a doctor, I'm very worried about what happened to this kid (thanks Coach Stoops...). I don't have any medical information in front of me but two quick injuries to the throwing shoulder in a QB should be great cause for concern. The other concern I have is that while Sam can move his feet a little, he's not very athletic back there. I don't want to say he's Drew Bledsoe-slow but the thought does cross the mind.

I will recuse myself from The Colt except to say that he's won as many games as anyone in the history of college football. I think his arm is good enough. His accuracy is good enough and he's plenty mobile. The problem I'm seeing this year is reminiscent of what happened a few years ago. When he feels like he has no running game and it's all on his shoulders...he tends to push. In the UCF game (as I think Solon posted...) he frequently was staring down receivers and throwing late across his body into the middle of the field "to make something happen". I don't know that this is typical for him but since he hasn't had as good a year as last year...perhaps he becomes a bargain in the second round.

There are reasons why both of these guys would not be good fits here. Spare me the Tony Pike talk. Parcells would never pick Pike. Locker? Maybe. Clausen? Isn't one QB from ND enough?

I think the first pick should go to a different position. I'm thinking SF, OL or TE. OL won't be popular but it's the safest pick with great upside. If there's a road-grader RT available, I'd take him.

Just my .02. I could be wrong.

I'm in Austin too earl....I agree somewhat with your post, bradford 'if recovers and we won't know that for awhile' is 6'5 pretty mobile highly accurate and doesn't have a water pistol for an arm...I don't think we can take a RT with a top 3 pick...sorry there....Suh, or best offensive player....this is worst offense in 75 years...i think we are stupid not to get a play maker on offense....and i think we desperately need a QB. If you are in top 3 (to me) only position worth the cash is a QB

i think we are stupid not to get a play maker on offense....and i think we desperately need a QB. If you are in top 3 (to me) only position worth the cash is a QB

we had one of the worst defenses in years last year and everyone said we will definitely be taking a pass rusher. i think we take suh or barry, or at least i hope so.

Archived