THE BROWNS BOARD

Pro Anderson thread

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

I like DA so much better than Quinn. If we are going to give anyone young QB any rope to struggle and get better, I say it be DA.

His touch was a lot better on the short throws. He still ain't afraid to let'er rip. Dial him down a bit and he definately has more up-side.

Hopefully those that are going to get their feelings hurt about Quinn being 'done', don't whine here. I want to hear from other like minded that DA has horseballs, a cannon and the mentality to use it. Let the kid sling the shit out of it, more entertaining than Quinzzzzzzz.

At Season end we evaulate. I've seen enough of Quinzzzzz. He's a bore and not worth the price of an NFL ticket.

WOW,

I'll readily admit that ive seen about enough of Quinn but to say DA and the interception bus are our future is lowering the bar quite a bit isnt it?

It seems apparent we will be picking somewhere between 1 and 1 in the next draft and you want to stay with DA next year to?

see I dont know if the OC has 0 trust in BQ or not, but BQ is not throwing the ball something which Anderson is not afraid to do. Interceptions are terrible. But not seeing any touchdowns in much worse. And playing 70% of Snaps to Quinn equates to 11 million. I say save the money if u have 0 confidence in ur QB's.

Do you think adding Marvin Harrison next to BE will help improve our chances ?

no but putting Furrey next to him will, Cribbs is not a viable receiver.

see I dont know if the OC has 0 trust in BQ or not, but BQ is not throwing the ball something which Anderson is not afraid to do. Interceptions are terrible. But not seeing any touchdowns in much worse. And playing 70% of Snaps to Quinn equates to 11 million. I say save the money if u have 0 confidence in ur QB's.

I think it's more so about Quinn not having any confidence, and having a lot of pressure knowing that with any mistake, he can be benched. DA has nothing to lose so he just airs it out.

His touch was a lot better on the short throws. He still ain't afraid to let'er rip. Dial him down a bit and he definately has more up-side.

Let the alcohol wear off and then post after watching the game again. DA isn't the answer anymore than Quinn. But I agree might as well play DA until we get a QB.

DA is who DA is.

We already have that quantified and we saw it all in one half of football today.

1) How do you get sacked without getting touched? Watch DA fall down in the pocket when forced to move a little. He has no athleticism (sorry Z, but you're out to lunch on that one). None for an NFL QB. This isn't necessarily a huge deal, but we all know not to expect much if he has to move. (i.e., cockpit isn't perfect)

2) Decision making. Rusty? Sure, maybe. Watch the first INT again. Where, exactly, did he think that ball would fit other than into the defender's hip? That wasn't trying to make something happen, that was just an awful decision. 2 more INT's follow.

3) Accuracy. His nearly fourth INT on the pass to Furrey.

Maybe he gives us the best chance to win, but that's only because we don't have another option if indeed its "stick a fork in Quinn time". Its too bad, because I think being forced to "invest" more development time in DA is most likely a poor bet.

I agree. Anderson has tons of upside. He has the arm and size. After all, this is a guy who had 29 tds and 19 int in 07. GO DA. And maybe we will beat the bengals. Remember? After the first game, we played like gangbusters in cinci with DA. Anything goes.

I thought you were leaving these boards...

Goodbye, and so long!

...That took a lot less time than I thought.

Guest ATENEARS
WOW,

I'll readily admit that ive seen about enough of Quinn but to say DA and the interception bus are our future is lowering the bar quite a bit isnt it?

It seems apparent we will be picking somewhere between 1 and 1 in the next draft and you want to stay with DA next year to?

I'm not saying lock into him for the future, I'm saying if we are going to work with one of these kids, I say it be DA. Quinn is everything I do not like in a QB.

We will evaluate at season end. I really don't care to see Quinn anymore.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Couldn't agree with you more. Here is a list of pro-Anderson topics.

- He is still young, 26, and has the size you look for in a starting QB at 6'6, 230.

- We all know about his cannon arm, I love watching the guy throw the ball, but as we saw today, he had a number of good short throws -- something he has been criticized on in the past.

- The receiving core wants Derek. We all know Braylon is pro-D.A., but I get the impression that Furrey and Massaquoi are on his side, especially MoMass (They had a great pre-season together). We have weapons at WR, now it is a matter of getting them the ball since Quinn is afraid to throw to anyone that is not a RB or TE.

- A lot of people talk about the upside to D.A. -- the reason I believe his upside is better than Quinn's is because you can always teach decision making, timing and better accuracy on short throws -- what are we eve going to do to teach Quinn to throw deep? Some guys have it and some guys don't. Quinn failing to have an accurate deep ball, or even attempt a deep ball, does not keep defenses honest and the safeties end up playing tight on every play. The ceiling is higher for Mr. Anderson.

- His attitude is what we need -- a guys with guts. Quinn seems way too uptight while D.A. plays the game to have fun it seems like.

- Anderson deserves it after leading the team to a 10-6 record. Last season was full of drops, injuries and poor coaching. Maybe if Quinn wouldn't have held out in 2007 and got into camp, we would not be having this conversation.

I know a lot of this is pure opinion. I will support whoever is at the helm. If Quinn is our QB, I hope we win every game -- but I think our team is better with D.A.

DA is who DA is.

We already have that quantified and we saw it all in one half of football today.

1) How do you get sacked without getting touched? Watch DA fall down in the pocket when forced to move a little. He has no athleticism (sorry Z, but you're out to lunch on that one). None for an NFL QB. This isn't necessarily a huge deal, but we all know not to expect much if he has to move. (i.e., cockpit isn't perfect)

2) Decision making. Rusty? Sure, maybe. Watch the first INT again. Where, exactly, did he think that ball would fit other than into the defender's hip? That wasn't trying to make something happen, that was just an awful decision. 2 more INT's follow.

Maybe he gives us the best chance to win, but that's only because we don't have another option if indeed its "stick a fork in Quinn time". Its too bad, because I think being forced to "invest" more development time in DA is most likely a poor bet.

1. The turf caught his foot. It happens once in a lifetime.

2. Decision making was awful. But then again, when was the last time he actually played in a game? Against Tenn?

3. Accuracy. Yes, he does have some problems with accuracy. He had some nice throws, too. Watch the pass to Edwards on that slant route. It was perfect. However, some of the other passes were awful. He did spread the field, though. I did LIKE that.

I like DA so much better than Quinn. If we are going to give anyone young QB any rope to struggle and get better, I say it be DA.

Hopefully those that are going to get their feelings hurt about Quinn being 'done', don't whine here. I want to hear from other like minded that DA has horseballs, a cannon and the mentality to use it. Let the kid sling the shit out of it, more entertaining than Quinzzzzzzz.

At Season end we evaulate. I've seen enough of Quinzzzzz. He's a bore and not worth the price of an NFL ticket.

i've been trying to be neutral, but many know that i'm a closet DA fan. He showed too much presence in 07 to move to the back-up role.

But Mangini had to play Quinn, and i supported it. i explained that Mangini has the luxury of using a short leash on Quinn. i thought it would be 4 games (and i got beat up pretty bad here for suggesting it). i had no idea that he would pull the trigger after just 2.5 games. He must have wanted to get this done pretty bad. i think we could have finished that slaughter today with Quinn under center.

Mangini has worked himself into tral pickle now. i'll be if he could do it over, Quinn would have finished and he would have started DA with a clean slate against the Bengals.

Guest ATENEARS
i've been trying to be neutral, but many know that i'm a closet DA fan. He showed too much presence in 07 to move to the back-up role.

But Mangini had to play Quinn, and i supported it. i explained that Mangini has the luxury of using a short leash on Quinn. i thought it would be 4 games (and i got beat up pretty bad here for suggesting it). i had no idea that he would pull the trigger after just 2.5 games. He must have wanted to get this done pretty bad. i think we could have finished that slaughter today with Quinn under center.

Mangini has worked himself into tral pickle now. i'll be if he could do it over, Quinn would have finished and he would have started DA with a clean slate against the Bengals.

Stop waffling Ed .. who would you rather see we give time to the rest of the way?

I agree. DA is a good QB. I just feel bad for DA. I wish Quinn would of finished, and DA would start against cinci.

Guest ATENEARS
Hey atenears, what was the problem with Quinn? Was he scared of being benched or was it the baltimore defense?

He is just a pussy. Afraid to throw up field.

Uses three hair care products to get ready for an evening. Do I have to spell it out?

DA has big giant horseballs. The kid is not a pussy and will launch the rock.

Quinn who? Forget that bust.

Do you think adding Marvin Harrison next to BE will help improve our chances ?

I think just removing BE from the field would improve our chances to actually grow as a unit because right now BE is the only target and he is a marked man..that lacks everything but a circus catch...

Jeez...that didn't take long did it.

That big strong arm looks that good to you despite not knowing where it's going half the time?

I'm rooting for whoever is starting, so I don't really care either way and Quinn sure has looked shitty this year compared to last year and even in the preseason.

I disliked Quinn in college, and I hated the Quinn draft pick, but those both pale in comparison to how much I hate to watch Brady Quinn play QB for our Browns. Right now, tonight, I hope DA is the QB for the rest of the year. That being said, NEITHER QB is our championship leader. Only one QB will be on the roster next year (God, please not Quinn, please???) and both will be gone for the start of the 2011 season.

DA is who DA is.

Someone suggested the turf sacked him. I don't have a recording but that's not what I remember seeing.

I don't believe the turf had much, if anything to do with that sack. I think he was hearing footsteps. (Whether they were there or not.) He's not without athleticism. He used to run high hurdles.

Both QBs looked like they were playing scared and feared getting the hook after the next down.

At least the HC did get to see both QBs play against the same #2 defense from last season.

I love DA.. for comic relief. I love watching him stare down recievers and watch the DB step in front of the pass. I love to watch him throw the ball right into the teeth of triple coverage. I thoroughly enjoys watching him fall down over his big clown feet with all defenders 6 feet away from him. He is a Joy and a pleasure.. It's almost like watching a circus clown.. it's hilarious watching him make exactly the same mistakes he made all last year. it's comedy at its finest..

But it's not good football.

Stop waffling Ed .. who would you rather see we give time to the rest of the way?

I'll go with the interception machine the rest of the year. This season is toast anyway- like Quinn gave up almost 400 passing yards to Flacco- Hello, Sam Bradford\Colt McCoy.

no but putting Furrey next to him will, Cribbs is not a viable receiver.

I think it's more so about Quinn not having any confidence, and having a lot of pressure knowing that with any mistake, he can be benched. DA has nothing to lose so he just airs it out.

i disagree jerky. i don't think it's because he has nothing to lose, he has MILLIONS to lose. he airs it out because that's who he is.

you don't think DA is worried about making mistakes, or about being benched? he's been counted out so much...people consider him such a non-factor they think he got where he is by accident or something, like he has no drive or ambition.

i have never wavered on this board in years in saying i've seen improvement from the guy EVERY year. maybe it wasn't huge strides but he's worked on his game nonetheless and you can see it if you were looking for it. he was only throwing to one side of the field at first. then he cut down on the risks and had less picks (when not playing from behind mind you). then his footwork and touch showed some improvement. personally, i think when he drops back he looks pretty smooth out there. but hey, i'm looking for improvement tweaks, not dwelling on his faults that get beat to death here.

one of my favorite attributes of his is his short memory. i think it was phil simms or rich gannon that said in '07 they felt he had the perfect temperament to play QB. that's a big statement IMO, and for an accomplished QB to say it I listen. he's been yanked from starting multiple times yet i've never heard one person remark they are worried "his confidence might be shattered" etc. it's always downplayed that he has nothing to lose, like BJ said. i never worry if he'll bounce back. he's 2,000 miles from home with a fanbase out here the size of a hot dog line at the stadium and he still holds his head high. that's unflappable confidence. that's the type of a leader that people can feed off of. and his laid back attitude>>>when the going gets tough that's the type of personality that will calm down the huddle in a high pressure situation like the playoffs.

those are my favorite things about the guy. go figure, and i didn't even mention his arm.

I guess Anderson will be the lesser of the 2 evils. I say we keep him in there the rest of the season....or until he gets hurt. The way I see it....DA has the physical tools, but lacks the mentality. A good coach may be able to help him mature to a "smarter" state. At this point, I don't think Quinn has the ability to play in the NFL. I was pulling for him to play, so we could get an idea of what he could do and honestly.....I've seen all I need to see.

Guest ATENEARS
i disagree jerky. i don't think it's because he has nothing to lose, he has MILLIONS to lose. he airs it out because that's who he is.

you don't think DA is worried about making mistakes, or about being benched? he's been counted out so much...people consider him such a non-factor they think he got where he is by accident or something, like he has no drive or ambition.

i have never wavered on this board in years in saying i've seen improvement from the guy EVERY year. maybe it wasn't huge strides but he's worked on his game nonetheless and you can see it if you were looking for it. he was only throwing to one side of the field at first. then he cut down on the risks and had less picks (when not playing from behind mind you). then his footwork and touch showed some improvement. personally, i think when he drops back he looks pretty smooth out there. but hey, i'm looking for improvement tweaks, not dwelling on his faults that get beat to death here.

one of my favorite attributes of his is his short memory. i think it was phil simms or rich gannon that said in '07 they felt he had the perfect temperament to play QB. that's a big statement IMO, and for an accomplished QB to say it I listen. he's been yanked from starting multiple times yet i've never heard one person remark they are worried "his confidence might be shattered" etc. it's always downplayed that he has nothing to lose, like BJ said. i never worry if he'll bounce back. he's 2,000 miles from home with a fanbase out here the size of a hot dog line at the stadium and he still holds his head high. that's unflappable confidence. that's the type of a leader that people can feed off of. and his laid back attitude>>>when the going gets tough that's the type of personality that will calm down the huddle in a high pressure situation like the playoffs.

those are my favorite things about the guy. go figure, and i didn't even mention his arm.

Great post. I've seen this kid continue to work on his game as well. Yesterday called for airing it out at all cost, and he did. But for those who watched, DA's short passes were much improved and included a bit of touch on the ball as well.

I hope he starts, after getting all the reps and the game plan drawn around him. It's our only chance of offense we have.

Let's work with this kid, he is light years ahead of Quinn.

Archived